Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can we all take a moment to appreciate how amazing the sound in this game is, particularly tone's gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Can we all take a moment to appreciate how amazing the sound in this game is, particularly tone's gun

The only shooter I can think of that has better sound is Bad Company 2. Especially with the War Tapes filter one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bad Company 2 with war tapes is an eargasm. Battlefield 1 comes close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgZqIiZnqo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BC2 with war tapes is easily the best sounding game I've ever played and something getting even close to it is an achievement

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So I finally finished the SP campaign and downright one of the best I played. It’s full of action, great acting, great voice work, the setting was awesome, and everything just worked right. What I liked best was just how functional everything looked - from how levels were designed to the Titans and the soldiers.

I can only hope that we’ll get a TF3 for sure.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
It's not a sure bet but Respawn has a whole column of job listings on their Careers page for specifically "Titanfall" along with their other projects. I would assume/hope they are working on a TF3.

It's not like they are pumping out more DLC for TF2. :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh they absolutely are. That became clear when Monarch released. And everything that's come since has been on the experimental side.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Did monarch do well tho? Outside of fd it's kind of meh since you aren't going to get the upgrades?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Finally played a round post patch and yeah Attrition is way too long. The game mode was perfect at 500. At 650 the mode kind of drags towards the end.

Also :rip: r-201

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

xxEightxx posted:

Did monarch do well tho? Outside of fd it's kind of meh since you aren't going to get the upgrades?

I guarantee that themed titans in TF3 will also have upgrade cores.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
I don't think they'll be doing upgrade cores for everybody (I don't think they're going to replace the standard cores on the other titans and trying to balance an upgrade core and a normal core would be hell both balance and attention wise), but I do think both it + the Aegis upgrades indicates we're probably going get weapon-specific perks for Titans in TF3. Probably throw away the titanfall perk category in favour of it.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Paused for a second to register in my head that I was able to get that pilot with a firestar.

https://i.imgur.com/fbn4hz5.gifv

This hit detection looked a little forgiving on my part but this guy was kind of lagging back and forth all over the place the whole game.

https://i.imgur.com/Q8UGDTQ.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/LeGFjjk.gifv

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Exposure posted:

I don't think they'll be doing upgrade cores for everybody (I don't think they're going to replace the standard cores on the other titans and trying to balance an upgrade core and a normal core would be hell both balance and attention wise), but I do think both it + the Aegis upgrades indicates we're probably going get weapon-specific perks for Titans in TF3. Probably throw away the titanfall perk category in favour of it.

Eh, I dunno. Looking at aegis upgrades, it wouldn't be insane to take that sort of thing and transpose it into core upgrades.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Snak posted:

Eh, I dunno. Looking at aegis upgrades, it wouldn't be insane to take that sort of thing and transpose it into core upgrades.

The issue is not so much "can they do this" as it is "can they do this without making every match a gigantic clusterfuck more so than it already is."

Like if you had to ask me to what I think is Titanfall's most core issue, is that they have yet to really figure out a good solution for "ok what happens when a good performance player gets on a roll?". Like I would say both games have failed to address this simply because they allow performance to be a major factor at all without any sort of counteracting element. The second game made both the mistake of leaning it a bit more into performance based, and the helpful addition of making it so it was genuinely performance based and not just "ok get a bunch of kills to make it go faster" so objective-based players weren't left in the dust depending on the mode, but even in the first game there was that rolling imbalance simply because good players will always earn more and faster than bad players, and even just one particularly good player in a match of otherwise ok players can get the beatdown started if they're good enough to lockdown the opposition.

Upgrade Cores on everything if all the kits were actual good stuff would just compound that: it works for Monarch since Monarch loses access to things other titans (excluding Northstar :v:) have such as a guaranteed way of minimizing or blocking damage dealt to them, and doesn't have any upgrades to fix that.

But on say, Ronin? He's basically on a very fine edge between ok and overpowered as it is, and either you would have to nerf the heck out of any kits for his upgrade core (in which case most people aren't going bother), or it's going effectively be a repeat of what happens in the Aegis featured modes when someone with a maxed out Ronin pops in.

If I had to try solving this issue myself, I could actually see myself taking inspiration from the mobile game: make it more reliant so the initial wave of titans is more time-based or reliant on some kind of neutral mechanic so it's not just one side who gets to drop most of their titans.

Though part of me wants to try something more creative like say, I dunno, make a RTS-esque simple AI for matches and have it so they can hasten titan production for their side if the other side has gained a overpowering titan advantage? Could kill two birds with one stone by making it feel like it's a genuine battle instead of just "ok we've dressed it all up but you're getting approximately zero support for this battle, even if you're being slaughtered" like it is in most FPSes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They should have the enemies prioritize targets. So if you're on a roll, you pull aggro of all the enemy creeps. You get mortar stalkers shelling you. It would be cool.

