Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also don't forget that Burst Mode has its own 20% buff that stacks with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Prism posted:

With the tips here and from the discord channel, I did indeed beat the 300 torment for Nova Dragon - my first complete 300, and with the last few Dexterity motes I needed to fully dive Bartz.

Thanks!

Congrats! I shredded the 200 but I haven’t yet taken the plunge into the deep end to try 250/300. I should give it a shot, I have Bartz half done his dive.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have Noctis's USB and BSB, but not his dualcast LMR. Would that be worth diving? The alternative right now would be Tidus with USB.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BGrifter posted:

Congrats! I shredded the 200 but I haven’t yet taken the plunge into the deep end to try 250/300. I should give it a shot, I have Bartz half done his dive.

Here's how I did it, if you're interested. Nobody in this group has any legend dive except for Y'shtola who is fully dived, but I had some good relics. I did not do the CM variant (well, I got one FF9 character in, I guess).

Y'shtola: She had Curada and her BSB, and never needed to do anything else.
Zidane: His USB was great here for the imperil; that said, the 300 is not naturally weak to wind, unlike the others, so pretty much any physical attacker can go here. But hey, FF9 synergy. I used Thief's Revenge on him and his USB katana for synergy; Dash & Slash is also an option but I didn't have a good synergy knife, and the massive ATK difference convinced me. It might be different if you have +wind armour, but I don't.
Rikku: USB, Multi Break, and Tempest Snipe. She didn't do much damage (Tempest Snipe chipped in) but her USB was vital.
Ramza: Shout, Magic Breakdown, and... Mana Paean. Yep. This is because of...
Alphinaud: BSB and Bahamut (not Neo Bahamut) as I don't have any better summons (his other ability was Valefor but I ended up not using it). He definitely needs the 20% dualcast summon RM on. His BSB is great for this, and as an added bonus got to use the wind imperils from Zidane USB. Summons don't trigger any of Nova Dragon's counters, so stick with them over putting Meltdown in his other slot, since that'll get you Wing Galed.

RW: Wall. You could bring Wall native and RW Rikku USB if you want though, it honestly wouldn't make a difference.

Everyone was in the back row except Zidane, who had the Memento Ring equipped (and was never hit by Ultimate Twister). Rikku had a gun and Ramza had an instrument. This wasn't the best way to get things done, but it worked.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 9, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I have Noctis's USB and BSB, but not his dualcast LMR. Would that be worth diving? The alternative right now would be Tidus with USB.

I vote for Tidus. Noctis' DPS is limited by his non-elemental nature, plus his best SB is arguably his insta-cast SSB.

Tidus can carry your water team (and allegedly is one of the strongest USBs in the game with the ability buff at the end of the month). However, as with all legend dives, I think you should ask yourself what the tangible goal you expect to reach with the dive, IE if you're already sub-30 Liquid Flame without a Tidus dive, do you need it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

I vote for Tidus. Noctis' DPS is limited by his non-elemental nature, plus his best SB is arguably his insta-cast SSB.

Tidus can carry your water team (and allegedly is one of the strongest USBs in the game with the ability buff at the end of the month). However, as with all legend dives, I think you should ask yourself what the tangible goal you expect to reach with the dive, IE if you're already sub-30 Liquid Flame without a Tidus dive, do you need it?

I'm pretty close to sub-30 without the dive, but at the same time I already have all the 3* fire magicite at 80+ and I'm not really hurting for fire orbs. Diving Noctis would probably be just as good for that since my only other decent water dps is Yuffie with BSB. Noctis would also have more general use.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty close to sub-30 without the dive, but at the same time I already have all the 3* fire magicite at 80+ and I'm not really hurting for fire orbs. Diving Noctis would probably be just as good for that since my only other decent water dps is Yuffie with BSB. Noctis would also have more general use.

I change my vote to neither. I don't think you dive until you have a real need. These are valuable motes you'll take away from other characters you'll potentially get better relics from.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's a pretty good point. I definitely have a few dives that I'm really regretting now (Celes, Ramza).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Currently I have lightning, noctis, agrias, yshtola, raines half dived. Only one I'm regretting is agrias tbh. I have noctis usb/bsb/ssb, agrias bsb/ssb1/ssb2, yshtola bsb/wall, raines bsb/ssb, Lightning usb/osb/ssb.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've only dived Raines (2 SSBs, BSB), Cloud (bunch of poo poo plus USB) and Bartz (BSB1, 2, LMA and USB), no ragrets so far. The majority of my "top-tier" relics are on characters with kind of lovely dives right now so I'm just hoping to clean up on Tidus X banner or something soon. Shantotto's probably my top candidate, but I don't think I really need it yet.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The only dive I sorta regret is Celes, especially since it's completely useless in JS and whatever those upcoming no-SB fights are, but she is the reason I've been able to farm Sealion and Fenrir so maybe that makes up for it, I dunno.

I assume 5* motes are going to eventually start raining from the sky like 3 and 4* did, so I'm not going to beat myself up over a potentially bad dive.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When did 4* motes start raining from the sky?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
yeah show me where the 4* wisdom motes are raining from. i want to go there

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The only dive I sorta regret is Celes, especially since it's completely useless in JS and whatever those upcoming no-SB fights are, but she is the reason I've been able to farm Sealion and Fenrir so maybe that makes up for it, I dunno.

I assume 5* motes are going to eventually start raining from the sky like 3 and 4* did, so I'm not going to beat myself up over a potentially bad dive.
What? My motto since Cloud USB came out has been "Celes Murders Everything".

She's 100% worth diving if you have her LMR for all the spellsword damage bonuses and stat boosts. Cloud USB and an elemental weakness (esp wind or ice due to snowspell strike) yields obscene damage totals. It's not bartz with USB and poo poo tier, but man it's still really really good.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Need some acronym help

USB
BSB
LMR

I just passed Diabolos in realm and still have no idea wtf I am doing. Running Sephiroth, Cloud, Lightning, Jecht and Rikku currently for no specific reason. Everyone but Rikku one shots what I am encountering.

The half priced dungeon has really been helping progression.

hagie fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 9, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

hagie posted:

Need some acronym help

USB
BSB
LMR

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793623&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post465127740

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

hagie posted:

Need some acronym help

USB
BSB
LMR

USB = Ultra Soul Break: These often have a huge amount of utility attached to them and the strengths are less about damage and more about what extra effects they have.

BSB = Burst Soul Break: These soul breaks throw a character into a Burst Mode after use which gives them haste + stat boosts and replaces Attack & Defend with unique commands.

LMR = Legend Materia Relic: Grants a unique legend materia to a character including a mastery bonus just like SBs.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

YoshiOfYellow posted:

USB = Ultra Soul Break: These often have a huge amount of utility attached to them and the strengths are less about damage and more about what extra effects they have.

BSB = Burst Soul Break: These soul breaks throw a character into a Burst Mode after use which gives them haste + stat boosts and replaces Attack & Defend with unique commands.

LMR = Legend Materia Relic: Grants a unique legend materia to a character including a mastery bonus just like SBs.

Thanks for the spell out. The OP is a wealth of information but gently caress if it doesn’t take forever to find specific things when phone lurking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's also OSB, Overstrike Soul Break. They do one hit that breaks the quad-9 damage cap, usually with some boost. Vary in desirability compared to BSB, depending on what the particular ones give in addition to damage/synergies and whether you need damage right now or sustained.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Pander posted:

What? My motto since Cloud USB came out has been "Celes Murders Everything".

She's 100% worth diving if you have her LMR for all the spellsword damage bonuses and stat boosts. Cloud USB and an elemental weakness (esp wind or ice due to snowspell strike) yields obscene damage totals. It's not bartz with USB and poo poo tier, but man it's still really really good.

Well "if you have her LMR" is a pretty big qualifier, I think. She's definitely still useful but her damage is nothing compared to Bartz double-casting SSS, for me.

Fister Roboto posted:

When did 4* motes start raining from the sky?

:shrug: I've fully dived pretty much everyone I use with any frequency at all and I still have plenty left.

fake edit: Just checked and I've got 16 people fully dived and like another 10 or so with at least 1 full 4* branch. Maybe that's not "raining from the sky" but it's definitely at the point where I'm not being super cautious about it anymore - if I have great relics for someone and I use them often enough that it makes a difference, I dive 'em.

