Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Insofar as "why isn't Tokyo burning ruin already" then yes, it's the excuse to recycle Toei Quarry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GuyUpNorth posted:

Insofar as "why isn't Tokyo burning ruin already" then yes, it's the excuse to recycle Toei Quarry.

A good shitload of the battles do take place in Tokyo and feature explosions big and small that really ought to be causing lasting damage, so I both disagree and have to ask if you've watched Ex-Aid.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Stage select was such a blatant way to skip to the stunt sets i can't hate it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zedd posted:

Stage select was such a blatant way to skip to the stunt sets i can't hate it.

No, don't you see, it's a narrative device that the show leans on because it can't tell its own story

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are you really suggesting that the stage selects were the loving narrative lynchpin of Ex-Aid

No, I'm saying it's a writer crutch to transition from a scene they did to a scene they really wanted to do even if it made no sense to explain how it happened.

A similar concept in PR-world would be "Behold the Viewing Globe", and how the PR villains had free vision everywhere in the universe from Rita's telescope to, well Divatox's periscope, until Judd Lynn wrote In Space and took that crutch away from that show's villain.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

No, I'm saying it's a writer crutch to transition from a scene they did to a scene they really wanted to do even if it made no sense to explain how it happened.

A similar concept in PR-world would be "Behold the Viewing Globe", and how the PR villains had free vision everywhere in the universe from Rita's telescope to, well Divatox's periscope, until Judd Lynn wrote In Space and took that crutch away from that show's villain.

Did you manage to watch Ex-Aid without subs? It's not a similar concept. Stage Select doesn't act as a means of clairvoyance, nor is it a thing that brings a Rider physically to his opponent (except in a few rare cases). It's used to make fights in progress flashier.

To your comparison, poster, I say no thank you.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 10, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Bruh. I wasn't saying it ruined KREX. I'm saying it's a hard cut transition that easily allows for cutting in and out of localized footage.

Superhero toku does it a lot, it's just that stage select does it more nakedly than anything this side of Akibaranger's delusion world.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Your earlier post:

Craptacular! posted:

KR wasn't even able to tell it's own story without leaning on a bunch of bullshit Stage Select!! transitions to random rock quarries and warehouses

suggested you thought it was a way to tie things together in terms of plot instead of literally just style points, but okay.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Was stage select somehow worse than someone in a city getting kicked off screen to land in a forest?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Toku without awkward scene transitions is hardly Toku at-

Oh, hey, look, we're at the one concrete pipe yard in Japan.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PMush Perfect posted:

Toku without awkward scene transitions is hardly Toku at-

Oh, hey, look, we're at the one concrete pipe yard in Japan.

My favorite is that one western-style mansion that Toei seems to own, that they recycle for everything. It was the Ozu household in Magiranger, I distinctly remember it being some monster lair in like at least 2 other sentai, I'm pretty sure it's shown up at least once in Kamen Rider. It's got a very distinctive exterior, so it's easy to spot.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Craptacular! posted:

I tried just watching the theme credits for VR Troopers the other day and couldn't stop laughing, largely at the footage of actors wearing boxes over their eyes pretending to see something while superimposed shapes ghost over the screen. It so closely resembles the negative social stigma of today's in-home VR headsets (e.g. you look ridiculous wearing that thing, that one Palmer Luckey TIME cover, etc) that revisiting the property almost seems like an idea whose time has come.

if you dont scream WE ARE VEE ARE every time you put on a rift or vive you're doing it wrong.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Boxman posted:

if you dont scream WE ARE VEE ARE every time you put on a rift or vive you're doing it wrong.

smh if you don't prefix that with TROOPER TRANSFORM

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Y'all need more Akibaranger in your lives.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytyme_VHoXI

And now for the return of the Green Ranger in a weirdly dark episode.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lizard Wizard posted:

As usual, this was fantastic. I lost it at "DINOZORD! DINOZORD! DINOZORD! DINOZORD! DINOZORD!...crystals."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lizard Wizard posted:

We're surprisingly far from season 2 still, I forgot season 1 was 60 episodes, instead of 52.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

We're surprisingly far from season 2 still, I forgot season 1 was 60 episodes, instead of 52.

The whole of MMPR is weirdly shaped and all the worse when you remember that it was going effectively without break week to week.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Burkion posted:

The whole of MMPR is weirdly shaped and all the worse when you remember that it was going effectively without break week to week.

