Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AbstractNapper posted:

What's the problem with the Blade Runner title, again? Is it a copyrights thing?

Licensing. Problem with all franchises. Same for the Dune games, the Terminator games, the Robocop games and so on. The copyright for the Blade Runner title belongs to Westwood/Virgin/EA/whatever; but they didn't own the IP for the setting and name. (The Blade Runner IP itself is a mess in the first place, by the way.) You need to get everyone on board first so that the license can be renewed. And getting everyone on board can be difficult, because the non-game companies involved can have strange ideas, such as "our franchise is a goldmine, we want eleventy gazillion dollars for the license" or "this is an old game so it sucks and it would damage our franchise if we were again associated with that old garbage".

It's a good thing that the Star Wars and Indiana Jones games were made by a studio that belonged to Lucasfilm (and now to Disney).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Just do what they did for the C64 version and get round it by licensing the Vangelis album.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Also highly unlikely, since a lot of the older games in that franchise use The Forbidden Mech Designs That We Can Never Speak Of Again.

If you're going as far as doing a source port, you can presumably change the mission files to remove the handful of Unseen in the game, but yeah. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 10, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Good to see the Discworld on that list. I'm sure they haven't aged well, but I lost so much time playing those when I was a kid. I didn't understand a clue what I was doing at the time but it was so charming and creative that I didn't really care.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you're doing a source port, you can presumably chop the handful of Unseen designs they used out and replace them with something else in the mission scripts, but yeah. :(

A full 3/4's of the Battlemechs in the original Mechwarrior game are Unseen.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I'd love to see the Midwinter games on GOG.
Midwinter was a early 90s open world game similar to Metal Gear Solid 5 where you did Metal Gear Stuff infiltration & destruction missions,
only the Midwinter series was compiled for Amiga systems.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A full 3/4's of the Battlemechs in the original Mechwarrior game are Unseen.

The only MW games I want rereleased are MW2, MW4 and the corresponding Mercs games, though. :v:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

I'd love to see the Midwinter games on GOG.
Midwinter was a early 90s open world game similar to Metal Gear Solid 5 where you did Metal Gear Stuff infiltration & destruction missions,
only the Midwinter series was compiled for Amiga systems.

I played the first Midwinter on PC, it was interesting. Also I don't remember it being anything like an MGS game...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

The only MW games I want rereleased are MW2, MW4 and the corresponding Mercs games, though. :v:

MW4 in hindsight had a terrible control system.

MWO for all it's many, many faults gets controlling a mech right.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

MWO for all it's many, many faults gets controlling a mech right.

MW5 Mercs will be good, if it actually releases in a relatively playable state.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Since NOLF was mentioned in that tweet I feel I have to point out that this is a thing: http://nolfrevival.tk/

Also, it may have been mentioned but I stumbled upon a post in the Gog forums about how their Ignition includes the windows version apparently. You need a VM to get it working on anything from Win8 though.

Also also I hope Discworld Noir is the game Night Dive is working on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Since NOLF was mentioned in that tweet I feel I have to point out that this is a thing: http://nolfrevival.tk/

Also, it may have been mentioned but I stumbled upon a post in the Gog forums about how their Ignition includes the windows version apparently. You need a VM to get it working on anything from Win8 though.

Also also I hope Discworld Noir is the game Night Dive is working on.

I'd expect Discworld 1&2 either first or at the same time, as those are functional games outside of the licensing; They've worked in SCUMMVM for years now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bruteman posted:

I played the first Midwinter on PC, it was interesting. Also I don't remember it being anything like an MGS game...
MW2: Flames of Freedom is basically Just Cause, with controllable cars, subs, hovercraft and poo poo, plus CYOA elements for the times when you're dealing with informants or escaping prison.
It's a kind of game where you arrive on an island only to have a squadron of zeppelins try to bomb the poo poo out of you, so you hijack one (from the ground), set in on autopilot and fast travel to an informant guy, who double crosses you and hands you over to the police, so you try to seduce the guard to escape, but fail (because your sex is not high enough), and simply punch the next guard out, jump on a train, get to a base, steal a tank and drive it into a unit of light hovercraft to kill their commanding officer.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

Good to see the Discworld on that list. I'm sure they haven't aged well, but I lost so much time playing those when I was a kid. I didn't understand a clue what I was doing at the time but it was so charming and creative that I didn't really care.

