Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I feel like an rear end in a top hat posting this since KDR already posted, but if your wedding party prefers coffee or tea, I do pottery. Custom coffee cups or jumbo mugs with a name, word, or logo. All dishwasher/oven/microwave safe. PM me if you want the link to my page. It takes about three to four weeks to complete a custom order, plus whatever shipping time/cost you elect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Koivunen posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat posting this since KDR already posted, but if your wedding party prefers coffee or tea, I do pottery. Custom coffee cups or jumbo mugs with a name, word, or logo. All dishwasher/oven/microwave safe. PM me if you want the link to my page. It takes about three to four weeks to complete a custom order, plus whatever shipping time/cost you elect.

No worries, it's whatever people prefer and you never know who might be lurking and want custom mugs done instead of beer steins.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gratuity question.

Our venue takes care of all of the vendors. Flowers, photographer, officiant, DJ, hair & makeup. Everything. We pay our venue $X, and no one else is paid anything by us directly. They use their preferred vendors for everything.

Under our invoice, the only thing that specifically calls out gratuity says "for hair and makeup, you are responsible for gratuity. If you don't give any, a 20% service fee will be added to your hair & makeup amount as gratuity." That's literally the only line item that says anything about gratuity.

At the end of the invoice, they are tacking on a 21% service fee to basically everything except the venue rental fee. Am I correct in assuming that this service fee includes gratuity, with the exception of our hair & makeup that is specifically called out? Adding another 15-20% gratuity on top of an already-existing 21% service fee doesn't seem to cool, if that's not what the service fee is meant for.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Hello I am here to delurk and say that if anyone orders something from Blue Nile and you have to talk to a person about it, there is a decent chance that person will be me because it is my job now. Feel free to dm me if you want to talk about resizing or ordering or any of that crap. I have a lot of opinions on metal types!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question on negotiating wedding stuff, specifically flowers.

We have 3 flower quotes, ranging from 2800-3600, for 17 centerpieces, 4 groomsmen/bridesmaids, extra tables, etc. No flowers for the ceremony. All of these seem ridiculous, but I'm going to try to negotiate down a bit. What's a reasonable way of going about this? Are these as insane as I think? Am I wrong in thinking that they'd still be making a killing at $1500?

This wedding planning stuff just has me jaded.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 4, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fiancé and I will be finally tying the knot in December. We're eloping, since our families and friends live on completely different continents and we really didn't want to make a spectacle out of it or ask people to spend thousands of dollars to fly in just for us.

Still, I'd like to make the day as special as possible. What do people who elope tend to actually do on the day, since there is no ceremony and no party? Like, we'll have our appointment at the courthouse and will dress up/exchange rings/all that, but like... what else?

I'm drawing a blank beyond "a special dinner at a super-expensive restaurant". Anything else (a trip somewhere) would be saved for a mini-honeymoon and wouldn't really be things that we would do ON that day.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Drone posted:

I'm drawing a blank beyond "a special dinner at a super-expensive restaurant". Anything else (a trip somewhere) would be saved for a mini-honeymoon and wouldn't really be things that we would do ON that day.

Do you want photos done? My dad recently eloped at a place that had a photography session as part of the package but you could hire someone and just pick a location you like and get them done yourselves. Lots of people do photos somewhere other than their wedding venue, just make sure you have a permit if it's somewhere that requires it.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Do you want photos done? My dad recently eloped at a place that had a photography session as part of the package but you could hire someone and just pick a location you like and get them done yourselves. Lots of people do photos somewhere other than their wedding venue, just make sure you have a permit if it's somewhere that requires it.

I've done this for people before. It's nice to commemorate the event and you can show the pictures off.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 8, 2017

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Residency Evil posted:

Question on negotiating wedding stuff, specifically flowers.

We have 3 flower quotes, ranging from 2800-3600, for 17 centerpieces, 4 groomsmen/bridesmaids, extra tables, etc. No flowers for the ceremony. All of these seem ridiculous, but I'm going to try to negotiate down a bit. What's a reasonable way of going about this? Are these as insane as I think? Am I wrong in thinking that they'd still be making a killing at $1500?

This wedding planning stuff just has me jaded.

