Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

FishBulb posted:

Because the Polanski and Allen stories are old news and have been played out in the media already

If a new accuser came out against either of them it might make some noise but didn’t some one just come out about Polanski pretty recently and it was just forgotten?

Well yeah but I'm saying as a society we should either watch stuff made by deviants or not watch stuff made by deviants, the boringness of the accusations shouldn't be a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I saw the new Murder on the Orient Express and despite the all-star cast, it was perfunctory and lifeless, though I suppose you could say the same about most Kenneth Brannaugh films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CPL593H posted:

There's an episode of his show that's all about him jerking off and there's a horrible scene where he's debating some young woman in he early 20s about the topic of masturbation on Fox News and among the general grossness of that scene he outright tells her he's going to jerk off to her later and then the episode ends with a scene depicting him jerking off in his apartment. So basically he used his show to indulge in his making people watch him masturbate against their will fetish on a mass scale.

:shittypop::shittypop::shittypop::shittypop:

K. Waste posted:

God, what a great archive. Yo, MHB, I'm using Psychomania and Zeitgeist in my next spoiler alert cause one's perfect for a montage of early silent horror, and the other's perfect for HP Lovecraft/Jean Painleve

I'm legit pumped that I'm able to spread that archive around, it's so heckin'.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I wish I was exaggerating any of that. It might actually be worse than I remember because I saw that episode exactly once when it aired and never again.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CPL593H posted:

I wish I was exaggerating any of that. It might actually be worse than I remember because I saw that episode exactly once when it aired and never again.

The main thing I remember about his standup, besides the fact that he talked about jerking off a lot (apparently if you ever see a guy jerking off under a bridge it's because the wife and kids at home never let him have his jerk-off time) is how often and with how much detail he discussed his daughters' like, private parts and bodily functions just to get a squeamish laugh.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The main thing I remember about his standup, besides the fact that he talked about jerking off a lot (apparently if you ever see a guy jerking off under a bridge it's because the wife and kids at home never let him have his jerk-off time) is how often and with how much detail he discussed his daughters' like, private parts and bodily functions just to get a squeamish laugh.

As much as I hate to play devil's advocate that stuff about his kids was really only his first two specials. He moved onto other topics when he really blew up, but knowing what we know now does make those bits seem a lot worse than just cringey.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CPL593H posted:

As much as I hate to play devil's advocate that stuff about his kids was really only his first two specials. He moved onto other topics when he really blew up, but knowing what we know now does make those bits seem a lot worse than just cringey.

I guess so. It was my first exposure to CK and it's kind of hung over everything else he's done - faux introspection and self-disgust as humor. "my kids are so lovely and my wife's a oval office and i'm gonna take a picture of you and jerk off on it later nyahhhh hate me i'm a fat disgusting pig nyehhhhhhh" which now seems extra-weird and shameful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I guess so. It was my first exposure to CK and it's kind of hung over everything else he's done - faux introspection and self-disgust as humor. "my kids are so lovely and my wife's a oval office and i'm gonna take a picture of you and jerk off on it later nyahhhh hate me i'm a fat disgusting pig nyehhhhhhh" which now seems extra-weird and shameful.

A lot of stand up comedy is about hyperbole and looking at day to day life in an extreme and grotesque way so it's not hard to see why it seemed funny at the time or how no one noticed that the man saying these things is a deviant.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm legit pumped that I'm able to spread that archive around, it's so heckin'.

At this point I'm bouncin' back and forth between that and diving into every album that went into the Easy Rider soundtrack, it's a really good music time for me.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A story related to all of these sexual assault accusations, and how some people are handling them:

