Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The amount being so low combined with their stats not changing at all. Like there's no point to raticate getting an alolan form when it has 413 stats. Its still trash.

Ah gotcha.

I still use trash pokemon all the time though. And I don't just mean my good and perfect friend Garbodor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna need a new Primarina nickname for USUM but I already used Hatsunamiku for my Moon one and Tidalmaster for my competitive team one and I dunno if I'm ever going to have anything even remotely approaching that level of perfection again

My beautiful singing seal boy (or 12.5% girl) is gonna have a complex about how much worse his name is

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm gonna need a new Primarina nickname for USUM but I already used Hatsunamiku for my Moon one and Tidalmaster for my competitive team one and I dunno if I'm ever going to have anything even remotely approaching that level of perfection again

My beautiful singing seal boy (or 12.5% girl) is gonna have a complex about how much worse his name is

Minami.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Enhanced third editions are loving awesome when they're done like Emerald or Platinum.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

name it kanaloa, this is pokemon hawaii after all

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cheetah7071 posted:

ゴミ

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

they were asking for a name for primarina not rowlett

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I'm gonna bank in a vulpix and jangmo-o and use those two, popplio, and three friends I spontaneously make along the way

e: will probably bank in the parents of the ones I'll actually use along with a ditto so I don't crush the game with boosted exp

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Apparently Landorus now gets Defog

And all the people across the land who participate in 6v6 singles cried out in unison.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I'm gonna bank in a vulpix and jangmo-o and use those two, popplio, and three friends I spontaneously make along the way

e: will probably bank in the parents of the ones I'll actually use along with a ditto so I don't crush the game with boosted exp

You should befriend a Murkrow since they're right at the beginning.

Also so everyone can share my pain of trying to catch Murkrow with Pokeballs and its catch rate of 30.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Exeggutor Island is no longer a date with Lillie

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dehry posted:

So is it with Hau or Gladion then?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

TFRazorsaw posted:

so how much exactly are you interrupted by and forced to do stuff on the first island compared to the first game?

i don't feel the cutscenes have been reduced enough to make the first island tolerable. pretty sure i played for like 10 minutes in the first hour or something stupid

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So is it with Hau or Gladion then?

Lusamine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dehry posted:

lame

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Quotey posted:

i don't feel the cutscenes have been reduced enough to make the first island tolerable. pretty sure i played for like 10 minutes in the first hour or something stupid

Well, that's really disappointing to hear.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm planning to name mine Andre.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I’m doing egg Exeggutor, Eevee (I’ve never actually played with Vaporeon, but done hella Jolteon/Umbreon), houndour and then gonna try do the Rockruff from the event for getting USUM early. Dunno about the last two. Maybe spontaneous.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah still a lot of cutscenes.

Mina takes Lillie to do some modeling.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fritzler posted:

I’m doing egg Exeggutor, Eevee (I’ve never actually played with Vaporeon, but done hella Jolteon/Umbreon), houndour and then gonna try do the Rockruff from the event for getting USUM early. Dunno about the last two. Maybe spontaneous.

Glaceon is pretty great.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It seems like there's lots of new content, just not new content in the metagame sense. Which makes sense, but I can still see why that would be underwhelming. I actually really like that instead of making a sequel or recycling the plot, they're leaning fully into the alternate dimension weirdness and changing a few external forces and then rewriting the plot from there, since people would respond differently.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I think if this was one release like emerald or platinum instead of two releases, which is what B2 / W2 had, the game would come across as a lot more appealing as a "definitive" version. Not that splitting it up really harms the game, but, you know. I think that's why it's underwhelming to some people itt and elsewhere.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Dragon trial is in the same spot, though Hapu and Mina haven't been challenged.

They just kinda stuck Hau in a scene to show what he was doing.

The Ultra Wormhole travel is a minigame using gyro functions. The first trip is on the opposite version's legendary.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What's up with Silvally being so bottom-tier on the smogon site? You'd think it'd be much higher on the totem pole with it's 570 base stats

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Parrotine posted:

What's up with Silvally being so bottom-tier on the smogon site? You'd think it'd be much higher on the totem pole with it's 570 base stats

Its got a 95 split across all 6 stats. Stat distribution matters more than total, and having stats spread out like that is bad.

95 speed in particular is pretty bad because that speed range has tons of other Pokemon that will tie with it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Parrotine posted:

They're distributed incredibly poorly. Its mediocre at everything instead of excelling anywhere and Pokemon really rewards specialization

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For perspective, Kartana was stupidly popular in the VGC meta and had the same exact stat total has Silvaly. Kartana's stats are distributed way better though; it has a whopping 181 attack and 109 speed. That kind of specalization makes it very clear what Kartana is going to do and excel at. Silvaly has no clear goals and is always pretty mediocre no matter what you do with it, so people pass it up in favor of the specialized pokemon.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Glaceon is pretty great.

Thought about that but I’d have to wait till near the end to evolve it right?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mina's Trial is just going back and battling all the captains.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the best way to grind XP in regular sun/moon? Still just Elite 4 and wipe on purpose after a few?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, Murkrow being available early changes my plans big time. I may have to try an all-bird run.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dehry posted:

Mina's Trial is just going back and battling all the captains.

Geez Mina. How lazy can you get?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Parrotine posted:

Pokemon with just-ok across-the-board stats need fantastic movepools to be good (Mew, Celebi). Silvally ain't that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Parrotine posted:

It isn't just Silvally's stat distribution but also the fact that it needs to hold an item to change its types but unlike Arceus, there's no stat boost to go along with it.

Type: Null's stats are almost the same as Silvally's apart from speed, but since it evolves, it can hold an Evolite and its defenses become way better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I played VGC the thing I saw Silvaly do the most was loving explode.

EDIT: I knew I still had this game somewhere;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-492327928

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 10, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Internet Kraken posted:

When I played VGC the thing I saw Silvaly do the most was loving explode.

EDIT: I knew I still had this game somewhere;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-492327928

What the hell was that comp even supposed to accomplish? :psyduck:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The captain battles are at LV51. By comparison Necrozma and Ultra Wormhole Pokemon were at 60.

Alright they're starting to skip battles.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

silvally is just mew but worse

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also counts as a Legendary for some dumb reason and you only ever get one at level 40.

Rip my prerelease dreams of ever using one I guess :(. Its like one of the only pokemon thats real bad competitively and you can't even really use in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Zore posted:

Also counts as a Legendary for some dumb reason and you only ever get one at level 40.

Rip my prerelease dreams of ever using one I guess :(. Its like one of the only pokemon thats real bad competitively and you can't even really use in-game.
Yeah... sucks because I really like the design!