Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's almost like different people are in different situations. If I lived in suburban florida and the nearest place to shop was some horribly depressing mall I needed to drive 20 min in terrible traffic and deal with a huge busy mall parking lot and lovely underpaid undermotivated teenage staff I'd probably shop online a hell of a lot more. Online shopping is probably way more pleasant for a lot of people depending on where they live and what they like to buy.

But where I live I can walk out my door and be at a big department store or a pleasant shopping street in about 10 min. The trip out itself is nice, it's nice to be out in the fresh air and walking around without any burden of a car. The department store has great and knowledgeable staff that help me find things and recommend things. I can touch and try things on right there, and even if I change my mind afterwards it's just a 10 min walk to take it back. I go when things are on sale and pay less than if I bought online, plus I can find and get things far faster. I find online shopping incredibly frustrating because you end up having to go to a million different web sites to find what you're looking for and often I don't know what I'm looking for. If I know the exact cut, size, colour, and brand of shirt I want I can go to their website and get it, although probably at a higher price than in-store because they're not going to undercut their retail. But if I just have a general idea like "I'd like a nice shirt in a heavier fabric maybe a linen blend in a cut that looks good on me" I don't even know where to start. I've tried in the past to shop for something as simple as "a shirt" online and always end up spending a good 30-40 min just learning the names of all the different brands, going to their websites, or using horrible search systems on amazon to find them. Add to that that brands love to change what they call things every year. "Fitted" is now called "syle fit" while "baggy sack of poo poo" is now called "cool fit" and next year we'll call it all something else, so gently caress you if you have a shirt you like and you know the size, style, and fit type because that information is now useless next year.

Contrast to a department store where I can just walk in, see where they have all the sort of shirts I'm looking for and quickly browse. Online is fine when you already know exactly what you want, but it's garbage for browsing when you're in a "I'll know it when I see it" shopping mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

i absolutely love that you get so bothered by my forums presence that you're going to get on to me about how it's not bougie at all to just send delivery people back and forth returning clothing you never intended to keep to an online retailer because you can't be bothered to drive yourself to a store

So you really don't understand the difference between 40 and a few hundred.

Wow. Education really needs some work in this country.

E: VVV Again, obviously there are some people who can't afford $40, but to claim being able to access the sum of $40 is bougie is something else.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 9, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For a lot of people tying up an extra $40 for a few weeks actually is a tough thing to do. I know that seems insane to people financially comfortable but a shocking number of people are that tight week to week. It's also a lot bigger time/attention focus. Just going out and getting the right thing in one trip and forgetting about it feels a lot easier than going online, buying a few things for $120, waiting a few days, picking one of the 3 that hopefully is good and correct, then sending the other 2 back and waiting for the remaining $80 to return to you. During that week they're going to feel financially strained as well, they now have to wait for the money to come back. What if something goes wrong? What if they filled out a label wrong? What if they didn't read some fine print? It can be stressful and why not avoid that stress. Online shopping isn't going to be chosen by someone if it's more stressful than shopping in person, especially if there's no savings.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

For a lot of people tying up an extra $40 for a few weeks actually is a tough thing to do. I know that seems insane to people financially comfortable but a shocking number of people are that tight week to week.

surely they could just downgrade to an older model iphone or eat at home one extra night a week???

-or-

but these people are eating rice and beans and pawning their microwaves, that's real poverty. they can't afford online shopping at all, the poor wretches can barely leave the house on the way to the work-mill?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Why should I have to afford $40 extra to buy a $20 shirt, just because clothes sizes and online merchants are intentionally confusing and do not adhere to proper standards?

You wouldn't accept it if every other thing you bought made you pay 300% of the price and only got the extra 2/3 refunded after a week.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

For a lot of people tying up an extra $40 for a few weeks actually is a tough thing to do. I know that seems insane to people financially comfortable but a shocking number of people are that tight week to week. It's also a lot bigger time/attention focus. Just going out and getting the right thing in one trip and forgetting about it feels a lot easier than going online, buying a few things for $120, waiting a few days, picking one of the 3 that hopefully is good and correct, then sending the other 2 back and waiting for the remaining $80 to return to you. During that week they're going to feel financially strained as well, they now have to wait for the money to come back. What if something goes wrong? What if they filled out a label wrong? What if they didn't read some fine print? It can be stressful and why not avoid that stress. Online shopping isn't going to be chosen by someone if it's more stressful than shopping in person, especially if there's no savings.

