Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK10F6iA8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The MSJ posted:

There have got to be some heavy subtext there what with the WW1 museum and all.

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I hope the new movies are not connected to any of the current SW stuff, if there is one thing I love in a SW movie, its absolutely no SW in the SW movie.

(This will not happen)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm still trying to parse what they mean by not connected to the Skywalker saga and set somewhere not explored in the lore. Is that just Luke or is it also Anakin? Does that mean it isn't set in the Galactic Civil War?

It makes me think of something set in the far past but then you'll run right into the TOR MMO problem where it feels derivative because it isn't Star Wars without the things that people associate with Star Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Milky Moor posted:

I'm still trying to parse what they mean by not connected to the Skywalker saga and set somewhere not explored in the lore. Is that just Luke or is it also Anakin? Does that mean it isn't set in the Galactic Civil War?

It makes me think of something set in the far past but then you'll run right into the TOR MMO problem where it feels derivative because it isn't Star Wars without the things that people associate with Star Wars.

They could even set it during the timeframe of the galactic civil war; just set on some fringe world that never ends up in the war.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Best case scenario the trilogy's just Johnson's own space opera and only one of the movies even has lightsabers

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

504 posted:

I hope the new movies are not connected to any of the current SW stuff, if there is one thing I love in a SW movie, its absolutely no SW in the SW movie.

(This will not happen)

You are in luck. There are literally thousands of movies with absolutely no SW. You just gotta know where to find them

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cross-Section posted:

Time to dust off those Underworld scripts!

God I wanna read those scripts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Best case scenario the trilogy's just Johnson's own space opera and only one of the movies even has lightsabers

Or it's gonna be those old-rear end lightsabers that were connected to a battery on the user's belt:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Hasn't RJ said that he is a big fan of the prequels?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UmOk posted:

Hasn't RJ said that he is a big fan of the prequels?

No, he made a devil's advocate comment about how they should be seen as kids movies

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Give me an honest to god Opera version of the Star Wars films.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

RJ trilogy is going to be a Louis Wain style series of progressively weirder remakes of The Last Jedi.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

porfiria posted:

Does this mean TLJ is good good or like...Marvel/Disney The Avengers good?

This is what I'm concerned about after reading all of the mouth breathers on reddit praising Disney for their 100% track record with Marvel movies. For some reason people eat that poo poo up, and I am going to be disappointed if that is the direction they take Star Wars.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

They could even set it during the timeframe of the galactic civil war; just set on some fringe world that never ends up in the war.

A Galactic Civil War where a Skywalker played a major part in several key events? I'm not sure how disconnected that is. I'm also not sure how fun or interesting it is to know that whatever new cast they dream up will not and can not have an effect on the wider universe.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Rain is going to make a bunch of droid movies. It takes a "droid" to know droids.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shbobdb posted:

Rain is going to make a bunch of droid movies. It takes a "droid" to know droids.

I’m excited for a totally abstract Star Wars created by an advanced A.I.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wandle Cax posted:

No, he made a devil's advocate comment about how they should be seen as kids movies

He said "There was something really beautiful about the prequels" in an interview (something which he didn't have to do and could have instead just danced around diplomatically like everyone else at Lucasfilm has) and then posted this on his own initiative on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/813232264859381760

That strikes me as being less a literal devil's advocate argument and more him mischievously stating something that's widely seen as a controversial opinion. And come on, he's obviously not either demeaning or excusing them when he refers to them as for kids. He's describing them in a positive light as child-friendly movies dealing with important issues and themes (just like all the Star Wars movies).

Dude pretty clearly has a soft spot for the prequels and genuinely appreciates them on at least some level. Doesn't mean we have CineD in human form directing Episode VIII, but it is nice to have someone who doesn't have a seething hatred for half the original series in all its aspects to the point where he can't even recognize anything good in them to be emulated.

Also hello everyone I'm out of the slammer, my lawyer successfully argued to the judge that fire forensics is total bullshit and as a result the pigs couldn't pin anything on me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I love the prequels

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't like them but there's much worse poo poo out there. Esp in Star Wars land.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

I don't like them but there's much worse poo poo out there. Esp in Star Wars land.

