Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Speaking of the whole Mewni monster conflict, I noticed nobody at the dance raised a stink about Tom's mom being a huge gently caress off demon while Eclipsa just eloping with a monster is still spoken as an unforgivable sin from Moon even after Buff Frog helped fight against Toffee. Maybe they'll go somewhere with that weird double standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I think word of god might've mentioned demons are considered separate from monsters

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I think word of god might've mentioned demons are considered separate from monsters

Even so, you've got plenty of "monstrous"-looking races that are considered equal to Mewmans (what really makes Princess Jaggs or Prince Kelpbottom not monsters?). It's similar to how racial categories in real life can be pretty arbitrary.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That's not even getting into how Ludo's family is still in some kind of good graces with Moon even after all of his antics. They even had their own castle before he took it over. Probably has something to do with blueblood connections as opposed to any real classification of what kind of monsters are okay to discriminate against.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Shitenshi posted:

That's not even getting into how Ludo's family is still in some kind of good graces with Moon even after all of his antics. They even had their own castle before he took it over. Probably has something to do with blueblood connections as opposed to any real classification of what kind of monsters are okay to discriminate against.

I'll be honest, if they were as bad as Ludo made them out to be (which may be unreliable narration in his telling his stories about them, but he seems too straightforward a person to lie about it intentionally) they should have seen Ludo's outburst coming. They went on vacation and he changed the locks - that's all, at least based on how they described it. They either weren't planning on taking him or didn't notice that he wasn't there with them which is pretty damning either way, so I'm kind of sympathizing with Ludo on that conflict.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be honest, if they were as bad as Ludo made them out to be (which may be unreliable narration in his telling his stories about them, but he seems too straightforward a person to lie about it intentionally) they should have seen Ludo's outburst coming. They went on vacation and he changed the locks - that's all, at least based on how they described it. They either weren't planning on taking him or didn't notice that he wasn't there with them which is pretty damning either way, so I'm kind of sympathizing with Ludo on that conflict.

I'm more talking about how Ludo has targeted and attacked Star god knows how many times while Moon doesn't seem to hold it against his family by association. Seems kinda fishy they're given a pass while monsters (and Eclipsa) in general are still discriminated against. And they outright admitted they wanted to toughen him up, so for all his faults, at least it's not an innate character flaw. Look at the way he tried to connect with Glossaryck and Toffee as father figures.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm enjoying Eclipsa so far, but she's gonna have to be really on her A-game to Eclipse (:v:) Ludo and Toffee's performances from last season. ATM I'm enjoying Eclipsa a lot, but Ludo is still a personal favourite. We'll see how her story unfolds though, she's only had one episode to breathe while Ludo had 2 seasons of build up and a lot of screen time to play with.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
all i know about eclipsa so far is her voice actor is really good

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Eclipsa owns, give her more screen time

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm able to cope with the lack of Eclipsa screentime by thinking of these episodes as akin to the townie episodes of Steven Universe. And as plot intensive as this show can get, I was never under the impression that it was supposed to have one big story arc, save for Toffee's single-handed beatdown of the Magical High Commission and Star being yanked from Earth for her safety.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Pakled posted:

Even so, you've got plenty of "monstrous"-looking races that are considered equal to Mewmans (what really makes Princess Jaggs or Prince Kelpbottom not monsters?). It's similar to how racial categories in real life can be pretty arbitrary.

I wouldn't put it past the creators to do something like that. We don't know all the lore of the Star Vs world but it seems like the monsters are just an assortment of humanoid animal races. That'd be cool if they went with it.

We're not sure how much of the "monsters" label is a cultural thing.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
They technically updated the intro to include the finished wand, so if showing Ludo-Toffee over and over again is a fakeout to hide that they're going to make the Mewni establishment the main villains as opposed to someone like Eclipsa who everyone would be thinking they'd go, I'm down with it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Look, it's all quite simple. Monsters are the creatures the Mewmans displaced to build their kingdoms and grow their corn. Demons, Pigeons, Waterfolk, Pony Heads, and whatever Princess Jaggs is (I figure she's from the Jaggy Mountains if nothing else) are not Monsters because they were not displaced. So it's okay to date them and intermarry because they don't have centuries of bad blood between them.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also, I wouldn't worry about the slow pace so far, since the writers have proven that they know how to pace buildup-to-payoff in a satisfying way. Toffee was a great villain partly because they took their time building him up as a threat over multiple seasons, from usurping Ludo's castle to taking over Ludo's body to (briefly) ruling the kingdom.

The whole story had a logical Point A-to-Point-B plan, so by the time Battle For Mewni came around the stakes were well-established and we got an awesome cathartic moment with the good guys triumphing.

I'm pretty sure they're setting up a similar thing with Eclipsa, with the added wrinkle of her trying to win Star over. It's still very early in the season and the show has earned the benefit of the doubt, so I'm real excited even if not much has happened yet.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

If Eclipsa ends up getting a "villain" role, I wager it'll be more well-intentioned than malicious. Mewni's done bad poo poo, time to overthrow and help the monsters get back their land.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd blame the pacing issues on the hiatus. Sure, maybe it feels off the show to return on such a subdued note, but remember that we're only three episodes out from the biggest climax they show's seen to date. I doubt the writers and other production staff get any say in when the show airs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if Eclipsa does win Star over and her family drags Marco into this to try and talk sense into her.

It's the only way I see Marco being relevant to this plot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Demoncism was... a bit weird. I agree with Pony Head that the seahorse was more fun before, though guessing he was destined for a one-note personality either way. (and Pony Head's taste in boys is probably not to be trusted)

And as for Ludo's family, much like real life, classism often trumps racism, at least privately for the ruling classes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Oh man, Marco and Tom awkwardness right from moment one of today's episode, although it doesn't hold a candle to the Marco-Star awkwardness of him showing up almost literally out of the blue. Also, Sir Lavabo returns and we get a brief cameo by Shmebulock during this season's Quest Buy episode.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Whheelp I read the most recent episode synopsis and my desire to keep going with this show is pretty much tanked :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
On the one hand, it's unfortunate that they broke up Jackie and Marco before Jackie could really get more character spotlights, but on the other hand it's understandable why they did. After all, even at the height of their relationship, Marco was never 100% focused on Jackie, nor was he ever truly himself-since even with Jackie constantly encouraging him to relax and have fun, Marco never interacted with Jackie the same way he did with Star. Instead he was stiff, passive, and afraid to make mistakes-but worst of all, he concealed just how much Star meant to him, which was the final nail in the coffin.

So while it was sad to see-since, in spite of all that, they were cute together, and Jackie was criminally underused-it also makes sense that things went down the way they did, and the episode itself was done very well. I do hope that Jackie comes back at some point though-she was a fun character, and there was a lot of unfilled potential.

As to Star getting back together with Tom, it's a similar case where, even though I'm not thrilled they went that route, the way they developed it made sense for both their characters, so it's hard to really be opposed. After all, the reason that Star broke up with Tom in the first place was because he was angry and obsessive, and his arc ever since Blood Moon Ball has been about learning to control his anger and to let Star go. As a result, it's easy to see why Star would give him a second chance, especially since she thought she was never going to see Marco again (And that he was with Jackie in any case). Was it a good decision? No, but she's an emotionally confused teen, and emotionally confused teens aren't exactly known for their rational decision-making skills. But, hey, give them time and they'll figure it all out. (Or burn down the kingdom, one of the two)

Edit: Also, another poster for Demonicism from Ariel V.H, and today's episode summaries:

Lint Catcher: Knight of the wash, Sir Lavabo, gets a familiar squire
Trial by Squire: Star prepares for the Midnight Warrior Blowout Sale at Quest Buy.

Oh, and some behind the scenes stuff for Sophmore Slump:

-Some boards of Jackie and Marco's last date from Sabrina Cotugno
-Brian Kim's heart-wrenching soundtrack from the end of the episode (man this show has some phenomenal music)

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 9, 2017

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But, hey, give them time and they'll figure it all out.

But watching people figure it out has never been compelling to me.

Granted, this show has earned a bit of faith from us, no?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I really hope they do something clever with Eclipsa. I'll be disappointed if halfway through the season there's big turn where she does something manically evil.

Because right now she's had something like 45 seconds of screen time and already I like her more than anyone else in the show.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What does it say about this show that, four episodes later, this comic seems more likely instead of less?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Whiz Palace posted:

But watching people figure it out has never been compelling to me.

Granted, this show has earned a bit of faith from us, no?

