Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

torsoboy posted:

That name to me sounds as dumb as its counterpart Bonus Lightsaber. Then again, Warhammer is filled with cheesy names... Todbringer for example.

Malus Darkblade is easily the dumbest name in a setting that does not lack for dumb names, but the book series starring him rises above tie-in fantasy fiction to the exalted heights of A Mediocre Book In Its Own Right

moooostly because the author really likes the conceit of "the protagonist is a complete loving idiot, and it keeps working out for him until suddenly it doesn't."

like the opening scene of his story is that Our Hero has been sent off in command of his first raiding party by his dad, hideously hungover, and gets the poo poo beaten out of him by one of his sailors for mouthing off. the ship's captain, who has been sucking up real hard, lays out their target, an easy-to-plunder Brettonian village. Malus, hungover, bleeding, and trying not to throw up for being under sail for the first time in his life, says "no. your plan is stupid, we're hitting..." and he points at the closest blob of land on the map.

"uh, lord? that's ulthuan. like half a day's ride from a major garrison."

"What, are you- urp- a coward?"

the sailors, kinda pumped that this lovely milk run just turned into something that actually might get them some loot and fame, cheer, and the captain smiles awkwardly and gets out. later on a sailor asks "how did you know that the village was a trap set to kill you?"

malus looks, slightly confused. "what? i just wanted to spend as little time on this loving boat as possible."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
nobles gaining 1 influence per turn in allied or owned territory and maybe 2 or 3 in enemy would be nice

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dongattack posted:

I always felt like the Nobles or whatever the agents are called should generate a bit of influence every turn instead of having a mission. Eventually having like 5 nobles strewn around and having to click around remembering to do a mission for each of them every turn doesn't sound like fun.

It also gets pricey. My level 40 noble has been on influence duty for the entire campaign and cost about 1k a pop now. I mean he has 95% success chance but still.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also I am really happy that the historically creative assembly team is taking ideas from the actualy creative assembly team and applying helf mechanics to rome II

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 9, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ze Pollack posted:

Malus Darkblade is easily the dumbest name in a setting that does not lack for dumb names, but the book series starring him rises above tie-in fantasy fiction to the exalted heights of A Mediocre Book In Its Own Right

moooostly because the author really likes the conceit of "the protagonist is a complete loving idiot, and it keeps working out for him until suddenly it doesn't."

like the opening scene of his story is that Our Hero has been sent off in command of his first raiding party by his dad, hideously hungover, and gets the poo poo beaten out of him by one of his sailors for mouthing off. the ship's captain, who has been sucking up real hard, lays out their target, an easy-to-plunder Brettonian village. Malus, hungover, bleeding, and trying not to throw up for being under sail for the first time in his life, says "no. your plan is stupid, we're hitting..." and he points at the closest blob of land on the map.

"uh, lord? that's ulthuan. like half a day's ride from a major garrison."

"What, are you- urp- a coward?"

the sailors, kinda pumped that this lovely milk run just turned into something that actually might get them some loot and fame, cheer, and the captain smiles awkwardly and gets out. later on a sailor asks "how did you know that the village was a trap set to kill you?"

malus looks, slightly confused. "what? i just wanted to spend as little time on this loving boat as possible."

He later on gets a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh riding shotgun in his head named Tz'arkan who is 1. Sass incarnate and 2. Up there in the big leagues of Daemons.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Foxhound posted:

It also gets pricey. My level 40 noble has been on influence duty for the entire campaign and cost about 1k a pop now. I mean he has 95% success chance but still.
The same thing applies to steal tech abilities. Yeah, it's a nice way to level your heroes, boost your tech, and slow down enemy tech, but it's tedious as hell to do it once you have more than one or two to manage.

I honestly think they should bring back deployment for heroes, because after awhile having to deal with them is a pain. Just deploy them in hostile territory and either have it roll the appropriate anti-settlement ability every turn or work out an average success rate/gain/cost/chance of critical failure and apply those every turn. And then, I don't know, make it take a full turn to regain movement after you leave the stance so the AI doesn't sit at the fringes of your territory and run away when you get close.

