Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Walrus posted:

It's in one of the moon levels or did I just miss it? thought the only real underwater areas were the lake and seaside kingdoms.

how did you get to the lighthouse in the seaside kingdom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

It's a bit annoying to me that the only way to find purple coins missing from your collection is to buy a $13 toy.

Imagine not knowing about Google in TYOOL 2017.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

It's a bit annoying to me that the only way to find purple coins missing from your collection is to buy a $13 toy.

If you were missing blue coins in Sunshine you were just SOL. The internet also helps and is free.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

McDragon posted:

how did you get to the lighthouse in the seaside kingdom?

I just saw the eel on youtube. I'm super confused cause however I got up there it didn't involve him.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Walrus posted:

I just saw the eel on youtube. I'm super confused cause however I got up there it didn't involve him.

You probably cheesed it with the octopus things. A shameful gamer.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
There is at least one other eel section too.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
You could also just ask in this very thread. I'm sure for most of the kingdoms there are particular sets of purple coins that gave everyone some trouble

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

An easy way to distinguish coins from those you've already collected is that they'll be grayed out instead of purple in the overworld— you can also pull up the collections tab on the map to check how many purple coins total you have left to collect

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lobster Harmonica posted:

An easy way to distinguish coins from those you've already collected is that they'll be grayed out instead of purple in the overworld— you can also pull up the collections tab on the map to check how many purple coins total you have left to collect

That doesn't really help when some of the coins are in spots like the ones that are off the edge of a world and you have to hang off the ledge to get them. Those are a total dick move. I never would have found the ones in the Sand Kingdom without the Bowser amiibo because I would have gone insane running the whole edge of that giant rear end map peering off into the abyss to see if there's any coins left.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'd never have managed them all without Bowser Power. I'd always be missing two or three. Then I read what it did. Tried not to use it too much though, I'd do the world on my own and collect as I went, and then use it to mop up the rest.

Oh, and I pinged all the side areas to check if there were any coins first so I didn't have to worry about those

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Funking jump rope piece of ship

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Super Mario Odyssey gave me the sense of wonder I felt playing Super Mario 64 as a kid. It made me want to do a drawing with crayons which led to this.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Almost every time they make sure to introduce Banzai Bill smashing through a wall of destructible blocks.

Its really good in the New Super Mario games because the banzai bill takes up almost the entire screen.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Using the Bowser amiibo to find purple coins is like Frodo using the One Ring. Eventually Bowser and his Broodals are going to find you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Internet Kraken posted:

Super Mario Odyssey gave me the sense of wonder I felt playing Super Mario 64 as a kid. It made me want to do a drawing with crayons which led to this.

Its really good in the New Super Mario games because the banzai bill takes up almost the entire screen.

This is really cool man, awesome work.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

this super reminds me of great Yoshi game art, love it

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

That's a pretty big if, though. You're not going to get those notes on your first try, and with the way the path curves I'm pretty sure it's designed to get you make that exact discovery.

i got them on my first try

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

RCarr posted:

Imagine not knowing about Google in TYOOL 2017.

I know I can look up the locations of the purple coins online, it's just annoying that when you only have like 3/100 left in a big world and you feel like you've already been everywhere in it, you have to go around and essentially revisit every single purple coin location along with whatever YouTube video you find. At least with the moons, you can eventually get a pointer that tells you their general location.

I'm not goddamn Rainman, i'm not going to remember every single coin I have collected, so revisiting every single purple coin location is going to be necessary, and obnoxious.

... which brings me back to my original point. Once you get a certain percentage of purple coins in a level collected, you should be able to buy hints for the locations of the remaining ones.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 10, 2017

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

... which brings me back to my original point. Once you get a certain percentage of purple coins in a level collected, you should be able to buy hints for the locations of the remaining ones.

You can buy hints for $13, is the original point.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
95 :negative:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I loving DID IT

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mario as the rocket always makes me think a Portal turret.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finished Bonneton and dragon land today. Think I will try to finish one land a day. The races I can see are gonna be a little tricky.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want Amiibo of all the Vacation Peach outfits. Gimme them fashionable Peaches

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/nintendogs_2/status/928887290306347008

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Finished Bonneton and dragon land today. Think I will try to finish one land a day. The races I can see are gonna be a little tricky.

Nah they're not too bad. The master race in cascade kingdom was the hardest for me, every other kingdom I did on the first try, with a couple on the second.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I thought the Cap Kingdom race was kind of hard because there's no real short-cuts there.

Cascade was ok, it took me a few attempts just because I kept messing up a wall jump and the sequence of cap jumps over the clouds.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I thought the Cap Kingdom race was kind of hard because there's no real short-cuts there.

Yea this was the only race in the game I felt like you could actually lose. Every other race has some huge easy shortcut that let's you win by 20 seconds or more.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I've got Iceburn Circuit, jump rope, and volleyball left

These minigames are tearing me apart, Lisa

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Said it before and I'll say it again, and another goon said it to me, for volleyball just do two-player mode, park Mario in the corner of the court, and play as Cappy.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Iceburn Circuit S is a load of bullshit. Is rubberband AI involved?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There's a moon behind the chapel and I have to catch this little tiny bubble guy that keeps flying off. Is there some sort of trick here? All the other ones I've been able to creep up and cap them but I'm kinda stuck here

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I noticed the gold koopa is really intimidating with his routes but if you follow him he often stops to gently caress around and let you win near the end of every race. I was trying to pull off cool shortcuts in Cascade because oh poo poo he's good only to learn if I just went the normal route at a alright pace I'd win anyway

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gently caress this moon

https://twitter.com/mmmossy/status/929138241097232384?s=17

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The secret is you don't need to roll for the whole thing. Once i got to the final stretch I just ran it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sockser posted:

There's a moon behind the chapel and I have to catch this little tiny bubble guy that keeps flying off. Is there some sort of trick here? All the other ones I've been able to creep up and cap them but I'm kinda stuck here

You have to get really close but not too close so it doesn't fly away. Then hit it with Cappy. I needed to do the homing move to get it

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Macaluso posted:

You have to get really close but not too close so it doesn't fly away. Then hit it with Cappy. I needed to do the homing move to get it

Homing hat throw really solves a lot of difficult situations in this game I’ve found.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Homing hat is so loving good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nintendo translator Rob T. posted a description of the process of localizing "Jump Up, Super Star!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That link don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Who the gently caress are these nerds who have time to hit a volleyball in a Mario game 25 thousand times in a row

• Locked thread