Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hey Motherfucker, I just shed some, I saw you take a piss, get over here and feed me by hand you man wench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

PathAsc posted:

Hey Motherfucker, I just shed some, I saw you take a piss, get over here and feed me by hand you man wench.

Awesome. Elmore gets so excited taking mealworms from my hand that occasionally he gets a fingertip instead. He's going through a shed right now too.

In the meantime, here's some pics of Lily getting up close and personal with him from a couple weeks back. They're kinda fuzzy because I was trying to get the shot before she heard me and jumped down:

Bonus rock star pose:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Awesome. Elmore gets so excited taking mealworms from my hand that occasionally he gets a fingertip instead. He's going through a shed right now too.

In the meantime, here's some pics of Lily getting up close and personal with him from a couple weeks back. They're kinda fuzzy because I was trying to get the shot before she heard me and jumped down:

Bonus rock star pose:

Hell yeah, was hoping for more of this!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

PathAsc posted:

Hell yeah, was hoping for more of this!

:hfive:

I'm not really a snake person -- I'm definitely a lizard girl, but I saw this guy tonight when I was buying crickets and holy hell did I want to just give him a hug. Gorgeous and super friendly. He kept "standing up" against the glass to get my attention and the girl getting my crickets said he was definitely more sociable than the one they'd had before. Happiest looking snek I've ever seen.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's an awesome snek

I'm hoping to go to a good reptile show soon just to chill at.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
My Leo has changed behavior lately and I'm not sure how normal it is.

In the past she'd often be seen outside her cave hanging in the visible part of the cage around the evening, and I'd usually add food to her dish at that point.

I cleaned her cage and changed her substrate (from really nasty paper towels on the cool side to eco earth; I also put some eco earth under the tile on the warm side where the heat pad is to avoid hot spots)

Now she spends almost all of her time in one of her two hides. I think she's eating, though I have both crickets and some free-roaming superworms/beetles and occasionally I see them eating the crickets, so I'm not entirely sure. There seems to be a much lower rate of mealworm removal from the feeding dish as well. But she still looks pretty fat. I thought things went back to normal the other night since I saw her outside the hide, but it was rather cold and one of the heating bulbs had burnt out so she may have just been trying to get closer to the heat.

Should I be concerned? What sort of things should I look for?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Princess just wants to hide and be warm, but some rare times she comes out to bask and say hello!

Edit: And not to be outdone, here comes Little Dude!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I think that's my cute quota observation for the day :swoon:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
It was a pain to take these pictures but here are the ones that aren't a total blurry mess of what I picked up Sunday.

1 Brachypelma Boehmei

5 Caribena Versicolors

4 Pterinopelma Sazimais

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

FreshFeesh posted:

Princess just wants to hide and be warm, but some rare times she comes out to bask and say hello!

Hi5 fellow human with a gecko named Princess.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

It was a pain to take these pictures but here are the ones that aren't a total blurry mess of what I picked up Sunday.

1 Brachypelma Boehmei

5 Caribena Versicolors

4 Pterinopelma Sazimais

Very nice. Those are cool species. I'm a fan of most new world species.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I have yet to get any good pictures of my 2 spiders. Kinda hard when my pink toe is all of half an inch.

Anyway my Princess in all her toeless glory.

And Samus, my dog (Kiya) and my hairy rear end knee while I'm at it. She is a very THICC girl.

That too
\/\/

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 27, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That is a thicc knee

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So a weird thing happened at our office this week. We're a shipping company, and the guys at the package handling spotted this little fella, who traveled all the way from Japan to Scandinavia:

It was in a bit of a stupor, barely moving. It's probably a miracle that it even survived the flight. The cargo hold of the plane can't be much warmer than 2-4 celcius. But after we gave it access to some water and a bright warm lamp, it perked right up.

After some googling, it seems like this is some sort asian house gecko. Very tiny, maybe 3-4cm long. We called a local zoo, and they had a person who knows more about reptiles, as was willing to come pick it up later. Apparently they have some very similar geckos already. It will take a few days for them to get here, so we had a small excursion to the closest pet store to get the poor guy a better temporary home, and some food crickets to eat.

So now the gecko is mostly basking around on leaves or twigs, or hiding underneath. This has been absolutely destructive to our ability to focus on our work, and it's almost a shame to give it to the zoo. :kimchi:

(edit) Also any wise words about keeping this guy alive and comfortable are appreciated. We just have some cat and dog owners here, and nobody with real reptile experience. And since this doesn't seem like a regular pet species, there's little info to work with. We just gotta keep em safe for a couple of days!