I went in to close the movie theater for the first time last night, which means showing up at 10, maybe selling a couple tickets to the last round of shows (it was a wednesday, so very limited numbers in general), then cleaning up the popcorn popper and putting up times for the next day and stuff like that, then waiting until all the shows are out and shutting down the projectors. Oftentimes, one or more employees will be treating themselves to a showing of something, either something new that comes out the next day or something they brought from home, and last night was no different. One of my coworkers, who has been around for a while (he worked as a projectionist when that was still a thing) was there to watch Murder on the Orient Express with a few other guys, and we had a conversation while they were waiting for it to transfer to the projector for the biggest theater. We started out talking about Kevin Spacey and the news of his replacement in All The Money in the World, then kinda gradually went outwards to talking about everyone else who had been pulled into the spotlight, as well as my general dislike of Polanski and Allen. The other guys who were there were younger and didn't know who they were, so I got to run down the list of poo poo they've done, but my older coworker was well aware, and you could tell that as the conversation went along further, he was getting upset. He's a huge movie buff and he told us that all of this stuff was really bringing him down, that it was ruining a lot of things that he loved and putting them in a different perspective and he just seemed like he wasn't coping with it very well. He's a white guy in his 30s or so, and I think when you live in a bubble with no real desire to expose yourself to the negative aspects of filmmakers that you like (you know, separating art from artist) and that it's very likely that a lot of the people who you respect and look up to aren't very good people at all, you feel like you're getting beaten over the head with a reminder that Hollywood is not a very nice place and that can really affect you. At one point he started to call the whole thing a "witch hunt" and started to sound like he thought these things were just attempts to bring people down for some reason, which i quickly tried to cut off because letting that idea take seed can only lead one down a dark road. He also mentioned that he was worried that this would start a trend of attempting to get rid of or censor works starring figures who were revealed to be abusers (the one and only time the phrase "social justice warriors" came into play in this conversation), or that it would be harder to find things if an abuser made/starred in them.

We then made a brief jaunt into politics (he mentioned that this whole episode was a backlash to "hollywood losing the election") and got into a mildly uncomfortable debate about the idea of diversity being shoved down the throat of Hollywood and especially the Oscars (which he claimed were being made less significant with the focus on diversity at the expense of what actually deserved awards, which got kinda laughed off by all of the rest of us), and he got really angry at Hidden Figures in particular (compared to Moonlight, which was his favorite movie of last year) because he thought it was a bad movie that only got attention because of the story it told and the desire for more diversity (which I don't think he was entirely wrong about, although I liked it more than him). That was around the point where I exited because that's not really a road I wanted to travel down at 1am when I just wanted to leave, and he was clearly troubled and maybe not saying the smartest things in general. Generally speaking he's a really nice guy who is very passionate about movies (the two of us watched Return of the Living Dead and Phantom of the Paradise last weekend before Halloween on the big screen), but it reminded me that not everybody is seeing this series of events in the same light. I really hope he doesn't keep going down the road of blaming the people coming out and telling their stories, and that he was just having a bad day (which can happen when people you respect and admire turn out to be creepy rapists). When you're a man, you often don't have to confront the dark side of the things you love because you think "well if *i'm* not doing it then it's not my problem", so when the rumble becomes loud enough that you can't ignore it, some people lash out. But of course, the feelings of some dorky dudes in the midwest aren't really the important part of this debacle.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CPL593H posted:

A lot of stand up comedy is about hyperbole and looking at day to day life in an extreme and grotesque way so it's not hard to see why it seemed funny at the time or how no one noticed that the man saying these things is a deviant.

No, yeah, and I get that, back in college I watched his stand-up specials repeatedly and cried laughing because they were just so astonishingly funny, but as the rest of his life kind of came together it started to seem less funny and more disquieting, and now it's reached a needlepoint of total assault that's firmly punctured his output.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/akachela/status/928808301927821312

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh ya Orient Express had the full trailer for All the Money in the World featuring "KEVIN SPACEY AS JOHN PAUL GETTY"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

A story related to all of these sexual assault accusations, and how some people are handling them:
I don't have anything to add, just thought this was an interesting story. I think he'll hardly be the only movie buff struggling with the revelations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s great that happened while you were waiting to watch Murder on the Orient Express, starring noted wife abuser Johnny Depp.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s great that happened while you were waiting to watch Murder on the Orient Express, starring noted wife abuser Johnny Depp.

I'm assuming he's playing the same role as Richard Widmark did in the 1974 film?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aaaahhhh all the people defending Roy Moore.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Lurdiak posted:

"The Moral Majority"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I went through my old photobucket account and found this. I like the idea more than the execution tbh

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lurdiak posted:

The same crowd that is obsessed with their made up pizza gate has no problems with an actual pedophile. It's ridiculous.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

"these women that have never met before and all of which tell similar stories (the one with the most egregious claim being someone who voted Republican) are clearly lying because of the vast love and riches that await women who accuse men in power of abusing them".

