Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

No Wave posted:

Depends on your priorities. It's probably not worth it if you still don't own characters, especially non-legendary characters, though it's hard to resist re-rolling epic chests.

Either way don't ever re-roll more than once imo.

If you really like opening loot chests buying a legendary hero you like for 750 gems is probably worth getting to re-roll 40 times down the line. Buying loot chests is just the worst value prop the game has.

I didn't buy them. I've been saving chests for a few weeks. The only real money I spent on this game was the Lunar Festival Li Li skin way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rerolling really should only be done if you get utterly hosed by an epic chest and enjoy the cosmetics.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Rerolling really should only be done if you get utterly hosed by an epic chest and enjoy the cosmetics.

Is rerolling mathematically always the incorrect thing to do?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I typically reroll if I get a super bad grey or blue chest, and so far I have gotten a bunch of legendary and purple drops as a result. Granted, I only typically reroll once and not every chest is a winner, but I don't play much and in about 20 chests, I think I have nailed like 4 or 5 legendaries and a bunch of epics.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

It's a good idea to re-roll if your chest is the worst possible outcome, like 4 grays from a normal chest. Worst case is you get another 4 grays, most of the time you'll get at least one blue.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Erdricks posted:

Speaking of gold, what's the best use of gold in terms of rerolling loot boxes?

Someone has probably created a guide but the general rule is roll the common chests until you get at least one rare. And same with the rare or epic chests until you get at least one epic.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
But if I want shards to buy skins/announcers/etc, then it's just having to fall back on loot chest duplicates?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Erdricks posted:

But if I want shards to buy skins/announcers/etc, then it's just having to fall back on loot chest duplicates?

Basically. At some point, it probably is good to just take some of those all grey chests on the chin and start snatching up those emotes and sprays so you can get shards down the line.

Bayonnefrog posted:

Someone has probably created a guide but the general rule is roll the common chests until you get at least one rare. And same with the rare or epic chests until you get at least one epic.

Yeah this approach really does good. I never reroll a chest that:

A: Has a higher item than will typically roll at its level (for obvious reasons, like a common with a legendary or an epic.)
B: Has items of a shard value higher than I would be comfortable spending. So I take a common chest with 2 blues no matter how much I hate those blues, but I might reroll a common with 1 blue if I really don't like it and am feeling lucky.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You can't get many of the exact things you want. I've opened ~450 boxes with probably 50 re-rolls and have gotten somewhere around 13k shards the whole time.

When you're re-rolling you're mostly trading hero purchases for improved cosmetics, so be aware of what you're doing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 10, 2017

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

I was listening to The Core podcast and they addressed the Heroes 2.0 currency and the problems with it. I thought the raised some good points. Basically saying they don't spend as much on the game as before because everything could be purchased with real money. Now you have to get the gems and not everything is purchasable with gems. They're thinking maybe it's better to go down to two currencies or just one. I think probably they will. They kept gold around which is really a Heroes 1.0 currency and could easily be replaced with gems. Earn a small number of gems for every game instead of gold. Something like that. Keep shards the same.

I think there is also something to be said for being able to buy everything in the game with real money. Now you have to go through a loot box system and hope you get enough shards eventually.

Also because there are so many tints of one skin I think they should allow people to exchange skin tints for a certain period of time. So lets say you get a skin. You can exchange in the shop for a different color for a couple of hours. Like in Wow loot after a raid.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bayonnefrog posted:

I think there is also something to be said for being able to buy everything in the game with real money. Now you have to go through a loot box system and hope you get enough shards eventually.

I fully admit that I spend way less on the game than I used to specifically because I can't buy exactly what I want. I'd gladly slap down $5 for gems if I could get the Alarak announcer with them, or whatever.

Bayonnefrog posted:

Also because there are so many tints of one skin I think they should allow people to exchange skin tints for a certain period of time. So lets say you get a skin. You can exchange in the shop for a different color for a couple of hours. Like in Wow loot after a raid.

This would be a great feature. I got my least favorite of the Gryemane halloween tints, and while I love the skin, I'd like one of the other tints more, and I'd really like being able to trade it 1:1.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I fully admit that I spend way less on the game than I used to specifically because I can't buy exactly what I want. I'd gladly slap down $5 for gems if I could get the Alarak announcer with them, or whatever.

This would be a great feature. I got my least favorite of the Gryemane halloween tints, and while I love the skin, I'd like one of the other tints more, and I'd really like being able to trade it 1:1.

Outside of buying the discount hero bundle and getting the celestial horse (10 bucks total), I've not spent another penny on this game and only have 9 heroes left to buy.