Is the guy struggling and living paycheck to paycheck also the guy that is checking four different size 11 shoes to get the size 11 shoe he wants instead of just saying "I wear a size 11 shoe" and buying a size 11 shoe? The whole concept of getting very specific fits seems extremely fussy to begin with.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"retail is dying because hammer pants are making a comeback" is probably a more interesting line of discussion

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

fishmech posted:

Why should I have to afford $40 extra to buy a $20 shirt, just because clothes sizes and online merchants are intentionally confusing and do not adhere to proper standards?

You wouldn't accept it if every other thing you bought made you pay 300% of the price and only got the extra 2/3 refunded after a week.

I know roundabout my size and what brands fit. Again, the reviews will tell you how it fits. I really don't think many people here have even attempted to order things online.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd never buy shoes online, I'd have to order like 30 pairs and hope one actually fit nice. Buying shoes always involves going to 2-3 different large stores and trying on a ton to finally find ones that both look ok and fit nice and don't give me blisters. Buying shoes is the worst. Every brand's sizes fit differently or are wider or have different heel cups or different levels of arch support or this and that and the other thing. Even something as simple as slip-ons of the same brand of the same size will fit/feel totally differently.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'd never buy shoes online, I'd have to order like 30 pairs and hope one actually fit nice. Buying shoes always involves going to 2-3 different large stores and trying on a ton to finally find ones that both look ok and fit nice and don't give me blisters. Buying shoes is the worst. Every brand's sizes fit differently or are wider or have different heel cups or different levels of arch support or this and that and the other thing. Even something as simple as slip-ons of the same brand of the same size will fit/feel totally differently.

The reviews tell you online

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Reviews never lie.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Polygynous posted:

"retail is dying because hammer pants are making a comeback" is probably a more interesting line of discussion

Like that seems like a real thing. If it's 30 years from now and everyone is able to buy everything online except clothing because clothing is too complicated to buy without seeing it in person it seems entirely possible there will be at least a segment of the population that will say "screw that, I buy everything else online and sizing online can never be solved, I'll just wear fashion that is less particular about sizes" even if it's not the extremes like jinko jeans or hammer pants or sagging or mumus or something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

exploded mummy posted:

Reviews never lie.

TripAdvisor removed warnings about rapes and injuries at Mexico resorts, tourists say

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah a flood of "this shoe was comfortable!" "This shoe pinched my little toe" "great arch support" "the arch support is too big and hurt my foot" "garbage quality, fell apart in a month" "These are the best shoes they've lasted me 2 years so far" don't really help because each reviewer has totally different feet. Also 99% of places I've looked to buy clothing online do not have a review system because it's just the company's own website.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 9, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I know roundabout my size and what brands fit. Again, the reviews will tell you how it fits. I really don't think many people here have even attempted to order things online.

The reviews usually tell you nothing useful, unless the product is just so hosed up that it completely fails to work as intended.

Anyway the guy I'm saying that to is one who's saying everyone should be totally cool with having to order 2 or 3 items at once when ordering online, because you can just get a refund when you return the things and they get processed a few weeks later, as if that's not a hassle and not something you'd put up with buying a lot of things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's such a shame that we have to commit to either online shopping or traditional retail 100% since there's no way we could possibly ever use both, in whatever circumstances each would be most effective. This being the case, it's incredibly important we settle this debate!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I wear a "one size fits all" burlap onesie and stuff the extra space with fallen leaves to stay warm during the winter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The selection online is still trash in a lot of places, specially amazon. I wanted something as simple as colourful striped/patterned socks. I spent 30 min looking through the listings since there were no sub categories. Sports socks, dress socks, kid's socks, chair socks, click through it all hoping to see something bright and colourful and fun. I had thousands of results but no way to reliably filter because nothing is curated, everything is just tossed onto amazon with the barest of categorization or keywords. Came up with a single package of socks after 30 min of searching, it was $8 for a package of 2 pair and it was not valid for prime so $8 shipping on top. Instead I walked 10 min to a small hole in the wall shop that specialized in novelty socks and stupid poo poo like that, maybe 500 sqft, went over to their wall of socks which were nicely categorized by size and style and all the ridiculous bright striped socks were together. I touched one and realized it was way too thin, touched another brand and found they felt just right, grabbed a 2-pack for $10 and walked out. I was there and back quicker than it took me to grapple with amazon's interface, and for cheaper.

