Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i thought about it a lot while reading house of suns and it's basically an impossible problem.

just use eastern like you're supposed to on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the iss uses utc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
milliseconds since the epoch combined with an inertial log

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
a vector clock of pulsars :2bong:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

actual question, does anyone know if any implementations of EXI for C/C++ or C#/.NET are any good

guy at work is proposing that for long term storage format for data we're working with and it looks like a good fit in theory

how much data we talkin about, and how flat is it? Also, what is long-term for you?

If you want your data to really live for a long time (10+ years) and if it's a big giant table, you should probably just store it as CSV text files. The format sucks but it's pretty gaddam feature-proof and simple to read into whatever you want

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Poopernickel posted:

how much data we talkin about, and how flat is it? Also, what is long-term for you?

If you want your data to really live for a long time (10+ years) and if it's a big giant table, you should probably just store it as CSV text files. The format sucks but it's pretty gaddam feature-proof and simple to read into whatever you want

maximally right now is 5gb+ per file and growing (average is closer to 100MB per, and there are thousands of the things), and long term is at least 20 years, probably more. currently it's in a binary format that got homerolled 20 years ago for our tools, and we're finally taking the time for a format upgrade/migration

basically this decision is miles above my paygrade and i don't really have a stake or call in it but i'm curious and thinking about it anyway

our tools can already read and write flat csv files ok but it's pretty slow to process and makes for larger files than i feel they have to be, even gzipped

(e) it's probably cos i'm tired but i have no idea what you mean by 'flat' for some reason. it's not relational db data if that's what you mean, just giant single tables of timestamped data

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 10, 2017

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

maximally right now is 5gb+ per file and growing (average is closer to 100MB per, and there are thousands of the things), and long term is at least 20 years, probably more. currently it's in a binary format that got homerolled 20 years ago for our tools, and we're finally taking the time for a format upgrade/migration

basically this decision is miles above my paygrade and i don't really have a stake or call in it but i'm curious and thinking about it anyway

our tools can already read and write flat csv files ok but it's pretty slow to process and makes for larger files than i feel they have to be, even gzipped

(e) it's probably cos i'm tired but i have no idea what you mean by 'flat' for some reason. it's not relational db data if that's what you mean, just giant single tables of timestamped data

'flat' in that context is exactly what you're describing, as opposed to some kind of database with a bunch of nested record or something.

So CSVs deffo aren't anywhere near as fast or compact as binary data, that's true! But they're super flexible, and most importantly human readable.

Guaranteed that somebody's life is gonna be easier in 10 years when they need to dig up some old data - they don't need to worry about what happens if Carl forgets to document his snowflake binary format, and they don't need to worry about whether there will be library support in Visual FutureLangGnu++2069

Even if the files take twice the space and load at half the speed, IMO that's a small price to pay for a future-proof format

it's also nice to be able to use grep and friends on your data

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 10, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

note: please please do not make human readable files tab separated

because invariably the next human to edit it will do so with spaces, and then the file format will be broken

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
finding reliable media for 20 years of storage will probably be more of a challenge than space requirements.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

note: please please do not make human readable files tab separated

because invariably the next human to edit it will do so with spaces, and then the file format will be broken

iawtp

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

followon note: importing files into hive tends to mean tab separated files

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

finding reliable media for 20 years of storage will probably be more of a challenge than space requirements.
There's that new archival dvd/blu-ray format m-disc which supposedly will last an extremely long time, but obviously hasn't actually been tested in real use for that period so YMMV.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
store your data ~*iN tHe cLoUd*~

what could possibly go wrong

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

actual question, does anyone know if any implementations of EXI for C/C++ or C#/.NET are any good

guy at work is proposing that for long term storage format for data we're working with and it looks like a good fit in theory

the problem with EXI is who knows whether or not that poo poo will take off, or whether it'll be the minidisk of data

if its the latter, somebody's choices will eventually be:
- get stuck with whatever language you're using now (.NET/C# in 2037, anybody??)
- write a complicated rear end parser themselves
- bitch about the data format and then convert it all to the flavor of the week data format 20 GOTO 10

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oooookay yospos let's give this a go again. This time I have a way better ability to debug and get the intermediate results than last time I tried this.