Yeah, and that's honestly what I find so fascinating about the show. I mean, I typically hate these kinds of plots, and in Gravity Falls especially the "Dipper's Crush on Wendy" plot actively dragged down the show. But in Star up to this point, the relationships between Star, Tom, Marco, and Jackie have been written in a way that feels both honest and compelling. It's been impressive as hell thus far, and I'm excited to see where it eventually all goes.

Edit:

Skippy McPants posted:

I really hope they do something clever with Eclipsa. I'll be disappointed if halfway through the season there's big turn where she does something manically evil.

Because right now she's had something like 45 seconds of screen time and already I like her more than anyone else in the show.

Honestly it'd be more surprising if she did turn out to be evil at this point.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 9, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kind of liked how the Quest-Buy episode ended. :3: The final scene wasn't just a cut Marco/Star moment, but also established that not only are the squires under a lot of pressure they're only as bad as their knights, who are assholes who don't appreciate them.

Also the Eclipsa gag in the prior episode was amusing too. "Real Dragon Chain. Really makes a girl feel free."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 9, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Honestly it'd be more surprising if she did turn out to be evil at this point.

Ideally, I'd like to see them follow a line where, say, Eclipsa isn't evil but more carelessly selfish and self-interested. Like Star's worst qualities taken to the nth degree. We saw a little bit of that this episode with her matter of factly mentioned that Star's problem would be solved because Squiring for the laundry knight would kill Macro.

So, less an outright farcical evil and more someone who's worldview provides a legitimate risk and temptation for Star. The best villains are the ones who serve as a dark mirror to the protagonist.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm liking how chill Eclipsa is, it's like she's turned Star's selfishness so high it's caused an overflow error, as Star would not be this calm herself under similar circumstances. I wouldn't be surprised if she's trying to put of a front of being "OK" with her imprisonment because she knows that trying to escape would only fuel Moon's fire towards her and is hoping she'll show her leniency, considering (unless she really is that selfish) it's probably killing her not to know how her husband's doing. She's probably using wit and dry sarcasm as a coping mechanism to deal with a situation that would be stressful for anyone.

Part of me is hoping to see little one-on-one scenes with her and other characters like Marco.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 9, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
All of Eclipsa's dialogue is gearing up for an "I never lied to you," reveal. Whenever Star asks her to voluntarily limit her freedom to act, she usually ignores the request and changes the subject.

I expect there's something more important about the Rose garden than merely the view.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eclipsa's going to turn out to be the heavy because Star went to bat for her immediately.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Madurai posted:

Eclipsa's going to turn out to be the heavy because Star went to bat for her immediately.

Oh, she's the new primary antagonist, no question. I just want her to have more complexity and nuance than Toffee, who served as a good introductory bad guy but didn't really teach Star any lessons about herself.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 9, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
http://hug-bees.tumblr.com/post/167321996807/kristengish-fun-fact-at-the-end-of-sophomore

:allears:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

a real missed opportunity imo

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Add in some heavy stakes that force them to grow up in a hurry and a rotating cast that regularly experience permanent injuries and deaths and I'd watch a spin-off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Nah those two goobers are sorta meh. It should've been Marco, Jackie and, Janna all going to Mewni, but getting deposited in some completely different part and while Star is dealing with Eclipsa, Marco and his gang are smack dab in the middle of monsterville as we see how the other half lives.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
By the way, I don't recommend jumping down a flight of stairs and landing in full splits. It's painful.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah I'll expect Mewni is gonna be a return to form, but I'm already feeling the lack of Earth.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
So it looks like the roles have been switched. Now Marco is the exchange student trying to better himself while Star is dealing with dating problems.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing more of the Mewni denizens.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I already want to see more of Higgs and her unfortunate situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm not sure if I like how the show's progressing. After the Battle For Mewni the show's lost its thread and honestly although it's cool they're doing a roles reversed thing with Star and Marco, I don't like how quickly people are falling out, getting together.

As for the Mewni setting this season, I could do without it but that's just a thing of taste. I don't like the Medieval Britain aesthetic (knights and whathaveyou)

Also I'm not terribly sympathetic to Higgs. The show having Higgs screw around with Marco for ten minutes then treat Marco like a bad guy when he makes her plant on her face was a bad evocation of a trope I dislike, where the bullied nerd gets revenge on the bully and everyone treats the nerd like a bad guy because he hurt someone's feelings.