Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So, what do I need to fake a 3 way setup. Say I replace a standard single switch with a zwave switch...it seems like I should be able to put another switch somewhere in a single gang box that only has power that will control the other switch and fake a 3 way setup.

Is there a purpose-made switch for this or can/should I just use a regular zwave switch, not hook anything up to the load side, and set up something in smartthings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thermopyle posted:

So, what do I need to fake a 3 way setup. Say I replace a standard single switch with a zwave switch...it seems like I should be able to put another switch somewhere in a single gang box that only has power that will control the other switch and fake a 3 way setup.

Is there a purpose-made switch for this or can/should I just use a regular zwave switch, not hook anything up to the load side, and set up something in smartthings?

Most zwave brands have that exact thing available, usually a bit cheaper than an actual load-controlling Switch.

http://www.gocontrol.com/detail.php?productId=25

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Sanity check, please.

I’ve got a Honeywell RTH9580WF thermostat, and I’m tired of Alexa not being able to change from heat to cool, and its own scheduling sucks. (App’s pretty good, though.)

Talk me out of getting an ecobee3 Lite and buying a couple of sensors rather than getting an ecobee4 (that I’ll immediately turn off its built in Alexa integration and just let me Echos run it).

Seems like the 3 has better hardware quality, I have a c-wire, and I don’t mind buying sensors a la carte given the lower price of the 3.

Rational reasons against this choice, such that I should choose the 4?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Tapedump posted:

Sanity check, please.

I’ve got a Honeywell RTH9580WF thermostat, and I’m tired of Alexa not being able to change from heat to cool, and its own scheduling sucks. (App’s pretty good, though.)

Talk me out of getting an ecobee3 Lite and buying a couple of sensors rather than getting an ecobee4 (that I’ll immediately turn off its built in Alexa integration and just let me Echos run it).

Seems like the 3 has better hardware quality, I have a c-wire, and I don’t mind buying sensors a la carte given the lower price of the 3.

The 4 is $40 off today because it's Alexa's birthday or something. I think if you consider the cost of the 3 plus buying a sensor it might be a wash.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Tapedump posted:

Sanity check, please.

Ive heard most people like the 3 vs the 4. I also got the 3 lite with 2 free sensors on a fathers day deal and love it.

Apparently the alexa in the 4 is super annoying and if you shut it off it has a constant red light (like when you mute an echo). Also given how much my living room dot and kitchen echo fight over who gets to respond throwing in another variable sounds awful.

Get the three. It does everything the 4 does without the drawbacks (assuming you already have full house alexa coverage which sounds like you do)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Oooh, the red-light disabled Alexa in the 4 could be a WAF problem.

Funny how this is the very day I'm strongly considering this, given the price cut of the 4.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just unlink Alexa, don't mute it.

You can still enable the Ecobee Alexa skill and control it from other Echo devices.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I bought a 3 lite this weekend and I really like it. Drawbacks of going that route over the 4 are the lack of built in Alexa, which you say doesn’t bother you. Also you don’t get the bundled sensors and it cannot control humidifier units at the furnace and I think it can’t do ventilators if you have those. Otherwise the basic performance is the same from what I understand.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you all for your input. I've gone with the 3 since I found a deal on sensors, and my old 1973 home only has a simple furnace and heat pump.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Tapedump posted:

Thank you all for your input. I've gone with the 3 since I found a deal on sensors, and my old 1973 home only has a simple furnace and heat pump.

Where did you find the sensor deal? I’m interested in picking one or two up.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
If I get an ecobee3, do I really need the room sensors for a 700 sqft apartment? I'm assuming not, but I just want to someone to confirm.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

MonkeyFit posted:

If I get an ecobee3, do I really need the room sensors for a 700 sqft apartment? I'm assuming not, but I just want to someone to confirm.

Depends on where your thermostat actually lives. For us it was important to have one in our babies room since the heat doesn’t distribute evenly throughout the house.

If your thermostat is on an outside wall it’s not a bad idea to put the additional sensor somewhere more central.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

If your thermostat is on an outside wall it’s not a bad idea to put the additional sensor somewhere more central.

It's pretty central. Thanks for the help.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is this the place to talk about security cameras too?

Somebody stole one of my parents' goats :confused: So they are asking me to put together a quote for security cameras. Are there any reasonably priced NVRs out there now that aren't unreliable buggy pieces of poo poo? Or should I just roll a PC with Blue Iris? Cloud based solutions are not an option due to lovely rural internet.

As for the cameras themselves, is HikVision still considered a reliable option?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Is this the place to talk about security cameras too?

Somebody stole one of my parents' goats :confused: So they are asking me to put together a quote for security cameras. Are there any reasonably priced NVRs out there now that aren't unreliable buggy pieces of poo poo? Or should I just roll a PC with Blue Iris? Cloud based solutions are not an option due to lovely rural internet.

As for the cameras themselves, is HikVision still considered a reliable option?

PC with Blue Iris. And Hik is a fine option as long as you understand that the cameras should be behind a firewall with no port forwarding or other direct exposure to the internet.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

And Hik is a fine option as long as you understand that the cameras should be behind a firewall with no port forwarding or other direct exposure to the internet.
Thanks for the security reminder. I'd most likely have them on their own POE switch connected directly to the NVR.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

housefly posted:

Where did you find the sensor deal? I’m interested in picking one or two up.
Sorry, local CL guy.. lucky find.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Thomamelas posted:

PC with Blue Iris. And Hik is a fine option as long as you understand that the cameras should be behind a firewall with no port forwarding or other direct exposure to the internet.
VPN access to the host for remote viewing would be okay, right? (Edgerouter Lite 3 with L2TP/IPSec)

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Tapedump posted:

VPN access to the host for remote viewing would be okay, right? (Edgerouter Lite 3 with L2TP/IPSec)

VPN access would work. Generally I prefer to isolate the cameras onto a separate network and then use the VMS for viewing.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Oh, indeed. No access to the Internet by the cameras themselves, you bet.. but the VMS made VPN-viewable.