Granted that's walled behind stuff like being able to do all the MP battles, which I definitely think is lame as hell.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 9, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the double casters are kings of damage dealing

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
I forgot I pulled Exdeath's USBs around the last fest; started using him for the Holy magicite and drat I really should start using it more. The stacking +Mind with Edward's USB, my Vanille was doing over 9k heal when casting her BSB and almost 3k on the AOE heal command. It's especially useful for that Holy magicite with all those ST holy casts. Along with Raines and Nabaat BSBs, not sure why I can't sub-30 that one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On my wishlist: I wish you could queue up abilities during an attack cutscene. The number of times I've gone to poke a button only to have it disappear because Iris wants to throw some moogles around...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Philouza posted:

I forgot I pulled Exdeath's USBs around the last fest; started using him for the Holy magicite and drat I really should start using it more. The stacking +Mind with Edward's USB, my Vanille was doing over 9k heal when casting her BSB and almost 3k on the AOE heal command. It's especially useful for that Holy magicite with all those ST holy casts. Along with Raines and Nabaat BSBs, not sure why I can't sub-30 that one.

I guarantee you that the mist form is part of the reason. Mist Dragon requires front-loaded burst damage in same way Shadow Dragon does, but no matter how good you're doing, unless you've got some crazy-rear end chaser action going on, at about 16s into the fight you're going to be sitting and twiddling your thumbs for about two seconds. I think you need to drop it to like 40% before that to avoid it.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

YES!

First Torment down, and I managed to cobble together a 3-man FFX party for the Cid Mission as well!

As always, Cloud RW saved the day. I was getting 30k Sapphire Shots with 5000x6 chasers. Cloud USB wore off on Tidus, so I cleaned up with Auron.

Worked out pretty well! Was about a turn away from dying though, whoops.

e: Wakka's BSB actually came in real handy, so thanks LD!

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 10, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

KataraniSword posted:

I guarantee you that the mist form is part of the reason. Mist Dragon requires front-loaded burst damage in same way Shadow Dragon does, but no matter how good you're doing, unless you've got some crazy-rear end chaser action going on, at about 16s into the fight you're going to be sitting and twiddling your thumbs for about two seconds. I think you need to drop it to like 40% before that to avoid it.

Unless you can kill Mist Dragon in under 24 seconds with much of that front loaded, you're going to get a mist form. When she changes depends on which phase she's in (based on HP%) but counts from total actions in the whole fight. Above 70% it's at ~15 seconds, 70%-40% ~20 seconds, under 40% ~25 seconds.

So yeah, your best bet is just know when she's gonna change, and hold your load, take a deep breath, and prepare to unload on her when she changes back. If you start casting an unmodified SB when she is in mist form, she'll have left by the time you finish.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ZiegeDame posted:

Unless you can kill Mist Dragon in under 24 seconds with much of that front loaded, you're going to get a mist form. When she changes depends on which phase she's in (based on HP%) but counts from total actions in the whole fight. Above 70% it's at ~15 seconds, 70%-40% ~20 seconds, under 40% ~25 seconds.

So yeah, your best bet is just know when she's gonna change, and hold your load, take a deep breath, and prepare to unload on her when she changes back. If you start casting an unmodified SB when she is in mist form, she'll have left by the time you finish.

In other words, be careful not to have a Mist Opportunity. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pulled Sephiroth's Ultra. I guess that'll be handy if I ever need to deal with dark-vuln enemies. And it's Empowered Darkness, which I don't have anything else to take advantage of but is probably exploitable with the right stuff. I kinda go cross-eyed trying to account for the math, I'm still in the "hit it very hard" stage of things.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
I️ pulled Aerith’s BSB which seems pretty good since I️ don’t have much in the ways of healer soul breaks l

Also got an LMR for sephiroth too bad I didn’t get any actual soul breaks for him

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Man, I got really exciting hoping I had gotten a thing got my good doge friend but it was Sephiroth's Metal Gear Rising katana. That's cool tool, it's got lots of potential. Too bad I don't have any of his other EnDark tools.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Man, I got really exciting hoping I had gotten a thing got my good doge friend but it was Sephiroth's Metal Gear Rising katana. That's cool tool, it's got lots of potential. Too bad I don't have any of his other EnDark tools.

Since there seems to be some confusion regarding the USB meta here's a handy guide to How to Play the Game Right Now:

1. You cast your damage dealer USB
2. You use abilities corresponding the strengths granted by your USB such as darkness multihits in Sephiroth's case
3. Repeat from step 1.

You can just endark stack with his own USB just fine. Or rather it's the hands down best thing to do it with.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Since there seems to be some confusion regarding the USB meta here's a handy guide to How to Play the Game Right Now:

2. You use abilities corresponding the strengths granted by your USB such as darkness multihits in Sephiroth's case
3. Repeat from step 1.

