Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

botany posted:

turkey is not an enemy of the US, so no

Turks like to act like they're home when visting the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/928999549376528385

Woke Romney is on point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I am imagining fully woke Romney and it’s a beautiful thing.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You're never going to win an election, Mittens.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's gonna be the next senator from Utah probably

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not going to make a moral judgement here, but considering how Romney loves a sure thing, is this callout a sign that the rest of the party are turning away from Roy?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's not going to be a Democrat so a never-Trump Republican who hates open Nazis is probably the best you can get. Better than Hatch.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He'd be a lesser evil than Hatch probably maybe I hope please.

Just like we're all hoping Curtis is versus Chaffetz...

Also: anyone who thinks Handmaid's Tale is hyperbolic need only look to the official GOP response to allegations of child rape against one of their candidates.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

President Romney would have "if true"-ed.

The Phantom Ghost
Feb 28, 2007

hold on what kind of fighting robot is he again
As a lifelong Massachusetts resident who uses state funded Romneycare to help pay for meds and doctors appointments (which Romney hilariously tried to distance himself from in the election) I'll always be a little conflicted about that mormon idiot and the one time he gave insurance to poor people and was never forgiven by his party

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Your Taint posted:

I know the term is over used, but taking a bribe from a foreign govt to do something like that is LITERALLY treason, right?

Nah. Look up Abscam from the late 70s/early 80s. It was all about political favors to foreign entities for cash. No treason, but plenty of corruption. A bunch of sitting Congressmen ended up in jail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscam

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Phantom Ghost posted:

As a lifelong Massachusetts resident who uses state funded Romneycare to help pay for meds and doctors appointments (which Romney hilariously tried to distance himself from in the election) I'll always be a little conflicted about that mormon idiot and the one time he gave insurance to poor people and was never forgiven by his party

He didn't write it and he vetoed parts of it, which were overturned (supermajority.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

they have a big problem: they cant nominate anyone else

they made their primary bed and now they lie in it
Here in México, whenever election season comes a-knocking, the majority of candidates have a substitute ready for what-if scenarios. If Alabama is such an important "Vantage" point for republicans/conservatives, then why the hell wouldn't they have a substitute queued up?

Huh. Ok.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wark Say posted:

Here in México, whenever election season comes a-knocking, the majority of candidates have a substitute ready for what-if scenarios. If Alabama is such an important "Vantage" point for republicans/conservatives, then why the hell wouldn't they have a substitute queued up?

Huh. Ok.

Because the winner of the primaries is the One True Candidate and if they had a secondary then they would be admitting that their primary candidate had a flaw.

American politics is entirely based around idolation.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Reik posted:

Six Flags over Texas just announced that they're renaming their original wooden roller coaster the Judge Roy Scream to the Judge Roy Moore to make the ride more "kid friendly".

Also, it's the first amusement ride at Six Flags to have an age maximum. :shrug:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wark Say posted:

They legally can't. If you nominate a pedophile, that's on you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wark Say posted:

They are bound by Alabama law at this point; it's too close to the election for them to withdraw him or submit a new nominee. Practically, the ballots are already half-printed and absentees may have already voted.

The time to fight him with an alternate candidate was the primary which was some time ago, and they did try but failed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Huh. Ok.

A candidate dropping out or dying between being nominated and the election is extremely rare, and not worth the trouble of routinely naming an alternate. Parties have mechanisms in place to name one if and when the need arises.

There are state laws in Alabama that are complicating the situation, besides. Also, Alabama Republicans are amoral shitheads who will gladly back a child molester if he's got an R next to his name, so Moore isn't going anywhere, regardless.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Wark Say posted:

The party can substitute the candidate if its done far enough in advance. I think in Alabama it has to be a couple months or so. (not applicable for special elections though because they don't have a couple months between primary and general for this special election)

Once you get about a month from the election, its too late for practical reasons. People are already voting by absentee ballots. They are stuck with Moore.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Can a robot learn to love

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/Evan_McMullin/status/928775545676066816?s=17

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My coworker is listening to the local talk radio station (Omaha) in the next cube. Talk radio host is crying about all the powerful men in Hollywood losing their careers. He starts listing all of the sex scandals roiling the country and throws Bill Clinton into the list of sex scandals in this the year 2017, then offhandedly mentions "some judge or something in Alabama" and moves on. :allears:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Welcome to the Democratic Party.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

The party can substitute the candidate if its done far enough in advance. I think in Alabama it has to be a couple months or so. (not applicable for special elections though because they don't have a couple months between primary and general for this special election)

Once you get about a month from the election, its too late for practical reasons. People are already voting by absentee ballots. They are stuck with Moore.

Supposedly, if the Party itself withdraws it's nomination, it doesn't matter how many votes Moore gets, he can't win the election.

Fat chance, though, the party leaders are all circling the wagons... on horseback... with warpaint...because this is rank tribalism.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah the GOP was never meant to 'lead' anything and you know it muffin man.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/929009886305902592?s=17

Shame. :smug:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Office Pig posted:

Yeah the GOP was never meant to 'lead' anything and you know it muffin man.

Mormons from Utah are stuck in the 80's in more ways than one. They still believe Democrats and Republicans can come together and cut deals in congress.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Potato Salad posted:

The majority of Republican voters are browsing Facebook and Fox, looking for and building up little stockpiles of reasons why they do need to vote against the Democrat. Doesn't matter whether it's a picture of a soldier silhouetted against the sun with a message about are guns and troops and freedoms. Doesn't matter whether it's a friend sharing obvious fake news.

In my canvassing experience, this is well over 80% of Republicans, easily.

Hell, I just read a post from Free Republic that says "Moore is a nut, but he's our nut. He must win". These fuckers are broke brained idiots

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

Hell, I just read a post from Free Republic that says "Moore is a nut, but he's our nut. He must win". These fuckers are broke brained idiots

Ephebophiles and child molesters are just "nuts", you guys. They're kooky.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Phase 1: Win the elections
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit...?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

When Mitt Romney starts to make sense we're all hosed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/929004775902973953

WHAT

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's hilariously depressing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

dont even fink about it posted:

For a while it looked like Fox might reform at least mildly, but this is literally worse than ever.

In Fox news/Republican land there are three choices; Change, stay the same, or double down. Which one are they most noted for?

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Chilichimp posted:

Ephebophiles and child molesters are just "nuts", you guys. They're kooky.

https://twitter.com/HonoredSpirit/status/928696277126270977/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's nice to know what the Russian botworld thinks of the situation.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

I was losing my mind about all of these comments and telling my friend about it who calmly responded that it's never been about believing women or making up excuses to support your guy or whatever; it's that women do not matter. All of this is fundamentally coming from the same place to these men: women literally do not matter. Their pain doesn't matter, their stories don't matter, their lives don't matter, they don't matter.

Horrific.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Alter Ego posted:

When Mitt Romney starts to make sense we're all hosed.

Thanks for the sharp commentary.

I’m glad I get to see this exact post any time a conservative says anything with an ounce of humanity.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Office Pig posted:

Alabama Republicans have already come out defending, even championing child molestation, and the only R in the US senate who has expressly said he should go away and never come back is the dying old man with the heroic brain tumor. Moore ain’t going nowhere but up.

And then they wonder why everyone stereotypes them as kiddie fuckers and inbreeders

• Locked thread