Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nobody has noticed that Question Four, in their own story that mentions impossible questions in exams, literally does not contain a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Ghostlight posted:

Nobody has noticed that Question Four, in their own story that mentions impossible questions in exams, literally does not contain a question.

it's meta, you're meant to look at the answer to find the question.

also i hosed up the first one but i wasn't paying attention and thought it was 2n-100, not 4n-100, do they still do ECF these days?

e: also also, it's it really "guessing" if you actually sit down and work it out? like, a guess be just tossing out "60!" and seeing how it plays out.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, there's a poo poo ton of coordination among markers to determine the correct marks whenever there's discretion in the question. They meet several times during the marking period, get check marked and so on. I guess you'd probably get achieved mark since the 'explain' indicates that the question is probably at a merit level IIRC.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/98652630/Heres-why-removing-tertiary-fees-will-make-inequality-worse

In which we redefine "inequality" to mean "everyone receives the exact same benefit via their use of public services" and therefore tertiary fees actually make taxes fairer and reduce inequality

quote:

Alas, trusting people with their own money is usually a step too far for most governments.

Ah there we go.

quote:

Therefore, government subsidies are effectively a regressive tax where the richest have their education subsidised by the poorest. In NZ, those who do not study at tertiary level miss out on approximately $1000/year (or $80,000 over the average lifetime) in government benefits.

I know it's an opinion page but jesus Stuff.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's not wrong that we should gently caress the rich, only that we should gently caress the poor in order to do so.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mm yes education is exclusively for personal gain

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I too spend all 80 years of my life in tertiary education

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Apparently defence spending is a form of universal basic income that results in a transfer of wealth from the rich to the poor.

Uhh... What?

How did this person get an engineering PhD and two economic /financial postgraduate diplomas?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's because the military gives the poors something constructive to do with their lives.

I, for one, find it hard to believe an engineer has a poor understanding of how society works.

Also, for the record, he does not have a post-graduate diploma in economics. He has a graduate diploma in economics that he did after receiving his phD, which is not the same thing. His 'financial planning' diploma is the standard Business Administration basically anybody who wants to run or manage a business, such as a bra shop, has.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Is it just me or has Paddy Gower gotten really lazy? His articles are often only about 100 words, and the writing is very poor. He doesn't seem to understand the difference between a sentence and a paragraph, it's like he just types up and publishes his notes

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

You seem to be implying he's ever been anything other than terrible and stupid.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Depression is hell of a thing. Good that labour is increasing the mental health budget to help people just like him, not that he couldn’t afford his own treatment.

He still has to front up to the problem that he is an ignorant dumbass .

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Probably harder to churn out pages of stream of consciousness drivel when suffering from meth withdrawal.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Looks like TPP is dead, at least for the time being. It's a shame I think, if they'd managed to reach an agreement that didn't involve ISDSs it would've been good for NZ and a big win for the new govt.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forgoing sovereignty of any sort to multinationals was stupid in the first place and no one could sell that. They poisoned what could have been an actual free trade deal. The most stupid part was our useless negotiators couldn't do the one thing they were sent for which was free trade on milk.

Good riddance.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
It's probably a blessing in disguise that we couldn't negotiate better trade with milk, the last thing we need is for dairy to become more attractive and lucrative, since that will strengthen fonterra and gently caress us even more environmentally, plus one of these days someone is gonna figure out synthetic milk and our dairy industry is gonna collapse.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

klen dool posted:

It's probably a blessing in disguise that we couldn't negotiate better trade with milk, the last thing we need is for dairy to become more attractive and lucrative, since that will strengthen fonterra and gently caress us even more environmentally, plus one of these days someone is gonna figure out synthetic milk and our dairy industry is gonna collapse.

There was an article floating around a few weeks ago about synth meat & milk and how Federated Farmers/Fonterra's (come on, they're basically the same anyway) official attitude was just "nah it'll never happen, lets convert some more farms" despite huge strides being made and a bunch of their own scientists/advisors begging them to take it more seriously.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

Probably harder to churn out pages of stream of consciousness drivel when suffering from meth withdrawal.

You're correct except the part about withdrawal, he's not withdrawing from poo poo.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

There was an article floating around a few weeks ago about synth meat & milk and how Federated Farmers/Fonterra's (come on, they're basically the same anyway) official attitude was just "nah it'll never happen, lets convert some more farms" despite huge strides being made and a bunch of their own scientists/advisors begging them to take it more seriously.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

That might be their public opinion but I know that they've been putting some real money into investigating if and how much it'll gently caress them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trompe le Monde posted:

That might be their public opinion but I know that they've been putting some real money into investigating if and how much it'll gently caress them.

Synth meats/dairy to fonterra will be as netflix/the internet to TV and I for one can't wait to point and laugh hysterically.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivz7EIfW5Xo

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Like I'm gonna spend 10 minutes listening to a National MP talking

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Trompe le Monde posted:

Why the gently caress don't they put real money into how to exploit synthetic milk instead? What a waste. Every time I see a fonterra ad on telly, all I can think of is the price of dairy at the supermarket and how it got so expensive.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You would think the number of times the milk prices collapsed or fonterra shanked the farmers they would learn. But nope, lets drive ourselves into bankruptcy or working poverty in the hopes they get paid 100% more for taking the absurd risk by going 100%+ loan on a farm. The next jump in price brings in a bunch of new suckers to continue the cycle.

Then they take too much water, poo poo on the environment that is supporting them and farm places that wasn't meant to support farming in the first place hence the "Cheap" price.

Farmers are so stupid.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Whelp. I just had to explain to my Uncle why applying a flat tax fucks over the poor. Guy means well, though - he genuinely didn't think that a recessive tax would push people over into the 'Do I have food or power this week' boundary.

Bit disappointing that it was an appeal to authority that won him over rather than rationale. As in he went "Oh, wait, you're an accountant. I guess you'd know about tax."

Still, a good family meeting.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Finally, something National and Labour can agree on

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

Whelp. I just had to explain to my Uncle why applying a flat tax fucks over the poor. Guy means well, though - he genuinely didn't think that a recessive tax would push people over into the 'Do I have food or power this week' boundary.

Bit disappointing that it was an appeal to authority that won him over rather than rationale. As in he went "Oh, wait, you're an accountant. I guess you'd know about tax."

Still, a good family meeting.

:3:

Good for you. Always nice to hear someone's views change.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

bike tory posted:

Would you still get full marks in the first one if you didn't do a simultaneous equation? It seems like an unnecessary step since you aren't solving for two variables.

That's a good question, and I'm going to say probably not. I would imagine that the point of that question was to solve the problem using simultaneous equations, so you would have to use them even if there was a better alternative. I definitely remember doing similar things back in fifth form, and hell, even in university.

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 12, 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So apparently United Future is disbanding.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
lol owned

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Vagabundo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGY_cnDz91c

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Vagabundo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67bZGL3hMnI

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bbbbbut they had so much to give

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Duncan Garner is against racism now that it has negatively affected his family.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/98855718/am-show-duncan-garners-son-told-he-couldnt-use-a-slide-because-he-was-black

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

quote:

The incident happened about 18 months ago

Looks like deflection.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

First comment (E: oh my god how is Stuff ordered, what the gently caress is going on)?

onecent posted:

Well since you brought it up. My son was heckled every day walking to his college over 20 years ago. He was called whitey, and a lot of worse names he didn't even know the meaning of. It was the first time he had encountered racial prejudice as he had a mixed group of friends at primary school and we had thought we all got along well. Silly us.

Mmm. Good old reverse racism.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who would have thought racism is an equal opportunity employer! Not equal pay through.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

National are being shitheads over paid parental leave. Part of me hopes Labour calls their loving bluff and introduces a separate use it or lose it entitlement for father's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bike tory posted:

National are being shitheads over paid parental leave. Part of me hopes Labour calls their loving bluff and introduces a separate use it or lose it entitlement for father's.

Just make it so both parents get 26 weeks and start laughing at them as they announce it.

• Locked thread