Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I love it when people cite the TOS as a reason why you're not entitled to anything. "You signed the TOS so you knew the rules before you gave Chris money!!"

Yeah, well, the TOS I signed explicitly said if they didn't make a game by like 2014 (lol) I could have my money back. Actually, that's probably the TOS most people signed.

e: I realize that Reddit post is even more insane than just "you're not entitled to a refund" but that's what always pops into my mind when I see poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

The primary issue holding Star Citizen back, in my mind, is not related to technology per se.

You can write a 900-page blog about how it's impossible or extraordinarily difficult. (Note to self: somebody might have already written one, I have to look into that.)

We can watch their horrific development practices and constant missteps all day and show that each one, by itself, stops Star Citizen from coming out, much less considering all the mistakes in aggregate.

But none of that matters. The primary issue that keeps Star Citizen from releasing is that their monetization scheme runs in 100% opposition to releasing a game, or even fixing what they have.

Many things need to be gutted to the core and either reworked or rebuilt from the ground up, but that can't happen because it must be 3.0, then 3.1, etc. The backers must continue to see numbers go up, and iterations of the current build continuing apace, or the funding is threatened.

The entire flight model needs reworking, before the finalized pretty models are put in, but that can't happen, because the finished models are what they're selling - not the game.

They're selling finalized game assets and the illusion of progress, and that decision doomed the game. Any course correction at this point threatens to sink the incoming funds, and then it's truly over.

That is the true E.L.E. - the point of no return they reached at some point in the last couple years when they had the chance to go back and do it right, and chose instead to forge ahead with a broken system. Now that the funding and the development efforts are fully opposed, it's only a matter of time before they collide.

:perfect:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record. This was the entire point of my E.L.E

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/ circa 04/2016

quote:

To the extent that this project happens to currently boast the 4th largest game dev budget in history. And five years and $112M later, they haven’t delivered anything that resembles the game promised. And we’re keeping track. As of this writing, going by the pledge promises, not even 10% of the project has been delivered to backers. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, with the crowd-funding drying up, and with a monthly burn rate rumored to be in the region of $3m (!) per month, they’re now focusing on more ways of making money; rather than building the core game play elements of the game. This time, in the form of in-game items shoe-horned into an instanced tech demo (aka PU) that is as persistent as a hobo with Alzheimer. A “game” which, btw they can’t even get more than 12 (!) clients into any instance, without severe problems, and the server coughing up moth balls.

In fact, less than two weeks ago, Chris himself confirmed – again – that the networking layer needed to be redone. Transcript of that segment. And that he can’t find qualified networking and physics engineers to hire for the project. That’s the start of his pattern of making excuses for failures. And he’s done that all before; it’s no secret.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 10, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dusty Lens posted:

But what if your boss is asking you to perpetuate a scam.

Then leave. Like an ethical adult.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
You pitch a revolutionary game concept and put out help wanted ads for people able to perform and build that product. You look at the applicants and pick the best ones you can to help you build that dream. You trust them with your future and money.

Its one thing to think you can do it and fail. poo poo happens especially in Rnd game dev. But to stay on as long as you can essentially milking the company's and backer's is little more than glorified theft.

I'm not saying Chris is a good guy here I'm not insane but putting this all on him is disingenuous when theres hundreds of people milking this hard pretending to be competant who are way more culpable than him.

I would welcome a round of layoffs to trim the well layered fat.

SCtrumpHaters fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 10, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn you

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I'm not saying Chris is a good guy here I'm not insane but putting this all on him is disingenuous when theres hundreds of people milking this hard pretending to be competant who are way more culpable than him.

I know fake posting and all, but for the reddit folks who really believe this...

When you are in a director-level role in software development, it is 100% your responsibility to have a strategy to evaluate and hire people who can do the job. It is also your job to replace people who can't do the job, or are unwilling to do the job. If you can't find people to do the job, then you hosed up in the planning phase by biting off more than you can chew.

