Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People like theglow that have played this game for literally hundreds upon hundreds of hours should be able to beat it reliably. That doesn't mean the game is easy. That means the game is a properly designed single-player experience. Single-player games can't constantly scale in difficulty to match your skill like multiplayer games do through matchmaking. If Crawl is actually a fairly designed game, then a skilled player should be able to beat it 100% of the time if they play properly and make all the correct decisions. People like that are very much the exception though. Even the best players don't win every single game. Its especially baffling that a thoroughly average player like Dpeg thinks the game needs to be more difficult.

I think the way you are supposed to make the game more "difficult" for veteran players at this point is to offer them new challenges. New species to win with. New gods to play with. Adding more options we can pursue from the start of the game gives us new ways to play it that we aren't familiar with. Mastering those new additions may not be difficult (understanding a gargoyle is much easier than an octopode), but its always a new experience for us to learn. The important thing here is that adding this content doesn't make the game harder for new players to pick up at all. Its a way to make things more enjoyable for everyone.

Devs are currently of the position that bad content is worse than no content. To a certain extent I agree; if you go back to the ancient versions of Crawl, there was tons of pointless content that didn't add anything to the game and was poorly designed. That's almost entirely been pruned out though. At this point I feel the game is very streamlined and would benefit far more from the addition or revision of content rather than the removal.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

People like theglow that have played this game for literally hundreds upon hundreds of hours should be able to beat it reliably. That doesn't mean the game is easy. That means the game is a properly designed single-player experience. Single-player games can't constantly scale in difficulty to match your skill like multiplayer games do through matchmaking. If Crawl is actually a fairly designed game, then a skilled player should be able to beat it 100% of the time if they play properly and make all the correct decisions. People like that are very much the exception though. Even the best players don't win every single game. Its especially baffling that a thoroughly average player like Dpeg thinks the game needs to be more difficult.

Winning 100% of the games you play is fine, but the important question to answer off of that is, 'Why'. If it's because given perfect knowledge of the ruleset of the game, the decision tree is narrow, then it's a problem. If it's because despite a wide and ambiguous decision tree, the player tends to make good decisions regardless, then that's very healthy as it would be a strong indicator of depth in the systems. It is my opinion however that the decision tree is narrow most of the time.

quote:

Adding more options we can pursue from the start of the game gives us new ways to play it that we aren't familiar with

No matter what you'd do to the systems, this will have to be part of it to some degree, but to make this work for a game that's around for literally more than a decade, the systems themselves have to offer a lot of depth.

For an extreme example, we can look at Destiny 2: You can add a dozen more classes to the game, but that doesn't fix the issue that veteran players will be able to explore the entire pool of possibilities with those classes in a short amount of time - the support systems just don't offer anything to build on. Conversely, adding a character to a game like Dota 2 has wild implications and mastery of that one hero could represent months of effort. It's not a totally fair comparison because Dota 2 is multiplayer and gets a lot out of that by itself as you mentioned, but a single player equivalent might be something like Path of Exile. Adding a handful of skill and support gems to a game can completely change the way people think about the game, experimenting and discovering new stuff for months if the gems are especially well designed. The new gems aren't what make that work though, it's the supporting systems that enable all of that. It's that kind of system design that games like Crawl would do well to embrace.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well you're flat out wrong about Crawl having a limited decision tree because the entire appeal of it, to me, is that it has a very broad one. There are tons of different options you can pursue for your character in Crawl. From the start of the game you specialize with your background, but from there most species can branch into tons of different paths. You have many different options for equipment, spells, and gods that can completely change how you approach situations in the game. The RNG element ensures that while the general progression of all Crawl games is usually similar, you will face different challenges on each character.

This is what makes Crawl good to me; the vast amount of content you can explore and play in different ways. Usually the counterpoint to this is that some of these options are "suboptimal" and thus should never be taken. The problem with this view point is that proponents of it grossly exaggerate how bad these options actually are and usually have no experience with it themselves. Also Crawl is in a unique position as a roguelike with an RNG component; you don't always have every choice available to you. Sometimes you have to go with an option that would be considered mediocre in another context but is your best choice at the moment.

Crawl only has a narrow decision tree if you ignore all that and grossly simplify the game.

Not that any of this is actually relevant since the changes the devs have made in recent versions, for the most part, have not expanded this hypothetical decision tree at all! They've actually aimed to reduce it by removing content. As an example removing rMut from the game did not expand my decision making at all; it narrowed it by giving me less options to deal with malmutate.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 10, 2017

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you're flat out wrong about Crawl having a limited decision tree because the entire appeal of it, to me, is that it has a very broad one. There are tons of different options you can pursue for your character in Crawl.