You can just endark stack with his own USB just fine. Or rather it's the hands down best thing to do it with.

Yeah, it's more convenient and less orb intensive if you have an appropriate BSB to go with them but there's only a couple of them that essentially require the character's BSB. And in most cases that's just because it does things that aren't yet available in a pair of Abilities.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

3. Repeat from step 1.

Yeah that's fair. I guess in reality my mind was mostly on his LMR for Auto-EnDark, which would really rocket the USB. The only problem ahead now is Dark Orbs. 8'D

In other news I did another single and got Shelke's SSB. It's uh... definitely pretty rad but it's extremely niche to the point that it's almost not rad. AoE Dispel + Esunaga + High Regen is a very specific usage case of a thing. Synergy gloves though!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Plase halp Lilu Dallas multi-pass

Here's my Golem team:

Fujin has enWind SSB and BSB
OK has BSB
Edge has USB and Last Stand SSB
Raines is full LD with BSB
Y'shtola is full LD with BSB

Fujin has my only interrupt resist accessory. Everyone else has earth resist

I'm still getting wrecked by Savage Earth Shaker and interruptions. It's really hard to keep up with his damage output and I honestly have no idea how to maximize my own dps. My original strat was just Wrath 2 bars with Fujin then enWind then BSB and go crazy but I was told that's too slow. I'm really not sure who is supposed to do what here and I don't know if it's even worth stacking mag buffs with OK and Raines. I definitely need OK BSB for hastega but other than that I really don't have a solid plan.

Any advice?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I got Shelke's from last month's SSB only half price pull.

The actual relic is good. Its attack stat of 31 is incredibly high for an armor piece.

For the SB maybe you can use it vs Mandragoras or something

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
more raging winds

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Using Enkidu as your main magicite might help give you an additional buffer. Do you have other options besides Fenrir? A Magicite with a Defense/Resistance boon might give you the better defenses you'll need.

Another option would be to drop Raines for another healer (depending on who you have). If you don't have any healers with a MAG-boosting SB, Tyro/Larsa is an option to Entrust bars to Fujin while using their second slot to heal. Onion Knight can also backup heal instead of running Gust.

If Edge isn't capping damage with his Ninja skills, considering swapping out his RM for his +40% damage RM; Ninja skills are so fast that Gathering Storm has a diminishing effect.

One note is that if you can feed Fujin bars, Zan is a better DPS option than going into Metsu; Golem will hardly feel the RES debuffs and Zan has stronger multipliers.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 10, 2017

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Before I got Larsa, I had success with Affliction Break. Any chance you could throw that on Onion Knight?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mblinks are also really good for magicite bosses, especially ones that apply a status or imperil. Golem always does savage earth shaker on its 6th and 16th turns, so having an mblink up for those is really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

Plase halp Lilu Dallas multi-pass

Here's my Golem team:

Fujin has enWind SSB and BSB
OK has BSB
Edge has USB and Last Stand SSB
Raines is full LD with BSB
Y'shtola is full LD with BSB

Fujin has my only interrupt resist accessory. Everyone else has earth resist

I'm still getting wrecked by Savage Earth Shaker and interruptions. It's really hard to keep up with his damage output and I honestly have no idea how to maximize my own dps. My original strat was just Wrath 2 bars with Fujin then enWind then BSB and go crazy but I was told that's too slow. I'm really not sure who is supposed to do what here and I don't know if it's even worth stacking mag buffs with OK and Raines. I definitely need OK BSB for hastega but other than that I really don't have a solid plan.

Any advice?

Enkidu as your main magicite for an oh-poo poo button, and make / hone at least 1 more copy of Raging Wind and Gust. Both of those are going to be doing more damage than Fujin's BSB commands unless you have absurdly high magic / a full dive on her. With magic gear and OK's BSB you are probably going to be hitting the damage cap on ninja abilities anyway, or really close, so Raines isn't strictly necessary if you've got something more useful. Thunder God's Might isn't really that good on Edge unless you're already capping damage with him. I'd probably move the interrupt resist to Yshtola, your healer getting interrupted at a bad moment is way more likely to gently caress over your run, and her instant CM1 is really helpful if someone gets slammed with a bunch of cave-ins in a row or something.

Beating Golem with ninja magic is by far the fastest / easiest method, but it requires a shitload of hones and it will eat up your stash of major dark orbs very quickly.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 10, 2017

• Locked thread