Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

trump loves this part of the job he's basically in what he probably thinks is an asian themed amusement park and he gets to feel appreciated and important without having to do any real work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ok so i lied and only watched the first 20 minutes of that video but in the last two they start making "i identify as an attack helicopter" jokes and claim americans never tell people to leave their country if they don't like it. so now i'm glad they don't feel welcome here

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Folks, America and Britain? They're not sending us their best.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Yandat posted:

trump loves this part of the job he's basically in what he probably thinks is an asian themed amusement park and he gets to feel appreciated and important without having to do any real work

Hell same

International Trump is best Trump

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the other thing they don't seem to get, based on how much they harp on wanting to assimilate and wanting to "become chinese" is: that doesn't happen anywhere and believing you, the exceptional individual, can change this is itself a form of chauvinism.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it does actually happen in america though

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Chinese people are extremely xenophobic, also see: Korea, Japan, most Asian countries to my knowledge?
From my exp though it's mostly the old people though, unless you're a brown Asian, then everyone will be racist to you

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also maybe australia

basically in any new-world colonies, I'd argue it's very possible, with some obviously more than others

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

it does actually happen in america though

lol

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
western countries are actually good on some things, better than places like china even, and one of those things is actually xenophobia, believe it or not

and I know that's heresy for you, because for you, west == evil, but it's still true

you can legitimately 'become american', in the eyes of the majority of americans, if you adopt american behavioral norms. the same absolutely is not true of china, or japan, or whatever

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
America is racist in a different, more domestic way, like a conservative would probably have a lot more "respect" for an immigrant from Ghana then a black guy from East phoenix or south Detroit.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

really can't wait to become a full legal citizen of china so i can live there forever and die of lung cancer at the tender age of 55

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What did the outside world ever do to China anyway?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it’s me i’m all of the non-ethnically chinese on china’s olympic team, just like how all those western countries do it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What did the outside world ever do to China anyway?

Had a real good go at destroying face culture but failed anyway

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
even if the US had been subject to a large scale invasion by mexico, that still wouldn't justify prejudice against mexicans

the real issue here is that many leftists often refuse to either acknowledge the existence of, or treat with any seriousness, xenophobia and racism when expressed by any non-developed countries, because it runs counter to the easy narrative used to justify white guilt or whatever, and for fears that such admissions would be used to itself justify prejudice

take home ex's reply:

R. Guyovich posted:

the other thing they don't seem to get, based on how much they harp on wanting to assimilate and wanting to "become chinese" is: that doesn't happen anywhere and believing you, the exceptional individual, can change this is itself a form of chauvinism.
imagine if this had been said about some hispanic immigrants to the US, talking about how they've never been accepted or whatever - would the reply of home ex here still be the same 'well actually that's chauvinism'? Nope, he'd do a 180, and use that to condemn the US. but now that we're talking about china, suddenly those standards don't apply, and actually, it's chauvinism to try and gain acceptance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe home ex is a massive fan of China's education system teaching rote learning instead of critical thinking since you just put more thought into it than he ever has

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

even if the US had been subject to a large scale invasion by mexico, that still wouldn't justify prejudice against mexicans

the real issue here is that many leftists often refuse to either acknowledge the existence of, or treat with any seriousness, xenophobia and racism when expressed by any non-developed countries, because it runs counter to the easy narrative used to justify white guilt or whatever, and for fears that such admissions would be used to itself justify prejudice

Rudatron is in extremely bad take mode today, I see.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's not just home ex, or anything particular to him, and I don't want it to seem like i'm picking on him, as an individual. Pener's reply is sort of in the same vain, but it's a much broader issue

whenever it comes to issues in the west, that's the west's fault, but any issues outside the west...that's also the west's fault, or it's somehow not a problem and a result of different cultural standards (bullshit), or it's eurocentric or chauvanistic to point out the problem, because you're tying to impose your standards on them, so that's basically colonialism, and blah blah blah.

basically, moral responsibility is shifted and distributed not according to any consistent system, but according to ideological/political utility. To admit that issues like racism and xenophobia are not merely present, but worse, and domestically caused, in places like china, would be to undermine the entire set of 'woke' ideology, that these problems are somehow specific to the west, and a result of particular western values, or imperialism, or whatever.