I think we are talking about different things :P.

When I say 'decision tree', I'm talking about a single decision you make that optimizes your chance of success given a specific circumstance. I'm not talking about choosing a style of play. I'm talking about whether or not you want to take another whack at Sigmund or whether you think your chance of survival would be better reading a TP vs quaffing Heal Wounds vs something else.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
]Sure in the context of Sigmund standing in front of you about to kill you, your decision tree may be very narrow. But that's ignoring the wide array of actions that led up to that moment. What did you do when you first saw Sigmund? Did you weigh your odds against him in combat and engage him? Did you block LOS during his advance? Did you try to avoid him entirely? Were you doing something that generates noise to attract his attention? All of these things interact with each other to form the gameplay of Crawl. Ultimately we're just bumping sprites into each other until one dies, but the tapestry of choices and options behind it is what makes it interesting.

I don't think this is something the devs can change either without completely rebuilding the structure of the game, and I don't think they are aiming to do that either. Still, even in the context of this example, the devs recent changes have not done anything to broaden the decision tree here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right - at it's most verbose level, every action you take is a result of reaching some conclusion at the end of a discrete decision tree. Obviously in actual play, players will take 'bulk actions' and not evaluate literally every move, but the concept is one that's important to frame correctly and all that.

The absolute easiest way to do this is to tie actions to resources. Casting actually does this exceptionally well right now. Melee does not and doing so without introducing some pretty radical changes would be a neat trick. It's an idea where talking about the abstract is a lot easier than actually proposing strong solutions to the problem, but I think there is room to make it happen.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bring Back Boulder Beetles

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's that D&D monster that is a spider with a human torso?

We should add that as a species. But instead of a spider its a boulder beetle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Centaurs should be able to wear two pairs of boots

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The charging mechanic was fun and made for interesting interactions. If you want to make it a bull or something, fine whatever, but having to jump out of the way of something, especially if you were already engaged in a fight, was fun. Orb weavers got left in even though they're just a more irritating version of the same idea.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

When I say 'decision tree', I'm talking about a single decision you make that optimizes your chance of success given a specific circumstance. I'm not talking about choosing a style of play. I'm talking about whether or not you want to take another whack at Sigmund or whether you think your chance of survival would be better reading a TP vs quaffing Heal Wounds vs something else.

Internet Kraken posted:

the wide array of actions that led up to that moment. What did you do when you first saw Sigmund? Did you weigh your odds against him in combat and engage him? Did you block LOS during his advance? Did you try to avoid him entirely? Were you doing something that generates noise to attract his attention? All of these things interact with each other to form the gameplay of Crawl. Ultimately we're just bumping sprites into each other until one dies, but the tapestry of choices and options behind it is what makes it interesting.

This is some rich conversation. I think that autoexplore exacerbates the problem of shallow/deep decision tree stuff: IK is absolutely correct about the importance of all the actions that lead up to a confrontation with a deadly threat, and autoexplore has a tendency to drop players in situations that are several crucial turns deeper into bad poo poo than manual exploration. Even once you've learned to control encounters, you have to learn to recognize when you're about to overextend yourself -- which happens several turns before an inexperienced player would recognize they've done it. I think crawl balance assumes that players have already learned how to read encounters and tries to add challenge to the parts of the encounters that come afterwards. This is especially brutal for characters who fight in the open/away from staircases/near unexplored terrain. Think about what happens when someone posts a YASD from one of those three situations: veteran crawl players are always ready to leap out of the woodwork and say "you dumb gently caress, look at the bad decisions you made."

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

What's that D&D monster that is a spider with a human torso?

We should add that as a species. But instead of a spider its a boulder beetle.

are you saying arachne should become a boulder beetle

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Haven't played in months but all the bitching made me load up 17.2 again local. Had a FoFi on lvl 1 found a ring of slaying +6, took one step, fell in a shaft, landed on d2 next to Grinder, paralyzed, dead.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Scaramouche posted:

Haven't played in months but all the bitching made me load up 17.2 again local. Had a FoFi on lvl 1 found a ring of slaying +6, took one step, fell in a shaft, landed on d2 next to Grinder, paralyzed, dead.