The source material is good. Eric Idle voices Rincewind. But the puzzles. Oh man the puzzles.
They're on the level of Cat Hair Mustache. For every puzzle

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollenhammer posted:

The source material is good. Eric Idle voices Rincewind. But the puzzles. Oh man the puzzles.

Some were pretty fun.

Polly wanna cracker :unsmigghh:.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hollenhammer posted:

My memory is fuzzy about the puzzles. I remember playing and getting somewhat far. It's been a while though...

SelenicMartian posted:

MW2: Flames of Freedom is basically Just Cause, with controllable cars, subs, hovercraft and poo poo, plus CYOA elements for the times when you're dealing with informants or escaping prison.
It's a kind of game where you arrive on an island only to have a squadron of zeppelins try to bomb the poo poo out of you, so you hijack one (from the ground), set in on autopilot and fast travel to an informant guy, who double crosses you and hands you over to the police, so you try to seduce the guard to escape, but fail (because your sex is not high enough), and simply punch the next guard out, jump on a train, get to a base, steal a tank and drive it into a unit of light hovercraft to kill their commanding officer.

I've never heard of this game :eyepop:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wamdoodle posted:

I've never heard of this game :eyepop:
The 3D engine is rather primitive, and it controls like rear end.

The third game, Ashes of Empire where you did mostly the same, only in the former USSR lands, came with a VHS explaining how to play.
On the plus side, you could come to a border checkpoint in not-Ukraine and successfully covert the officer there to your cause by begging really hard. A prophetic game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SelenicMartian posted:

The 3D engine is rather primitive, and it controls like rear end.

Given its age, I don't doubt that. Lol. Still sounds pretty neat.

SelenicMartian posted:

The third game, Ashes of Empire where you did mostly the same, only in the former USSR lands, came with a VHS explaining how to play.
On the plus side, you could come to a border checkpoint in not-Ukraine and successfully covert the officer there to your cause by begging really hard. A prophetic game.

That owns.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

Apologizes for double-posting, but I just saw this tweet from Stephen Kick, the CEO of Night Dive.

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/928795331789066240

I wonder what two titles are being worked on, and if we'll see anything else on that list get a digital release.

List is missing Freedom Fighters, 0/10

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a very simple rule; You don't use the Unseen, you don't get sued out your rear end by Harmony Gold. And yet every couple of years some new company forgets that rule when trying to make a Mechwarrior game.

IIRC Harmony Gold doesn't actually own the rights/designs they keep suing people over.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If Night Dive ports Timesplitters: Future Perfect I'd be so freaking hyped. The Silent Hills, Darkness 1, and the Inscape games would be really hype for me too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Accordion Man posted:

If Night Dive ports Timesplitters: Future Perfect I'd be so freaking hyped. The Silent Hills, Darkness 1, and the Inscape would be really hype for me too.

I'm with you on SH especially. Apart from Homecoming, which isn't very good, finding PC copies of the Silent Hill games was a chore.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm with you on SH especially. Apart from Homecoming, which isn't very good, finding PC copies of the Silent Hill games was a chore.
What sucks even more is that the PC versions of 2 and 3 are pretty much the best versions with some patching.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/youre-now-free-to-move-about-vice-city-a-history-of-open-world-gaming/
describes Midwinter series better than I could, along with the 1990s Mercenary & 1990s Hunter games.
Add those two series to the GOG wishlist.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Look like a couple of new games have gotten added to the store in the last couple of days. You can now get Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, along with NecroVision and its prequel, Lost Company.

I've thought about picking up NecroVision for a while now. It's been on Steam for a while and goes on sale for pretty cheap, but I've hesitant to pick it up in fear that it won't run properly . Is anyone familiar with the game? I've heard it's similar to Painkiller.

