Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toops posted:

He looks like an awkward dork, rambles about spergy space dreams, and genuinely believes he can make them happen. Now imagine for a moment you too are an awkward dork who relies on escapism just to get through the day and loves outer space.

I don't know why his charisma is some big mystery. It's absolutely evident.

is charisma just seeing yourself writ large, though? i always thought it came from quick wit and the indefinable x-quality

edit: here is a tax of new sweetheart LADYBUG looking smart.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Awww. :3:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
whales have started receiving their VIP black cards in the mail.

The Latin reads "loyalty until the end"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

a sea of darkness hahaha

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

Maintenance mode makes it sound like 2.0 was the final product or they were scrapping the branch completely, but they added clothes shopping, guns, a persistent wanted level, a 2nd space station for evil players to wake up in, Star Marine, megamap, uh.. door locks(?), probably a bunch of space ships. Now they seem to be adding procgen moons, a new items system, lifeless npcs, and probably some other stuff, to the same broken tech demo where the rings fly off the spacestation and you sometimes turn into a spaghetti monster.

I’d be willing to guess that he may have been close, that the game was supposed to go into some sort of maintenance mode, while they developed something better on the Lumberyard technology.

The problem though is that if you’re not an artist, upgrading from gimp to photoshop isn’t going to make you a real artist.

CIG programmers probably looked at the new stuff, realized they were hugely out of their depth still, and Chris Roberts or some other manager like Erin just told them to screw the rebuild and just plug it into what already “works”, forgetting why they wanted to do the rebuild in the first place. What they didn’t have the capability to fix in root CryEngine, they unsurprisingly don’t have the capabilities to fix in Lumberyard, even with Amazon support.

Which was horrible network performance and very strange errors like characters freaking out and people randomly going to deep space, and basic stuff like doors failing unilaterally because they kept extending objects on other objects with huge layers of spaghetti code written under huge amounts of stress and a lack of direction.

So naturally, this is where they are now, except there’s even more layers of barely functional systems added in there.

They need a core rewrite, but I don’t think Chris Roberts will let them because his ego prevents it. He can’t show off backwards progress to people.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bayonnefrog posted:

Been lurking a long time. Posting in this epic thread for posterity.

The development of the Eve Online wannabee game. The vaporware that is constantly in development. Most of what they want to do is being done already by Eve Online. Also if it ever does come out what are the crybaby redditors going to say when someone (possibly Goons) come and blow up their $750 ships? Hilarious. Scam Citizen.

edit: also mad respect to the posters on this board for seeing through the bs and doubletalk of the leader of this project. Well done.

well for a few years the thread here was on board the hype train. there was a spreadsheet that somebody should post so we can laugh at the believers

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wait, did I read the SC reddit right, the evocati are now playing in 60 player instances?? Where did that come from

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Or "trustworthy until we're gone"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Wait, did I read the SC reddit right, the evocati are now playing in 60 player instances?? Where did that come from

It doesn't look like 60 real players though.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I’d give this guys left testicle too. And if he used it already I’ll be glad to donate his right one. I think that should help keep mistakes like this from potentially happening again in the distant future.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

is charisma just seeing yourself writ large, though? i always thought it came from quick wit and the indefinable x-quality

edit: here is a tax of new sweetheart LADYBUG looking smart.

look at this cat

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I almost feel bad for Ol' Cymelion here. That dude is so loving bent out of shape by evocati existing that there's no way it doesn't ruin the game for him a little bit long after it even ceases to be an issue.

Wow, feeling bad for Cymelion... I'm getting soft.

This is sort of why most people don’t like CIG though. It’s just different people have to realize the scumminess in different ways.

Some people just take longer to learn it. Cymelon will eventually come around because the one assurance is that CIG isn’t going to:

A: Monetize everything
B: Give bonuses to players who pay the most

This fact seems to be in direct opposition to what he wants. CIG isn’t going to stop though because it’s literally the only lasting ability for income for them. They have no release plan or alternative method of income. It’s Pay2Win from top to bottom where all the prices people are used to in this kind game are multiplied by 1000.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

It doesn't look like 60 real players though.
Sean Tracy said on some steam they just tested up to 60 players and server performance was better than expected. However they apparently don't allow players to pvp while testing lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bayonnefrog posted:

Been lurking a long time. Posting in this epic thread for posterity.