The amount of people on the Right that eagerly joined in on condemning all the accusations coming out of Hollywood but skeptical the second it became about Roy Moore shows how concerned these people really are about sexual assault.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 10, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I want to go all Mike Hammer on the "it's not pedophilia, it's ebedophilia" people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Surprising no one, I Love You Daddy has now been shelved indefinitely

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't know how anyone thought it was a good idea tbh

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There were some jokes of CK that stuck with me because they were a bit too.. felt like they had an ulterior motive to them, but at the time didn't pay much mind to it, welp, guess should have payed more attention to it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

It'll be like Tomorrow Night and be unceremoniously released in 16 years.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
There been a high speed chase happening my city for about 2 hours now

http://www.koco.com/article/driver-leads-police-on-chase-on-i-240-in-southwest-okc/13516452

the driver livestreamed part of his chase on facebook and in the clip they showed on tv he yelled to other drivers "I'm in a high speed chase bro!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Louis CK issues a statement: "These allegations are true"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

There been a high speed chase happening my city for about 2 hours now

http://www.koco.com/article/driver-leads-police-on-chase-on-i-240-in-southwest-okc/13516452

the driver livestreamed part of his chase on facebook and in the clip they showed on tv he yelled to other drivers "I'm in a high speed chase bro!"

loving nuts!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
ytotd: a story of how ptsd engenders social isolation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQt8CqVPNC4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's probably as good an apology as an abuser can give, although it's obviously not enough to undo what he did.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Look forward to my new standup special in 2018 where I talk about what a gross miserable person I am

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’ve been sayin it for years now, I fuckin hate standup comedians. I’ve spent a ton of time around them and they’re just the pits.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Being funny is like scratching an itch. The relief is temporary and if you do it too much you end up torn up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I feel like “Public Apology 101” should just be yelling “USE THE WORD SORRY IN YOUR PRESS RELEASE DUMMY”

There’s no excuse not to, and an apology without the word “sorry” or “apologize” just feels tacky at best, and lovely at worst.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh, just when I had a small modicum of respect left for Louis CK because of the forthrightness of his apology.

https://twitter.com/NYTnickc/status/929064984205758467

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I feel like “Public Apology 101” should just be yelling “USE THE WORD SORRY IN YOUR PRESS RELEASE DUMMY”

There’s no excuse not to, and an apology without the word “sorry” or “apologize” just feels tacky at best, and lovely at worst.

This type of thing always feels like an excuse for people to still be mad after someone made an apology. Like I'm not saying you have to accept his apology but I also don't think putting the word "sorry" in there makes a lick of difference.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

This type of thing always feels like an excuse for people to still be mad after someone made an apology. Like I'm not saying you have to accept his apology but I also don't think putting the word "sorry" in there makes a lick of difference.

I think people would sleep a lot better at night if they just admitted that they dont actually think an apology is ever sufficient and just want dark-ages style punishments for wrongdoers.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Nature is so dope, get rekt bithc:

https://gizmodo.com/the-fungus-that-turns-ants-into-zombies-is-more-diaboli-1820301538 posted:

'Carpenter ants of the Brazilian rain forest have it rough. When one of these insects gets infected by a certain fungus, it turns into a so-called “zombie ant” and is no longer in control of its actions. Manipulated by the parasite, an infected ant will leave the cozy confines of its arboreal home and head to the forest floor—an area more suitable for fungal growth. After parking itself on the underside of a leaf, the zombified ant anchors itself into place by chomping down onto the foliage. This marks the victim’s final act. From here, the fungus continues to grow and fester inside the ant’s body, eventually piercing through the ant’s head and releasing its fungal spores. This entire process, from start to finish, can take upwards of ten agonizing days.

We’ve known about zombie ants for quite some time, but scientists have struggled to understand how the parasitic fungus, O. unilateralis (pronounced yu-ni-lat-er-al-iss), performs its puppeteering duties. This fungus is often referred to as a “brain parasite,” but new research published this week in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences shows that the brains of these zombie ants are left intact by the parasite, and that O. unilateralis is able to control the actions of its host by infiltrating and surrounding muscle fibers throughout the ant’s body. In effect, it’s converting an infected ant into an externalized version of itself. Zombie ants thus become part insect, part fungus.

[....] The results were truly disturbing. Cells of O. unilateralis had proliferated throughout the entire ant’s body, from the head and thorax right down to the abdomen and legs. What’s more, these fungal cells were all interconnected, creating a kind of Borg-like, collective biological network that controlled the ants’ behavior.

“We found that a high percentage of the cells in a host were fungal cells,” said Hughes in a statement. “In essence, these manipulated animals were a fungus in ants’ clothing.”

But most surprising of all, the fungus hadn’t infiltrated the carpenter ants’ brains....'

Thats right, get 'Sunken'd Place' by a fungus as it wears your body like clothes but your brain is left fully untouched so you can absorb all the horror.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think people would sleep a lot better at night if they just admitted that they dont actually think an apology is ever sufficient and just want dark-ages style punishments for wrongdoers.

People should refrain from doing things which are so difficult to meaningfully apologise for.

• Locked thread