EDIT: Also, as a reminder, there are only 10 hour left to grab a free copy of Syberia.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I've thought about picking up NecroVision for a while now. It's been on Steam for a while and goes on sale for pretty cheap, but I've hesitant to pick it up in fear that it won't run properly . Is anyone familiar with the game? I've heard it's similar to Painkiller.

It's nowhere near as fast paced, or good. The game ran decent enough on my machine, but there's no doubt it hasn't been optimized properly. The jank is real and everything feels unpolished. Also, some of the upgrade challenges they throw at you are impossibly hard to pull off.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

NecroVision was one of those games goons used to praise because of its jank. I never got far into it because of the issues but I remember the voice acting being spectacular.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
For two bucks I'd say it's worth experiencing. It's a game where you get a vampire gauntlet in WWI and run around shooting zombies and insane soldiers with dual Maxim guns or stabbing them with a entrenching tool while the character shouts stuff like "My guns, never tire!" and "I can't remember who's good or bad, but I'm the guy with the guns!"

One of the secrets lets you meet J. R. R. Tolkien and the intro video is extremely anime and not representative of gameplay. It's been several years but I don't think the barbed wire monster ever shows up in game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6maN0DdD0

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a very simple rule; You don't use the Unseen, you don't get sued out your rear end by Harmony Gold. And yet every couple of years some new company forgets that rule when trying to make a Mechwarrior game.

I sort of wonder if anyone's ever going to just flip Harmony Gold the bird with both hands and fight them over it. That whole situation is really bonkers and I can't imagine it would be hard to get HG's exclusive, perpetual license to everything Macross overturned.

Party Plane Jones posted:

IIRC Harmony Gold doesn't actually own the rights/designs they keep suing people over.

They... do and don't. It's insanely loving complicated.

Basically, Macross is something of a copyright clusterfuck in Japan, with multiple copyright owners that don't really get along great with each other (Tatsunoko, Big West and Studio Nue). Tatsunoko were under the mistaken impression that they singlehandedly owned the entire Macross franchise, and licensed these rights to Harmony Gold, who then made Robotech and proceeded to trademark and copyright literally everything Macross-related in the US. Studio Nue then went "oh poo poo" and took Tatsunoko to court in Japan, which ended up with Tatsunoko's rights to the IP being invalidated and Studio Nue having full control of the rights.

In theory, you'd think this would invalidate Harmony Gold's license, but their response to this was essentially "hahaha gently caress you we still own Macross outside of Japan." The Unseen should actually be entirely legal for Battletech stuff to use, since the rights were properly purchased from the actual Japanese rights holders, but Harmony Gold gives no fucks about this. Harmony Gold even tried to sue Hasbro because Jetfire's design from Transformers is based on a Valkyrie from Macross, but this bit them in the rear end because a) Jetfire predates Harmony Gold's acquisition of the rights by a year and his design was properly licensed, and b) Hasbro has a way the gently caress bigger war chest than they do.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 11, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's basically yet another problem with US copyright law being run on decades-old opinions by idiotic judges who don't understand non-standard subject matters, instead of a problem with Macross or the Macross rights holders.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think international copyright law should include a clause saying that when an IP dispute becomes such an intractable clusterfuck, the IP in question becomes public domain.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

C.M. Kruger posted:

One of the secrets lets you meet J. R. R. Tolkien and the intro video is extremely anime and not representative of gameplay. It's been several years but I don't think the barbed wire monster ever shows up in game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6maN0DdD0

oh god, those faces

are these the same people responsible for Painkiller's cutscenes

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unfortunately MW2 and its expansions are off the table for using Unseen same as MW1. MW4 is the one most likely to come out as AFAIK all the rights for it are with Microsoft and the current owners of BattleTech. MW3 is even less likely due to the fact that is was developed by multiple companies.