The development of the Eve Online wannabee game. The vaporware that is constantly in development. Most of what they want to do is being done already by Eve Online. Also if it ever does come out what are the crybaby redditors going to say when someone (possibly Goons) come and blow up their $750 ships? Hilarious. Scam Citizen.

edit: also mad respect to the posters on this board for seeing through the bs and doubletalk of the leader of this project. Well done.

Welcome friend! :)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I just saw the new Thor in 4DX and it's the most retarded loving thing I've ever experienced.

It's the Star Citizen of cinema.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

I just saw the new Thor in 4DX and it's the most retarded loving thing I've ever experienced.

It's the Star Citizen of cinema.

Is that the theater with things like wind generators and rumbly chairs and water sprayers in the theater or whatever?

If that's what I'm thinking of, that's the absolute dumbest idea ever and would encourage you to post details about your experience.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheLastRoboKy posted:

From that PC Gamer interview last year, Chris literally thinks yelling at people for telling him that things are impossible/broken will make them suddenly figure out how to fix it. It would hardly shock me if he spends a lot of time bitching to the others about how he just asked for them to do something and they can't do it and they're ruining everything.

Not only does he think this, but he also thinks it’s easy. So he plans for like “redevelopment of core internet communication protocols to allow for perfect twitch style gameplay with millions of simultaneous players” oh... 2 weeks maybe. Probably less though!

And because if this every single time projection he’s made has been so hugely off because of his sheer lack of knowledge of his area, which he incorrectly thinks is modern computer programming for video games.

Just do it!!!

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The Titanic posted:

Arena Commander 2: Revenge of the Vanfuckedover.

:lol::lol:

That just sounds sinister...

"Until the end" :unsmigghh:

Also, I watched through the ATV and noticed that Ben didn't appear in any shot (including the meetings Chris goes to, which I usually see him in). Maybe he really has been ousted? I'll be keeping an eye on tomorrow's show and Monday's community spotlight show to see if he makes an appearance.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Latin Pheonix posted:

Also, I watched through the ATV and noticed that Ben didn't appear in any shot (including the meetings Chris goes to, which I usually see him in). Maybe he really has been ousted? I'll be keeping an eye on tomorrow's show and Monday's community spotlight show to see if he makes an appearance.

One of the many features of open development: backers/onlookers have to play the role of sleuths to figure things out.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

The layout and overall graphic design of this is bad.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

No... Nooooooooo!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont want to live anymore

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

If this isn't the thread title by tomorrow morning I'll be very upset.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Haha!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is that the theater with things like wind generators and rumbly chairs and water sprayers in the theater or whatever?

If that's what I'm thinking of, that's the absolute dumbest idea ever and would encourage you to post details about your experience.
Yeah, that's the one. The 4DX stuff is really distracting and over the top. It's just too much.

The seats roll around on hydraulics (like a Disney ride), and there's massage things in them. So when Hulk gets smashed into a wall you can feel the impact right along with him (because). This wasn't too bad, but it just felt a bit overused.

The air blowers were the least offensive things. You'd "feel" projectiles whizzing out of the screen and past your face, which was pretty cool. Plus they blew away the smellovision... see below.

There were lights in the ceiling, so every-time Thor did some lightning stuff you'd get an extra light show. tbh you hardly notice these, because a massive 100 foot screen is quite bright on its own (who knew!).

Then there's water jets blasting water straight into your face (and mouth, yum!), which I guess would be more cool if Legionaires' disease wasn't a thing. You can at least turn these off though.

The piece de resistance was the smells. Or should I say smell. Because there was one of them. Smoke? Vaguely nauseating chemical smell. Fresh sea breeze? Vaguely nauseating chemical smell. It's all the same to smellovision! Seriously, this stuff would squirt right into your face and it was strong and it smelt like loving poo poo. Like a cross between a used ashtray, cheap disinfectant and rot. You have to wonder which idiot signed off on this in particular, because it was really unpleasant.

The film was fun though, at least the parts I managed to see between dry heaving and being punched in the back by my seat.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

If this isn't the thread title by tomorrow morning I'll be very upset.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm a bad person.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:drat:

That's loving amazing lmao, excellent works

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

I'm a bad person.

Yeah....

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

The faithful die?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

No it doesn't.

They think it does.