Let's let Rian remake the Star Wars Holiday Special in his own image

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The one thing I don't like about the prequels is that they may be confusing for new viewers unfamiliar with the star wars universe. As a long time star wars fan having watched the original trilogy 9000 times and read countless lovely star wars novels before the prequels are released I was incredibly well prepared both mentally and physically for them. However introducing my gf to star wars a few years ago, who had never before seen a star wars film in her life, found the prequels somewhat bewildering. Obviously we had watched the original trilogy first but as we watched the prequels she kept losing track of who luke and anikin were and asking things like how does anikin end up back in tatooine with his aunt and uncle? and it really only became clear to her at the end of revenge of the sith.

For new viewers perhaps it is better the start with the prequels and watch everything in chronological order?? 🤔

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

504 posted:

(This will not happen)

I hope it's set in the far, far future of the Star wars world, which would make it take place in our present. Introduce time travel so a harried business man from New York can learn how to become a great father during a minor side battle of the Clone Wars.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the order i watched them in was 5 4 1 6 2 3

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

the order i watched them in was 5 4 1 6 2 3

So what you are saying is that you are not being held hostage by Russians and I shouldn't go to the door with the keypad in the Pentagon's basement? Understood.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Give me an honest to god Opera version of the Star Wars films.

"Nessun Dorma" would be an excellent Star Wars character name.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I have noticed that Rian Johnson follows the Finnegans Wake bot on twitter, this if anything else gives me hope for his interpretation of Star Wars

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this one tweet makes me more optimistic for tlj than any of the previews thus far

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Lucas' statement that anyone can learn to use the Force has me holding out for Luke being pissed off that the Jedi kept their teachings to themselves when they could have just taught the masses.

Like when a Death Star shows up to a world where everyone uses the Force, it's not all that scary anymore.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shbobdb posted:

The droid revolution at last.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hodgepodge posted:

Lucas' statement that anyone can learn to use the Force has me holding out for Luke being pissed off that the Jedi kept their teachings to themselves when they could have just taught the masses.

Like when a Death Star shows up to a world where everyone uses the Force, it's not all that scary anymore.

Pretty sure the Death Star could still blow up that world, though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I exclusively like the prequels for their meme potential

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure the Death Star could still blow up that world, though.

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force, weren't you listening to Vader at all?

It'd be like one of those "Point all your fans at Hurrican Irma and blow it away" Facebook events except it would work.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hate to have to remind you all that the force does not exist and force powers are a handful of cheap parlour tricks being misattributed to a kooky religious cult.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

josh04 posted:

Hate to have to remind you all that the force does not exist and force powers are a handful of cheap parlour tricks being misattributed to a kooky religious cult.

t. Han Solo

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We just watched Revenge of the Sith last night, and while the editing is a little disjointed, the opening through crashing on Coruscant is one of my favorite sequences in all six movies. Especially the crashing part. The flaming wreckage of Grievous's ship as it enters the atmosphere is like off a '70s scifi novel cover, it's amazing looking.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Well Manicured Man posted:

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force, weren't you listening to Vader at all?

It'd be like one of those "Point all your fans at Hurrican Irma and blow it away" Facebook events except it would work.

In the original film Vader is portrayed as a religious zealot deeply devoted to the force so he's going to be a bit biased.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

A Star Wars set in the future with droids rising up and going to war for their freedom.

Edit: drat you turn left hillary!! noo!!!!

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 10, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

A Star Wars set in the future with droids rising up and going to war for their freedom.

Edit: drat you turn left hillary!! noo!!!!

I only beat you by 4 hours, sometimes these things happen. You can't blame yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Some potentially very spoilery stuff about things Luke has done in the past came out.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star-wars-novel-claims-luke-is-able-to-down-entire-star-destroyers/

"The bridge went dark. The overhead lights, the view screens, the blinking lights on the banks of consoles. Even the emergency lighting strips on the floor. All around us was the darkness of space…I saw that the bridge windows were rapidly filling with expanding columns of energy…
A jolt, as if the entire Star Destroyer had been picked up by a giant hand and slammed against the ground. The ship slowed, drifted, stopped and then the stark lifeless surface of Jakku swung into view, filling the windows, and we fell, we fell."

The book is "tall tales" but ... it pretty much confirms Luke was on Jakku I have to say.

“As a cargo ship rockets across the galaxy to Canto Bight, the deckhands on board trade stories about legendary JediKnight Luke Skywalker. But are the stories of iconic and mysterious Luke Skywalker true, or merely tall tales passed from one corner of the galaxy to another? Is Skywalker really a famous Jedi hero, an elaborate charlatan, or even part droid? The deckhands will have to decide for themselves when they hear The Legends of Luke Skywalker.”