Now if I could go onto amazon, go to socks, go to men's, filter by size, filter out sports socks and dress socks or go to some "colourful and patterned" or "novelty" section and browse through all sorts of rainbow stripes and spaceships and icecream cones and grab a bunch with free shipping and for cheaper than retail I'd be all over amazon and saying retail is dead. But we seem a long long ways off from that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sundae posted:

I wear a "one size fits all" burlap onesie and stuff the extra space with fallen leaves to stay warm during the winter.

I remember when you could use newspaper but unfortunately print is dead

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Now if I could go onto amazon, go to socks, go to men's, filter by size, filter out sports socks and dress socks or go to some "colourful and patterned" or "novelty" section and browse through all sorts of rainbow stripes and spaceships and icecream cones and grab a bunch with free shipping and for cheaper than retail I'd be all over amazon and saying retail is dead. But we seem a long long ways off from that.

I literally typed in "colorful men's socks" into Amazon and lo and behold:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...ens+socks&ajr=0

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I noticed that Think Geek has a storefront at the local mall I go to. I've never seen so many Funkopops in one place.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Baronjutter posted:

The selection online is still trash in a lot of places, specially amazon. I wanted something as simple as colourful striped/patterned socks. I spent 30 min looking through the listings since there were no sub categories. Sports socks, dress socks, kid's socks, chair socks, click through it all hoping to see something bright and colourful and fun. I had thousands of results but no way to reliably filter because nothing is curated, everything is just tossed onto amazon with the barest of categorization or keywords. Came up with a single package of socks after 30 min of searching, it was $8 for a package of 2 pair and it was not valid for prime so $8 shipping on top. Instead I walked 10 min to a small hole in the wall shop that specialized in novelty socks and stupid poo poo like that, maybe 500 sqft, went over to their wall of socks which were nicely categorized by size and style and all the ridiculous bright striped socks were together. I touched one and realized it was way too thin, touched another brand and found they felt just right, grabbed a 2-pack for $10 and walked out. I was there and back quicker than it took me to grapple with amazon's interface, and for cheaper.

lol this is like the Platonic ideal of a useless anecdote

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

duz posted:

I noticed that Think Geek has a storefront at the local mall I go to. I've never seen so many Funkopops in one place.

gamestop stopped selling videogames to the point they co-branded with thinkgeek to sell stuff under that label instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WampaLord posted:

I literally typed in "colorful men's socks" into Amazon and lo and behold:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...ens+socks&ajr=0

drat, I get similar good results on amazon.ca now, I swear none of those were there when I was trying out prime.
Still insane shipping rates unless you sign up for prime, and once signed up I'd feel forced to buy everything on amazon to justify the cost :( If they got rid of prime and just made it the default for free I'd probably spend a ton, but making it a subscription makes it feel like an all or nothing choice, and I'd have to do a ton of shopping on amazon to end up saving $80 to even break even on prime. If it was even something like "Free shipping on orders over $100" o something I'd be all over that.

I'm sure amazon knows what they are doing to maximize their profits but the whole prime system makes me never even consider amazon for online shopping. Are there alternatives to amazon for clothing that don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

Reviews never lie.

There definitely isn't a whole industry of robo-reviews.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

There definitely isn't a whole industry of robo-reviews.

I noticed this when looking at the reviews of the local Pizza Hut, which is objectively poo poo, even for a Pizza Hut.

Every review from random Joe's was 1 or 2 stars. Every "local guide" gave it 4 or 5 stars.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

duz posted:

I was at Washington Square Mall on Sunday with friends and we happened to go into Hot Topic, they had an entire wall covered in those fucko poops and even more of them on a table.