Edit to add, because I brought it up before and didn't want to be boring, but now I want to be boring:

Quoad with any form of the indicative means "as long as." To make quoad mean "until", you need the subjunctive.

"Faithful as long as we will die" is ridiculous.

The reason they got into this trap is that they didn't want to use "dum", a much easier adverb to work with. But it looks like "dumb", which they are. :hist101:

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 10, 2017

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

No it doesn't.

They think it does.

Edit to add: Quoad with the indicative means "as long as." To make quoad mean "until", you need the subjunctive.

Ya, I was going to ask if that was real because it didn't make sense but that only made me realize that it has to be real.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

ELE ELE ELE

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

AlbieQuirky posted:

No it doesn't.

They think it does.

Edit to add, because I brought it up before and didn't want to be boring, but now I want to be boring:

Quoad with any form of the indicative means "as long as." To make quoad mean "until", you need the subjunctive.

The reason they got into this trap is that they didn't want to use "dum", a much easier adverb to work with. But it looks like "dumb", which they are. :hist101:

Faithful while we will die. Seems fine for them :dance:

EDIT: Oh they mean decedimus

Baxta fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 10, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

He's told some people exactly what they want to hear, it's how most people separate other people from their money. Chris Roberts gets up on stage and says he's going to make a space game like Wing Commander, all the dudes who hold onto those days as the best days in their life go "YES PLEASE" and hand over the money. Chris Roberts starts adding all this feature creep stuff that'll let you walk around in your ship and do space trade and he's pushing an idea that sounds like a brand new existence in space. Everyone who holds Wing Commander as the best days of their life go "Oh thank god I can leave this world behind and ascend to the spirit dimension of endless space adventure" and start buying ships. He had them invested based on memories before he'd even started, it's a big part of why people keep giving him money even now. They have this long standing investment in nostalgia that is impossible to shake, the idea that the good old days can come again Chris Roberts is the only man who seems to care about it.

I think Chris pines for those days too, so it's not like it's a dishonest dream either. Just not a particularly well planned, designed, implemented or even remotely achieveable at this point dream.

This is a good post. But I would like to discuss 2 points you have raised.

1. Your absolutely correct that they are remembering the good old days and hoping that with todays technology that they could be even better than before. So more features mean more of theor dreams get to be relived. The problem with that is the good ol' days weren't all that good. It's like when you think about your favorite movie as a kid and then try and re-watch it as an adult and with each passing scene, that same movie you once loved turns out to be poo poo smeared on film stock.

2. Chris Roberts knew drat well that he could not make the game he pitched with the money he was asking for. I refuse to give him a pass on being that ignorant. After all didn't he pay the Crytek guys to make his demo? And what did just that demo cost? Now compare that to what he was asking for and then you be the judge of that. And even if he IS that ignorant, I am not giving him a pass because gently caress that guy.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

DapperDon posted:

gently caress that guy.

You don't need to go this far even if you really don't like his dancing belly avatar.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I’d be willing to guess that he may have been close, that the game was supposed to go into some sort of maintenance mode, while they developed something better on the Lumberyard technology.

The problem though is that if you’re not an artist, upgrading from gimp to photoshop isn’t going to make you a real artist.

CIG programmers probably looked at the new stuff, realized they were hugely out of their depth still, and Chris Roberts or some other manager like Erin just told them to screw the rebuild and just plug it into what already “works”, forgetting why they wanted to do the rebuild in the first place. What they didn’t have the capability to fix in root CryEngine, they unsurprisingly don’t have the capabilities to fix in Lumberyard, even with Amazon support.

Which was horrible network performance and very strange errors like characters freaking out and people randomly going to deep space, and basic stuff like doors failing unilaterally because they kept extending objects on other objects with huge layers of spaghetti code written under huge amounts of stress and a lack of direction.

So naturally, this is where they are now, except there’s even more layers of barely functional systems added in there.

They need a core rewrite, but I don’t think Chris Roberts will let them because his ego prevents it. He can’t show off backwards progress to people.

As a quick question to you and others here that DO KNOW this stuff. Does Amazon's Lumber Yard do well with networking? In other words, is it Lumberyard being choked by CIG's Frankenengine or is it an incompatibility with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AlbieQuirky posted:

No it doesn't.

They think it does.

If only they had a linguist...