Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the navy that's true. In the AF it is an actual job. 3M0X1 is the career field and you can literally hand out basketballs for your full enlistment.

Too bad I'm too old to reenlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Blackchamber posted:

It's not a rate or mos. It's usually a job done by civilian contractors but supposedly people have been assigned temporarily to work at the gym and other places and do that crap.

Depending on the kind of trouble you get into, big Navy has something called temporary holding units and they farm people out to do lovely jobs.

TPU /THU is also where people go when waiting on adjudication for their clearances for SAP access or what-have-you. THU is full of A-schoolers from Corry who didn't get their polys in time and, yes, they get sent to good ol' Eagle Fitness to hand out Basketballs until the SSO okays them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vriess posted:

TPU /THU is also where people go when waiting on adjudication for their clearances for SAP access or what-have-you. THU is full of A-schoolers from Corry who didn't get their polys in time and, yes, they get sent to good ol' Eagle Fitness to hand out Basketballs until the SSO okays them.

That's once again a navy thing. Air Force Services literally has people who man MWR/gym stuff for their entire enlistment.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's once again a navy thing. Air Force Services literally has people who man MWR/gym stuff for their entire enlistment.

Jesus. If you had that job for even one full enlistment you could get out with at least a master's degree, PhD for two.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

They also have a flight attendant MOS.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arrinien posted:

I've noticed this come up a bunch of times in this thread. As someone who isn't in the military, or even American, is this a really common joke about the USAF or is there actually a job where you will be handing out basketballs?

It's a joke about the "service" career field in the Air Force. Most of them were thrown out during the massive manpower cuts of the 90s/00s, but services overseas things like MWR programs (morale, welfare, recreation...you can rent outdoors equipment, get discount travel/sports/concert tickets, etc), the base gym, pool, golf course. The people actually manning the desk at these places are not usually uniformed personnel, they're usually spouses or children of military folks. There are few, though.

It's a common joke in the AF too. You're worthless, crosstrain to services and hand out towels.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The AF calls it "casual status" and it works the same way. I was basically an assistant secretary for an O-6 for about 7 months waiting for my career field training to start. A friend of mine was the assistant to the guy planning/running the annual air show (he got an achievement medal iirc).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 9, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Navy officers especially pilots end up on casual status and stashed away while waiting on schools often enough.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

They also have a flight attendant MOS.

Dealing with AMC personnel on the way down range was basically seeing a uniformed equivalent to the same people I saw in Real Life traveling for business. It was weird.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

The fort and lighthouse are great and be prepared to spend a full day at the naval air museum because it's out-loving-standing. Just when you think there can't be more you realize there's a whole second building.

When I was waiting to class up for API a few of us got cached in the museum to help out for a few hours a day, best job ever that place is awesome.

vulturesrow posted:

Wanting to go big wings is dumb.

Hey man, some want the pointy end of the spear and some feel the call of the majestic sky RV.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

Wanting to go big wings is dumb.

Why would anyone want a few thousand hours in 737s? Or to have a shitter?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I was on TPU for about a month while transitioning to limdu and it ruled. My responsibilities were as follows:

- muster at PSD in the morning
- don’t be late for doctor’s appointments

I highly recommend it (minus the transitioning to limdu part!)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
hey, if you get a 99 on your asvab you'd think you'd be smart enough to go CTN instead if nuke, but oh well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I just saw a chiefs pea coat for the first time today and omg I'm buying one for civilian wear. Gonna get rid of the dumb gold buttons first.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I just saw a chiefs pea coat for the first time today and omg I'm buying one for civilian wear. Gonna get rid of the dumb gold buttons first.

Then it is just a pea coat? Or did I just :thejoke:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Then it is just a pea coat? Or did I just :thejoke:

Nah it goes down to the knees. It's loving big pimping.

I may really love pea coats.

Ohhh its the officers bridge coat! Still love it.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 9, 2017

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Nah it goes down to the knees. It's loving big pimping.

I may really love pea coats.

Ohhh its the officers bridge coat! Still love it.

Yeah, that's what I thought you were referencing. I changed my pea coat from blueshirt to Chief via changing the buttons to gold so was confused.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought you were referencing. I changed my pea coat from blueshirt to Chief via changing the buttons to gold so was confused.

Yeah my bad, I was at a local consignment store buying bigger blue bottoms because sailors gonna get fat and all when I came across one. Gonna get rid of the shoulder loops and switch the buttons.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Godholio posted:

Why would anyone want a few thousand hours in 737s? Or to have a shitter?

I confess I don't believe there to be any good answers to those questions, especially for NFO types.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
guys, im in vegas, on a Wednesday night, drinking martinis in a cocktail lounge, and I didn't need to get permission from my chief to go out of area. my advice:

1) get out.

