Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

bitterandtwisted posted:

The Dreamcast was good and I was not dumb for buying one.

The Dreamcast was possibly the best console ever made. SEGA stopped giving a gently caress and ran with any crazy idea that popped in to Yuji Naka’s brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Iggy's reckin' balls and Milo's Astro Lanes for the n64 owned.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I wish the Dreamcast controller had a second analog stick

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good soup! posted:

I wish the Dreamcast controller had a second analog stick

I wish the PS4 controller had a tamogachi you could stick in it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The new Mario game is a step forward in the simplification of games.

Seriously the moons are literally everywhere and you collect hundreds of them to a great amount of fanfare with a win screen on each one for such amazing feats as walking three feet or jumping once.

I would say it's Nintendo doing it and that it speaks to their customers but even Indie games like Binding of Isaac are becoming Reward Response Simulators where you just take victory laps to feel good about yourself.

Hopefully this is going to just be limited to some developers and we will still have people bothering to develop entertaining and engaging games.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
doom 2 has the theme of 'hope'

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Magius1337est posted:

also my personal prediction is that gaming laptops are going to reach parity with consoles really soon and pc gaming will become a much more preferred way to play games as it gives you both non-gaming productivity functions and graphics capability on par with consoles since no one really cares about 4k anyways

As somebody who thinks consoles are a dumb waste of plastic and basically a way to scam consumers, gaming laptops are pretty much the worst way to play games, economically, ergonomically, performance wise... so if the only two options you are willing to entertain are a console and a laptop, you should choose console.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Seriously the moons are literally everywhere and you collect hundreds of them to a great amount of fanfare with a win screen on each one for such amazing feats as walking three feet or jumping once.

I would say it's Nintendo doing it and that it speaks to their customers but even Indie games like Binding of Isaac are becoming Reward Response Simulators where you just take victory laps to feel good about yourself.

Hopefully this is going to just be limited to some developers and we will still have people bothering to develop entertaining and engaging games.

Cuphead is extremist hard.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my ergom snapped. god drat u alienware

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

As somebody who thinks consoles are a dumb waste of plastic and basically a way to scam consumers, gaming laptops are pretty much the worst way to play games, economically, ergonomically, performance wise... so if the only two options you are willing to entertain are a console and a laptop, you should choose console.
Yeah even if you have the money to blow on a laptop that can run recent 3D games you shouldn't unless you're travelling 25 out of 30 days of every month.

Moreover, any laptop will run every 2D game ever made at this point. If that isn't good-enough for you and you have to be running Destiny 2 at 60 fps on a plane, well then gently caress your entitled rear end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A bunch of the post game stuff is hard as gently caress and I'm terrible at it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

A bunch of the post game stuff is hard as gently caress and I'm terrible at it.

I don't really care that after you beat a game with infinite lives in 5 hours that you can choose to fight the same bosses but with restrictions or increase the amount of worthless collectibles that exist.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gabe newell is curvaceous

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't really care that after you beat a game with infinite lives in 5 hours that you can choose to fight the same bosses but with restrictions or increase the amount of worthless collectibles that exist.

Oh you haven't actually played it and don't know what you are talking about. noted.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Destiny 2 is a fun game to chill with your bros and shoot things while chatting

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Quote-Unquote posted:

chill with your bros and shoot things while chatting

What's this code for?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you clearly don't care about the base game then I'm not going to bother listening to your opinion on the end-game. Yes, base Mario has gotten easy as hell relative to even Mario 64, but that's ok. It is still aimed primarily at children and their families. This has always been Nintendo's M.O.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure no kid today gives a poo poo about Mario.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
nintendo fans are the bronies of games

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

The mass effect series is a star control 2 remake with a shittier story
also the citadel dlc is the real ending to me3

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Convoolio posted:

I thought this very same thing when I played the first one. In good news the creators of Star Control 2 got the rights to make a sequel last month.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

steinrokkan posted:

a gaming laptop is already the same performance as a console and is actually portable, and if you're a kid you probably have a desk somewhere where you'll spend most of your time gaming, if not they have these things called HDMI out nowadays

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
also at some point a kid is going to get a laptop "for school" and there is a high likelihood that it will at least have some sort of video card

it's an untapped market

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
everyone knows growing up it goes

console -> laptop -> desktop

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Convoolio posted:

So for unpopular but true video game opinions, star control 2 sucked.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

If you clearly don't care about the base game then I'm not going to bother listening to your opinion on the end-game. Yes, base Mario has gotten easy as hell relative to even Mario 64, but that's ok. It is still aimed primarily at children and their families. This has always been Nintendo's M.O.

