Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

papa horny michael posted:

is this real? i honestly had no idea what he was saying. between this, and the girl's likes and umms on the previous episode i nearly quit paying the $15.00 a money

Later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

is this real? i honestly had no idea what he was saying. between this, and the girl's likes and umms on the previous episode i nearly quit paying the $15.00 a money

yes, there are many ways to romanize a lot of different things in arabic, this is what you would see Osama and Usama in different news outlets for so long

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
'the girl'

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

emdash posted:

yes, there are many ways to romanize a lot of different things in arabic, this is what you would see Osama and Usama in different news outlets for so long

Don't tell this guy about Chinese, hoo boy

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
But yeah most people with connections to the country, as far as I can tell, pronounce Qatar "Cutter." My alma mater had a campus there so I had to hear it a lot from administrators and friends who taught or worked there.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure pronunciation of Qatar is a joke from Veep, even.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cross-posting from C-SPAM, rofl @ this headline.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

You guys could always just look up Al Jazeera vids on Qatar and see how they pronounce it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
shameful that we got this far without a Welcome Back Qatar joke.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i pay $5 a month to listen to an extra hour of felix talking but i'm preoccupied with this young ESL woman who says "like" and "um"

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Serious question: Why do you think she's ESL? Nothing about the way she speaks to me suggests she's anything but a native born Hispanic-american like me. I could be wrong but I see no reason so assume otherwise.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
At one point she noted that she didn't know the English word for a distribution center.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

She couldn't remember the English word for something or other.

efb, that's right, distribution center

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yes I remember that moment, hate to break it to you guys but that happens to bi-lingual people all the time. It really has nothing to do with what might be her "first" language and more to do probably with being nervous and only remembering how it was referred to while she was there in Puerto Rico. I am a native English speaker and occasionally have to think hard to remember how to say something in English simply because I am more used to hearing it/saying it in Spanish.

I am not trying to give anyone a hard time necessarily but I resent the idea that someone who is a bilingual Hispanic like me is assumed to be ESL. We're American, like you.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
don't you loving dare call me american

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Her website doesn't say (lol) http://www.aidachavez.com/about.html

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
She was a good guest with firsthand knowledge of an important issue.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes I remember that moment, hate to break it to you guys but that happens to bi-lingual people all the time. It really has nothing to do with what might be her "first" language and more to do probably with being nervous and only remembering how it was referred to while she was there in Puerto Rico. I am a native English speaker and occasionally have to think hard to remember how to say something in English simply because I am more used to hearing it/saying it in Spanish.

I am not trying to give anyone a hard time necessarily but I resent the idea that someone who is a bilingual Hispanic like me is assumed to be ESL. We're American, like you.

Agreed, and I'd go further in that nearly everyone finds it tough to speak eloquently or has momentary lapses of memory.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Agreed, and I'd go further in that nearly everyone finds it tough to speak eloquently or has momentary lapses of memory.

This is just a redux of the zine controversy

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/928690767933173760
Eric has been going full hog on his “sex crime allegations are kompromat” theory :allears:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

There it is:

She is the daughter of Mexican immigrants and a first generation American.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/regwag2003/status/882778593767682049

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

why would you hate to break that to someone

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Law Cheetah posted:

why would you hate to break that to someone

Yeah, seems like that is helpful information that people would appreciate.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I think she yelled at me on twitter once

hey why is that guy paying more than $5 for chapo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Breadallelogram posted:

don't you know? nazis gotta pay triple

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Breadallelogram posted:

nazis pay more man, nazis can listen but they gotta pay the fee

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This Donna Brazile episode rules

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mods change my name to Marcia Fudge

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I loved that minions riff. Between Hillary and Donna's books and the fun receipts person it feels like the DNC is staffed exclusively by various forms of scatterbrained pinterest mums.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Moon Atari posted:

I loved that minions riff. Between Hillary and Donna's books and the fun receipts person it feels like the DNC is staffed exclusively by various forms of scatterbrained pinterest mums.

*whiskey crones

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
God that episode was perfect. Great balance between 'ok so she WAS smarter than idiots like Mook and it's really a bummer she got ignored for ~THE DATA~' and 'but she is also fuckin batshit and this is absolutely personal brand damage control as well'.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's hilarious that Brazile was mad about the duck thing not because it's a stupid loving idea conceived by some idiot who hasn't interacted with a normal person in decades, but because she was implicitly financially threatened by a giant evil corporation. Dems in a nutshell.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
"I was called DAFFY DONNA because my name was Donna."

Can you think of any other reasons they might have called you daffy, Donna? Anything at all?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Listening to the latest now and while the Felix opening was great, Amber and Matt are both on fire this ep.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This is a hell of an episode. How the hell did this glorious mess of a woman get involved with two presidential campaigns?

What about the first made people go “Oh yes, her again. She nailed it”?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fans posted:

This is a hell of an episode. How the hell did this glorious mess of a woman get involved with two presidential campaigns?

What about the first made people go “Oh yes, her again. She nailed it”?
Are we still talking about Donna Brazile?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what are the chances nick mullen winds up taking heat for the episode title? 100% 105%

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sexpig by night posted:

God that episode was perfect. Great balance between 'ok so she WAS smarter than idiots like Mook and it's really a bummer she got ignored for ~THE DATA~' and 'but she is also fuckin batshit and this is absolutely personal brand damage control as well'.

That's called being Alpha, and it's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Goofing on a woman for giving her dog a silly name is not cool. :colbert: