Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

D.N. Nation posted:

Why it's almost as if conservatives outraged over Weinstein were full of poo poo

100% of conservative outage is nothing more than "Democrats did a thing and Democrats are evil". That's how they see the world.

I once had a Christian conservative friend back in college that I would have religious discussions with back when I was still a believer. Once we were talking about "the problem of evil" and the way he explained how he solves it is "God is good, anything God does is good even if we think it is evil. Something is only evil when you act against God's will like the Devil." That's how the conservatives feel about politics except replace God with GOP and Devil with DNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that dragon represents China.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Avirosb posted:

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that dragon represents China.

Whatever gave you that idea?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

I really wanted to quote this without comment, but I feel like "DEBT" should be written on that moon...

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

I'm actually fine with the lunar colonies refusing to sign the Paris Agreement. The pollution they emit is their own problem, not ours.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There's a great picture of two of those world's strongman competitors with this tiny guy between them. Then you do a double-take because the tiny guy is Arnold.

There's one like that with him hanging off the biceps of Wilt Chamberlin and Andre the Giant from the set of Conan the Destroyer. No shame in being shorter than those two, them cats were monsters.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
I’m looking for a comic that I’m pretty sure I saw here. It’s a giant robot that represents the economy or the free market and the text is about how they need to keep it alive. And it’s walking destroying things.

Vague but I’m sure someone knows what I’m talking about.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jack Bandit posted:

I’m looking for a comic that I’m pretty sure I saw here. It’s a giant robot that represents the economy or the free market and the text is about how they need to keep it alive. And it’s walking destroying things.

Vague but I’m sure someone knows what I’m talking about.

I'm pretty sure that's a Perry Bible Fellowship cartoon, I'll check

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a Perry Bible Fellowship cartoon, I'll check

Nah, it's an Eagan

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

I'm not getting the Gillespie/American Werewolf in London joke.

Uh..was there anything to suggest their yard spat was politically motivated?

gently caress you, Payne. I love my c.1917 solar panels.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

loquacius posted:

Nah, it's an Eagan

Yes! Thanks

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Sandpuppy posted:

Payne's so dense you could use him to drill through diamonds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Actually, it is green energy that is primitive and stupid."

What an amazing take.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

loquacius posted:

Nah, it's an Eagan

Thanks, I was going nuts looking in the wrong places

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Sandpuppy posted:

No. Apparently it was all landscaping-based.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/09/politics/rand-paul-injury-mystery/index.html

The hot takes are actually hilarious:

quote:

"I think the story is the weirdness of the story. It's about lawn clippings and he crushes ... his ribs?" one GOP strategist said incredulously. "That's the story?"
Another GOP strategist questioned whether the "coastal elites," particularly reporters, were failing to understand "the leaf blower wars that take place all across Middle America."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sandpuppy posted:

I'm not getting the Gillespie/American Werewolf in London joke.
I think it's because he sold out and went the Trump way with campaigning on divisive, racially charged issues in an attempt to win, which he used to publicly be against, and which also failed miserably.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There's a great picture of two of those world's strongman competitors with this tiny guy between them. Then you do a double-take because the tiny guy is Arnold.

Not strongman competitors, the cast of Conan the Destroyer!

(Wilt Chamberlain and Andre the Giant)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Clueless Hipster Dad Best Dad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wait didn't Pinocchio die in puppet form before becoming a Real Boy? I'm pretty sure he did. Clueless Hipster Dad Did Nothing Wrong

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

D.N. Nation posted:

Why it's almost as if conservatives outraged over Weinstein were full of poo poo

Pure projection. They support their candidate no matter what horrors he commits, so they feel Democrats would obviously do the same thing. They were so far up their asses that they couldn't even hear the people on the left condemning him - to their ears, it was meaningless "wah wah wah" like the adults in Peanuts.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mr. Vile posted:

Not strongman competitors, the cast of Conan the Destroyer!