That being said, if I could actually pay money for things I'd pay a few bucks for any of those Halloween Greymane skins.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cuatal posted:

Is rerolling mathematically always the incorrect thing to do?

It really depends on how you value heros and cosmetics. Need more heroes? Dont reroll ever. Otherwise theres no other use for gold.

My balance is i only reroll epic boxes, sometimes rares

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did win 100 lootboxes during their summer event so i have a ton of shards

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This has been a good year for skins, and I think Immortan Garrosh is my favorite of them all. It's just perfect.

Other standouts:
Jaina (ofc, tho I think I still like arcanist better)
Death knight Sonya (w/ helmet - and it's epic!)
L800 etc (epic!)
Fallen Junkrat

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, I don't even play much and I still make enough gold to buy one out of every couple new heroes while re-rolling things with abandon. I wouldn't stress it too much.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

I remember the days of value when there were 3 sales every 4 days.

One hero a corresponding skin and then another skin for a different hero

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Welp, I guess I am just going to be waiting for the package sales to hope that some of the cosmetic things I want go on sale. Save that gold for heroes. Thanks thread.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Blizz seems to have timed it that every time I buy a 10K gold character another one gets released, very frustrating for a completionist

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Insight Kharazim seems really good what with the CDR and mana sustain leading to being able to eventually have Deadly Reach active non-stop and pumping out regular Breath of Heaven, am I grossly overlooking something when it comes to the other two starting talents that makes them much more attractive?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

Insight Kharazim seems really good what with the CDR and mana sustain leading to being able to eventually have Deadly Reach active non-stop and pumping out regular Breath of Heaven, am I grossly overlooking something when it comes to the other two starting talents that makes them much more attractive?

Some guy from team liquid argues that it’s not as good as people think https://t.co/WJ7y7aoR9w?amp=1

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Blizz seems to have timed it that every time I buy a 10K gold character another one gets released, very frustrating for a completionist

Like what else is the point of gold then? Wish I had stuff to spend it on.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

lost an AI game for the first time in like 2 months because my team couldn't deal with a sylvanas + azmodan just pushing down every single fort

is abathur even that good at pushing lanes? i usually pick the healing talents because A) lol its AI and B) it usually doesn't give us a support

i know he's good at getting xp from multiple lanes but i don't know how to deal with hyper pushers like that (i'm also not very good at the multiple lanes thing either)

i also usually go monstrosity cause it's a fun talent (see A above) but this game i went evolution and couldn't really do much with it.

man i really hate azmodan.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AI Azmodan seems to have finally figured out that it can just use it's laser to straight up delete heroes, then hearth so it can do it again.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
Someone respect banned Junkrat because of how much I owned with him the game before.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

tcjimbo posted:

Someone respect banned Junkrat because of how much I owned with him the game before.

And then everyone stood up and clapped.

And that Junkrat was Albert Einstein.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kurieg posted:

AI Azmodan seems to have finally figured out that it can just use it's laser to straight up delete heroes, then hearth so it can do it again.

Also AI Sylvanas will pull off maximum range Haunted Waves all the time. You need to chain-CC her at half health or she'll go "cya nerds" and zip away. It actually inspired me to go into training and work on my E timing.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

lost an AI game for the first time in like 2 months because my team couldn't deal with a sylvanas + azmodan just pushing down every single fort

If two AI were off doing their own thing, what was stopping your 5 man from just pushing down straight to core?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I had forgot how messed up quick match was. Got Ana so I decided to try her out in quick match and it decided Zarya, Lucio, Valla, Zuljin and Varian VS Ana, Raynor, Tracer, Chromie and Abathur was a good matchup.

Ana seems super bad tho, or maybe I'm just bad? Like the whole skillshot to heal thing is infuriating in this game when your teammates are juking around. Especially if you have like Tracer or Genji or someone who is jumping around like an idiot the whole time.

Also am I correct in reading that the nano boost only boosts spell damage and cooldown so it's almost worthless to use on autoattack heroes? Seems like a weird design choice that it wouldn't also boost AA attack speed or something.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 11, 2017

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Any tips on tank drafting, like against which comps do you want which tank?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Im_Special posted:

Like what else is the point of gold then? Wish I had stuff to spend it on.

reroll those chests man

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kai Tave posted:

Iron Fists gives you a DPS bump.
Transcendence gives you a healing bump.
Insight gives you an everything bump.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Power Bottom posted:

Iron Fists gives you a DPS bump.
Transcendence gives you a healing bump.
Insight gives you an everything bump.