HomeEx and pener (and of course, many others, not just on this site, but broadly), as adherents of that ideology, can't ever admit anything that contradiction, so the 'nexus of blame' is shifted, from china, to 'arrogant/chauvinistic expats', in a way that they wouldn't ever accept were it done for the US

but why? and not just on this issue, but more generally: why does it always seem, that people find it easier to tack-on ad-hoc bullshit, before they ever identify and accept the contradictions? The answer I've come to is: vulnerability. No one wants to just put their loving cards on the table, because that's granting someone else power. So you create these elaborate + stupid rhetorical rube goldberg machines, to try and hide everything, to retroactively justify whatever you said, just to save face.

but the brain doesn't have great short term memory, so eventually you forget the reason why you built these mental contraptions in the first place, and you start believing your own bullshit.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Nov 10, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm not reading that, lol.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

then shut the gently caress up already

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

For someone who frequently posts long tedious bullshit this is a bit much

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barbe Rouge posted:

then shut the gently caress up already

Sorry for not entertaining a Chinese Are The Real Racists discussion, because my white guilt refuses to accept that non-Europeans are problematic.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I know you won't read it.

And you knew I had to post it.

that is the tao of this thread

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sorry for not entertaining a Chinese Are The Real Racists discussion

lol, he didn't say that at all

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

I know you won't read it.

And you knew I had to post it.

that is the tao of this thread

I maintain nonetheless that yin-yang dualism can be overcome. With sufficient enlightenment we can give substance to any distinction: mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Remember, enlightenment is a function of willpower, not of physical strength.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ace of Baes posted:

Chinese people are extremely xenophobic, also see: Korea, Japan, most Asian countries to my knowledge?
From my exp though it's mostly the old people though, unless you're a brown Asian, then everyone will be racist to you

china is racist as gently caress when I was back in my china and talking to my cousins they were flat out like I hate muslims

it's kinda masked because ethnic minorities are so small and concentrated in fringe areas of the country that you can go through half your life in China and only talk to other ethnic han so the racist and xenophobia is also a lot more abstract than america

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The uyghur's aren't having a good time of it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Jose posted:

The uyghur's aren't having a good time of it

china is literally running the equivalent of palestine in xinjiang where they flooded the province with ethnic chinese settlers until the uyghur are a minority in their own homeland

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They talked about the current state of Uighur-Han relations on the new Radio War Nerd with Carl Zha. Apparently Uighurs like to tell jokes and play pranks, and those have been the basis of social media rumors that end up turning into pogroms.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

oh no, reasonable and argumentative posts that run counter my ideological presets, quick, refuse to engage

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What, exactly, does the nerve stapling procedure entail? I never read the lore

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tias posted:

I don't remember the game ever going into specifics, actually. Leaving it to the imagination is probably a better approach anyway.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finished a game as Miriam. Planet turned into a race between my armies and implacably rising seas to claim the remaining few isolated Spartan bases. The last remnants of humanity live in a demented mashup of Waterworld and A Handmaid's Tale.

Paradox needs to remake this game.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Tias posted:

like the brainwashing scene from 'a clockwork orange' but with dem thread posts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't remember the game ever going into specifics, actually. Leaving it to the imagination is probably a better approach anyway.

similarly they never go into what exactly goes on inside of the punishment sphere, just that the outside is translucent so your loved ones can watch

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

like the brainwashing scene from 'a clockwork orange' but with dem thread posts

No wonder it's considered an automatic atrocity.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it’s weird that the punishment sphere isn’t an atrocity if you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
maybe it has a gentle setting, kinda like a washing machine