There is no such thing as someone 'failing' a director. It is the director's job to resolve those problems with training, supplemental staff, or replacement. If they are unable or unwilling to do so, then it is the director who is bad at their job and blame for a failure falls on them, not the individual engineers.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You've kept this gimmick up longer than normal, have people been falling for it still?

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't even fuckin know whats real anymore honestly.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I know fake posting and all, but for the reddit folks who really believe this...

When you are in a director-level role in software development, it is 100% your responsibility to have a strategy to evaluate and hire people who can do the job. It is also your job to replace people who can't do the job, or are unwilling to do the job. If you can't find people to do the job, then you hosed up in the planning phase by biting off more than you can chew.

There is no such thing as someone 'failing' a director. It is the director's job to resolve those problems with training, supplemental staff, or replacement. If they are unable or unwilling to do so, then it is the director who is bad at their job and blame for a failure falls on them, not the individual engineers.

If I hire a dude to perform a code function and he is not able to perform a code function and lies/confounds over it for months on end its on the employee just as much if not more than the director.

Sorry, you don't get absolved of all moral responsibility because you are an employee.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Mangoose posted:

So these ship prices.

I can see two things happening. Either the ships will be easy to get in-game and thus not warrant a price tag like $800. Lots of backers will be pissed off because some guy got the ship THEY bought for a shitload of money during Citizencon '17 after a few months of semi-casual play. Others will still be happy, because it was never about the ships. It was about backing the dream.

The other case would be that it'll take a stupid amount of time to get a reasonable ship in-game without paying real money for it. That would make it really hard for them to attract new players unless they have a loving amazing gameplay loop and tons of stuff to do for the players flying around in the 'verse in the equivalent of a Datsun Cherry.

As far as I understand it, there won't be a real money cash shop after release, or whatever they consider "release". Of course, this means that, since Crobbers has gone on record saying that the game isn't going to have a conventional release, they'll be selling ships until the end of time. But if they actually stop selling ships, how the gently caress are they going to balance time vs money spent, and how are they going to defend it to the whales who are in for 10k+?

This is all assuming that they somehow manage to create a playable product that would appeal to anyone enough to make them purchase and play it.

I see a third thing happening: Ships take a long time to acquire, but there are various money making "exploits" that cut the time it takes to earn a ship by 90%. So while playing the game the "normal" way means earning a big ship takes 100+ hours, savvy players can do it in 10.

The whales then scream constantly about how the economy is ruined by these exploiters, they should be banned, their game experience ruined, etc.

In other words: Imagine Elite but most of the original players paid $500 for their Anaconda.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

SCtrumpHaters posted:

If I hire a dude to perform a code function and he is not able to perform a code function and lies/confounds over it for months on end its on the employee just as much if not more than the director.

Sorry, you don't get absolved of all moral responsibility because you are an employee.

If your employee can't code OpenDoor(), then instead of saying, 'Hey Tom, we *really* need doors to like, you know, open and close and stuff soon and if you could make that work soon, that'd be great', you say, 'Tom. Buddy. We need to move forward with this project and our doors still suck. I don't think this relationship is working out well so we hired someone else to do OpenDoor(). Sorry about this, but you're being let go. Now where is the guy who was building ramps..."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I don't even fuckin know whats real anymore honestly.

Same, although I've hosed around with Poe's Law for decades. Like we talked about weaponizing the stupid back in the day, but Usenet didn't have the penetration.

I still enjoy the gimmick, though; it's just that it's too damned effective.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Moral obligations are a helluva of thing. How does one sleep at night? On a bed of money or dying on a hill trying to make a point about the gaming industry?

Point is everyone has a line in the sand that is too much to cross.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm not defending Derek, I'm the first one to make fun of him, but I've talked about this in the past and I think what he said was accurate at the time.

:siren::siren:Now I will channel Derek:siren::siren:

This is all rambling speculation though about what went on behind the scenes. I've formed my opinion by passively watching this shitshow for a few years now and am taking into account things like CIGs own marketing, their tweets, their ATVs and interviews. Also things like the leaks and this threads analysis at every decision and action they take.

