Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Mors Rattus posted:

Green Ronin has put out a new statement, and one by someone who at least realizes the last one looked bad.

https://greenronin.com/blog/2017/11/09/a-followup-and-clarification-to-yesterdays-statement/
It really reads like whoever wrote that not only recognized that the prior one looked bad, but actually gets that it was bad and why. And the ability to make everyone else hand in their shovels and stop digging the hole deeper for gently caress's sake.

The fact that it got so bad speaks to major changes still being needed there, though. If they actually start making some then we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The only thing I didn't like there was the "when leadership gets back," which suggests this isn't the official GR posture.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

moths posted:

The only thing I didn't like there was the "when leadership gets back," which suggests this isn't the official GR posture.
Yeah I dunno which way to read that. I took it to be that whoever was ultimately behind this release stepped in and imposed order, and they are (or they are representing) that leadership. But the other way is probably just as likely.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

moths posted:

It said back in-office. As much as their feet should be held to the fire, this is a common issue in all businesses where telecommuting/work from home/etc is a thing. Things don't get communicated to some people as effectively via e-mail as they do in person.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Bummer that OrcaCon is also managed by douchebags, that sounded like a cool idea.

https://twitter.com/_Danicia_/status/928459433369264129

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

It's disappointing because she's definitely taken the "GR can't be wrong because they're ~good people~" and is ignoring that to people who don't have her insider knowledge of the situation their ~good people~ behavior has looked a whole lot like everyone else's bad behavior. I expect them to get it right and do better in the future, but I also expect them to analyze their own reaction and identify the issues with it (which that statement did a good job of).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

admanb posted:

It's disappointing because she's definitely taken the "GR can't be wrong because they're ~good people~" and is ignoring that to people who don't have her insider knowledge of the situation their ~good people~ behavior has looked a whole lot like everyone else's bad behavior. I expect them to get it right and do better in the future, but I also expect them to analyze their own reaction and identify the issues with it (which that statement did a good job of).

That's really what bugs me about GR's handling that left me so sour on the company. They absolutely know what they're saying when they act like the onus is on everyone but them to vet these guys and that hey don't they deserve a pass for being such good folks? They're hiding behind their rep in a really gross way that kinda taints everything about them to me. It's like they think not being a lovely person is what you do to get points that you get to cash out in situations like this. Her going right for the 'they're a bunch of white knights and you're ignoring GR'S women when you believe them!!!!' is just a symptom of this kinda toxic poo poo.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It's real easy to brand yourself the Woke Good Guy Company whose single highest priority is "a commitment diversity, safety, and respect for all", that requires no effort at all. But they were called upon to act on their oh-so-progressive credentials and they completely and spectacularly poo poo the bed.

Words are loving cheap.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm really disappointed that GR a) didn't just sever and call it good, and b) keeps digging. It almost reads like they're defensively drunk/angerposting at this point.

Yeah, all they had to do was say something along the lines of "We were mid-investigation when more information came to light, and in light of that new information, have fired him immediately; we apologize for not being quicker." Take the small hit now for being slow rather the being pissy about it and coming off as dramatically insincere and lovely about it. All their constant bickering and trying to defend themselves have done since then is make them look worse and worse. It is absolutely angerposting.

Mostly this is just a fun reminder that the tabletop industry continues not to understand what PR is and continues to generally eschew the idea, to absolutely easily foreseen consequences.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Also that there's no step back to understand that there's more than one thing going on at once.

This is not a pat on our backs because seriously we're posting on Something Awful, but even in this thread there was a distinction made between the bad actors throwing around unsubstantiated accusations for their own ends, AND also a very real problem coming to light. Both can be true at the same time.

EDIT: I mean, we're still giving the side eye to the antisemitism part of the accusation, but at this point the harassment is clearly well established and more than enough to justify banishing Suleiman to the nether realms.

I'm no PR person but goddamn, just open with:

quote:

There were prior accusations of a different nature we had looked into and had good reason to believe were unreliable. Today we became aware of a separate set of accusations and have now responded to that. We will be making changes to ensure that should something similar happen in future, we will not allow two separate issues to become conflated.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 9, 2017

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I have decided that I, personally, forgive Green Ronin. Not because of any actual effort on their part, but because being holier-than-thou and hypocritical is apparently super normal for lots of people in current discourse, and because I have already long since died inside so I don't feel much anymore when things like this keep on happening.

I feel like this might have meant something but I don't buy any products from Green Ronin, either way.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

On a broader scope for the industry as a whole, this whole mess is worrisome even if we were to assume good faith on the part of company dealing with accusations (which I personally am not yet ready to grant in this case).

False accusations are a thing that happens. That's what led to Alison Rapp getting terminated by Nintendo, after all, so it's not even a new approach. It's bad when a company doesn't do due diligence and just throws employees under the bus to avoid PR problems. But it's just as bad, maybe even worse, when a company is skeptical of everything and automatically takes an antagonistic view of accusations.

That none of these companies seem to be taking a serious, hard look at setting standards to differentiate between the two, and articulating how and why they're making the distinction, is not a good sign.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

But it's just as bad, maybe even worse, when a company is skeptical of everything and automatically takes an antagonistic view of accusations.

It's also just stupid. Stupid, to respond at all beyond "we're looking into this", until you as a company have reached a conclusion about what you think happened and how you are going to respond to it.

Like, I don't run a company, I'm not qualified to do that, but it's loving obvious as hell to me that the wrong response 100% of the time is to let your employees post their immediate kneejerk reactions to anything of a serious nature.

Whatever the intent of Green Ronin, good or bad, it speaks very poorly to the basic level of intelligence of the people involved so far that they didn't immediatley go "woah this is serious" and then shut the gently caress up (publicly) until it'd been discussed at length internally.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Comrade Gorbash posted:

On a broader scope for the industry as a whole, this whole mess is worrisome even if we were to assume good faith on the part of company dealing with accusations (which I personally am not yet ready to grant in this case).

False accusations are a thing that happens. That's what led to Alison Rapp getting terminated by Nintendo, after all, so it's not even a new approach. It's bad when a company doesn't do due diligence and just throws employees under the bus to avoid PR problems. But it's just as bad, maybe even worse, when a company is skeptical of everything and automatically takes an antagonistic view of accusations.

That none of these companies seem to be taking a serious, hard look at setting standards to differentiate between the two, and articulating how and why they're making the distinction, is not a good sign.
The real issue seems to be that in a small, intertwined industry where everyone knows everyone and everyone is a friend or acquaintance, it seems just about impossible for people to summon up the personal distance and objectivity needed to assess these sorts of complaints properly. GR clearly had a blind spot for this guy, and willingly stomped all over their woke progressive branding because he was a long-time friend and collaborator of many of the key people at GR.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mostly this is just a fun reminder that the tabletop industry continues not to understand what PR is and continues to generally eschew the idea, to absolutely easily foreseen consequences.

It's alternatively a reminder that they understand exactly what PR is, and this is an example of catering to the extremely wrong crowd.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sexpig by night posted:

Bummer that OrcaCon is also managed by douchebags, that sounded like a cool idea.

https://twitter.com/_Danicia_/status/928459433369264129
They just popped up in RPGnet to do some damage control on that tweet.

quote:

Hi all!

Since folks pointed me here (I'm on the road for my day job, so not keeping up, plus slow responding), I was actually referring to a few different things while rage tweeting. Nothing I was every saying was about the victims, shaming victims, or gaslighting. It wasn't related to the victims at all. It was the dudes and the personal attacks being made against women who own, work, contract, freelance, or just simply support Green Ronin.

The harm that Wendig did was brutal to people who called him friend. Despite him *knowing* that Nicole was talking to victims, he went ahead and didn't give GR a chance to handle it or do anything. This is something he's done repeatedly by women in both industries and it breaks my heart. The stories that women (non GR people) are telling me about their dealings with him were hard to hear, because I always considered him one of the Good Guys. But fueling up his fans to attack women and to spin up the machine is just irresponsible and I can no longer support him.

Instead of just *asking* the GR folks, who he was friends with (he unfriended them all before he started posting about it), he spun up things. He and other dudes have *only* attacked the women of Green Ronin, some who are going through some tragedies completely unrelated to any of this. And yes, everyone is emotional and understandably so. I *believe* the women who've been harassed. I believe all of them. I am upset that people are not giving Nicole a goddarn chance to even make things right or come out with a full statement before terrorizing her.

It is possible folks can have one stance, and then a changed one, once they have new information. Hence my rage tweet, when yet another GR adjacent woman was hit up via PM with all kinds of hate for simply supporting GR.

For my part, CA was a Guest of OrcaCon for 2018. I had never heard anything about him other than he was a pain in the arse to work with and that he has a stance on Wonder Woman lore that most people hate. I started hearing all this the same time everyone else did (this week. He wouldn't have been on the guest list to begin with, if I had known any of the things which folks are just now talking about. Or rather, publicly talking about. When I talk about people being full of poo poo, I'm not talking about the victims. I'm not talking about anyone who's been harassed. I'm talking about the folks who don't know us from Adam or even *care* about the games industry, coming in to just brutalize the *women* of GR.

I believe the timeline will help. I don't know Hillary. I don't know any other women who have come forward with anything, but I believe them. I support Green Ronin because they are all amazing people.

Flawed, like we all are. Emotional under attack? Yep, that, too. And it's a drat shame that Nicole cannot enjoy her out of state birthday trip due to the harassment she has been receiving after all of the above stuff.

Regarding OrcaCon - If folks feel like they don't want to attend OrcaCon because I am friends with Nicole and the GR folks, that's okay. Folks can do what they feel is right and I can respect that. Just like I won't crap on people who go to NTRPGCon. They do what they do and that works for them.

I just hope that folks will talk to ME about things (anger, questions, whatnot) and not come after my people and the hard work they're doing. They're GOOD people and they make for a safe and loving convention.

I know by posting all this, it will be picked apart like everything else that is posted, because we're all nerds and smart brains and that's what we do. I just ask that folks ask me if you want my opinion/stance/whatnot? Talk to me if you want to know how I feel about things?

tl;dr
1. I was mad (still am but calmer, mostly. Still angry at Chuck as you can see above)
2. I wasn't victim blaming or shaming
3. I had a specific thing in my brain regarding a couple different things and people, none which was related to the victims or CA.
4. Folks are emotional all around. A timeline that GR is working on will help a LOT. Please be patient while the 3 bosses are out of town. It's Nik's birthday. Let her catch up.
5. CA was a guest of OrcaCon. When I found out about the accusations, I removed him. He's no longer going to be at OrcaCon
6. Be mad at me or disappointed in me. I can handle it. If you can't OrcaCon, I can respect that. Please don't start attacking my staff/volunteers. They're good kids who don't deserve it.
7. If you have questions about me, or for me, ask them. Just know I'm at a show right now, so my responses will mostly be tied to any downtime I have. I'm about to head over and unpack and set up my booth, so I may not have internet. Thanks for your patience.

Donna "Danicia" Prior
Pronouns: They/Them. Organized Play/Community Manager at Catan Studio.
Gamer & Beer Geek. Founder of OrcaCon, the inclusive tabletop games convention

e: corrected pronoun

FMguru fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 9, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The real victim here is Nicole Lindroos, who had her out-of-state vacation ruined by all this hubbub!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FMguru posted:

She just popped up in RPGnet to do some damage control on that tweet.

