Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

less than 10% of visitors ever go below the canyon's rim

even fewer come prepared for such a journey

I know some neurosurgeons who do an annual grand canyon rim to rim hike (south to north). the park's firm suggestion is that day hikes to the bottom and back are Not Something One Should Attempt so they have to dodge rangers throughout and generally keep it on the DL.

one year some of the hardier and less sane guys did rim-to-rim-to-rim hike. no one died but by mutual agreement they haven't repeated it since.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

I know some neurosurgeons who do an annual grand canyon rim to rim hike (south to north). the park's firm suggestion is that day hikes to the bottom and back are Not Something One Should Attempt so they have to dodge rangers throughout and generally keep it on the DL.

one year some of the hardier and less sane guys did rim-to-rim-to-rim hike. no one died but by mutual agreement they haven't repeated it since.

i hiked to the bottom and back with my grandpa (camped at the bottom) when i was 11. we left at about 6am, at the same time as a powerwalking guy with ski poles, and he passed us coming back up at about 2pm.

down and back in 2 days isn't a terribly strenuous hike but you need to carry the right amount of water and wear the right shoes. i don't think attempting it in a single day is a great idea but clearly it is possible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

where did you get my helmet cam vids

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Glorgnole posted:

my in-laws did their honeymoon at the grand canyon and hiked all the way down and back in a single day w/o informing anyone or booking the crazy hotel at the bottom that needs a year+ of advance notice, which is what you're supposed to do

i'm told that even in the 80s this was enough to get you a stern talking to

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
TrumpFree: try to reach the end of your term before Mueller hits you with the piss tape

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my in-laws did their honeymoon at the grand canyon and hiked all the way down and back in a single day w/o informing anyone or booking the crazy hotel at the bottom that needs a year+ of advance notice, which is what you're supposed to do

i'm told that even in the 80s this was enough to get you a stern talking to

why

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
because everything and everyone involved w/ the grand canyon is bananas

we learned in geology that it wasn’t even researched for a good while after discovery due to how inhospitable the area is/was

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

because it's the high desert and it's real easy to get yourself killed of heat or dehydration if you aren't adequately prepared.

saving tourists from themselves is a year-round job in AZ. they show up at the rim of the canyon and it's nice and cool (8500 feet) and you can see the bottom right there! (only a mile away vertically) so they take their single nalgene bottle and a sun hat and start hiking, and it's easy going at first but every foot they descend it gets hotter and hotter, and they've walked five miles in 100 degrees but the river doesn't seem any closer, so as it starts to feel like a furnace they turn around but because they're not drinking enough they get cramps and muscle spasms, and it's a lot harder to hike back up than it was coming down, so they sit down for a rest, and they aren't quite sure which way the trail goes, and then two months their dessicated skeleton is discovered when it slides off a cliff and lands on a whitewater rafting trip.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

excuse me sir this is the funny pictures thread

i debate that the pictures are funny

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when you apply for a backcountry permit in AZ they show you this movie about two morons, to try and explain why you have to take this stuff seriously

basically the two guys set out for a hike and did everything wrong (took barely any water, wrong shoes and clothes, no maps, didn't tell anyone where they were going or when to expect them back) and got lost in a canyon. 110 degrees, ran out of water, overheating and hiking for miles, and eventually one guy's legs gave out from salt imbalance. other guy kept moving and found a whitewater rafting trip a few miles away but they couldn't come back upriver to save the first guy.

the rafting trip had a radio and got in touch with the SAR people, and they sent in a rescue helicopter, which couldn't land in the area where the guy was trapped due to overhanging trees. they tried to lower two pararescue guys on ropes, but the ropes got caught in the trees, broke, and dropped the two of them thirty feet to the canyon floor. both were injured and one broke both his legs. they were still a good half mile from the guy they were trying to rescue, and the temperature was increasing in the canyon to over 120 degrees, so the PR with working legs dragged the other one into a shaded cave and they sat there transfusing saline into themselves to try and stay alive while they waited for rescue

eventually a second helicopter was sent, this one carrying wilderness firefighters. they descended on ropes from the helicopter and, while hanging in midair, used chainsaws to cut the trees from the canyon walls. this helicopter was then able to land, save the pararescue guys, and collect the original lost guy from further up the canyon.

this whole rescue fiasco cost the state several hundred thousand dollars, so they sued the pair of dudes to recover some of the cost. the judge did not end up levying any fees, but ordered the morons to make a film about their story, which is the film you now watch when you apply for the permit.

i've only seen it that once and i wish i could find a copy of it. i've looked for years but never can

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Sagebrush posted:

when you apply for a backcountry permit in AZ they show you this movie about two morons, to try and explain why you have to take this stuff seriously

if you find that i would like to see it. a group of us got caught down in the 126° heat in the bottom of the grand. even with enough water and the right gear that is way too fuvkin hot. a scoutmaster died down there the next day im p sure.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Louis CK’s statement in full:
I want to address the stories told to the New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.