(Wilt Chamberlain and Andre the Giant)

I love those pictures, but there's a different one I'm thinking of. It was way more recent, like from when he was governor. I tried finding it, but I couldn't locate the specific one I was thinking of.
Edit

This is basically the one I was thinking of.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 10, 2017

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Sandpuppy posted:

The answer to any question about any of Branco's cartoons will always be "Branco is a loving idiot."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Avirosb posted:

Silly Ben. Mountains are for fracking.

That "mountain" is less than 20 feet high. Trump is literally depicted as making a mountain out of a molehill.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The answer to any question about any of Branco's cartoons will always be "Branco is a loving idiot."

I think that's less an answer and more a universal law like gravity.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I dunno, if you look at the congress for scale, these are really giant Americans serving a gigantor Trump atop his mountain.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Sandpuppy posted:

I have to be reading this incorrectly, right? He's not actually saying coal is the future and wind and solar are products of the past? Holy loving poo poo.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Fancy Hat posted:

I have to be reading this incorrectly, right? He's not actually saying coal is the future and wind and solar are products of the past? Holy loving poo poo.

Yup. Payne is one of the dumbest motherfuckers in this thread.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

du -hast posted:

Bill Lockyer, former CA Treasury Secretary (from 07 - 2015 - during the financial crisis and the CA budget meltdown) generally spent his entire time in budget meetings reading SciFi and Fantasy novels. I once spotted him reading Wizard's First Rule during a budget meeting. He basically sat there and read, ignoring the committee, until they told him what to do. He's a great guy and a lot of fun, but basically just dozed through his entire term.

Seeing the treasurer reading that poo poo would throw up more red flags than May Day in China for me.

(For those of you not up on your fantasy lit, Wizard's First Rule is part of an Objectivist series that, among other things, argues it's perfectly okay to kill pacifist protestors for being too wussy to fight for themselves.)

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

"Peace Through Strength"

isnt this the fascists slogan

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Selachian posted:

Seeing the treasurer reading that poo poo would throw up more red flags than May Day in China for me.

(For those of you not up on your fantasy lit, Wizard's First Rule is part of an Objectivist series that, among other things, argues it's perfectly okay to kill pacifist protestors for being too wussy to fight for themselves.)

I somehow missed most of it until like book 5 where it is literally FreeMarket Superman Conquers Literal Communist City (And His Lady-Captors Nethers) Through Bootstraps

Edit: btw, those godless evil commies play Soccer!!! was a plot point I believe

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tiberius Christ posted:

"Peace Through Strength"

It's the GOP slogan since Reagan.

So yes.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i wouldn't read too much (hurr) into the treasurer having Wizard's First Rule. There are lots of people who might recommend it to someone looking for new books.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

100% of conservative outage is nothing more than "Democrats did a thing and Democrats are evil". That's how they see the world.

I once had a Christian conservative friend back in college that I would have religious discussions with back when I was still a believer. Once we were talking about "the problem of evil" and the way he explained how he solves it is "God is good, anything God does is good even if we think it is evil. Something is only evil when you act against God's will like the Devil." That's how the conservatives feel about politics except replace God with GOP and Devil with DNC.

So literally
"It's ok when it's MY guy doing it."

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i wouldn't read too much (hurr) into the treasurer having Wizard's First Rule. There are lots of people who might recommend it to someone looking for new books.

Yeah, it's an easy mistake to make. The first book is mostly generic fantasy, although not very good generic fantasy, with only a few :stonk: moments. Now if you see someone reading the later books, that is a sign for concern/intervention/severing all ties.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nah, the series is pretty loving terrible from the start.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiberius Christ posted:

"Peace Through Strength"

It's part of HYDRA's motto from Marvel.

You know, the fake nazis who were so evil that the real nazis kicked them out.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This comic sucks so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

We've actually had talks in that thread about how long into the series it takes to realize you're reading terrible objectivist propaganda. Consensus is that book one is enough plain, WHT knock-off fantasy that you could plausibly miss it.

If you get to the statue that converts everyone to objectivism just by looking at it, then you're either really dense or sixteen. So really dense.

• Locked thread