Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would say a professional has a securities license but it's a subjective word obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

can you not answer the question?
i'll spell it out explicitly for you

i started trading with a very small amount of money, made some profit and enjoyed it, so i added more capital. the total amount of initial capital was a small fraction of my overall investment capital. since then i've traded in my spare time to earn extra money. it's been more than worth the time i've put into it, i enjoy doing it, and the risk-reward fits into my overall risk tolerance. it's basically a hobby for me with the perk of being profitable.

quote:

there is no qualifying element to being a professional that you cannot make more money from other sources
that is a true fact

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you still avoid answering that simple question. several posts avoiding it and still even now no yes or no. and its because you know calling yourself a professional trader is stretching things just too far. you became accustomed to calling yourself a trader since buying bitcoin and that no longer felt ridiculous but you intuitively understand saying youre a professional trader would just magnify the bullshit. you havent become accustomed to it. you understand that it sounds ridiculous
now take that point back to the start of this conversation where i was saying you can sound ridiculous calling yourself a trader for buying bitcoin when youre talking to people who arent into bitcoin. get it?

you do yourself a favor by just saying you invest in bitcoin/cryptocoin like a normal person would say it
a simple point to make. dont know why you fought against it so hard for so long
for more info on cults and insular language consult your local library

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
You buy a bitcoin like a beanie baby and hope it appreciates in value due to its perceived rarity.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

to make another running analogy

if i tell someone about how i run a few times a week and am training for a 10K and hope to beat my personal best time, do i have to explicitly state "i am not a professional runner" for them to understand that i'm a hobby runner?

likewise, if i tell you that i started trading a small amount and then added some more and now trade in my spare time to earn extra money, do i have to explicitly state "i am not a professional trader" for you to understand that i'm a hobby trader?

before talking to you, i would think the answer is obviously "no"

i don't say that i invest in bitcoin because trading and investing are two distinct ideas and sets of behavior. what i do is trading

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/12/difference-investing-trading.asp

quote:

Investing and trading are two very different methods of attempting to profit in the financial markets. The goal of investing is to gradually build wealth over an extended period of time through the buying and holding of a portfolio of stocks, baskets of stocks, mutual funds, bonds and other investment instruments. Investors often enhance their profits through compounding, or reinvesting any profits and dividends into additional shares of stock. Investments are often held for a period of years, or even decades, taking advantage of perks like interest, dividends and stock splits along the way. While markets inevitably fluctuate, investors will "ride out" the downtrends with the expectation that prices will rebound and any losses will eventually be recovered. Investors are typically more concerned with market fundamentals, such as price/earnings ratios and management forecasts.

Trading, on the other hand, involves the more frequent buying and selling of stock, commodities, currency pairs or other instruments, with the goal of generating returns that outperform buy-and-hold investing. While investors may be content with a 10 to 15% annual return, traders might seek a 10% return each month. Trading profits are generated through buying at a lower price and selling at a higher price within a relatively short period of time. The reverse is also true: trading profits are made by selling at a higher price and buying to cover at a lower price (known as "selling short") to profit in falling markets. Where buy-and-hold investors wait out less profitable positions, traders must make profits (or take losses) within a specified period of time, and often use a protective stop loss order to automatically close out losing positions at a predetermined price level. Traders often employ technical analysis tools, such as moving averages and stochastic oscillators, to find high-probability trading setups.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

if i tell someone about how i run a few times a week and am training for a 10K and hope to beat my personal best time, do i have to explicitly state "i am not a professional runner" for them to understand that i'm a hobby runner?
ahem. hey goofball do you not realize that you did explicitly state that you are not a professional runner when you first mentioned running even though you have stated numerous times since then that there is no point in doing so relative to running
and yet when compared and contrasted with trading you have trade:trader::run:runner. then you add an explicit not-professional to running and left the trade side empty which in the context of a comparison implicitly signifies a difference