My theory is this:

Due to CIG constantly promising things and being unable to deliver I think Chris Roberts around December 2015 was certain of a early to mid two year late 2016 release for Squadron 42 which is where the real money is at. Since he has talked in interviews about expecting ridiculously impossible numbers of sales for it to the tune of a quarter billion dollars it's reasonable to make that the focus of your company if you are a big enough lunatic to think it's going to be that profitable.

Leading up to that was a nonstop barrage of videos about motion capture for Squadron 42 and the actors. Slides about the amazing script. Leaks about all the work going into it and how much work there was actually to do on Squadron 42. All Chris ever wanted to talk about was Squadron 42. Answer the call.

So in early 2016 we did get a few new patches to the PU. These patches started getting less and less substantial from 2.1. Eventually they were slight modifications anyone that has ever modded a game would instantly recognize. Adjusting values of things.

Then the maintenance mode thing comes up here in March. Not necessarily whatever the official terminology for a "maintenance mode" on a piece of software would be but that the PU was only being worked on to keep up appearances. All focus and resources were going to Squadron 42 but the PU is what cultists have paid for.

As 2016 started progressing you started having longer and longer time for even more and more insignificant patches. After about 6-7 months the maintenance mode and reduced consideration for the PU was proven to be exactly correct since it started taking multiple months to get slight tweaks to flight speed or camera movement. 2.5 in August was virtually identical to 2.0 from December of the previous year. I'm sure cultists would point at the hilarious patch notes or compile huge lists of how adjusting the ammunition in a gun or the top speed of something totally disproves my point but if you aren't a crazy idiot arguing for a belief you can see the actual changes from 2.0 -> 2.5 which were the definition of treading water or "maintenance mode."

Meanwhile you still saw Mark Hamill and Squadron 42 actors tweeting about their still ongoing motion capture up until July of that year.

Gamescom comes around and you have an obvious and proven fake scripted demo in cryeditor.exe to make even more money. Money flows in. Citcon rolls around and in addition to another obvious and proven fake scripted demo in cryeditor.exe you have Squadron 42's appearance cancelled for unexplained reasons. The Leaks had been progressively mentioning a reduced scope in Squadron 42 which was to try and get out "The Prelude." A smaller and cut up version of Squadron 42s content to try and sell it.

After that the holiday sale rolls around and CIG manages to poo poo out Star Marine.

Once 2017 hit Squadron 42 isn't being talked about much anymore. Work probably progressed on it or The Prelude until early this year and at some point the idea had to have been abandoned. I tend to think that all the leaks about how ridiculous the animation data was were correct. Especially when you consider the slides putting this at 10x the speaking roles of actual studio releases of animated films. Chris Roberts had wanted to make a movie and had generated 90% footage and 10% gameplay with most of his budget and the footage was largely worthless due to the work required to turn tens of millions of dollars of motion capture data into anything resembling a game with a narrative that he could sell for $60.

Leaks turned to Squadron 42 being combined with the persistent universe. All outward focus from CIG switches to 3.0 and delivering something that resembles the fake demos they sold last year.

I think they have shifted along this path

- Planning to develop both games simultaneously with 4 studios
(time passes)
- Already past their release date with tens of millions in Squadron 42, complete focus on finish it (Maintenance Mode PU)
(time passes)
- Unable to deal with the hilarious clusterfuck Chris Roberts filmed, scope is reduced and a smaller step will be taken toward Squadron 42, further forgetting the PU (Prelude, A year without patches)
(time passes)
- Development of anything to do with petabytes of mocap footage becomes so expensive that the forgotten PU is now front and center to make money (Fake Demos late 2016)
(a lot of time passes)
- Once the main 2017 sales start getting closer CIG starts producing more fake demos but is now apparently struggling to develop something that actually resembles them. (3.0) Work has obviously just started on it sometime recently but they are running with it 100% and are no longer talking about Squadron 42. Due to almost bankrupting the company on Squadron 42 for years their last resort is a broken tech demo they had largely been ignoring. It's all they have and that leads us to now where they are frantically trying to cram more features into an ancient engine they should have never used in the first place.