Uhh.. is their argument "Since he was a part of the industry it was his duty to keep it in the industry and rather than letting us handle it quietly he forced GR to act openly and that's terrible."

cause....

yeah gently caress that.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 10, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

Uhh.. is her argument "Since he was a part of the industry it was his duty to keep it in the industry and rather than letting us handle it quietly he forced GR to act openly and that's terrible."

cause....

yeah gently caress that.

No, they are claiming people have told them about Wendig being a dick, I think??? And now everyone should sit down and wait for Green Ronin to release their timeline of events because everyone of importance is out of town, despite the massive activity GR's been having the past few days.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I don't know, the idea that he should have gone to GR first rather than "muckraking", when by GR's own admission they had known for a long while and were doing their own investigation (and only acted now because Wendig forced their hand) is bullshit. Companies hide and protect bad actors all the goddamn time. Especially where claims of sexual assault are concerned.

The alternate reading is 'Ignore what Wendig says because he's a dick' when even dicks can be right sometimes. They're just usually dicks about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And that dumb rear end response is rightfully being hammered

quote:

I don't know Wendig from Adam and I can't speak to that.

I also don't really know much about you or your con, but I hope nobody hassles your volunteers.

That said, the version of events you are pushing here is completely wrong. I don't know if you genuinely have the facts wrong or if you're intentionally trying to spin it so hard it takes off like a helicopter.

Nicole went aggro, both on Facebook and on this forum right here where you are posting, when the allegations about CAS came up a week or so back. I have personal knowledge of women who decided not to come forward after they saw the way she treated other victims. She and/or GR have been deleting the statements of victims from their FB feed. She has literally been silencing the women victims. This idea that she didn't have "a chance to handle it or do anything" is wholly false; she had multiple opportunities and she used them to do two things she should not have done: 1) Claim it was a fabrication or unfounded and 2) Make the issue about her integrity or bona fides instead of CAS' conduct and what the victims experienced.

Wendig may or may not be a villain in this piece. I haven't heard yet from any victims how they feel about his conduct. But he was the one supporting the accusers (even if he did so in a way that you consider wrong) when Lindroos was attacking them.

Honestly, after what I've seen over the last week, I don't believe for a second that GR would have changed their tune if they hadn't come to the attention of much bigger fish, and I am profoundly disappointed about that.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
(You can criticize Danicia without getting their pronouns wrong; they're right there in the quoted text)

I'm willing to give Danicia slack for a ragepost made on twitter while on a train. I think from their perspective, it really does look like some guy with a pre-existing beef barging in to disrupt an active investigation and throw industry women under the bus. For someone who went through some of the worst GG had to offer, that's got to be a raw nerve.

The fact that it seems like the supposed investigation was kind of a crock and GR was instead spending their efforts on attacking the accusers for their choice of allies isn't really something Danicia had any control over or likely any knowledge of.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At this point it's less the ragepost and more the continued defense of GR and the urging people to wait for this timeline and saying how all the big names were out of town so they need time.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

She's straight up lying though. They weren't investigating poo poo because Lindroos had already decided that she did all the investigating she needed and was confident CAS was a saint. Or do words not mean what they usually mean any more? How can you be ''investigating'' if you just said ''I have investigated and decided everything is fine.''

e: Wendig doesn't have any ''beef'' and the victims chose him as a trusted ally to confide in and go public with the information. Let's not throw the victims under the bus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the ragepost was dumb but excusable in context, but they just keep running in to defend GR and say 'guys guys the timeline is coming any day now' without actually adding anything.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tendales posted:

The fact that it seems like the supposed investigation was kind of a crock and GR was instead spending their efforts on attacking the accusers for their choice of allies isn't really something Danicia had any control over or likely any knowledge of.

They're speaking from authority about an issue they don't have perfect knowledge of and that's just :ironicat: personified at this point.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sexpig by night posted:

Yea the ragepost was dumb but excusable in context, but they just keep running in to defend GR and say 'guys guys the timeline is coming any day now' without actually adding anything.
A photograph of an early draft of The Timeline has been leaked:

If you zoom in you can clearly see the relationship between "Chuck Wendig", the Trilateral Commission, Gladio Lodge P2, and the Executive Committee of the Horror Writers of America.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

20 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes.