Rubber Ducky
Nov 5, 2009
That's actually a really cool idea, that would add a level of interactivity with the NPC's that is currently missing as well.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'd love a Commander mode in Titanfall 3. Go a bit gonzo with larger, multi-stage maps and give the person playing as the Commander the ability to control where the Grunts/other support comes in at and where they go to.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm attempting (and failing) to play the 'great bamboozle' game type but nobody appears to want to play with me :(

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Snak posted:

They should have the enemies prioritize targets. So if you're on a roll, you pull aggro of all the enemy creeps. You get mortar stalkers shelling you. It would be cool.

Yeah actually now that I think about it, it would be a cool way to have FD and/or campaign only enemies show up in normal MP matches if they could appear as "holy crap you're good, we need to get our spec op teams in there", would add a good visible indicator to where potential danger spots are if newbies see where those special units are going, plus it would just be really cool to see them in action a bit more often.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm attempting (and failing) to play the 'great bamboozle' game type but nobody appears to want to play with me :(
I hoped this patch added the rotating game modes to the mixtape, so people aren't limited to just that mode when matchmaking. I think doing that would actually encourage people to try them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone wanna play tonight on ps4 🤔

Attrition or FD. Let’s say 7-8 PST? Anyone?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

wolffenstein posted:

I hoped this patch added the rotating game modes to the mixtape, so people aren't limited to just that mode when matchmaking. I think doing that would actually encourage people to try them.

Yeah people need prodding into different game types if they pick something like pilot vs pilot otherwise that player pool is too small. I never used to have an issue getting a game but now I sit there forever and get nothing. :'(

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

:rip: Respawn :smith:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171109006677/en/EA-Acquire-Respawn-Entertainment

quote:

EA to Acquire Respawn Entertainment
Leading Development Studio Brings Top Talent & Award-Winning Titanfall IP to EA’s Portfolio

November 09, 2017 05:01 PM Eastern Standard Time
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced today an agreement to acquire Respawn Entertainment, LLC, a leading independent game development studio and creators of AAA shooter and action games including the critically-acclaimed Titanfall™ franchise. Respawn brings to EA the proven leadership and studio talent behind Titanfall and Titanfall 2, two of the most highly-rated shooter titles in the last five years. The acquisition builds on a successful publishing partnership between Respawn and EA, with multiple projects currently in development – a new title in the Titanfall franchise, a game set in the Star Wars™ universe and a VR gaming experience.

I feel like this kills a lot of the hype I have for a Titanfall 3. AFAIK Respawn had a deal with EA when they created the studio where they owned the rights to their created property and acted as an independent studio. This has never ever worked out for any studio acquired by EA.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Could be good I guess to have full support but yeah more than likely bad. I mean, how much will really change as compared to the "agreement" before?

is TF3 confirmed or just highly suspected. Hope we see more of the campaign and, well, more of the same

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wazzit posted:

:rip: Respawn :smith:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171109006677/en/EA-Acquire-Respawn-Entertainment

I feel like this kills a lot of the hype I have for a Titanfall 3. AFAIK Respawn had a deal with EA when they created the studio where they owned the rights to their created property and acted as an independent studio.

gently caress my life.

Oh well, they'll release an awesome game and then leave the company under threat of a billion dollar lawsuit. :getin:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It was a good run, boys. See you in some other game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Will probably have a good couple games, then a really badly conceived spinoff series, then the mainline series in a few years will have a bunch of really poorly implemented currently popular mechanics or trends and then they'll all get shitcanned.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:negative:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's really sad because some quarterly reports just came out and these big AAA companies are making, or on track to make, literal billions per year on microtransactions.

So it turns out if Respawn had just done the dumb lootbox thing they would have most likely made a mint and been able to possibly stay independent. Now they are hosed for actually doing the right thing. Capitalism.txt.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So it turns out if Respawn had just done the dumb lootbox thing they would have most likely made a mint and been able to possibly stay independent. Now they are hosed for actually doing the right thing. Capitalism.txt.

drat man when you put it like that

ok but really Respawn used the EA support for TF2 can they not at least just take a bit from momma's tit and do their own thing a la before? I mean sure it's inevitably doomed regardless, but.... C'mon just give me more of the same with more customization towards aesthetic via DLC/microtransactions and I'll throw all the money at you :homebrew:

Really I applaud them for going against the norm but they shot themselves in the foot with both the incredibly embarrassing delays on warpaints etc, and limited customization, esp with pilots/classes. New camos and executions I can wait on but when prime titans take like 8 months or whatever and taunt you with the "UNAVAILABLE RN" 🤔🤔🤔🤔

really they should add emotes like Destiny 2 does (with at least a wheel god damnit) and charge for those. Hell, I wouldn't mind them locking executions behind an insane grind and charging for them or just charging altogether. As long as it doesn't impact gameplay

How's the new COD WW2 doing it anyways? I know some companies hosed themselves over with all that poo poo--Evolve--and it's fun to see. Sure there's other factors but yeah :tipshat:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 9, 2017

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

From Respawn Studio head

http://www.respawn.com/combine

quote:

A LETTER FROM VINCE
Today we announced that Respawn will be joining EA.