Attestant fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 1, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
It's cute <3

Oh and I have an update on my t's:

The P. Sazimai's turned out to be a larger than 1/2" so I've had to rehouse them and I was able to get some juicy pics of one that decided to hang out on the wall of the new enclosure.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 2, 2017

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

It's cute <3

Oh and I have an update on my t's:

The P. Sazimai's turned out to be a larger than 1/2" so I've had to rehouse them and I was able to get some juicy pics of one that decided to hang out on the wall of the new enclosure.

This is not the most accurate way of sexing Ts, but I'd say your saizmai looks like a female.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Centipede posted:

This is not the most accurate way of sexing Ts, but I'd say your saizmai looks like a female.

Cool, I'm going to mark that one down as a possible female then.

What in the picture makes you suspect it's a female?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Tiny gecko update:

It seems to be perfectly fine! I was getting worried about it's food situation, because the crickets seemed massive compared to it's size. And during day they would usually go entirely uneaten. I was concerned that the crickets just went in to hiding in the foliage we set up for the gecko. Other possibility is that it just hunts them down during the night. We know it's been on the move, because some of the humidity on the side of the box had a gecko shaped silhouette in the morning when we arrived.

But then today during our lunch we placed a couple of new crickets in the terrarium, and it took less than five minutes for the gecko to come out of his hiding spot and and happily devour the two insects. Much to the joy of the team.

So at least starvation is not a worry. Still kinda nervous. :ohdear:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Good on you for calling the right people for that gecko, and gently caress if that thing ain't cute! The updates are nice!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

PathAsc posted:

Good on you for calling the right people for that gecko, and gently caress if that thing ain't cute! The updates are nice!

Our health & regulations team basically just wanted to kill it and be done with it, but then the shipping team itself brought it to us instead. Probably due to it being cute as a button. My coworker isn't super in to lizards, but loves pets in general. Meanwhile I used to be crazy about lizards and bugs as a kid.

Didn't take us too long to find some herp professionals, just had to call a few people at our local zoo. One of their major attractions is themed around an indoors lizard and insect exhibit, so we had hunch they'd be he right people to call. I am super, super happy they were willing to take it in. :kimchi:

(edit)

Lil' fella came out of hiding to climb around the walls. It's slightly transparent underside is doing a pretty good job showcasing where the crickets went.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 2, 2017

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
A friend has chameleons and over the last few days, it's laid about 14 eggs, they're non fertile. Is there any thing special she should do or just toss the eggs?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
And now we said goodbye to our little traveler.

The zookeeper came in today to pick it up. It'll be headed to first some isolation, to determine species and health and such, and hopefully eventually integrated to one of their suitable exhibits.

Gonna miss the little guy. :ohdear:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Cool, I'm going to mark that one down as a possible female then.

What in the picture makes you suspect it's a female?

By looking at the epigastric furrow. It's not the most accurate way of determining, and I may be wrong. I'd say I'm 70-75% sure.

http://milehighbugclub.com/Methods%20for%20Sexing%20Tarantulas.htm

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Centipede posted:

By looking at the epigastric furrow. It's not the most accurate way of determining, and I may be wrong. I'd say I'm 70-75% sure.

http://milehighbugclub.com/Methods%20for%20Sexing%20Tarantulas.htm

So if I read that right then this one is a possible female?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 4, 2017

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Awwww lil gecko.

When I was a kid and lived on a military base, my dad worked on said base in New Mexico. Our family was known for having tortoises (and this was like 30 years ago when no one did) so when some receiving guys cracked open a crate of air conditioners and a super dehydrated Florida gopher tortoise fell out, they called him asap. Dad brought her home and we acclimated her to the rest of our group. Frisky became my pet, she'd follow me all over the yard and up into the house, and moved with us back to AZ.

Where gopher tortoises are illegal to have. I remember crying and begging my mom that I'd tell no one what kind she was, but she was worried about the local Game and Fish, so we ended up giving her to some animal sanctuary. I don't think I talked to my mom for a week after that.

Godspeed, Frisky. I never kept a personal tortoise again that was just mine.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

So if I read that right then this one is a possible female?

Edit: I'm on my phone and the new pics didn't load. I'm not sure on those pics.

Big Centipede fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 4, 2017

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
The best way to sex tarantulas is from a molt. Buy a cheap magnifying loupe and it will make it much easier.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Centipede posted:

The best way to sex tarantulas is from a molt. Buy a cheap magnifying loupe and it will make it much easier.

Lol, I'm gonna need like a 200x or something for molts from these tiny slings.

In other news I think I'm in love with Avics/caribena/ybyrbora species or arboreal species in general. The webbings they make are so cool. I also think I may just have to pick up a 3" Female GBB after realizing I love looking at tarantula webs.