Vendor here. I provide music (guitar work, MCing and DJing) and I think you just have to go for it. If anything, I would say bid low and see if they'll meet you in the middle / get them to reveal as low as they can go.

It's still a business and has all the normal business expenses. Add the fact that this is largely seasonal and it's going to spike during the high season. I still budget in some wiggle room for negotiation, though.

Push them down low let them counter and go from there. Hopefully it's not a busy weekend and they want to fill the spot. Good luck and congrats!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Okay, we've sorta pinned down some more of the details of our elopement after we had our initial meeting with the clerk of courts yesterday:
  • A Tuesday in mid-December, at 2:30pm.
  • 30-minute civil ceremony at the courthouse. We arrive with our guests (up to 25, but we'll have <10 local friends) ten minutes before our appointment, and hand over our identification and the rings.
  • We'll all then go into the ceremony room (a nice little area set aside for courthouse services). The clerk of courts will read a nice, short statement about love/partnership/blahblah. We can have music, but we probably won't.
  • The courthouse will place the rings out for us on a formal platter, and we'll exchange them once we do the "I do" bit.
  • We kiss, then we and our few guests leave the courthouse and go to the nice restaurant next door (or to the city's annual Christmas market) for a round of drinks/toast/mini-celebration.
Should be all very low-key and relatively relaxed. One of the guests also does wedding photos for friends as a hobby, so we've asked him to do some for us before, during, and after the little ceremony.

Getting a bit nervous now though, since we originally were content to just do the ceremony with the two of us, but then decided afterward that it would be really nice to at least invite a few of our local friends. My partner's parents and siblings likely wouldn't be able to come since they live on the other side of the world, but an aunt/uncle might show up in their stead. My mom lives back in the US and is determined to figure out a way to fly here to Germany if she can, but other than that it's just going to be some mutual friends.

I can't help but shake the feeling that our guests might be bored with how small and intimate (and short) we're keeping it, but whatever. It's not their day, it's ours.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hard to get too bored if it's short. And yeah don't worry bout em, they'll be very happy to be there for you and then you go eat something.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
That sounds like a wonderful wedding! People will not be bored, don't worry. Although having other people there makes you feel nervous now, it's really nice to have others share the happiness and fun of the day.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I joined the legion!

Anyone have useful UK-centric links for (alternative/non-traditional/etc) wedding planning things? Trying to keep this low-budget, we have some ideas but no clue where to start.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I'm positive this has been answered elsewhere a bajillion times, but is there a list or does anyone have any recommendations for a first dance song? We're not musical people and the kind of music we both like, e.g. prog metal, hard rock, does not lend itself to romantic first dance.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We went with "All of Me" by John Legend. Emotional, easy to stand and sway to if (like me) you are not a really good Dancing Person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=450p7goxZqg

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Ours was “Keep On Lovin You” by REO Speedwagon. We don’t really have a Song. We heard it on a car commercial and decided to go with it. Now I guess it’s our Song, and it makes me happy.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
We did Hard to Concentrate by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

But yeah, come to think of it, a lot of random songs from commercials are also surprisingly catchy, non-offensive, and romantic just because that's the mood they are trying to set. But maybe also poll some friends who have not lovely musical tastes? Romantic songs are everywhere. Most are lovely.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Vlex posted:

I'm positive this has been answered elsewhere a bajillion times, but is there a list or does anyone have any recommendations for a first dance song? We're not musical people and the kind of music we both like, e.g. prog metal, hard rock, does not lend itself to romantic first dance.

The answer always lies in professional wrestling themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpS9oFx-OT4

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Writer Cath posted:

The answer always lies in professional wrestling themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpS9oFx-OT4

Clicked on this expecting glorious, I'm a little disappointed.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I thought it was going to be Billy and Chuck’s “You look so good to me” theme.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Here's where I direct clients: https://www.djintelligence.com/charts/

If nothing else, this can jog your thinking in the direction of pieces for different dances. Also, 99% of couples ask to wind down a song after 2/2.5 minutes, so don't be afraid to exercise that option.

The correct choice? Zapp & Roger - "I Wanna Be Your Man"

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Anyone have recommendations on online photo books?

Only one I really know is Shutterfly but I know there are other competitors out there.

Thanks!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I am really happy with our Shutterfly photography book. If you don’t need it urgently, keep your eyes peeled for coupons. They have deals pretty often. If you signed up for The Knot they will give you an email code for a free book.

Edit: obviously it’s not extremely professional looking, but it turned out nice and there’s a ton of options for doing the layout yourself.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Does anybody have any experience ordering their dress from an etsy seller? I'm eyeing three stores (LaceMarry and Mermaid Bridal in China, which both have a ton of positive reviews with actual pictures and by all accounts are legit, and ieie, which is US based). They all seem fairly similar, so I imagine it will just come down to which fabric sample I like best, but figured I'd ask here.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

small bird pudding posted:

Does anybody have any experience ordering their dress from an etsy seller? I'm eyeing three stores (LaceMarry and Mermaid Bridal in China, which both have a ton of positive reviews with actual pictures and by all accounts are legit, and ieie, which is US based). They all seem fairly similar, so I imagine it will just come down to which fabric sample I like best, but figured I'd ask here.

My wife tried to go this route. It was a total disaster. We asked a dress maker to make a clone of another dress,I trying to save about $500 or so. Etsy Dressmaker sent the dress with no insurance, it gets lost by USPS. Basically just got "Whoops, sorry, good luck!" as a response. We bite the bullet and buy the original dress from an actual retailer. That dress works out fine, looked great, etc.

About a month and a half later, the original Etsy dress mysteriously arrives in a chewed up package. USPS finally found it under their sofa I guess. Anyway, it's still before the wedding so we were like "oh boy we can return the 'real' one and save money!"

Except the Etsy dress was total trash, missized, and made from different materials than the samples they sent us. We try to contact the maker and get some sob story about how she's having personal problems and blah blah, etc. She doesn't offer any refund, but says she will try and sell it on consignment on her store page. So we send it back. 6 months later and it was never even listed.

This person had dozens of 5 star reviews on Etsy. It was a total shitshow, and I wish we hadn't tried to cheap out in the first place. To her credit though, she did eventually send the dress back, after failing to make any effort to sell it. I think we donated it or something.

Be very careful with Etsy

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So we've got most of our little mini-wedding put together: appointment for a short and secular ceremony at the civil registrar's office on the 19th, invitations to a very few local friends, and digital announcements that we'll send out the day of or the day after. Still pending is a restaurant reservation for around ~8 people just after the ceremony, but I'll be getting that this week.

We ordered the rings and got them yesterday, which was a bit of stress because the estimated delivery time from the manufacturer was like... two days before our planned date. Fortunately I was able to talk to them and they knocked a week off of the production time. We're super happy with how they turned out, and the lovely iPhone picture doesn't really do them justice. They're carbon/titanium with beautiful texturing (also on the inside, which doesn't really come out very well in the photo).

The only thing that I'm kinda disappointed in is the weight of the rings. They are very light, to the point where they almost feel like costume jewelry... but I guess that's because carbon and titanium are both very light in general, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Besides the restaurant, the only thing left that I can think of is to figure out if we both want to wear a boutonniere. Since we're not wearing tuxedos (just normal black suits), does a boutonniere even work there? Or just go with a pocket square and nothing on the lapels?

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 5, 2017

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My fiancée has picked out her wedding ring, I’ve seen some nice ones on Etsy but am concerned that if anything goes wrong with my order it will be more of a bitch to resolve than a traditional high street jewellers. Am I being a Luddite about this?

Also need to pick out men’s wedding suits for our beach wedding in Greece this summer and struggling to find something that both suits the climate and colour scheme but fits a man of my dimensions (6’9’ and built like Vince Wilfork)

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Does anyone know if Missouri synod lutheran pastors will do weddings in hotels?

We'd like to get married in one of the hotels next to the airport purely for the convenience of out of town guests; saves the trouble of schlepping everyone from the ceremony to the reception. But if we have to do the ceremony in a church so be it.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The pastor just has to be there, the location doesn't matter.

Source: my roommate ordained herself online, and we held the "ceremony" of signing the documents at my wife's grandparent's house.