Yeah, sorry, it isn't children coming to these threads and Games to be defensive about their fisher price tier platforming.

"It's actually made for babies" isn't a positive defense of your 5 hour platformer that gives you 300 win screens for hitting a button.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dk64 was cool and good.

Yeah, sorry, it isn't children coming to these threads and Games to be defensive about their fisher price tier platforming.

"It's actually made for babies" isn't a positive defense of your 5 hour platformer that gives you 300 win screens for hitting a button.

Just call him a filthy casual already man.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
The games forum should move its megathreads to a seperate subforum

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

Dk64 was cool and good.

Just call him a filthy casual already man.

I don't think casuals care enough about gaming to constantly defend the games they play. Their passing interest in gaming is kind of the whole point.

I'm sure a filthy casual would neither care enough nor know enough about gaming to try the weird justification by nintendo fans that a game is simultaneously both made for children but has this amazing hidden complexity that nobody but them can recognize.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Panzeh posted:

So for unpopular but true video game opinions, star control 2 sucked.

False

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I don't think casuals care enough about gaming to constantly defend the games they play. Their passing interest in gaming is kind of the whole point.

I'm sure a filthy casual would neither care enough nor know enough about gaming to try the weird justification by nintendo fans that a game is simultaneously both made for children but has this amazing hidden complexity that nobody but them can recognize.

Gating the difficult stuff behind post game content isnt really a hard argument to make. Super Mario Brothers 2 was an order of magnitude harder than SMB1 and it was made that way on purpose because nintendo knew everyone was familiar with the game already. SMW had all teh difficult levels in secret areas, 64 didnt require you getting all the stars to complete the game, and so on. Theyve been designing games this way forever, so sticking 10% of the really difficult moons at the end of the game shouldnt really be a surprise, and im sure even a dumb rear end 10 year old can figure it out

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

nintendo fans are the bronies of games

We call them ninnies.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

doom 2 has the theme of 'hope'

This could probably be argued in an abtract kinda way. You do blow up hell and all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

steinrokkan posted:

So far I've had way more fun with Elex than I had at any point of Fallout 4.

from weeks ago but holy poo poo, this

apparently i've played elex for twice as long as i've played fo4 despite having the latter for most of a year now

i wouldn't even call elex great but it's just so earnest and weird

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

a gaming laptop is already the same performance as a console and is actually portable, and if you're a kid you probably have a desk somewhere where you'll spend most of your time gaming, if not they have these things called HDMI out nowadays

theres no way youd get the same performance from any gaming platform as you do from a console, show me this gaming laptop that can play games that look anything like Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4 smoothly. Lmao you'd need to pay at least twice the cost of a console for a gaming laptop that plays games decently at all

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i got a sweet gaming laptop for cheap from costco and i don't even game on it, i just wanted a decent thing powerful enough to gently caress with blender or whatever for 3d printing cool poo poo

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Caesar Saladin posted:

theres no way youd get the same performance from any gaming platform as you do from a console, show me this gaming laptop that can play games that look anything like Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4 smoothly. Lmao you'd need to pay at least twice the cost of a console for a gaming laptop that plays games decently at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Bi_iT1zzQ&t=67s

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
motherfucker a cellphone can play gamecube and wii games now

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

that is literally twice the price of a console, which is what i said in my post, i said you'd need to pay twice as much money. And then you can't even play the best looking games on it, because they aren't on the PC lmao, you gotta play lovely mobas and counterstrike and mmos with all the other spergs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand why you keep linking an $800 laptop as proof that laptops are better than game consoles lol.