It's a shame that we have to speculate so much about what is actually happening at THE WORLD'S MOST OPEN GAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO. I'm pretty confident about that chain of events and if I was as crazy as Derek i would probably look up all the supporting tweets and information for each step but I don't care enough to spend an eternity digging through endless amounts of bullshit to highlight my points.

:perfect:
:five::five::five::five:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Colostomy Bag posted:

And this is the amazing thing. From a technological perspective this dumpster fire cannot be made base on Robert's visions. The in-game economic model...well who knows. We have Roberts on record saying that a Connie will require around 40 hours of gameplay to acquire.

In short, what an absolute farce.

Right, but what the hell are they thinking? I mean, it's not even close to my day job or anything, but sitting there in the middle of development, what the gently caress are the guys who are paid to figure this out thinking? Are they just leaving it for when it's time to think about? I mean, someone has to have had a thought along the lines of "all right, so how do we balance this?" already

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

CrazyLoon posted:

CRobblers' inhales charisma off his table in fine white-powdered form. Seriously, I've not seen any of his latest public appearances on any kind of stage where his eyes and face aren't bulging like he just snorted some good coke.

Then, cause he doesn't have the stamina to keep it up in his age, he turns back into super mushmouth in board meetings and such.

He also hates the backers and is painfully uncomfortable around them. Did anyone else notice at the Citizencon 2017 when he cut the cake? He's finished and then awkwardly blurts out about his hands being blue waves them around and then shuffles off the stage. Such charisma! He couldn't get off the stage fast enough.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mangoose posted:

Right, but what the hell are they thinking? I mean, it's not even close to my day job or anything, but sitting there in the middle of development, what the gently caress are the guys who are paid to figure this out thinking? Are they just leaving it for when it's time to think about? I mean, someone has to have had a thought along the lines of "all right, so how do we balance this?" already

Your mistake was using the word "thinking".

The whole game is basically like you and your buddys playing Tonka trucks in a sandbox imagining finding China if you could dig deep enough.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dusty Lens posted:

But what if your boss is asking you to perpetuate a scam.
Perpetuum Crobile.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Mne nravitsya posted:

You can't hide your lyin' eyes
And your smile is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes

I love how you never see him with his wife. They must hate each other.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Your mistake was using the word "thinking".

The whole game is basically like you and your buddys playing Tonka trucks in a sandbox imagining finding China if you could dig deep enough.

Right, but enough about my hobbies

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bayonnefrog posted:

His wig, on the other hand...

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Drunk Theory posted:

Still no Ben. I'd give it another week or two of shows, but the Agent might be completely right.

Apologies in advance but I missed this. What happened to him?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bayonnefrog posted:

I think she probably doesn't want to be associated with the debacle.

During the Gamescom gig, all he kept saying was he just wanted to go home to be with his wife and kid.

Of course the feeling might not be mutual and due to the constant crunch you could be right.

Amazing now that I think about it. Roberts has probably destroyed more actual lives compared to virtual ones.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If your employee can't code OpenDoor(), then instead of saying, 'Hey Tom, we *really* need doors to like, you know, open and close and stuff soon and if you could make that work soon, that'd be great', you say, 'Tom. Buddy. We need to move forward with this project and our doors still suck. I don't think this relationship is working out well so we hired someone else to do OpenDoor(). Sorry about this, but you're being let go. Now where is the guy who was building ramps..."

at what point should you start yelling JUST DO ITT!!!

