Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When can we expect polls to start reflecting the news about Moore? About six days?
At this point, nobody should be surprised that GOP state legislators and county-level officials are insane assholes, what matters is what the public thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Teddybear posted:

We're all in that quantum state where we don't know how much this will hurt him. In most states this'd be the end and we'd be heading towards an easy victory, but everyone is being pretty fair when they mention that this is Alabama. He'll dip in the polls, surely, but by one or by thirty is the question.

Reminder to everyone, a not-insignificant percentage of Republican voters responded that the Billy Bush tapes made them MORE likely to vote for Trump.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Take this poo poo back to USPol.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

letthereberock posted:

Reminder to everyone, a not-insignificant percentage of Republican voters responded that the Billy Bush tapes made them MORE likely to vote for Trump.

Roy Moore isn't Trump. He doesn't have that same cult of personality.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Wooderson explains late 70s culture pretty well:
https://youtu.be/wknywxfcE5M

So does Jimmy Buffet (from Alabama) who has a song literally titled
"Please Take Your Drunken 15 Year Old Girlfriend Home"

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair, nobody has accused him of rape. All the stories from underage girls say he took them home when they asked. He's merely accused of sexual contact with a minor, which of course is indefensible in itself.

People will quibble on this point and use it to escape serious thought so it's worth being accurate.

It’s statutory rape because it’s below the age that someone can give consent. So yes technically it was without consent.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Yeah, I'm okay with this. Let's crucify Roy Moore.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair, nobody has accused him of rape. All the stories from underage girls say he took them home when they asked. He's merely accused of sexual contact with a minor, which of course is indefensible in itself.

People will quibble on this point and use it to escape serious thought so it's worth being accurate.

I thought the whole point of the age of consent law was that people below that age CAN'T consent?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Puerto Rico Status: Mega loving continues with no improvement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41929287

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ularg posted:

Okay shouldn't that be something to report? Don't you think Reddit as a company would be a lot more sensitive to this issue than any others. Hopefully get r/thedonald closed.

Also, I'm probably way late on this, but I love the highlight reel:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/928792093182398465

Nah, that's just standard republican senate bullshit. Remember a while back when people had to explain to Congress how global warming raises water levels?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Conservatives are all "innocent until proven guilty" for Weinstein/Moore. Not so much for Kevin Spacey :thunk:

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 10, 2017

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

letthereberock posted:

I find it hilarious that Billy Bush got fired over it and Trump became president.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

These people have no shame.
Your brother molested a girl that was 14 you sick gently caress.

Seriously to campaign against him just plaster images of average 14 year old high school girls and put "Roy Moore is attracted to this" everywhere. Let them defend it when it is someone's daughter they can see.

Morally bankrupt pieces of poo poo.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 10, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

Yeah, I'm okay with this. Let's crucify Roy Moore.

And bury his rear end in a cave with a boulder in front of it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Pakled posted:

When can we expect polls to start reflecting the news about Moore? About six days?
At this point, nobody should be surprised that GOP state legislators and county-level officials are insane assholes, what matters is what the public thinks.

The AL-SEN election hasn't been heavily polled up until now. I suspect that'll change but any new polls might take about a week to get out since I don't know if there were even any queued up.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Remember that part of the Bible where Jesus was accused of being a child molester? I, erm, wait- *checks notes* hmm well

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dejawesp posted:

Conservatives are all "innocent until proven guilty" for Weinstein. Not so much for Kevin Spacey :thunk:

The NYT article about Louis CK hadn't even dropped yesterday (I still dunno if it has) and a conservative hit me up on how much he hated him.

I later brought up the Moore article from WaPo and you can guess what his opinion about the publication were.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

The NYT article about Louis CK hadn't even dropped yesterday (I still dunno if it has) and a conservative hit me up on how much he hated him.

It did and apparently Louis CK was abusing so many people that when he called one of them to apologize he apologized for the wrong assault.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Phoix posted:

It did and apparently Louis CK was abusing so many people that when he called one of them to apologize he apologized for the wrong assault.

This is not surprising. His comedy is centered entirely around being offensive for offensiveness’s sake. He’s not a good person and goddamn do I love seeing him get nailed against the wall for his terrible crap.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pakled posted:

Probably Monday. Polls often like to sample Friday-Sunday when its easier to reach everyone.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

oohhboy posted:

Puerto Rico Status: MAGA loving continues with no improvement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41929287

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Pollyanna posted:

This is not surprising. His comedy is centered entirely around being offensive for offensiveness’s sake. He’s not a good person and goddamn do I love seeing him get nailed against the wall for his terrible crap.

Sounds like a stand up kind of guy :downsrim:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TulliusCicero posted:

These people have no shame.
Your brother molested a girl that was 14 you sick gently caress.