Fuuuuck this hobby.

No.

The fact that this silence is being broken is good. It's not pleasant, but a lot of hobbies and their industries are have some growing up to do. It sucks hearing about some of these guys knowing their acquaintances and fans. It's goddamned awful that these things have happened, but the world where women were just subjected to this kind of behavior without recourse was an objectively worse one. But it's also going to take a lot of honesty and constant vigilance going forward.

And just remember there are a lot of fine and decent people in the hobby, and the hobby is great. There are just some poo poo people in it. Always are, really, it's just a matter of figuring out how we face that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FMguru posted:

If you zoom in you can clearly see the relationship between "Chuck Wendig", the Trilateral Commission, Gladio Lodge P2, and the Executive Committee of the Horror Writers of America.

I knew Pepe Sylvia was a trouble case!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No.

The fact that this silence is being broken is good. It's not pleasant, but a lot of hobbies and their industries are have some growing up to do. It sucks hearing about some of these guys knowing their acquaintances and fans. It's goddamned awful that these things have happened, but the world where women were just subjected to this kind of behavior without recourse was an objectively worse one. But it's also going to take a lot of honesty and constant vigilance going forward.

And just remember there are a lot of fine and decent people in the hobby, and the hobby is great. There are just some poo poo people in it. Always are, really, it's just a matter of figuring out how we face that.
It was a lament, not a denunciation. Though admittedly “this loving hobby” or “gently caress, this hobby” would have made that clearer.

Otherwise yeah I agree, if this poo poo is going on, it must be brought into the light and dealt with.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Christ, this whole thing is like some sort of educational skit about why using social media to hash out serious poo poo is the worst loving idea.

And the only one who seems to have figured that out without sticking their face right in the fecal explosion appears to be guy who raped a minor.

EDIT: I mean, I'm glad social media is available for the actual victims to air their grievances. But all the venting of spleens by third parties who are mixing up communications about who said what and where ends up eating up a good chunk of that benefit by turning the whole thing into a muddled mess most people won't be able to sort through and probably won't want to try.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 10, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Otherwise yeah I agree, if this poo poo is going on, it must be brought into the light and dealt with.
Drag it all into the sunshine. Name and shame.

"Let all the poison that lurks in the mud, hatch out." - I, Claudius

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I only hope that this current wave actually leads to 'don't let bad actors get away with poo poo anymore' being a cultural norm, as opposed to just cutting out the most visible scapegoats and pretending like the whole system is magically fixed now.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
In about 3 days we’re due to find out Greg Stolze ate a guy and John Wick is the same guy as those movies.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FMguru posted:

There's been an addition to the timeline.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

rumble in the bunghole posted:

and John Wick is the same guy as those movies.

That would actually be a marked improvement though.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The fact that this silence is being broken is good.

This is where I'm at. I'm blessed in that I've only witnessed a minimum of toxicity of this kind in the hobby, but I know the hobby at large has some serious problems that, in the past, it's only tried to address in fits and starts. Everything that's going on is absolutely a good sign, and the fact that it seems like the voices decrying this behavior are so much louder than the voices defending or excusing it is great.

Sucks that it happened in the first place, but maybe we can work toward an environment where toxic behavior will be kept at a minimum from here on out (and called out when it does happen.)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Kai Tave posted:

That would actually be a marked improvement though.

turns out the player characters killed his dog.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Can't be a dog killer if you didn't take Skill Focus: Killing the Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tendales posted:

I only hope that this current wave actually leads to 'don't let bad actors get away with poo poo anymore' being a cultural norm, as opposed to just cutting out the most visible scapegoats and pretending like the whole system is magically fixed now.

It worked for antisemitism after WWII and racism in the 1960s, so I'm confident this too will be done away with for good.

• Locked thread