Insight is a lot less good before quest completion which is where you really need the power curve for Kharazim to be, unfortunately.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magna Kaser posted:

Ana seems super bad tho, or maybe I'm just bad? Like the whole skillshot to heal thing is infuriating in this game when your teammates are juking around. Especially if you have like Tracer or Genji or someone who is jumping around like an idiot the whole time.

Also am I correct in reading that the nano boost only boosts spell damage and cooldown so it's almost worthless to use on autoattack heroes? Seems like a weird design choice that it wouldn't also boost AA attack speed or something.

Ana is ok/good in certain comps, I wouldn't say she's a general default solo healer, almost always want an off-support to help. Landing skillshots and positioning are everything obviously. The cooldowns are long enough on grenade and sleep dart that wasting them can be really bad. Depending on the enemy comp, sleep dart can be used liberally as an interrupt/mini-stun if you feel safe in general but the grenade timing and aim is how she can turn a team fight.

I wouldn't draft her with any team that has waveclear issues because hers is total dogshit or any team with the spastic high-mobility heroes, also bad if the team can't make good use of Nano. It's great for mages like Li-Ming, it doesn't boost autoattack because that stomps on Morales' Stim.

Star posted:

Any tips on tank drafting, like against which comps do you want which tank?

Mediocre opinions incoming.

At least the ones I'm comfortable with, I would say Anub'arak, ETC, Muradin are ok first pick.

Anub'arak is good vs spell damage and for locking down high threat targets with Cocoon. So enemy Stitches, Sonya, Rehgar etc.

Arthas is good vs melee autoattackers with few/no escapes, Alarak, Illidan, Cassia, Ragnaros, can also be good for locking down low-mobility mages like Jaina, Gul'dan. But really when you want to be able to give your mid- and backline a zone where the enemy won't want to enter with your E.

ETC is just good all around right now, if you won't get good Mosh or Stage Dive value though you're probably better with someone else, ie I would pick if they have a good number of melee warriors and assassins and your team has the ability to follow up on a good Mosh, or it's a big map conducive to making good Stage Dives.

Johanna is good into almost any autoattacker, ranged or melee. Illidan, Greymane, Zul'jin, Cassia. Consider if the enemy team will be bunched enough to get good value from either of her heroics.

Muradin is also good all around, I don't know, I guess I wouldn't draft him vs like Tracer/Valla + Tassadar, Lunara, Kerrigan, Genji maybe? He's good for standing around being a bastard interrupter but if you can't reach who you're trying to peel off he can't do a whole lot. He could still work in those situations but ETC might be better.

Stitches you want to consider if you can be dislocated and separated from your team. Enemy Garrosh, Diablo, Brightwing, Stukov, Kerrigan, etc can move you out of position and make bad things happen. You want to consider who you can do bad things to with hook, even if not to initiate, but just as a way to keep them in the fight when they want to leave and after they blow their escape cooldown, Greymane, Valla, Li-Ming, etc. If they have a lot of melee consider if Bile would be good, or if your team has great lockdown + delete potential if Gorge would be good.

I don't play the other Warriors enough to have even bad opinions. Garrosh gets banned so much I can't say a lot about drafting him but probably similar to Stitches and who you can lockdown with Warlord's Challenge. Tyrael is good but damned if I know the first thing about using him properly.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Elysium posted:

If two AI were off doing their own thing, what was stopping your 5 man from just pushing down straight to core?

that's a pretty good fuckin question :cripes:

i went back and watched the replay and it was just a really sad display of people not knowing how to rotate or kill minions (including me tbh)

me (abathur) and junkrat were basically the only waveclear we had but neither of us were really doing well enough at it to counter two hyperpushers. i was doing carapace healing build and junkrat was mining the waves instead of just grenading them down.

the last 6-7 minutes of the game was just my team desperately trying to hold on to our 16% hp core, but they kept wanting to try and go for the blackheart coins and as soon as they left the base it fell.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sorry for double post but this is really important

best regular chest ive ever gotten

now do i get the junkrat or alarak announcer pack???

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alarak. How is that even a question?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Got Lunara from a box. Fell in love. Holy crap she seems like a late game beast. Is it just my relatively uneducated perspective? I never see other people playing her.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
You must not hang around the ow threads

E: lunara's poison scales up harder than a lot of other things in the game I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kerrrrrrr posted:

sorry for double post but this is really important

best regular chest ive ever gotten

now do i get the junkrat or alarak announcer pack???

but it wasnt a regular chest. it was a Hallows End Chest! :ghost: