Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

graph posted:

i, too, have never had good gin either

oh go roll around in some more peanuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prefect posted:

hendrick's gin is also good

it's actually the only good gin

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
i like hendricks a lot

i had a seaweed gin a while ago it tasted like salt, plant and piss

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

prefect posted:

hendrick's gin is also good

hell yeah

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I want to get my dad some good vermouth for Christmas, he loves manhattans. Any yospinions re: decent or fancy vermouth?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like hendrick's gin a lot too but for some weirdass reason it tastes salty to me. not like seawater or anything, but like the taste you get when a cocktail has a dash of salt. is there salt in it?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

i like hendrick's gin a lot too but for some weirdass reason it tastes salty to me. not like seawater or anything, but like the taste you get when a cocktail has a dash of salt. is there salt in it?

let me Google that for you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well sure it says 0mg sodium but like i'm going to believe some manufacturer label.

you know that they put nicotine in tim horton's coffee, right? that's why it's so addictive. and they sure don't mention that on the label.

-- a thing many canadian people apparently believe and have told me

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

bombay sapphire FTW

a bad gin for vodka drinkers

try letherbee if it’s available near you, it is a good American gin!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
myer farm makes a great gin that's pleasantly unusual: emphasizes coriander notes instead of juniper ones

the other gin i like a lot right now is The Botanist but i assume englishmen arent allowed to buy it bc it comes from scotland

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the st george gins are 2/3 good. botanivore and terroir are great, but the dry rye is awful

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

minivanmegafun posted:

a bad gin for vodka drinkers

try letherbee if it’s available near you, it is a good American gin!

meh, Bombay is fine but nothing special. I prefer it over Tanqueray.

the best value gin if it’s available is probably Ginebra San Miguel, it should be among the cheapest around as it’s for the Philippine domestic market. I’ve mentioned it before but not what others think of it. it’s funny how much hate this stuff gets, the Brits and gin connoisseurs almost universally pan it as trash, the worst (it -is- cheap even in the Philippines, and it doesn’t help that it’s made from cane). still, it is novel and has a lovely label by Fernando Amorsolo - not worth importing but if a shop has it (or you’re in the Philippines) try it, it costs next to nothing. alternatively it could be a good gift for a British person or booze snob you hate

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

oh go roll around in some more peanuts

hey i thought it was ok too until i went over to an old friend's house and they gave me a rundown tasting on the good poo poo

saph aint even in the same league

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

bicycle posted:

i like gin a lot lately

if you like a gin let me know and i will buy that gin to try it (ideally available in UK)

Venus No. 1 and No. 2

probably not available in UK, possibly not even outside California, but good loving gin

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
those are some nice looking gins my friends thank you

i figure for local availability im going to try get The Botanist (i think i can get that after work) but might grab a St Georges online.....some of the others mentioned look good but i can't get them for a decent price here

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
tanqueray: it's cheap!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

on the subject of gin, is anybody familiar with "plymouth gin"?

Plymouth gin is the original oddball gin, a forerunner to modern day Hendricks or T10. non-traditional flavors, doesn't work in all cocktails.

still good in others

experiment freely

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

it's the cucumber notes doing this

Hendricks is waaaaay off the reservation, gin-wise. it's a great spirit but it goes badly in a lot of classics. I almost hesitate to call it gin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

tanqueray: it's cheap!

tanqueray is quite expensive, for gin. it was, for many years, the top shelf option.

cheap is Seagrams, or Gordon's.
Gilbey's and beefeater for your midrange options
tanq and sapphire at the top

the new super premium poo poo is weird

gin is not supposed to be expensive. there is no aging. production is not complex. ingredients are not expensive.

expensive gin is almost as weird as expensive vodka

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
learned that a cool half doz (what i might drink in an evening) of the beer i like is 900 cals so cant do that every day gently caress

drinking the iconic (and poo poo) nz beer spieghts - the low carb summit epic ultra poo poo. its tasteless but low cal so its ok

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

otoh the lack of aging is why boutique gins are worth buying. since the flavor is all just from soaking aromatic things in neutral spirit, anyone can do it with little investment and quickly iterate through a bunch of ideas to get something good.