But some repetitive things should be able to be automated, tbf.

E:. Or make the effect much smaller and always-on when in enemy territory, which would probably be the easiest way.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 9, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never done the noble influence grinding thing, it doesn't sound fun at all.

Sticking them in armies creates fun. Let everything else be passive.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 9, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

He later on gets a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh riding shotgun in his head named Tz'arkan who is 1. Sass incarnate and 2. Up there in the big leagues of Daemons.

you may ask "how does he get a demon riding shotgun in his head"

the answer remains "malus is INCREDIBLY stupid."

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sassassin posted:

I'm reasonably confident we'll see Eltharion in some form. There's a bare patch in the files that looks suspicious to me.

I swear I've seen Eltharion or another possible High Elf LL already show up in my DE ME game. Either that or it was an extremely unique looking melee lord for the high elves. Had no helmet, glorious blonde hair, and a sweet mount.

jokes posted:

Eagle chat: eagles are only good at killing single-model things, and because of their bad defense they're only good at it if the enemy is attacking someone else. Have your lord engage a lord, and have the eagle flank charge him while the lords duke it out. They're fast, too, and can chase enemies off the battlefield that are already routing.

Other than that, it's just a really bad unit. They die to all spearmen, most normal infantry, most cavalry, and sometimes lose to high-rank artillery.

They are actually pretty decent in a combined assault against ranged-focused armies, but you need more than one of them - use them to tie up ranged units right before your line infantry (especially good ones like White Lions and Swordmasters) get in range of their archers. It forces your opponent to respond by trying to chase the eagles off, and by the time the eagles die/flee you've already broken their line and can push in to mop up the archers.

When you force them to respond, you can also take the initiative as well. Do they chase the eagles off with spearmen? Cavalry charge. Do they pull basic infantry off the line instead? Push your linebreakers in. Are they leaving the archers to fend for themselves? Use your ranged infantry to support a push on another front - most archers can't kill an eagle in melee with any sort of speed.

I wouldn't call myself great at TW games, but I have seen the HElf AI use eagles to effectively counter my archers/artillery before they can weaken their line infantry. I'm not sure how they'd shake out in multiplayer - they're probably poor cost/performance units compared to other things you could take in that slot.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Ravenfood posted:

and slow down enemy tech

Steal tech only boosts your own research rate and doesn't slow the enemy, as far as I can tell.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Looks like the patching failed so now steam is re-downloading the whole game. Didn't even know that was possible.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LuiCypher posted:

I swear I've seen Eltharion or another possible High Elf LL already show up in my DE ME game. Either that or it was an extremely unique looking melee lord for the high elves. Had no helmet, glorious blonde hair, and a sweet mount.

That's Alastair the White Lion make a wish kid.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Ze Pollack posted:

you may ask "how does he get a demon riding shotgun in his head"

the answer remains "malus is INCREDIBLY stupid."

And let's not even start on his remarkable talent to either kill his closest allies or turn them into hated foes.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/mortal-empires-hotfix-patch-notes

the ME hotfix is live now

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

JBP posted:

Jesus Christ. Playing a Kroq campaign, I just brute forced my way across the stupid desert of never ending vampire corruption that I should have done when the DLC hit and reached the sea. I purged the taint. I made friends three types of dwarfs. Life is good for the all conquering lizards.

However I want a port and the expedition dwarfs who love me and I love in return are about to get great planned. No one stands in the way of the great plan (and global trading partners, I'm selling all kinds of good poo poo).

Korq-Gar is amazing. I got through 156 turns with him and basically controlled all of the Southlands/Araby and was well on my way to doing the same for southern Lustria. Unfortunately I started it during the "just turn off Chaos Invasion" period, so no now if I go back to it I get 4 chaos stacks immediately popping in the heart of my territory with no armies nearby-it just looks unfun to deal with :suicide:.

That campaign did have me wondering if there was any Settlements in the Old World fully habitable for Lizardmen. The Wood Elves had teamed up with Mousollin and kicked the poo poo out of Brettonia, and it seemed like if I was ever going to get Corrune back in friendly hands I was going to have to settle in less than ideal spots.