We started Respawn with the goal to create a studio with some of the best talent in the industry and be the #1 developer of innovative games in the world. We’ve had success as an independent company but as we look to how we want to compete in the future, and the challenges that face us in a rapidly changing landscape, now is the time for us to combine forces with a global industry leader like EA.

While it wasn’t necessary, going with EA made a lot of sense. With Titanfall and Star Wars, EA has been a great development partner that supports us and doesn’t interfere with our process for making games or studio culture. EA will provide us with more resources, access to new technologies, and expertise that we can tap into to that will help us make better games, and Respawn will retain the same creative freedom and culture we’ve always had. We’ve been talking closely with the leadership at EA and we share their values and vision for the future of being a developer-focused company that puts the players first.

I will still be running things at Respawn and will also be a part of the studio leadership team at EA. There will be no layoffs or major organization changes within Respawn. All games currently in development are continuing as planned.

This is a great next step for Respawn, EA, and our players. Joining with EA will give us the resources and support we need to grow and have long term success while still keeping our culture and creative freedom. We believe this is an opportunity to achieve more together through the unique strengths we each bring to the table.

You can read the press release of the acquisition here: http://ir.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1048192. We are excited about the future and look forward to sharing more of what we’re working on.

Check out the FAQ below for more information.

FAQ

Q – What’s going to happen to Titanfall?
A – Titanfall is and will remain a major part of our studio’s DNA. The Titanfall team is continuing to work on the franchise.

Q- What’s going to happen with Star Wars?
A – Respawn will continue to work on our Star Wars game. Development is going well and we have a great relationship with Lucasfilm.

Q – How will the merger effect Respawn?
A – There will be no layoffs or major org changes and titles currently in development will continue uninterrupted.

Q – Why EA?
A – EA will provide us with more resources, access to new technologies, and expertise in areas that Respawn values for future growth. Respawn will retain the same creative freedom we’ve always had. We believe in the leadership driving EA’s trajectory to exciting areas that match our own goals. This is an opportunity to achieve more together through the unique strengths we each bring to the table.

Q – Did you make this decision because the company was in trouble?
A – Not at all. This decision was made because it’s the best way to get Respawn the resources, support, and knowledge we need to achieve our long term goals.

Q – What does this mean for new games beyond Titanfall and Star Wars?
A – We will still have creative freedom to explore new IP’s and will work with EA’s studio leadership to plan future projects.

Q – Does this change Vince’s role at Respawn?
A – No. Vince will continue to run Respawn and will also become part of the studio leadership team at EA.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just hope they don't get hosed under EA's management even more. They made my favourite shooter in years, hell, I actually enjoyed the SP a bit more than Doom 2016 and the MP is brilliant, and this is coming from someone with thousands of hours between BF3/4/1.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Praying for this to be the single studio owned by a larger company to just be allowed to let rip and create whatever they want. I love Respawn and I'm hoping EA loves them enough to provide them with poo poo but to leave them alone to do stuff with it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm sure Respawn will be fine, just like all the other companies that have been acquired by EA *touches ear*...I've just been informed those companies were all dismantled for parts and their employees all had their hearts torn out before being put on a metal rack and lowered into a pit of lava.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah I mean I don't think it's fair to get all spooked yet

EA obviously knows Titanfall has a following and potential to be a cash cow nvm the fact that just used TF2 to help drive the COD playerbase down last year with battlefield

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

I'm sure Respawn will be fine, just like all the other companies that have been acquired by EA *touches ear*...I've just been informed those companies were all dismantled for parts and their employees all had their hearts torn out before being put on a metal rack and lowered into a pit of lava.

Yeah based on EA's track record with studio acquisitions, it's basically not a matter of if but when. :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People are worried because developers owned by EA have revealed a pattern of having dumb poo poo imposed on their games and then getting shot in the back of the head as soon as their games start to only make $4 million instead of $5 million

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

...I've just been informed those companies were all dismantled for parts and their employees all had their hearts torn out before being put on a metal rack and lowered into a pit of lava.

:stonklol:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah I mean I don't think it's fair to get all spooked yet

EA obviously knows Titanfall has a following and potential to be a cash cow nvm the fact that just used TF2 to help drive the COD playerbase down last year with battlefield

I mean...it sort of worked. There is no way Activision will be making a mech-based COD at this point, :laffo: they literally had to remake Frontline to keep their flagging series alive.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Eyewitness reports from the nearby office parks report loud chanting to the "lord of decay" and beseeching blessings from "Krang, The Dead One" to "unleash his priceless treasure made from the oldest decayed planets" upon the supplicants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I think this means Titanfall 3 will be awesome, then EA will start meddling, then West and Zampella will give em the birds and walk out to start a new studio where they make an even better series.