I have a fixed-point multiplication routine that works for positive numbers but gives incorrect answers when I'm trying to multiply two negative 16.16 numbers together. The multiply instruction is 16-bit and produces a 32-bit result.

ex: A=0xFFFFFB88, B=0xFFFFFB88 . A * B = 0x00000013.
This routine says the result is 0xF7100013.

The logic and intermediate results I have (with assembly code in case it's helpful at all) are...

code:
	;; A.i * B.f
	movefa	TEMP1,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP3			; Fetch A
	movefa	TEMP2,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4 			; Fetch B
	shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP3				; Shift A right 16 bits to get the integer portion. 0 is shifted in
	and	LOWORD_MASK,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4			; Mask off the integer portion of B
	mult	FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP3,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4		; Multiply A and B
	add	FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4,FIXED_PRODUCT_RESULT	; accumulate. (result += 0xFB870478)

;; A.f * B.i
	movefa	TEMP2,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4			; Fetch B
	and	LOWORD_MASK,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP3			; Mask off the integer portion of A
	shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4				; Shift B right, 0 is shifted in
	add	FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4,FIXED_PRODUCT_RESULT	; accumulate. (result += 0xFB870478)

;; (A.i * B.i) << 16
	shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP3				; Shift A right to get the integer portion
	shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4				; Shift B right to get the integer portion

shlq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4				; Shift the result left 16 bits from fraction to integer position. 0 is shifted in
	add	FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4,FIXED_PRODUCT_RESULT	; accumulate. (result += 0x00010000)

;; (A.f * B.f) >> 16

shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4				; Shift the result right 16 bits into the fraction position, 0 is shifted in
	add	FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4,FIXED_PRODUCT_RESULT	; accumulate. (result += 0x0000F723)
What should I be looking at for figuring out how to calculate the correct product with negative numbers?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thanks for all the feedback. kind of an interesting/mildly complicated problem that i'm glad i don't have to make decisions on (but will probably have a hand in implementing because i am a cog in the machine~)

(e) also i didn't even think about the storage media. i wonder what they've been using up to now, i'm not privy to that

probably a shitload of 9tracks or something :\

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Poopernickel posted:

rear end parser

isn't facebook already working on this

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mod saas posted:

isn't facebook already working on this

i heard about that yeah, facebook's working on rear end recognition for hands free sign-in

jam that phone down yo pants

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

this looks easy and fun and definitely not hell to implement correctly

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oooookay yospos let's give this a go again. This time I have a way better ability to debug and get the intermediate results than last time I tried this.

I have a fixed-point multiplication routine that works for positive numbers but gives incorrect answers when I'm trying to multiply two negative 16.16 numbers together. The multiply instruction is 16-bit and produces a 32-bit result.

ex: A=0xFFFFFB88, B=0xFFFFFB88 . A * B = 0x00000013.
This routine says the result is 0xF7100013.

The logic and intermediate results I have (with assembly code in case it's helpful at all) are...

code:
	;; A.i * B.f
	movefa	TEMP2,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4 			; Fetch B
	shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP3				; Shift A right 16 bits to get the integer portion. 0 is shifted in

;; A.f * B.i
	shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4				; Shift B right, 0 is shifted in

;; (A.i * B.i) << 16
	shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP3				; Shift A right to get the integer portion
	shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4				; Shift B right to get the integer portion

shlq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4				; Shift the result left 16 bits from fraction to integer position. 0 is shifted in
	add	FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4,FIXED_PRODUCT_RESULT	; accumulate. (result += 0x00010000)

;; (A.f * B.f) >> 16

shrq	#16,FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4				; Shift the result right 16 bits into the fraction position, 0 is shifted in
	add	FIXED_PRODUCT_TEMP4,FIXED_PRODUCT_RESULT	; accumulate. (result += 0x0000F723)
What should I be looking at for figuring out how to calculate the correct product with negative numbers?