EDIT: Also that campaigned made me wish there was a way to relocate your capital. Nothing like insta-creating an army of dinosaurs that's at least 10 turns away from your front lines.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 9, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I have been having a hard time as dark elves (Morathi) In mortal empires. Seems my campaign always ends with the high elves angry at me and an endless stack of angry murder stacks. I can fight them off but one bad move and they take a city, and then my economy goes to shambles.

Any tips for running a dark elf mortal empires campaign?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sassassin posted:

That's Alastair the White Lion make a wish kid.

Yup, that's him. Guess he won't exactly be a LL since he's not 'officially' in the lore? Still, he's in the game at present.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 9, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

I am glad to be wrong re: Dwarf ranged being completely outclassed by Skaven cunning and bastardery. Mind you, a Skaven player would probably still trounce a Dwarf opponent in most battles, but with Cannons being amazing snipers that can counter-battery and pick off large targets with ease, it's not quite a complete stomp all of the time. Also, I really missed having actual ranged units instead of (excellent, but not really a fit for stand and shoot duties) skirmishers.

They nerfed Skaven artillery pretty hard with the ME patch. It's still really good but no longer cheat code levels of good.

Exmond posted:

I have been having a hard time as dark elves (Morathi) In mortal empires. Seems my campaign always ends with the high elves angry at me and an endless stack of angry murder stacks. I can fight them off but one bad move and they take a city, and then my economy goes to shambles.

With Morathi you really need to start planning for an attack on Ulthuan from the word go. You need to consolidate as fast as you can and then make an offensive push while Ulthuan is still fractured, because Tyrion starting at war with like half of Ulthuan means he's going to aggressively move out and conquer and become a death ball if you leave him alone too long whereas most AI would be content to sit there and do nothing/wait for confederations. Tyrion will attack you at some point, because he starts off hating your rear end and he's also in bed with Tiranoc who also hate your rear end.

Malekith starts a little farther out so you're not likely to be first on the menu once the Tyrion Katamari rolls into town so it's not quite as urgent, but it's still a good idea to plan ahead.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 9, 2017

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Skaven dont have good counters to gyrocopters which makes the matchup pretty hard. Also their best anti-armor infantry does magic damage. It's a tough matchup in multiplayer.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kanos posted:

With Morathi you really need to start planning for an attack on Ulthuan from the word go. You need to consolidate as fast as you can and then make an offensive push while Ulthuan is still fractured, because Tyrion starting at war with like half of Ulthuan means he's going to aggressively move out and conquer and become a death ball if you leave him alone too long whereas most AI would be content to sit there and do nothing/wait for confederations.

Same applies to Malekith to a certain extent. Tyrion started deathballing up into Morathi's territory somewhere around turn 150, and he brings a lot of hellstacks loaded with monsters and heroes with him. I had to see off three full stacks of those, plus two-three more lords with armies in the 11-15 range just going around.

He also gives no fucks about Ulthuan, because I sent a Dreadlord to start taking poo poo over and they met with zero resistance.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Exmond posted:

Get your province and ignore the east. Let your friends deal with that until you work south a bit. Once you do that you should be able to push east. Do not go north or very far south. Do land and start taking out the helfs though.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm currently working through a Queek campaign. I wish Skaven had the option of working with Chaos, but fighting off the stacks with less-than ideal armies has been really fun. I like that as a Skaven, armies themselves become expendable, so even when I take a loss I feel like I've accomplished something because the enemy is in bad shape and I have another force in attack range ready to finish the job.

Also whenever the AI attacks me in the underway, I just know I'm going to completely wreck them no matter what the auto-resolve indicator thinks.

Other highlights:
-I set siege to Akendorf while it had an army garrisoned. The AI sortied out, and this time the dumb reinforcement direction worked completely in my favor-the reinforcing garrison force appeared right in front of my waiting forces and no where close to the actual attacking force. The other army routed based on the initial casualties alone
-Fighting Belegar and his Ghostdad squad without artillary...and winning :aaa:
-gently caress the haters, Doomwheels are rad!

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 9, 2017

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vargs posted:

The real reason that the Fellowship didn't just use the eagles is because they are loving trash.