Edit: oh right, also in Missouri

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 6, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I am now 13 days out and surprisingly not nervous or stressed at all. It's funny how people pick 2 days after our final headcount numbers were due to our venue to tell us they can't make it. :sigh: I can't wait to see how many cancel a day or two prior.

I gotta say, getting people to respond to the goddamn invite and picking the music were the hardest parts of the whole process.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Krysmphoenix posted:

Edit: oh right, also in Missouri

It's not the state that cares about where the ceremony takes place, it's the denomination. ELCA Lutherans don't care where it is, but Missouri Synod might because they're generally super conservative dicks about lots of things such as barring women pastors, holding closed communion, and prohibiting its members from joining the Freemasons. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to insist that a marriage be conducted in front of the altar and using its standard liturgy.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
[quote="“Henrik Zetterberg”" post="“479982912”"]
I am now 13 days out and surprisingly not nervous or stressed at all. It’s funny how people pick 2 days after our final headcount numbers were due to our venue to tell us they can’t make it. :sigh: I can’t wait to see how many cancel a day or two prior.

I gotta say, getting people to respond to the goddamn invite and picking the music were the hardest parts of the whole process.
[/quote]

Yeah people are terrible at RSVP’ing. Got anyone who lives nearby and didn’t quite make the cut for invites who would want to come last minute and party? Or any guests who would want a +1 that didn’t originally get one?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Hutla posted:

It's not the state that cares about where the ceremony takes place, it's the denomination. ELCA Lutherans don't care where it is, but Missouri Synod might because they're generally super conservative dicks about lots of things such as barring women pastors, holding closed communion, and prohibiting its members from joining the Freemasons. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to insist that a marriage be conducted in front of the altar and using its standard liturgy.

We're definitely getting married using the standard liturgy and all that stuff whether it's required or not; we hate the idea of writing our own vows and such.

I'm Catholic and about to go through the rigamarole of getting permission from the diocese or whatever so I don't begrudge her church's various idiosyncracies.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 7, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Yeah people are terrible at RSVP’ing. Got anyone who lives nearby and didn’t quite make the cut for invites who would want to come last minute and party? Or any guests who would want a +1 that didn’t originally get one?

Yup, we had a tier system that we used. Ours is kind of a destination wedding (Tahoe, and we live in Sac. Lots of family from Ohio though), but not too terrible. The weather was going to be the biggest obstacle but it looks like it’s going to be just fine. Our alternates haven’t had any issue with booking a room at our resort, so it’s been fairly easy to back-fill.

When we scoped the venue exactly one year ago, there was a legit 10 feet of snow, a massive blizzard, and most of the ways into Tahoe shut down due to mud slides. Thankfully this year seems completely opposite.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 7, 2018

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yup, we had a tier system that we used. Ours is kind of a destination wedding (Tahoe, and we live in Sac. Lots of family from Ohio though), but not too terrible. The weather was going to be the biggest obstacle but it looks like it’s going to be just fine. Our alternates haven’t had any issue with booking a room at our resort, so it’s been fairly easy to back-fill.

When we scoped the venue exactly one year ago, there was a legit 10 feet of snow, a massive blizzard, and most of the ways into Tahoe shut down due to mud slides. Thankfully this year seems completely opposite.

All of that is awesome! Good luck with everything!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Anyone done a destination wedding in Mexico? Is it standard to choose a resort, pay the deposit for travel and then plan the wedding part? The travel agent we talked to said that is the standard, but I've made a few more appointments for variety.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

My partner and I are planning on getting engaged soon. We will almost definitely be buying rings online, but we want to go look at and try some in a store first to make sure our preferences re internet pictures line up with our preferences re things on our fingers. What's the best way to do that without having to deal with pushy salespeople? Are there chains to avoid or ones we should go to because they'll be really accommodating? We're in a large city so we will probably have a lot of jewelry store options.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Do you have any local small business jewelers? They tend to be the best.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My wedding was 10 days ago up in Tahoe. It snowed the night prior, so we got a lot of really rad first-look and wedding party pictures outside in like a foot of snow.

Everything turned out great. Wearing a ring still feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
We are getting married abroad and having a party when we return. Our venue has a sound system, so the dilemma is do we make up a huge party playlist and plug an iPod in or do we pay a DJ £300 for the pleasure?