Actually, it scaled back to 3 episodes or so a week in either season 2 or 3 iirc.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd guess 3 considering all the three parters those seasons had

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well they were running low on Sentai footage by then so I assume the whole "We actually need to go out and film on location" slowed things down a bit.

I like how a few reasons just take place at a place more or less at that point. S3 of MMPR is at the Angel Grove Lake and Recreation Grounds, PRiS happens in Downtown LA, etc.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd guess 3 considering all the three parters those seasons had

More episodes are parts of a multi-parter in season 3 than not!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FilthyImp posted:

I like how a few reasons just take place at a place more or less at that point. S3 of MMPR is at the Angel Grove Lake and Recreation Grounds, PRiS happens in Downtown LA, etc.

Downtown was used fairly regularly starting in season 2 and onward for some time. My favorite is Blue Senturion glitching our helping an old lady cross the street in front of City Hall.

For Lost Galaxy they eventually moved on to, I dunno, Burbank or something.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
They only fights I remember from season two took place at that drat park and beach.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You gotta remember that old west backlot and the Australian theater.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You gotta remember that old west backlot and the Australian theater.

Oh yeah. Guess I've just blocked out everything that happened after the white ranger first showed up and things went down hill really fast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JT Smiley posted:

Oh yeah. Guess I've just blocked out everything that happened after the white ranger first showed up and things went down hill really fast.

But things went uphill really fast right around when they were turned into kids. That's a great two parter immediately followed by the wedding and then basically all pretty good multiparters to close out the season. Rita and Zedd together completely revitalizes everything

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But things went uphill really fast right around when they were turned into kids. That's a great two parter immediately followed by the wedding and then basically all pretty good multiparters to close out the season. Rita and Zedd together completely revitalizes everything

Eh, I pretty much checked out after the power transfer. It didn't help that everything you mentioned featured either absolutely horrible fight choreography or poorly editied diaranger footage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JT Smiley posted:

Eh, I pretty much checked out after the power transfer. It didn't help that everything you mentioned featured either absolutely horrible fight choreography or poorly editied diaranger footage.

Most of the stuff after the kids episode was actually original footage except the Zord fights. It seems around that time that got a giant shipment of the rubber suits from Toei and went their own way.

Dairanger Zord fights after that also weren't poorly edited so much as Dairanger Zord fights were just mostly pretty bad in the first place.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Until they used zyu 2 footage and had to splice in the thunder megazord in place of the regular megazord. Those zord battles were terrible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

Until they used zyu 2 footage and had to splice in the thunder megazord in place of the regular megazord. Those zord battles were terrible.

I was always kinda confused about that. Did Saban's people not tell the footage makers that they were switching to a new Megazord and thus to make some stopgap footage with the new stuff? Like, why ask for X amount of Zyu2 stuff when you surely knew you had only X-5 episodes until you switched over to Thunder Zord footage from whatever that source was?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think the decision to use the Dairanger toys came after a bunch of Zyu2 footage was set in stone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But things went uphill really fast right around when they were turned into kids.
Some of the kidquest stuff was ok, but god the Alien Rangers poo poo suuuuuucked so bad. Every 7 minutes it was "We need highly purified water now" or "Billy invented something that solves the water prob-- oops it broke"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

RBX posted:

I was too old for the show when it was popular, and I only now in my 30s noticed what’s going on there and it’s only after people pointed to stopped frames and showed me where to look.

I guess I can easily suspend my disbelief and it’s why I can like this show. On the other hand the times In Space zoomed in on a piece of paper on fire to represent mass devastation reached my limit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RBX posted:

That was early season 2. Around power transfer is about when they were done with that

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hi, I'm like the world's only admirer of Dairanger mecha.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Star Man posted:

Hi, I'm like the world's only admirer of Dairanger mecha.

Buh? I thought they were popular. We're talking about Samurai, Dragon transformer, and tiger transformer, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I thought the issue most people have with Dairanger is the mech fights (which the producer didn't even want to include at first) not the quality of the designs themselves (which I've personally always liked).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 12, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
DaiRanger has some of the most beautiful and unique mecha in the entire goddamn franchise.

The fact that it's one robot using the others as samurai armor is brilliant and a fresh way to do a combiner.

The problem is that the MMPR Zyu2 Dairanger spliced fights are LITERALLY JUST AS GOOD as the actual DiaRanger zord fights

The best fights using those suits come from the AMERICAN footage when they had them fight each other and new monsters. That's just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Dairanger's ultrazord finisher is a colony drop, it rules.