Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Popete posted:

I kinda hope the makers of Cold Waters do a WW2 Battle for the Atlantic game next.

They already have--it's called Atlantic Fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

I kinda hope the makers of Cold Waters do a WW2 Battle for the Mediterranean game next.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What if I just desperate want an Age of Rifles like game...also why the hell has no one remade that?

God it covered so many neat small conflicts that way Steel Panthers II did with proxy cold war battles.

Quoting for "make this happen goddammit".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Davin Valkri posted:

They already have--it's called Atlantic Fleet.

Oh right, I forgot they made that. I didn't really get into Atlantic Fleet though, cool game but just didn't click for me. If they made Cold Waters in WW2 though I'd be very down for that.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

How's the variety of lasers in CMANO, and are there anyways to add bigger lasers to ships/land? Some people are asking about 1+ MW lasers, and I'd love to know if it could be done.

Look here: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4479

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Popete posted:

Oh right, I forgot they made that. I didn't really get into Atlantic Fleet though, cool game but just didn't click for me. If they made Cold Waters in WW2 though I'd be very down for that.

Have you heard of Silent Hunter?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What if I just desperate want an Age of Rifles like game...also why the hell has no one remade that?

God it covered so many neat small conflicts that way Steel Panthers II did with proxy cold war battles.

Your lips to god's ears, man. I want Age of Rifles, Steel Panthers and Civil War Generals II (I just really liked the latter, humor me) redone with modern graphics and UI conventions but otherwise not changed too much. So much play value in each of those.

Maybe TANKS! too?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

Have you heard of Silent Hunter?

Yeah I've played a number of those, I want a new sub game with pretty graphics though. I rather like the look of Cold Waters.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Popete posted:

Yeah I've played a number of those, I want a new sub game with pretty graphics though. I rather like the look of Cold Waters.

It just seems, after using the MK 16 in the 1968 campaign, a poor platform to simulate actual World War 2 era torpedo attacks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smr posted:

Your lips to god's ears, man. I want Age of Rifles, Steel Panthers and Civil War Generals II (I just really liked the latter, humor me) redone with modern graphics and UI conventions but otherwise not changed too much. So much play value in each of those.

Maybe TANKS! too?

Yeah, I mean I can understand that the field of Steel Panthers being occupied by the updated versions that keep coming out. It's just weird that no one has tried filling the AOR time period, with the exception of Civil War period games. It's like developers don't want to try and make a general engine for the period, which even had naval gunfire support into and rockets, but just super specific stuff. Which I guess makes sense from the pov of "well why sell them everything when we can just keep selling them single battles." Of course that's nothing new.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

It just seems, after using the MK 16 in the 1968 campaign, a poor platform to simulate actual World War 2 era torpedo attacks.

This just means they should add a bunch of plotting tools to the interface

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah this is probably correct. But I think with some tweaks like gradenko_2000 said it could work. I like the simplicity of the game though, you don't have to memorize a bunch of superfluous key bindings. It looks pretty when you blow up stuff.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Id wait to see if uboot is any good it sounds like it will be out this year. Cold waters is fun but gets old quick id definetly get it for those reasons but id wait for either patch or sale.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cold Waters does get pretty rote after a bit. I think I enjoy it as a good Grog Lite game and I want more games like that to come out.

I don't always have hours to spend relearning controls or looking up tutorials to play a game so the idea of games like Cold Waters and Bomber Crew are very appealing. Slick style and at least a passable interface.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any good iPhone grog games

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Popete posted:

Cold Waters does get pretty rote after a bit. I think I enjoy it as a good Grog Lite game and I want more games like that to come out.

I don't always have hours to spend relearning controls or looking up tutorials to play a game so the idea of games like Cold Waters and Bomber Crew are very appealing. Slick style and at least a passable interface.

They also whet your appetite for the actual grog games. I’ve been playing B17 Mighty 8th from 2000 again lately because of Bomber Crew.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

COOL CORN posted:

Really the only stuff out there is by the HexWar guys, reviews vary by game. I never particularly liked them, never played one with decent AI.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

COOL CORN posted:

Isn't Commander: The Great War on iOS?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
https://itunes.apple.com/app/carrier-battles-for-guadalcanal/id961994680?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh both of those are only on iPad, not iPhone. Oh well!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
At least you are close I use android and we got bupkis

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dtkozl posted:

At least you are close I use android and we got bupkis

Pretty much only John Tiller ports, I think.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Some dude made a mapmod for WitW and it actually looks really loving good. Not as good as hand-drawn WitE map, but still pretty awesome, and the dude is still working on it. So I could finally bear to play through the D-Day Campaign.