Seriously to campaign against him just plaster images of average 14 year old high school girls and put "Roy Moore is attracted to this" everywhere. Let them defend it when it is someone's daughter they can see.

Morally bankrupt pieces of poo poo.

Are there any unsavory left leaning PACs that will that kind of poo poo?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

I'm not defending him here but this is not what his comedy is centered around, at all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah his comedy is all centered around "Human beings are terrible, especially men" to which we can now add the parenthetical (I speak from personal experience of doing terrible things)

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is how cults get started

Too late. Evangelicals already exist.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Pollyanna posted:

He's definitely more nuanced than that, which is why some of his jokes have been called feminist. That said, his poo poo is definitely hit or miss. Some jokes pay off. Others depend entirely upon a racist or sexist punchline with no real underlying point. I liked some of his earlier stuff so a friend bought us tickets to see him last year. He made a lot of incredibly lazy jokes that punched downward and was overall a total loving bummer. That live audience also confirmed to me that a lot of his fans are in it for the bigoted setups and not so much for the times where Louis is using transgressive comedy to make a progressive point (although whether or not to hold *that* against him is up for debate).

Dude's a piece of poo poo, though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Pursuant to the discussion of men in power being creeps, I find this onion article to be especially on point.

https://local.theonion.com/intern-just-happens-to-be-beautiful-22-year-old-woman-1819574201

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wonder how long it will take for people to remember Jerry Seinfield dated a 16 year old girl when he was in his mid 30s

http://defamer.gawker.com/remember-when-38-year-old-jerry-seinfeld-dated-a-17-yea-1714153938

Old article, she was 16 when they met I believe

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Well gently caress. I love his stuff. Why can't I have nice things. Jim Carrey, Clint Eastwood, Jason Lee, Louis CK. Everybody is hosed up.

If The Rock is next then I'm giving up on this planet. Just send the meteors. We have nothing to salvage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dejawesp posted:

Well gently caress. I love his stuff. Why can't I have nice things. Jim Carrey, Clint Eastwood, Jason Lee, Louis CK. Everybody is hosed up.

If The Rock is next then I'm giving up on this planet. Just send the meteors. We have nothing to salvage.

The Rock is a registered Republican in 2017.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Still, McMullin would not vote for Doug Jones. Wake me up when he endorses him.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

DrNutt posted:

The Rock is a registered Republican in 2017.

Yes but that's because he aspires to be president and the republicans are the ones most likely to pick him as candidate. He's going to run on the ticket that Arnold couldn't due to being foreign born.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

Still, McMullin would not vote for Doug Jones. Wake me up when he endorses him.

Same. Until an official Luther Strange write-in campaign launches, not a single republican opinion matters until it becomes "Vote for the democrat".

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pakled posted:

Yeah I think about a week is where you can gauge what the effect on public sentiment is.

But I have some bad news. Those GOP officials are in place in Alabama because of the people who voted them in.

My full expectation is that the huge majority will just dig in harder, just like with Trump. They will never read a detailed article like the WaPo one, and they will flat out disbelieve any accounts about it just like with Trump.

So the only real issue is, does Moore bleed off a little support and bleed off a little turnout because of this? I'd think so, and the real detail is, how much, and how close was the race before this, was it close enough for the little bleed off to make it a real race?

I just contributed to Doug Jones. I don't have a high expectation that he will win but I certainly hope he can make a go of it, and if Moore wins I hope he can be another member of Trump and his Legion of Doom that can help motivate Dems across the country to turn out next year.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
I like Conan O'Brien. Is he, uh... clean?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

I like Conan O'Brien. Is he, uh... clean?

yeah he's fine

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zwabu posted:

Yeah I think about a week is where you can gauge what the effect on public sentiment is.

But I have some bad news. Those GOP officials are in place in Alabama because of the people who voted them in.

My full expectation is that the huge majority will just dig in harder, just like with Trump. They will never read a detailed article like the WaPo one, and they will flat out disbelieve any accounts about it just like with Trump.

So the only real issue is, does Moore bleed off a little support and bleed off a little turnout because of this? I'd think so, and the real detail is, how much, and how close was the race before this, was it close enough for the little bleed off to make it a real race?

I just contributed to Doug Jones. I don't have a high expectation that he will win but I certainly hope he can make a go of it, and if Moore wins I hope he can be another member of Trump and his Legion of Doom that can help motivate Dems across the country to turn out next year.

There's also poo poo like this:
https://twitter.com/djlavoie/status/929023313564913668

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dejawesp posted:

What did Jim Carrey do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Same. Until an official Luther Strange write-in campaign launches, not a single republican opinion matters until it becomes "Vote for the democrat".

"Vote for neither" is the best you could reasonably hope for and it's pretty unbelievable we haven't even seen that.

• Locked thread