contrast this to a trendy microbrewery where they haven't quite figured out the process yet so they load everything with hops to mask the skunky taste, or to a boutique whiskey distillery founded two years ago that somehow sells a 10-year bourbon lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tanqueray is quite expensive, for gin. it was, for many years, the top shelf option.

cheap is Seagrams, or Gordon's.
Gilbey's and beefeater for your midrange options
tanq and sapphire at the top

the new super premium poo poo is weird

gin is not supposed to be expensive. there is no aging. production is not complex. ingredients are not expensive.

expensive gin is almost as weird as expensive vodka

tanqueray and chronic oh im hosed up now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh ive got me some seagrams gin, everybodies got they cups but they aint chipped in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i bought a little 3 pack sampler of local gins because the bottles were cute and one was smooth and pleasant, one was exciting and unorthodox, and the last tasted like a pine-fresh-nr

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

oh ive got me some seagrams gin, everybodies got they cups but they aint chipped in

seagrams is a surprisingly ok gin

it is rough/crude in terms of the base spirit, but the botanic notes are well-considered and it mixes well into any classic cocktail you could want

not a dry martini, though. too much alcohol burn from the crude base, won't play well against so little vermouth,

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

otoh the lack of aging is why boutique gins are worth buying. since the flavor is all just from soaking aromatic things in neutral spirit, anyone can do it with little investment and quickly iterate through a bunch of ideas to get something good.

contrast this to a trendy microbrewery where they haven't quite figured out the process yet so they load everything with hops to mask the skunky taste, or to a boutique whiskey distillery founded two years ago that somehow sells a 10-year bourbon lol

everything about boutique gin is fun except the baffling prices

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
snoop dogg is totally correct about gin and juice incidentally

personally I like white grapefruit juice and Seagrams, 50/50 ratio, over ice. looks like vomit, tastes like love.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

i bought a little 3 pack sampler of local gins because the bottles were cute and one was smooth and pleasant, one was exciting and unorthodox, and the last tasted like a pine-fresh-nr

this is most definitely the St George gin sampler

get yourself bottles of Venus though, from Santa Cruz, one is great in a G&T and the other is a great sipping gin

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

snoop dogg is totally correct about gin and juice incidentally

personally I like white grapefruit juice and Seagrams, 50/50 ratio, over ice. looks like vomit, tastes like love.

liquor companies love them some rap music

/jstime

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

SO DEMANDING posted:

I want to get my dad some good vermouth for Christmas, he loves manhattans. Any yospinions re: decent or fancy vermouth?

carpano antica formula. not only is it fancy looking, it also makes for a really good manhattan

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
This thread has taught me that apparently there actually are people who drink white liquors in ways other than mixed with tonic and brown liquors in ways other than neat.

Other than Pernod, I mean, which is the aperitif of the gods.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/VwXeN2FsE7w

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

i'm glad that it's finally starting to get colder, i'm ready for some fine seasonal porters and stouts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gross

warm weather owns

cold is poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

gross

warm weather owns

cold is poo poo

:wrong:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cold weather sucks rear end. global warming ftw

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
the problem with cold weather is that it makes me want to stay in bed all morning. i need to figure out some way to get my bedroom warmer without turning up the thermostat

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
when i was really poor and didn't want to run the heater, i got a coffee machine with a timer that would make me a cuppa when i needed to wake up

that + a warm bathrobe helped a lot to get me up and outta the bed every morning

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

prefect posted:

the problem with cold weather is that it makes me want to stay in bed all morning. i need to figure out some way to get my bedroom warmer without turning up the thermostat

replace the thermostat with a digital thermostat with a wake/leave/arrive/sleep timer, they’re cheap and standardized and it should be fine even in an apartment as long as you don’t actually have, like, shared HVAC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

eschaton posted:

replace the thermostat with a digital thermostat with a wake/leave/arrive/sleep timer, they’re cheap and standardized and it should be fine even in an apartment as long as you don’t actually have, like, shared HVAC

it actually is a digital thermostat, and it seems to have some abilities in that direction. now i just need to find a manual