Washington Square seems to be doing pretty well.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

PT6A posted:

It's such a shame that we have to commit to either online shopping or traditional retail 100% since there's no way we could possibly ever use both, in whatever circumstances each would be most effective. This being the case, it's incredibly important we settle this debate!

I think the problem arose when some folks here were like "all retail is dead because I just buy everything online and return it" and then go on to assume everyone else will be doing the same in 20 years. Or proposing that we'll all be wearing neo-togas where fit doesn't matter. :laffo: I don't think anyone here advocating for traditional retail thinks online shopping should or will ever go away.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm just personally amused by the mental images of everyone flailing away at their laptop while it spins out the window and explodes like an as seen on TV commercial whenever they attempt to get a product shipped to their home.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have no idea what the current argument is anymore, but I am way more leftist than every other poster here

I also get Think Geek and MindGeek confused all the time

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have to assume all the people going "just get your measurements" or "just get it tailored" are men, because you've never experienced "it says it's my size but my boobs don't fit" or "tight on my rear end but loose on my legs" or any of the other million problems women's clothing have that make online shopping a death march. On a typical shopping trip I try on like 50 items and leave with 2. Fit is way harder than y'all are making it out to be. Before you can get something tailored you first have to find something with a relatively close fit that will actually go over all the parts of your body.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cis autodrag posted:

I have to assume all the people going "just get your measurements" or "just get it tailored" are men, because you've never experienced "it says it's my size but my boobs don't fit" or "tight on my rear end but loose on my legs" or any of the other million problems women's clothing have that make online shopping a death march. On a typical shopping trip I try on like 50 items and leave with 2. Fit is way harder than y'all are making it out to be. Before you can get something tailored you first have to find something with a relatively close fit that will actually go over all the parts of your body.

Just lol if you are so bougie that you aren't crafting your own clothing out of amazon boxes and packing material that your bulk order of "Human Chow" came in.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Baronjutter posted:

Just lol if you are so bougie that you aren't crafting your own clothing out of amazon boxes and packing material that your bulk order of "Human Chow" came in.

Lol

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I just thrift most everything, and so do a lot of other people I know. Makes shopping fun, and means I get to wear and own expensive, good quality things that I could never justify buying new. We have a good secondhand scene around here though, I can see the selection getting dismal the further out you get from urban areas

Also it's entirely possible I have terrible taste, so ymmv with that too

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

I just thrift most everything, and so do a lot of other people I know. Makes shopping fun, and means I get to wear and own expensive, good quality things that I could never justify buying new. We have a good secondhand scene around here though, I can see the selection getting dismal the further out you get from urban areas

Also it's entirely possible I have terrible taste, so ymmv with that too

yeah, i started buying all my clothes from thrift stores to sort of wash away the crime of allowing my money to be turned into profit from sweatshops and then the habit just stuck. you find some weird poo poo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

gamestop stopped selling videogames to the point they co-branded with thinkgeek to sell stuff under that label instead.

They're a wholly owned subsidiary of GameStop.

Got bought out in 2015.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

boner confessor posted:

yeah, i started buying all my clothes from thrift stores to sort of wash away the crime of allowing my money to be turned into profit from sweatshops and then the habit just stuck. you find some weird poo poo

I got a $2000 suit for $35. As far as I could tell it was tailored and maybe worn once because there was no sign of wear on it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I got a $2000 suit for $35. As far as I could tell it was tailored and maybe worn once because there was no sign of wear on it

my prize is a cold war french paratrooper jacket that had some punk graffiti and early 90's francs in a secret pocket

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
^^^ That's cool as poo poo
My best was either the Issey Miyake bag I scored for five bucks, the Wacom tablet for ten, the Le Creuset skillet for two, or the dragon statue that turned out to be a d&d thing worth 700 that I think was like a dollar (I don't play, it's just cool looking)

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

boner confessor posted:

my prize is a cold war french paratrooper jacket that had some punk graffiti and early 90's francs in a secret pocket

That is some cool rear end poo poo.