Uranium 235 posted:

i buy and trade things on an exchange, the literal definition of trading, so i'm a trader. i also go running sometimes so i'm a runner. don't mean i'm a professional runner and no one would ever think i'm claiming to be one when i call myself a runner
part of your reptile bitcoin brain had already caught on to the idea of being a professional trader and the normal part of your brain dismissed it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

to make another running analogy

likewise, if i tell you that i started trading a small amount and then added some more and now trade in my spare time to earn extra money, do i have to explicitly state "i am not a professional trader" for you to understand that i'm a hobby trader?

before talking to you, i would think the answer is obviously "no"

i don't say that i invest in bitcoin because trading and investing are two distinct ideas and sets of behavior. what i do is trading

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/12/difference-investing-trading.asp

You are a professional if someone else pays for your work

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

ahem. hey goofball do you not realize that you did explicitly state that you are not a professional runner when you first mentioned running even though you have stated numerous times since then that there is no point in doing so relative to running
and yet when compared and contrasted with trading you have trade:trader::run:runner. then you add an explicit not-professional to running and left the trade side empty which in the context of a comparison implicitly signifies a difference
so you think i used the runner analogy to say that i AM a professional trader? that makes no sense

thank you for proving that internet pedants are dumb as rocks (that's a simile)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

You are a professional if someone else pays for your work
no one pays me for trading
no one pays me for running
i'm not a professional runner

gary oldmans diary what do you think this means about my trading? professional or not? apparently if i don't explicitly complete this analogy, gary oldmans diary can't figure it out, like a rudimentary AI pondering a paradox and frying its circuits

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

so you think i used the runner analogy to say that i AM a professional trader? that makes no sense

thank you for proving that internet pedants are dumb as rocks (that's a simile)
part of your mind had already become preoccupied with correct definitions
the alternative is you saying a thing that happens to by stunning coincidence happen to fit into a comparison that you have adamantly stated over and over you would never say in normal speech just for no reason at all. your hands on the keyboard were possessed

hey that is a simile. youre 1 for 3

very disappointing that you dont seem to understand how explicits and implicits work in the context of comparisons. its very easy but you keep being confused. on the bright side maybe youre at least just being disingenuous and arent actually too dumb to understand it

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 10, 2017

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

it hink you will find that you are in fact the dumb one

- a good rear end poster

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
wait is your new thing going to be that arent such things as professional traders who work for themselves? is that the new route youre going to take? i will never get tired of watching your answer change as you try to dodge reality one way after another
the part that is weird is how much you want to call yourself a trader for handling bitcoin. its not that distinguished of a title

Uranium 235 posted:

it hink you will find that you are in fact the dumb one

- a good rear end poster
:tipshat: rear end poster you dont think highly enough of yourself

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

wait is your new thing going to be that arent such things as professional traders who work for themselves? is that the new route youre going to take? i will never get tired of watching your answer change as you try to dodge reality one way after another
no my opinion of a professional trader is still one who primarily earns a living from trading, or who at least relies on income from trading to pay for essentials. but i accept that the definition of a professional trader is subjective and not worth arguing over. in replying to fried watermelon that was it was not my intention to endorse his definition, but rather to use his definition to shitpost and call you dumb for not understanding the obvious

quote:

:tipshat: rear end poster you dont think highly enough of yourself
it was an analosimilaphor

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

to shitpost and call you dumb for not understanding the obvious
same to you. welcome finally to the fold brother :):hf::)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

more like shitcoins

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I'll have what john mcafee's having

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

but it is a good :downs:

Not according to the definition of "good" that you posted

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Not according to the definition of "good" that you posted
i beg to defer

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's a feelgood bitcoin story

CEO who presided over Mt. Gox’s collapse could end up with massive profits

quote:

To date, Karpelès has denied any wrongdoing and lamented Mt. Gox's 2014 massive breach and rapid fall. After the site went bankrupt in March 2014, Karpelès told the public and a Japanese bankruptcy court that he had suddenly discovered that cache of 200,000 bitcoins. At present exchange rates, those are worth approximately $1.3 billion, and they comprise the majority of Mt. Gox’s remaining assets.