Game is too easy, :rip:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Scaramouche posted:

How'd you get paralyzed as a formicid? Ants are supposed to be immune to it.

someone awful. posted:

are you saying arachne should become a boulder beetle

I mean if you want Arcachne to roll over you that's your business.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Extremely well-reasoned and well-written post about Game Difficulty

Posts like this are single-handedly the best thing about this thread. My thanks for making the effort!

I think you may have forgotten a crucial aspect about Crawl difficulty - RNG. I'll try and make a more detailed post later, but the short of it is that I think that one of the main reasons why super-vets find it orders of magnitude easier than newbies is because there's a ton of RNG filling your System Knowledge bucket. Which the game does very little to expose / goes out of its way to hide.

Super-vets intuit the presence and extent of each RNG roll far more than a newbie or even a semi-vet, and therefore can make far better decisions turn-by-turn. Especially crucially, they can spot with far higher accuracy when they're safe and when they're suddenly in danger of death.

Imagine if the game automatically force_more messaged whenever you inputted an action and there was a > 0% chance you'd die on your next turn after that action was resolved. I'd bet good money the newbie win rate would be MUCH higher. The super-vet win rate would increase as well, but not by nearly as much.

(I'm not actually proposing that btw!)

RNG by itself isn't a bad thing, but when it has the potential to be unreasonably swingy, and the extent of its swinginess is deliberately hidden, and is so prevalent, you can't fault people for thinking the game's unreasonably difficult.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I think you could argue execution is a part of turn based games like roguelikes, but it's entirely down to how crufty the control system is. Crawl has one of the best Interfaces I've seen in a roguelike - compare to nethack's mess of extended commands, adom's amazingly obtuse inventory system, or dwarf fortress' well, anything.

Being able to hit the right command without consulting a manual is a fairly big part of the success rate. To me, dark souls has this problem too, I can't remember all the various combos of controller buttons to do various things. ;)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I️ have hundreds of hours in this game and still have a below 1% winrate despite having all the knowledge to play optimally, because playing optimally in this game involves a lot of behavior I️ find boring as hell (and Hell). My preferred play style is mashing tab as a fighter of Gozag because I️ find the loot roulette to be very fun. It’s rare that a god makes me break from Gozag. Usk was one of those gods. WJC was another. Maybe what I️ really want is a crawl themed clicker game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my winrate is better than average but I still throw a lot because I play crawl as a casual chill game for when I don't wanna do anything too involved(aka, the kinda fastpaced not turnbased games I usually play)

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Why is this game worth almost 2 billion points?

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/edsrzf/morgue-edsrzf-20160320-213950.txt

And the player:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/edsrzf.html

And for what it's worth, I still enjoy playing Crawl. I do miss things that have been removed, but overall I thing the game is significantly better than it was a few years ago. The Tomb changes are the ones I probably disagree with the most. Extended is such a slog and Tomb has always been the worst of it. Greater Mummies are loving awful. Without being able to stairdance to get away from their summons, I'll stick to 14 rune games from here on out.

Crawl has become much more accessible to new players over the last few years. The learning curve isn't so steep. Having all of the info about monsters, items, and deities available in game without having to navigate the help menus is probably the best set of changes made.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Weren't the Tomb changes allegedly part of a larger overall, where removing stair dancing was phase 1, and then phase 2 was never planned out so gently caress it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaodai posted:

Weren't the Tomb changes allegedly part of a larger overall, where removing stair dancing was phase 1, and then phase 2 was never planned out so gently caress it?

I don't think the dev responsible ever said it was intended to be part of a larger rework. Now, you might assume it would be a part of a larger rework because its such a lovely change that doesn't address the core issues that made Tomb so miserable. If everyone was resorting to the boring strategy of excessive stairdancing to clear Tomb, that's indicative of a major problem with Tomb itself. The solution there isn't to just remove the stairdancing, but rather to actually address the things that make it so miserable. The repetitive enemies, the unavoidable curses, the insane damage that can only be negated by very specific builds.

Of course you could just ignore all that and make the branch harder without actually making it any more fun. That's always an option. A really dumb one, but that's the one they picked.

EDIT: To be perfectly clear, I do think removing stairdancing improves the design of Tomb but it doesn't actually make it morefun. ]That's actually a huge deal to me because extended is entirely optional, so if it isn't fun to do then why do it? Well you could do it for the challenge but Tomb's narrow list of enemies that deal unavoidable torment damage means that the number of builds that can handle it is pretty narrow, and removing the safety of stairdancing narrows that list down even more. I'm someone that liked to regularly run 15 rune games and Tomb was always a part I hated, but it was at least a relatively safe clear if you knew what to do. Now its just so deadly on top of still being tedious that I can't muster the energy to do it anymore.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 12, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think the dev responsible ever said it was intended to be part of a larger rework. Now, you might assume it would be a part of a larger rework because its such a lovely change that doesn't address the core issues that made Tomb so miserable. If everyone was resorting to the boring strategy of excessive stairdancing to clear Tomb, that's indicative of a major problem with Tomb itself. The solution there isn't to just remove the stairdancing, but rather to actually address the things that make it so miserable. The repetitive enemies, the unavoidable curses, the insane damage that can only be negated by very specific builds.

Of course you could just ignore all that and make the branch harder without actually making it any more fun. That's always an option. A really dumb one, but that's the one they picked.

Oh. I gave them too much credit. :saddowns:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

So the key to making ghouls fun is taking chei and using weapons. I found a really dumb scimitar around the time I decided I wanted swords over claws, and never looked back it was plenty good to kill 12-16-headed hydrae with. In Slime I found Gong, which combined with chei made Leech a better choice for Vaults/Depths. A Ziggurat provided boots of the assassin, to get some nice distraction stabs (from Haunt/DChan).

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/rchandra/morgue-rchandra-20171112-085859.txt

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.21-a0-440-g28109cb (console) character file.

2417528 rchandra the Warrior (level 27, 230/244 HPs)
             Began as a Ghoul Warper on Nov 8, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Nov 12, 2017!

The game lasted 06:30:04 (72539 turns).

rchandra the Warrior (Ghoul Warper)                Turns: 72539, Time: 06:30:05

Health: 230/244    AC: 40    Str: 43    XL:     27
Magic:  35/45      EV: 29    Int: 28    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   5000       SH: 36    Dex: 30    Spells: 2/46 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   d - +9 scimitar {drain, *Slow rPois Str+6 Dex+8}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   q - +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   i - +9 storm dragon scales {Bai Suzhen}
rPois    ∞         Spirit   +   j - +0 helmet "Caowih" {MR+ MP+9 Dex-2 Slay+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   K - +1 cloak "Ohamm" {rF++ rN+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   B - +2 pair of gloves of the Barnacle {+Inv Str+2 Int-2 SInv}
MR       +++++                  D - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {Detection Stab+ Stlth++}
Stlth    ++........             G - amulet of Hovuit {Spirit rF+ MR+}
HPRegen  0.00/turn              M - +6 ring of evasion {=R}
MPRegen  0.29/turn              J - +4 ring of slaying

@: rotting, very slow
A: rotting body, claws 1, carnivore 3, cold resistance 1, negative energy
resistance 3, inhibited regeneration, torment resistance, unbreathing
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, gossamer
a: Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Invisibility

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for as long as the minotaur berserker exists, i will refuse to believe crawl devs actually make changes to even out the game's challenge levels

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

cheetah7071 posted:

Centaurs should be able to wear two pairs of boots

Formicids should be able to double up on gloves.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Octopodes should be able to wear scarves on their mantles.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

taqueso posted:

Octopodes should be able to wear scarves on their mantles.

Yeah, I was arguing this since they and Felids are two of the species that really used r-missiles.

and now they're hosed out of it completely.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ugly John posted:

Try the new Gnolls in the current trunk before they get beaten down. They're the thing keeping the game interesting for me at the moment, even if I still suck with them.

I'm gonna pop in to say that I'm about to ascend my first one and that they could probably use a stat nerf to balance out the fact that after the midgame-hump you :captainpop: at all of your options. Like they are basically the only race (other than maybe merfolk) right now that I would suggest starting out a skald with since you can slap on some actual armor without tanking your spellcasting.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Zore posted:

Yeah, I was arguing this since they and Felids are two of the species that really used r-missiles.

and now they're hosed out of it completely.

I was arguing this because it'd be adorable.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

IIRC that was a one time glitch and it's not worth the trouble to go into the database to re-score properly.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm gonna pop in to say that I'm about to ascend my first one and that they could probably use a stat nerf to balance out the fact that after the midgame-hump you :captainpop: at all of your options. Like they are basically the only race (other than maybe merfolk) right now that I would suggest starting out a skald with since you can slap on some actual armor without tanking your spellcasting.

Didn't they already get a stat nerf?

Thank you Canine Blues Arooo for returning the crawl thread to its former glory :)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pacra posted:

Didn't they already get a stat nerf?

Thank you Canine Blues Arooo for returning the crawl thread to its former glory :)

Dunno?
Anyways I won that gnoll.
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.21-a0-442-g848f44b (webtiles) character file.

1931117 Lawman0 the Omniscient (level 26, 207/207 HPs)
             Began as a Gnoll Summoner on Nov 4, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Nov 13, 2017!

The game lasted 09:40:38 (92188 turns).

Lawman0 the Omniscient (Gnoll Summoner)            Turns: 92188, Time: 09:40:38

Health: 207/207    AC: 26    Str: 19    XL:     26   Next: 78%
Magic:  42/44      EV: 34    Int: 26    God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   3750       SH: 17    Dex: 28    Spells: 4/59 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +9 demon trident (freeze)
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   m - +0 shield of Gluttony {rElec rF+ Int+2 Dex-2} (curse)
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   C - +3 leather armour of Ecok Pusi {MR+++ Regen+ Int-4 Dex+4} (curse)
rPois    .         Spirit   .   N - +2 helmet (curse)
rElec    +         Reflect  .   w - +1 cloak of Brilliance {rCorr Dex+7} (curse)
rCorr    +         Harm     .   l - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3} (curse)
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   v - +1 pair of boots of Eboic {+Fly rF+ Stlth+} (curse)
Stlth    +++.......             (no amulet)
HPRegen  0.84/turn              z - ring "Susaosacw" {AC+4 Int+5} (curse)
MPRegen  0.29/turn              I - ring "Gineap" {rCorr *Slow rF+ rC+ Str+4} (curse)

@: studying 2 skills, deflect missiles
A: distributed training, fangs 1, yellow scales 1, deformed body, dopey 1,
shaggy fur 1, strong nose
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, abyssal
a: Curse Item, Scrying, Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight

You escaped.
You worshipped Ashenzari.
Ashenzari was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 12 branches of the dungeon, and saw 57 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 4 times.
You also visited: Ice Cave.

You collected 8124 gold pieces.
You spent 4374 gold pieces at shops.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Lawman0/morgue-Lawman0-20171113-000107.txt

Initial Gnoll Impressions: They own big league once you get past the mid-game hump of not being able to do poo poo effectively. Play them as hybrids always when you get a chance, would probably never not use a shield with them to be honest. Very much my jam because I love adapting to whatever I find, for example this is the game where I finally figured out that darkness is actually worth learning!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

jon joe posted:

I️ have hundreds of hours in this game and still have a below 1% winrate despite having all the knowledge to play optimally, because playing optimally in this game involves a lot of behavior I️ find boring as hell (and Hell). My preferred play style is mashing tab as a fighter of Gozag because I️ find the loot roulette to be very fun. It’s rare that a god makes me break from Gozag. Usk was one of those gods. WJC was another. Maybe what I️ really want is a crawl themed clicker game.

Are you my thread twin? Minus the clicker stuff everything you wrote sums me up.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017
Well, here we go.

I hope this revision goes through, I honestly believe it's one of the most interesting and not too watered down, and it fixes the problems flagged by the devs.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

SteelNeuron posted:

Well, here we go.

I hope this revision goes through, I honestly believe it's one of the most interesting and not too watered down, and it fixes the problems flagged by the devs.

Gave this a read through, and I like the changes! My main issue with the god when I tried it last was Whirlwind tabbing, which seems to be fixed with making it do less damage than a standard attack but turning it into a guaranteed escape/reposition tool (which coincides with Wall Jump going back to free aim but losing the speed of hopping away from everything in sight). Hopefully this version gets merged and sticks!

Edit: I also like the Serpent's Lash change to encourage more combat usage over escape usage, but not getting rid of the latter.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 13, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Edit: Quote is not edit.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

SteelNeuron posted:

Well, here we go.

That looks promising! I'd love to test it if it goes up on a webtiles server somewhere. Perhaps Hellmonk would like this version as well.

Edit:

A pretty ridiculous but fun hellcrawl thing I ran into: haste is a permabuff (like all other buff-type spells) that reserves some of your max MP, but it's a level 9 spell. This means you're unlikely to get it until late in the game but that's also when it's really valuable since the Orb run has you running through hell to escape.

apple fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 13, 2017

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

Initial Gnoll Impressions: They own big league once you get past the mid-game hump of not being able to do poo poo effectively. Play them as hybrids always when you get a chance, would probably never not use a shield with them to be honest. Very much my jam because I love adapting to whatever I find, for example this is the game where I finally figured out that darkness is actually worth learning!

I feel the same. Really enjoying the gnoll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
please adopt hellcrawl's spooky skellie race into regular crawl :hb:

• Locked thread