2) never go nuke.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For some reason, my dumb rear end brain has been mentally translating CTN to Crypto Tech Nuclear. I just realized that that's definitely not correct.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
cryptologic technician networks.

We are hackers (wannabe script kiddies) :)

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Sir Lucius posted:

cryptologic technician networks.

We are hackers (wannabe script kiddies) :)

Government cost saving measure is more like it. Also, it's one of the few rates you could buy a puppy and raise it to an old dog without ever abandoning it to goto sea.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

guys, im in vegas, on a Wednesday night, drinking martinis in a cocktail lounge, and I didn't need to get permission from my chief to go out of area. my advice:

1) get out.

2) never go nuke.

This is a good post OP

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
For skipping the PRT next cycle does that happen automatically if you made the right score or do you have to get cleared by someone first? Wanted to make sure I was reading BUPERS right.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For skipping the PRT next cycle does that happen automatically if you made the right score or do you have to get cleared by someone first? Wanted to make sure I was reading BUPERS right.

Your CFL is supposed to enter in the system. Latest Navadmin covers it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It's an entry in PRIMS, and you just gotta pass the BCA.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Default Settings posted:

Hi, I have no deeper knowledge of the US Navy, but let me add:
In my 16 years of reading SA I have never seen a thread disagree that hard and unanimously with a choice.
Let that sink in.

I want to thank everyone who participated in the well pissing process this past week for their service because it has been some of the funniest SA posting I've ever read. Favorite punchlines included the Riker posts and the "thanks for ur service" one.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

We can offer kava

Still better than nuke

I want this. Give this to me. Are you in the South Pacific at the moment? My buddy got out of the USMC and is running a tug and barge company around Vanuatu. Slave wages but minimal responsibility/work. Where is the crime yacht on the work/responsibility scale?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd imagine every so often you have to ignore the sound of a silenced gunshot or man being garrotted, but hey, international waters. Ain't no one's business.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

I want this. Give this to me. Are you in the South Pacific at the moment? My buddy got out of the USMC and is running a tug and barge company around Vanuatu. Slave wages but minimal responsibility/work. Where is the crime yacht on the work/responsibility scale?

Funny story we will be in your mom later this month

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 16, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My engineering sense is telling me you need an engineer for the month of December, fly me out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Funny story we will be in xxxxx later this month

Isn't that a way for an enterprising internet detective to find out what superyacht you work on? :ohdear:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It's winter in the northern hemisphere, everyone is heading to the south Pacific now. Med is lovely, Africa requires armed guards, could go to South America I guess?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Hey Navy thread I thought I would ask for your assistance in joining and was wondering on what rate but oops i'm a loving idiot and actually don't want your advice and will actively do whatever the opposite of what you say so please tell me to totally not be a nuke so I can live my dream of being the only special snowflake to love nuke school because my bro who has been in for three years and is basically the mcpon told me it would be great and also gently caress myself because I am the biggest loving gently caress who's ever hosed a loving gently caress.

No for real though logical fallacy maybe go ask your mom if she could abort you right now because thats a better option than what your incredibly stupid loving rear end has signed up for.

EDIT: I expect this approach will work.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
<logicalfallacy checks the thread and determines he in fact knows more than nearly a century of Navy experience and determines he will not, in fact, be a simple statistic because he uttered the words "I will not be a statistic".>

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Isn't that a way for an enterprising internet detective to find out what superyacht you work on? :ohdear:

Naval Intelligence at work

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Eh... probably but there are like 5 yachts I know there right now so who really cares.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Hey Navy thread I thought I would ask for your assistance in joining and was wondering on what rate but oops i'm a loving idiot and actually don't want your advice and will actively do whatever the opposite of what you say so please tell me to totally not be a nuke so I can live my dream of being the only special snowflake to love nuke school because my bro who has been in for three years and is basically the mcpon told me it would be great and also gently caress myself because I am the biggest loving gently caress who's ever hosed a loving gently caress.

No for real though logical fallacy maybe go ask your mom if she could abort you right now because thats a better option than what your incredibly stupid loving rear end has signed up for.

EDIT: I expect this approach will work.

I'm just really stubborn and dig my heels in despite common survival instinct and common sense telling me to run the gently caress away. Also I signed a piece of paper that says I really love submarines, like... REALLY LOVE THEM, I hope this won't effect my future changes of becoming a statistic and knowing someone that will become a statistic.

Someone you know and work with will kill themselves at some point, along side with countless people making cry for help attempts only to be ignored or held for a few days before returning to work to a division or school that hates them even more for increasing there workload. Enjoy.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Submarines aren't inherently a bad deal though they're certainly not for everyone.

Lots of people on subs like their jobs.

None of those people are nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I always have this dream where I can be like the avionics tech rep on an aircraft carrier, make friends with the FCs and gain access to their sponsons and not have a chain of command outside of Corporate.