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Bayonnefrog posted:

That Batgirl stream had that Bensday thing where Ben participated but it suddenly got cancelled because apparently CIG employees aren't doing "recurring shows" anymore. Add that to the fact that Ben is AWOL and theagent had some sort of indication that Ben isn't connected to the project anymore and that's pretty much it I think? Unless I missed something too

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
That's prettymuch it. He'll probably have a re-appearance in the holiday stream, then 6 months from now it'll be confirmed in some way or another.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Well if they drop Ben at least we know he'll bounce back.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Maybe five or six times.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mangoose posted:

Right, but enough about my hobbies

The Stimperor and the inevitable consequences in regards to his hobbies.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Still no Ben. I'd give it another week or two of shows, but the Agent might be completely right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1l9pgnNMc&t=438s

Ben and his wife were demoted to this show along time ago. Except when they let him play Wing Commander every few months.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Bayonnefrog posted:

Agent rumor that Ben has been outted. Superficiality collaborated by CIG stopping "outside company shows" the only one in existence involving Ben.

So. He might be gone. The holiday Livestream will be telling I think.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
If Ben's not around who's going to direct the ships :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

They really need low latency. What I'd do is have a GSLB on static proximity and then hit a close VPC running low latency compute units - spin up 10x and drop the half that test low. Then you can _either_ run back to a loving huge memory-based RDS instance, or, more horrifyingly, attempt to run a database cluster with some write-level caching. If you shard, just throw a database close to the PoP.

Biggest problem for their current claim is that they're talking about instancing without geography, which means that a crewmember in the UK will be instanced with someone in South Africa; Geographical sharding is the easiest answer, but...

The trouble is that I keep hearing about them using compute and nobody is talking network.

Edit: data point for you. GameLift's 'feature' is that you can use a large EC2 instance and virtualize your sessions on it. It's still session-based, and the only people I can find that are using it are mobile games at the moment. They _still_ suffer from networking issues because you can saturate virtualized hosts much quicker.

He's trying against impossible odds; how can you not be an infracaniphile?

Good info. I’m not readily familiar with this stuff, but a lot of people I️ work with are tying themselves to AWS lately, and the biggest thing I’m having to deal with is this SaaS stuff and “serverless” architecture.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

his nibs posted:

If Ben's not around who's going to direct the ships :(

We might end up with ships with zero chairs in his absence. :ohdear:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Nobody knows, since there are currently NO RELEASED GAMES that use LumberYard. The engine, as a whole, is all very experimental - and still in Beta.

What I do know is that the CryEngine networking layer was always rubbish; and isn't something that they were actively interesting in improving because most of the games the engine targeted, with simple 16-player games, with lobbies. Forget about loving MMOs.

And in the latest LY build, they even deprecated the entire CryEngine network layer in favor of their own. Which makes sense, since AWS is network-centric and they would have top tier network engineers there.

The LumberYard engine was never designed for MMO games. At all. Even AMZ states this clearly in their docs and faqs about what the engine is designed to do, and the limitations/strengths of the networking component.

Whoever wants to use LY for MMO games, is i) one dumb sumbitch ii) an incompetent moron

I suspect that in the switch from CE3.x to LY, they ended up using the LY implementation, which would require them to strip the now deprecated CE3.x networking layer they were using in their Frankenengine.

There was also indication that they were either using, or planning to use this experimental bullshit (in comparison to SDKs like RakNet or ReplicaNet) call yojimbo which they were Golden backers of. If they did end up using it, loving :laffo: because it explains everything.

Star Citizen was never designed to be an MMO. They have missed that boat. They're never - ever - going to get there because it's too late now. And the premise of them even attempting it, would mean a code/maintenance freeze of maybe TWO loving YEARS to re-jigger everything. When you consider that the last 2.6.3 patch was in April, and 3.0 is now almost a year late - and will be more than that eventually - it's easy to see how completely and totally hosed they are.

As I wrote here, an MMO architecture is not the sort of thing you just tack on at any time during development. The best they could have even got away with, was how Elite Dangerous - which isn't an MMO - did it. And that was a phenomenal fit of engineering, given how it works, the world size etc. AND it has a ton of caveats, regardless.

If they are now testing 60 client sessions, it's not because they magically came up with new networking tech (note that it's not listed anywhere in the dev schedule) at the spur of the moment. It's because they have realized that the AWS instances (these are the different tiers) they were usingvfor severs, are simply incapable of handling the additional poo poo that 3.0 is now throwing at it. Unfortunately for them, moving to higher tier AWS instances is not only going to cost them money, but it's also NOT going to solve the networking/connectivity problem. It's just going to solve the server's ability to just gently caress off and die at some point. And it was doing just that - CONSISTENTLY - in the tests they just had.

To get a better understanding of what it takes to build an MMO using cloud tech - the dumbest thing to do since we elected a moron as POTUS - is to read these resources.

Using the cloud to build a MMORPG <-- This is theoretical and shows you what's possible, not that it's possible for a real-time game, with high fidelity visuals etc

Building a World in the Clouds: MMO Architecture on AWS (MBL304) | AWS <-- This is how Firefall did it. Multiplayer was pure poo poo. And the game died. As did the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJPyjmfdz0 <--- This is how Frontier did it. And they don't even try to do anything more than 32 clients within a "bubble/island"

They're completely and utterly hosed; and Star Citizen will never - ever - be an MMO. Backers should just pray that they are one day able to play with 32 of their friends in a session. loving :lol: if they all have multi-crew ships.

This is my opinion too, without the logical resources. :)

Though I️ always find it funny that in reality, Star Citizen hasn’t begun development yet because of this very real fact.

Chris Roberts doesn’t want to admit that he can’t streamline communication over the internet with college kids the likes of which the world has never seen (because apparently nobody has tried to do it yet, haha).

He so, so desperately wants to be able to take his arena shooter type game and set max players = 9999999942 and it just works because of his sheer will and 1990’s creative programming abilities.

But it can’t, and it won’t. And they keep throwing more and more stuff at this game which is not an mmo that it’s funny.

There is no birthday for Star Citizen. As far as it’s concerned programmatically, Star Citizen doesn’t exist yet.

I️ never stop finding this funny, because it’s like kicking a can down the road, pretending on the next kick it might turn into a Corvette. But it can’t because this is the real loving world, and no matter how much you hope and dream, your will alone isn’t going to break the rules of reality.

And touting “because nobody tried before” is pretty much the dumbest loving thing to say in computer programming.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

Agent rumor that Ben has been outted. Superficiality collaborated by CIG stopping "outside company shows" the only one in existence involving Ben.

So. He might be gone. The holiday Livestream will be telling I think.

Getting rid of :lesnick: is complicated by, him knowing where the bodies are buried and his wife working there.

Losing him, and her, over the Christmas holidays would make more sense to me, but anything is possible.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SCtrumpHaters posted:

You pitch an revolutionary game idea concept and put out help wanted ads for people able to perform and build that product. Mocap and big name stars. You look at the applicants dollar signs and pick the best ones you can to help you build that dream. You trust them with your future and money. to make you look like a director

Its one thing to think you can do it and fail. poo poo happens especially in Rnd game dev. But to stay on as long as you can essentially milking the company's and backer's is little more than glorified theft.

because that would be really loving stu- ohhhhhhhhhhhh

p.s I know you're trolling but still.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 10, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dusty Lens posted:

Wait are we not calling them leavers anymore.

Who's honorable and who's the bad guy.

The bad guys are the devs sitting on their phones during meetings that are being filmed, whilst we're all supposed to believe they are 'crunching really hard' and 'working long into the night' and 'working on a game'

They're happy to take a wage in the 100% knowledge that it's a giant scam because there's a line in the sand somewhere or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

Getting rid of :lesnick: is complicated by, him knowing where the bodies are buried and his wife working there.

Losing him, and her, over the Christmas holidays would make more sense to me, but anything is possible.
Chris could just buy out Lesnick with some RARE NEVER BEFORE SEEN NAPKIN DOODLES OF A HIDDEN SECRET SHIP FROM ONE OF HIS FIRST GAMES.