That and I need something to eat all the feeder insects I bought at that reptile expo. As it turns out 1000 1/4 crickets + 200 mealworms (while I wait for my Dubia colony to establish itself) is waaay to much.

Oh, and HOLY HELL crickets stink like nothing I've ever smelt before. It's not like a rotting food smell or anything like that but it's this weird stink/funk that hit you like a hammer and lingers at the back of your throat and nose. It's soooo gross and trying to catch individual crickets to feed off is such a pain in the rear end.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 4, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Agrajag posted:

In other news I think I'm in love with Avics/caribena/ybyrbora species or arboreal species in general. The webbings they make are so cool. I also think I may just have to pick up a 3" Female GBB after realizing I love looking at tarantula webs.

That and I need something to eat all the feeder insects I bought at that reptile expo. As it turns out 1000 1/4 crickets + 200 mealworms (while I wait for my Dubia colony to establish itself) is waaay to much.

Oh, and HOLY HELL crickets stink like nothing I've ever smelt before. It's not like a rotting food smell or anything like that but it's this weird stink/funk that hit you like a hammer and lingers at the back of your throat and nose. It's soooo gross and trying to catch individual crickets to feed off is such a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, crickets are pretty nasty. That's all I got for ya.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I buy as many crickets as I'm gonna feed in one feeding, and that's it. Back when I used to order them online and the minimum order was like 500, I kept them in a plastic kitchen trash can in the garage (they couldn't climb up the sides). Throw a bunch of egg crate in there, pick up an egg crate and shake crickets off into a plastic bag for feeding time, and after a week or two, just dump everything into a garbage bag and then power-hose out the garbage can.

It was still awful. Just couldn't take it any more. 12 cents a cricket is daylight robbery but I happily pay it over at the nearby PetSmart because it means I can just buy crickets once or twice a week and not deal with the stench and the mess.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Yeah crickets are loving gross. If you're wanting to get more arboreal species, I suggest starting a lateralis colony as well. They tend to climb more and don't burrow, which makes them easier to offer to arboreal Ts.

Also, if you like Avics, you'll love Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius species.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Agrajag posted:

It's soooo gross and trying to catch individual crickets to feed off is such a pain in the rear end.
Do yourself a favor and get something like this.

The crickets hide in the tubes, then you pull the tube out and it turns into an easy cricket dispenser.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
OMFG, the Caribena Versicolor sling that I was freaking out over not eating and was trying to get it to feed every day molted. I am sooooo glad I didn't stress it out to death over this. I couldn't even tell it was in pre-molt, the thing wasn't particularly sluggish from what I could see and I couldn't tell if the abdomen ever got darker or not.

Christ I am so glad I didn't stress that thing to death. How long should I wait till I feed it post-molt?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

OMFG, the Caribena Versicolor sling that I was freaking out over not eating and was trying to get it to feed every day molted. I am sooooo glad I didn't stress it out to death over this. I couldn't even tell it was in pre-molt, the thing wasn't particularly sluggish from what I could see and I couldn't tell if the abdomen ever got darker or not.

Christ I am so glad I didn't stress that thing to death. How long should I wait till I feed it post-molt?

Never stress over a non feeding T unless it looks like it's withering away. I've had an adult female G pulchripes go almost a year without eating.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Elmore got to run around the living room while I cleaned his habitat this past weekend. Mainly he just likes sitting in the front doorway and watching the world. I guess it's just like a huger version of the terrarium.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When I was a teen I always wanted a beardy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

When I was a teen I always wanted a beardy.

I was in a similar situation -- I had wanted a lizard for at least 10 or 12 years, which gave me plenty of time to research the different species and determine which would suit me the best, and I landed on beardies. I'd look at them every time I went into a pet store and think to myself "someday I'm just gonna have one." And finally the timing was right and I got Elmore, and he's been awesome. There's something about having a lizard that just rounds out my life very nicely, and I think waiting as long as I did makes me appreciate having him that much more.

So I would say to you that even if you're not at a good place in your life to get one right now, don't hesitate to get one when the situation does become right, because from my experience, you really don't realize how badly you needed one until you actually have one.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

So I would say to you that even if you're not at a good place in your life to get one right now, don't hesitate to get one when the situation does become right.

So if my wife divorces me, got it. :v:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Had the beardie out for some roaming in the apt yesterday and he managed to find/eat a balled up starburst wrapper thinking it was a berry. Definitely freaking out about this, any ideas of how to keep it from impacting? Looking at soft food and baths all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

mactheknife posted:

Had the beardie out for some roaming in the apt yesterday and he managed to find/eat a balled up starburst wrapper thinking it was a berry. Definitely freaking out about this, any ideas of how to keep it from impacting? Looking at soft food and baths all week.

I imagine that should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much.