Could the problem be that you're shifting over the sign bit when you shift right to get the integer portion? Looking at the docs, it looks like the SHA and SHARQ instructions preserve the sign bit when shifting right.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So here's why it's hard to figure out: your routine is working perfectly. 0x00000000FFFFFB88 * 0x00000000FFFFFB88 does in fact equal 0xFFFFF7100013F840.

If you did a piecewise multiply of 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFB88 * 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFB88, it'd work. And the bits you're missing are two copies of (0xFFFF * 0xFB88) << 16.

Easy fix is to, if A is negative, add (-B.f) << 16, and vice versa if B is negative. (Essentially, you'd be sign-extending the inputs without doing as much work). Alternatively, only multiply positive numbers and track the sign of the result separately.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Doc Block posted:

Could the problem be that you're shifting over the sign bit when you shift right to get the integer portion? Looking at the docs, it looks like the SHA and SHARQ instructions preserve the sign bit when shifting right.

drat, so close to SHAQ or SHART

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jabor posted:

So here's why it's hard to figure out: your routine is working perfectly. 0x00000000FFFFFB88 * 0x00000000FFFFFB88 does in fact equal 0xFFFFF7100013F840.

If you did a piecewise multiply of 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFB88 * 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFB88, it'd work. And the bits you're missing are two copies of (0xFFFF * 0xFB88) << 16.

Easy fix is to, if A is negative, add (-B.f) << 16, and vice versa if B is negative. (Essentially, you'd be sign-extending the inputs without doing as much work). Alternatively, only multiply positive numbers and track the sign of the result separately.

okay sweet this fixed it. i moved my rotation matrix calculation over to the DSP and got a bit of a speed increase. nothing major until I move the actual Matrix4x4_Multiply function from the CPU to the DSP...

the 68000 unsigned multiplication instruction requires 70 cycles in the worst case and the CPU runs at 13.295MHz, so worst case ~5.265uS per multiplication instruction
the DSP's unsigned multiplication instruction requires 3 cycles in all cases and the CPU runs at 26.56MHz, so ~0.112uS per multiplication instruction. wow! that should be enough to... spin my goddamn cube

carry on then posted:

there's an IMACN instruction if you've got a racist iMac

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

sorry, but the docs say SHARQ is the best

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 10, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

spin my goddamn cube

Luigi make the wild demo of cubes spinning on legacy hardware set to techno music

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

:shepface:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
terraform is really good

way better than than our home built dsl that wraps cloudformation i tell you what

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

terraform is really good

way better than than our home built dsl that wraps cloudformation i tell you what

My dude wait until you start forking terraform providers

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Nah we just unforked thank god, but it was pretty fun for a bit.

Terraform rules except for random resources that prevent you doing (reasonable) cyclical stuff

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I wish there was a sane infrastructure tool that didn’t require me to write either json or hcl

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Poopernickel posted:

store your data ~*iN tHa cLuRb*~

what could possibly go wrong

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pandas feels fairly awkward after r

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

how is NASA's site a laggy mess when there's nothing fancy happening in the layout?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

about a week after switching to git from tfsvc i am kinda under the impression that shaggar, might indeed, have been right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tfsvc is bad and so is git but they are bad in totally unique ways

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

HoboMan posted:

about a week after switching to git from tfsvc i am kinda under the impression that shaggar, might indeed, have been right

Spent about half a year working with TFS and sometimes I kinda miss easy shelvesets and gated check-in integration, but the way branches work in TFS mean I never, ever want to use it again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

HoboMan posted:

how is NASA's site a laggy mess when there's nothing fancy happening in the layout?

it’s probably hosted on surplus 286s

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
plus it has to come all the way from space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

There is a ~2 second lag between the secret moon base where they faked the Mars rover and the earth, so that makes sense.

• Locked thread