Also the witch king, which people seem to forget.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Hooo boy I finally beat a campaign in a Total War game.

I had to send like 3 armies down to Skaven land when they started the final ritual ahead of everyone else and barely managed to thwart them.

I got another 20 units on hold there.

Diplomacy is pretty fun. Making sure these two hated each other for most of the game made it super easy to defend my western front.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nanomashoes posted:

Skaven dont have good counters to gyrocopters which makes the matchup pretty hard. Also their best anti-armor infantry does magic damage. It's a tough matchup in multiplayer.

From watching Turin, Deathrunners seem good against heavy Dorf infantry since they do AP and sunder armour. As for Gyros, pure theorycrafting but warp cannons guarded by Stormvermin in case they land? You can also snare them with Warp Gale.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The update is stuck at 85% and I'm a bit unhappy about that :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Torrannor posted:

The update is stuck at 85% and I'm a bit unhappy about that :(

It's just moving some stupidly large files around, probably.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Heliosicle posted:

Looks like the patching failed so now steam is re-downloading the whole game. Didn't even know that was possible.

Oh thanks, I was wondering why I had 40 gigs less of space on my hard drive

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm currently working through a Queek campaign. I wish Skaven had the option of working with Chaos, but fighting off the stacks with less-than ideal armies has been really fun. I like that as a Skaven, armies themselves become expendable, so even when I take a loss I feel like I've accomplished something because the enemy is in bad shape and I have another force in attack range ready to finish the job.

Also whenever the AI attacks me in the underway, I just know I'm going to completely wreck them no matter what the auto-resolve indicator thinks.

Other highlights:
-I set siege to Akendorf while it had an army garrisoned. The AI sortied out, and this time the dumb reinforcement direction worked completely in my favor-the reinforcing garrison force appeared right in front of my waiting forces and no where close to the actual attacking force. The other army routed based on the initial casualties alone
-Fighting Belegar and his Ghostdad squad without artillary...and winning :aaa:
-gently caress the haters, Doomwheels are rad!

Anyone that things doomwheels are bad need to learn to micro at a basic level because they're off the loving hook.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I wonder if SFO updated the older Lords and hero skill trees in Mortal Empires. I want to try out a Belagor campaign with SFO and Brutal Battles to wade through millions of Rats on my March to Karak 8 peaks :black101:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sometimes the blood looks kind of dumb. Like having Carnosaurs covered head to toe in blood fighting rats and whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JBP posted:

Sometimes the blood looks kind of dumb. Like having Carnosaurs covered head to toe in blood fighting rats and whatever.

I mean there's a LOT of rats.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Turn 80. Varg, the north is Varg as far as the eye can see. Meanwhile my allies do gently caress all about it. gently caress you Leoncour.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maybe his feet and face should be wet, but why are his shoulders all red???

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JBP posted:

I mean, when he stomps and some rats explode a couple drops will probably make its way to his shoulders/back. Multiply this by, well, LOTS of rats.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

JBP posted:

Rats have high blood pressure

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Away all Goats posted:

Rats have high blood pressure

It's a side effect of the magic cocaine.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

JBP posted:

I agree, and recommend the Less Blood, Less Gore II mod. It's an update of a WH1 mod that reduced the amount of blood that gets 'painted' on the units

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mordja posted:

From watching Turin, Deathrunners seem good against heavy Dorf infantry since they do AP and sunder armour. As for Gyros, pure theorycrafting but warp cannons guarded by Stormvermin in case they land? You can also snare them with Warp Gale.

Death runners are not great mainline troops because of their low model count, they're better as supports, and even then regular longbeards trade pretty well with them. Warp lightning cannon + stormvermin is a shitload of investment vs the price of gyros, who can still easily dodge shots with their low model count. Throw a warplock engineer in there (when you really want lore of plague as your lore) and that's even more investment.

There are tools in the skaven army to deal with dwarfs but it's not a favored or even matchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

JBP posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181459127&searchtext=less+blood

Mostly just tones down the blood that sticks to models. Ends up covering maybe 20% of their body instead of 90%.