Personally off that list I want Metal Storm and KISS. KISS just for comedy reasons.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Gunman Chronicles had some very fun ideas that noone ever picked up on, like the color cannon and the modifiable rocket launcher. It was a great LAN arena game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I wouldn't mind paying for the Myth series. Always wanted to play Myth II.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I sort of wonder if anyone's ever going to just flip Harmony Gold the bird with both hands and fight them over it. That whole situation is really bonkers and I can't imagine it would be hard to get HG's exclusive, perpetual license to everything Macross overturned.

They... do and don't. It's insanely loving complicated.

Basically, Macross is something of a copyright clusterfuck in Japan, with multiple copyright owners that don't really get along great with each other (Tatsunoko, Big West and Studio Nue). Tatsunoko were under the mistaken impression that they singlehandedly owned the entire Macross franchise, and licensed these rights to Harmony Gold, who then made Robotech and proceeded to trademark and copyright literally everything Macross-related in the US. Studio Nue then went "oh poo poo" and took Tatsunoko to court in Japan, which ended up with Tatsunoko's rights to the IP being invalidated and Studio Nue having full control of the rights.

In theory, you'd think this would invalidate Harmony Gold's license, but their response to this was essentially "hahaha gently caress you we still own Macross outside of Japan." The Unseen should actually be entirely legal for Battletech stuff to use, since the rights were properly purchased from the actual Japanese rights holders, but Harmony Gold gives no fucks about this. Harmony Gold even tried to sue Hasbro because Jetfire's design from Transformers is based on a Valkyrie from Macross, but this bit them in the rear end because a) Jetfire predates Harmony Gold's acquisition of the rights by a year and his design was properly licensed, and b) Hasbro has a way the gently caress bigger war chest than they do.

I know brand loyalty should never be a thing, but at this point despite loving Robotech as a kid I'd much rather Harmony Gold ended up bankrupt so they would stop with their dumbass copyright fuckery. It has been going on for decades now and is getting old. Macek dying on top of that should have meant the end for the company proper. They aren't propagating the legacy of the shows or mechs or whatever, all they are doing is stopping people from enjoying the legacy proper or evolving it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Mechwarrior 2 series isn't something I desperately need to appear on GOG.
You can still track down copies of the Mechwarrior 2 game discs on ebay/amazon, and getting the Mechwarrior 2 series running on modern systems is very easy.
Just avoid buying the 3D accelerated & demo versions, and be aware that some releases of Mechwarrior 2 titles are Windows only.
I ended up buying all 3 Mechwarrior 2 titles off ebay for around $40 total (that includes buying the DOS only versions + the Platinum trilogy Windows versions).

Mech2.org is a entire website dedicated towards the MechWarrior 2 series, and even hosts a IPX relay for Mechwarrior 2 multiplayer connectivity.

MechVM works great, setting up DOSBox for the DOS versions of the Mechwarrior 2 series takes a bit more time but works just as well as MechVM.
Mechwarrior 2 vanilla multiplayer is freeware as of 1996 (google NetMech), and still works in 2017. (just need to enable IPX emulation, which DOSBox can also do).
Mechwarrior 2: Mercs multiplayer works in 2017 as well, but isn't compatible with Mechwarrior 2 vanilla NetMech.
Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear has no multiplayer support but does offer 1990's VR goggle support.

The only Battletech games that don't have competing current/upcoming "official" modern versions are the 2 old Infocom Battletech games* & the MechAssault** series.

*the 2nd Infocom Battletech game sort of infringes on HBS's upcoming game, so GOG release chance is pretty unlikely but possible.
**XBox games, so yeah, remotely less of a chance of appearing on GOG.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

What's up with the new free game syberia?

Is it an old game, because my laptop recently had half it's ram messed up so I can't play any new games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Billzasilver posted:

What's up with the new free game syberia?

Is it an old game, because my laptop recently had half it's ram messed up so I can't play any new games.
It's like fifteen years old, you should probably be able to run it fine. Play with a guide though, it's got a bunch of tedious backtracking if you don't know where you're going. The atmosphere and writing make it worth playing though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Sweet. Are 2 and 3 also good?