Roger that.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ecobee4 is getting a firmware upgrade to support Alexa ESP.

I'm gonna give it a second shot I guess...

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

It works sort of. I️ was able to turn on my entertainment System and start up Spotify from the ecobee, but then it got mixed up. It started playing a different playlist than it showed on my phone, phone couldn’t control fire tv, echo dot stopped listening to commands like pause, and then ecobee Alexa couldn’t control firetv...I️ will turn it back off for a while, some bugs to work out it seems.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

So ESP works but the Alexa implementation is still trash. Got it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone having problems with Alexa and Smart Things scenes? I wonder if it may be related to assigning an echo to a group/room thing. My bedroom Dot no longer recognizes 'Good Night!' but when I look at Scenes in the app it's listed there. I'm so used that "Alexa, turn on Good Night" is the last thing I do that it's jarring.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Has anyone dabbled with building their own custom system with NodeRed?

I noticed it has Zwave ability, and can even work with Alexa using the same emulated Philips Hue bridge trick that Home Assistant takes advantage of.

The dashboard looks nice as well, and even looks much like Home Assistant.

I think I might start playing around with it and see what I can come up with.....

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I picked up two of Best Buy's Insignia brand wi-fi outlet plugs since they're on sale for $14.99 each. While I haven't tried them with HomeKit yet, they didn't require a hub and simply hooked into my wi-fi. Only took about five minutes to set up. The Insignia app is basic, but it has surprisingly fast response time (only a second of delay from click to on/off) and you're able to schedule the lights.

I'm actually thinking of buying a few more to have all the lamps in my apartment controllable since they work so fast.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-wi-fi-smart-plug-white/5529012.p?skuId=5529012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I want maybe 4 lights to turn on and off at random times during the day/night when I'm away. Can this be achieved easily? I have google home.

Also, it would be great if I could always control/check the current status of the lights at anytime through the internet.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Philips Hue can do this through the app, it lets you schedule it for certain days/times as well.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Philips Hue can do this through the app, it lets you schedule it for certain days/times as well.

So all the lights in my house are LED "daylight" (white) lights. I assume the hue lights can replicate this. Does my Google home act as the hub then or does the hue app connect directly to them?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

lol internet. posted:

So all the lights in my house are LED "daylight" (white) lights. I assume the hue lights can replicate this. Does my Google home act as the hub then or does the hue app connect directly to them?

No, you need a hue hub. The phone app and/or google home will connect to the hub, which will connect to individual bulbs.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

And Hik is a fine option as long as you understand that the cameras should be behind a firewall with no port forwarding or other direct exposure to the internet.
Okay... I didn't realize what a clusterfuck security camera supply chains are. The only direct to consumer vendor I can find that doesn't seem sketchy as gently caress is B&H, but they cost ~$100 more than I was expecting. Is there a cheaper supplier where I don't have to worry about bricking or getting a Chinese interface when updating firmware?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

CopperHound posted:

Okay... I didn't realize what a clusterfuck security camera supply chains are. The only direct to consumer vendor I can find that doesn't seem sketchy as gently caress is B&H, but they cost ~$100 more than I was expecting. Is there a cheaper supplier where I don't have to worry about bricking or getting a Chinese interface when updating firmware?

Hikvision cams are tricky (hacked firmware on Chinese market cams) but you can buy legit Dahua cams on aliexpress. I bought two from BEC technology/Empire technology (same guy, posts as EmpiretecAndy on IP camera forums. Ships DHL, haven’t had any issues.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

lol internet. posted:

You actually like the pure white bulbs? You don’t find them fatiguing?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

No, you need a hue hub. The phone app and/or google home will connect to the hub, which will connect to individual bulbs.

Great thanks! Any idea if Lutron system would do what I want? I wonder if the whole Hue thing might be an overkill. I want to essentially mimic someone at home if I'm not at home. (lights on and off random times.)

eddiewalker posted:

You actually like the pure white bulbs? You don’t find them fatiguing?

Not at all.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 12, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Are these lights with in wall switches or are they plug in lamps?

If they're lamps, you can just buy cheap timers that the lamps plug in to to shut them on and off.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

CopperHound posted:

They aren't the only one but some of it is that Hikvision generally sells to end users through partners that rebrand, like Swann. And B&H's pricing is slightly under the walk in price at ADI. If you don't want grey market, that's as cheap as you're going to get for Hikvision.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

If they're lamps, you can just buy cheap timers that the lamps plug in to to shut them on and off.

Even with the cheapest timers it seems like the Hue starter kit is the better deal.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Even with the cheapest timers it seems like the Hue starter kit is the better deal.

It just depends on how many lights he wants to do and how into automation he wants to get.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Thomamelas posted:

They aren't the only one but some of it is that Hikvision generally sells to end users through partners that rebrand, like Swann. And B&H's pricing is slightly under the walk in price at ADI. If you don't want grey market, that's as cheap as you're going to get for Hikvision.

Here's the best kept secret for indoor Hikvisions:

Order from Annke for $50 a pop. These take official Hik firmware, though they come with custom firmware.

Follow the instructions on post 18 to get these cameras updated with official Hik firmware with all security patches.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Thermopyle posted:

It just depends on how many lights he wants to do and how into automation he wants to get.

One room is a lightswitch room. The other room has a lightswitch but it controls a lamp through the outlet.

I really don't care that much about automation but I just want the cheapest method. I prefer not to have a set timer as I want the times different everyday instead of the same time everyday.