Once the strategic bombing took hold the German units would just shatter and disappear. I saw what might've been an attempt at a Bulge style attack, but I smucked it with some reserves. Overall I'm pretty pleased. Amazing what a decent looking map will do for immersion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn I gotta do my third play-through then!

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
I'm thinking of doing a Cold Waters playthrough using the big "extra boats" mod as a Collins Class in '86. Pray for me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yooper posted:

Some dude made a mapmod for WitW and it actually looks really loving good. Not as good as hand-drawn WitE map, but still pretty awesome, and the dude is still working on it. So I could finally bear to play through the D-Day Campaign.

Once the strategic bombing took hold the German units would just shatter and disappear. I saw what might've been an attempt at a Bulge style attack, but I smucked it with some reserves. Overall I'm pretty pleased. Amazing what a decent looking map will do for immersion.

Got a link to this?

Farthest I've gotten in WitW is about halfway up the Italian peninsula. The air game is still just a complete mystery to me and it kinda ruins things.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Wait, where is this hand drawn map of WitE?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drone posted:

Got a link to this?

Farthest I've gotten in WitW is about halfway up the Italian peninsula. The air game is still just a complete mystery to me and it kinda ruins things.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4369252

I played 45 turns or something and just let the AI do its thing for most of the air war. According to the graphs I wasn't making much impact on fuel or armament production, but for the first 12 turns or so I bombed the gently caress out of railways and railyards. Eventually this added up and what was full strength German Divisions would just shatter. I'm assuming as they had no ammo or fuel. Weather screwed me a lot too. Suddenly I'd try to assasult and find it stopped, dead, as it had no air cover, especially in Germany itself. I'm going to do another round with an alternate invasion location and play with the air war more. I'll look into an effort post...

sgbyou posted:

Wait, where is this hand drawn map of WitE?

A dude named Jison made a mapmod for WitE. unfortunately his site doesn't have it anymore so I've got a copy on Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaezpep5wyt5x6a/MapMod.WitE.September%20%281%29.rar?dl=0

And there's "A Rainy Day in Russia" which tones down the colors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btlq8jxbq6u48ii/aRainyDayInRussia%20%281%29.zip?dl=0

And a fix for a wrong hex.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdby8awdvlip7xx/aRainyDayInRussia_Map_fix.rar?dl=0

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Awesome! Thanks.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Drone posted:

Pretty much only John Tiller ports, I think.

What, no love for Combat Mission: Touch? Although I'm pretty sure that will want a tablet...

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Oh man, can't wait for Trotsky's War to get ported to TOAW IV. :getin:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The scenario list for TOAW IV is out, in handy PDF format !

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/TOAoW4_scenarios-list_low-res(4).pdf

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

Holy crap that’s one hell of a list!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

quote:

Midway 1942
Battle of Eastern Solomons 1942
Operation MI
Battle of Leyte Gulf 1944
Battle of Santa Cruz Islands 1942
Pearl Harbor 1941
Coral Sea 1942
Savo Island 1942
Pacific at War 1941-1945

Holy balls, it looks like they're throwing the gauntlet down on having playable naval combat this time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hot take: all strategic turn-based naval combat should use empire of the sun as a starting point

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

StashAugustine posted:

hot take: all strategic turn-based naval combat should use empire of the sun as a starting point

It's good but I think a lot of people go to the pacific war for detailed naval combat and empire of the sun is not that- it's really good in service to its game design, but detailed it is not.

Unfortunately all the attempts just make it clunkier or worse and many of the games make ships move around like corps and armies, lol.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

mllaneza posted:

Wait, drat, there are Civil War and earlier scenarios in that list - I didn't realize they went pre-20th century.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress I’m going to have to buy that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Panzeh posted:

It's good but I think a lot of people go to the pacific war for detailed naval combat and empire of the sun is not that- it's really good in service to its game design, but detailed it is not.

Unfortunately all the attempts just make it clunkier or worse and many of the games make ships move around like corps and armies, lol.

Yeah the moving ships around like armies is what annoys me, I think the back-and-forth offensives of EOTS are what really make it special and other naval games should use that as a starting point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Squiggle posted:

Wait, drat, there are Civil War and earlier scenarios in that list - I didn't realize they went pre-20th century.

Toaw barely works for WW1, stuff even earlier than that is not realistic or fun in the least