I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position. I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie and every other entity that has bet on me through the years. I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading.

honestly in a way lck is good here because I think he's the kind of person who can turn this around, not for himself, but for society, and highlight issues and be an agent of change. hope so anyway

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
please dont bring that into the funny compute pics thread

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I'm trying to eat a sandwich

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

please dont bring that into the funny compute pics thread

m8 where in yospos can we discuss it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

we already talked about it in cjs

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

we already talked about it in cjs

ugh that thread :negative:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Would

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm trying to eat a sandwich

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In Griffin voice

Looooooouis

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

basically the two guys set out for a hike and did everything wrong (took barely any water, wrong shoes and clothes, no maps, didn't tell anyone where they were going or when to expect them back) and got lost in a canyon. 110 degrees, ran out of water, overheating and hiking for miles, and eventually one guy's legs gave out from salt imbalance. other guy kept moving and found a whitewater rafting trip a few miles away but they couldn't come back upriver to save the first guy.

the rafting trip had a radio and got in touch with the SAR people, and they sent in a rescue helicopter, which couldn't land in the area where the guy was trapped due to overhanging trees. they tried to lower two pararescue guys on ropes, but the ropes got caught in the trees, broke, and dropped the two of them thirty feet to the canyon floor. both were injured and one broke both his legs. they were still a good half mile from the guy they were trying to rescue, and the temperature was increasing in the canyon to over 120 degrees, so the PR with working legs dragged the other one into a shaded cave and they sat there transfusing saline into themselves to try and stay alive while they waited for rescue

eventually a second helicopter was sent, this one carrying wilderness firefighters. they descended on ropes from the helicopter and, while hanging in midair, used chainsaws to cut the trees from the canyon walls. this helicopter was then able to land, save the pararescue guys, and collect the original lost guy from further up the canyon.

this whole rescue fiasco cost the state several hundred thousand dollars, so they sued the pair of dudes to recover some of the cost. the judge did not end up levying any fees, but ordered the morons to make a film about their story, which is the film you now watch when you apply for the permit.

i've only seen it that once and i wish i could find a copy of it. i've looked for years but never can

pretty hosed up that judges can make you do mod challenges irl

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

pretty hosed up that judges can make you do mod challenges irl

i'm kind of a fan of it. there's a judge in ohio who likes to assign weirdly specific penances as community service. e.g. some kid who stole a bicycle was ordered to ride a bicycle in the town's parade in support of a local charity. a woman who bailed on a cab driver over a 30 dollar bill was ordered to walk 30 miles. a different woman who left her dog locked in her car had to pick up garbage at the dump for a day.

it's way better idea than jail time or fines for that kind of petty crime imo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah the video just seems like a strange community service request to me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i'm kind of a fan of it. there's a judge in ohio who likes to assign weirdly specific penances as community service. e.g. some kid who stole a bicycle was ordered to ride a bicycle in the town's parade in support of a local charity. a woman who bailed on a cab driver over a 30 dollar bill was ordered to walk 30 miles. a different woman who left her dog locked in her car had to pick up garbage at the dump for a day.

it's way better idea than jail time or fines for that kind of petty crime imo

just waiting on that big mardi gras bead caper

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

That's be pretty cool if it didn't say "SMEG" on the top.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Salt Fish posted:

That's be pretty cool if it didn't say "SMEG" on the top.

actually that's the coolest part

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
COO: What are we going to call our company?
CEO: Well, we all love smegma, how about SMEG?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

how do you do, fellow SMEGheads

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXKlC8ph7mM&hd=1

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this is...actually extremely good

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"Smeg Jousting Paladins" is the name of my band

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

what special stuff does the refrigerator do that makes it worth fifty grand?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
thanks for picking it up. weird but I always remember it as sandwich rather than lunch

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

prefect posted:

look nice? (until the paint flakes away)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

prefect posted:

zip

it has automatic defrosting in the fridge bit i guess

but then they say you have to clean the freezer bit monthly, otherwise you start getting Smeg Odors

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

prefect posted:

inform anyone who visits your house that you can (or at least did) drop 50 grand on a refrigerator

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

zip

it has automatic defrosting in the fridge bit i guess

but then they say you have to clean the freezer bit monthly, otherwise you start getting Smeg Odors
dsyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

look nice? (until the paint flakes away)

i've literally never seen a fridge with paint flaking away. i think they solved this problem like 50-100 years ago dude.

• Locked thread