As Ars reported in March 2014, Mt. Gox said previously that it had lost 750,000 bitcoins (at the time, worth around $412.5 million) belonging to customers and more than 100,000 bitcoins (at the time, worth around $55 million) of its own money. The site suddenly shut down in February 2014 after weeks of sustained DDoS attacks and "transaction malleability" problems, which led the company to halt withdrawals entirely. (That problem was patched shortly after Mt. Gox collapsed.)

At current exchange rates, 750,000 bitcoins are worth nearly $5 billion, at about $6,500 per bitcoin. By comparison, if they are paid out at the approximate April 2014 rate of around $440 per bitcoin (or its equivalent in yen), it would only yield $330 million.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that domain name always makes me smile

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
is bitcoin finally good?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

i beg to defer

Seriously, read your own screenshot you illiterate buffoon. You meant to say that bitcoin is a good in the economic sense, but your screenshot didn't include the economic definition of "good". If you expand the Google definition, it's one of the terms that you don't show in the screenshot

e: lol I didn't even notice at first that you wrote "defer" instead of "differ", going to leave my "differ" interpretation regardless

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 11, 2017

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Uranium 235 posted:

i beg to defer
Defer to what? Or whom?

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i work for financial institutions and the bitcoin poison is in full effect. they think we nerds are onto something and i don't have the heart to tell them they're excited over dutch tulips

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

actually i do tell them. i tell anyone who will listen

good people try to prevent other people from being scammed

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God I get a boner just thinking about everyone's 401k being 5% cryptos. Ferrari Laferrari here I come.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mandator posted:

i work for financial institutions and the bitcoin poison is in full effect. they think we nerds are onto something and i don't have the heart to tell them they're excited over dutch tulips

Bitcoin!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Seriously, read your own screenshot you illiterate buffoon. You meant to say that bitcoin is a good in the economic sense, but your screenshot didn't include the economic definition of "good". If you expand the Google definition, it's one of the terms that you don't show in the screenshot

e: lol I didn't even notice at first that you wrote "defer" instead of "differ", going to leave my "differ" interpretation regardless

oh wow i didn't notice thank ewe for pointing that out

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

vortmax posted:

Defer to what? Or whom?
gary oldmans dictionary

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

gary oldmans dictionary
eh theyre both books but it doesnt really fit. peep this: gary oldmans glossary

drat i do good work

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

drat i do good work

bitcoin!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

drat i do good work
gary oldmans model train instruction manual

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Minimalist Program posted:

I think everybody who has strong opinion on the internet coin, needs to stop having strong opinions about it, as it is a retarded and silly phenomenon and symptom of late stage capitalism.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Bitcoin is headed back down to $6000
But don't worry! Everyone will see its low, low price and go into a buying frenzy, pushing it back up again and over $10,000!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Bitcoin is headed back down to $6000
But don't worry! Everyone will see its low, low price and go into a buying frenzy, pushing it back up again and over $10,000!

yesss :worship:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Hurray! The thread title makes sense again.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

gary oldmans model train instruction manual
aww and i thought you were gonna be cool but instead it turns out you youre actually upset about not understanding how to read comparisons

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

quote:

aww and i thought you were gonna be cool but instead it turns out you youre actually upset about not understanding how to read comparisons
i found this entry for "i'm not mad you're mad" in gary oldmans thesaurus

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

i found this entry for "i'm not mad you're mad" in gary oldmans thesaurus
youre a defensive fella. sorry you havent taken to understanding anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I woke up this morning and checked my facebook. Apparently my cousin is a bitcoin billionaire. He is already a millionarie from selling his tech company he made in college. He actually a really smart and nice dude. I'm really happy for him that he isn't one of the sob stories of bitcoin. However bitcoins are so loving stupid, I wish he had become a billionarie by ripping off the poor like other billionaries.

Also I hope he isn't the Mt. Gox owner but that would be hilarious.