Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Jabberlock posted:

I was born in '92 and I don't know what any of these things are. :confused:

90s kids were born in the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

A child dies in this commercial :cmon:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
Did anyone here read Cracked? I always felt like MAD was okay but I would read Cracked cover to cover as a kid. Also I'm sad that I've never been able to find a Cracked torrent or something anywhere and I've run across multiple archives of like every MAD a bunch of times.

Also, I won a year of the Sega Channel from a NextGen magazine contest but it was near its end of life and I only got around 6 months

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Breakfast Feud posted:

The secretary at my old job would talk about this kind of poo poo all the time. How her kids have no initiative. She grew up in 70s California and goes on and on about how they would ride bikes everywhere and go out for the entire day and all that junk. So of course, her and her husband moved to an embryonic suburb outside the city limits with nothing around but empty fields and a highway. If you wanted to take your life into your hands and bike to the nearest gas station you'd be out at least an hour each way. Wonder why the kids stay home...

My sister lives in a suburb bordering one of the biggest cities in Florida. If the kids wanted to get their heads out of their iphones (she really got them iphones) and tablets and go outside to play with other kids, they could. It's hardly a rose tinted glasses "this is actually kinda dangerous" situation. They're just lazy, complacent, and spoiled.

finalellipsis posted:

Did anyone here read Cracked? I always felt like MAD was okay but I would read Cracked cover to cover as a kid. Also I'm sad that I've never been able to find a Cracked torrent or something anywhere and I've run across multiple archives of like every MAD a bunch of times.

Also, I won a year of the Sega Channel from a NextGen magazine contest but it was near its end of life and I only got around 6 months

Oh man, I used to have a subscription to MAD for years. Think I finally let it lapse when I was around 14 or so but I loved their movie parodies like when the first X-Men came out and the covers kicked rear end.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the kids nowadays will be fine, post more 90s stuff

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

finalellipsis posted:

Cracked was knockoff MAD. This is such a weird opinion.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
the irony is that 90s kids were getting into more trouble than their parents would like being out an about

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn49zxXRHhA

I always struggle to remember the name of this show.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pulvis Sumus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn49zxXRHhA

I always struggle to remember the name of this show.

80's, and i dont think there is any more egregious cartoon in terms of "this was obviously made to sell toys"

bravestarr is pretty intense for an 80's cartoon. it was made by filmation, who did he-man and other cartoons. bravestarr was one of if not their last production. it's about a cowboy/indian hybrid who is the lawman in a small space western town. he fights tex hex, who has an array of incredibly heavy metal inspired powers - in one episode to escape he turns into a scorpion who crawls into a hole. in another episode he turns into a screaming skull who flies into space. really the whole show is extremely metal in that cheesy lovely way that only the 80's could pull off

this sequence from the bravestarr movie explains a bit of his backstory, involving an epic nuclear war involving the demonic ghost bull, Stampede, and his army of titanic screaming robotic demons who shoot lasers from their horns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlpc1CFjXo&t=2037s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

that game is better remembered for the commercials than the actual product, because the commercials were peak-radical but the actual game was so very, very lame

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Cracked was knockoff MAD. This is such a weird opinion.

I preferred Cracked too. :shrug:

What I really looked forward to, though, were LEGO Magazine and these weird little animal fact sheets. You’d get 10? random ones a month and stick them in a provided binder. They were in the vein of Zoobooks, but it was called something else. Can’t figure it out. No idea how my poor-rear end mom managed to let me get those for so long. I’m sure it was wildly overpriced.

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I preferred Cracked too. :shrug:

What I really looked forward to, though, were LEGO Magazine and these weird little animal fact sheets. You’d get 10? random ones a month and stick them in a provided binder. They were in the vein of Zoobooks, but it was called something else. Can’t figure it out. No idea how my poor-rear end mom managed to let me get those for so long. I’m sure it was wildly overpriced.

A buddy of mine and I had the military aircraft equivalent of zoobooks. They were super fun to look through and provided great inspiration for our LEGO projects.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Perhaps a penguin posted:

A buddy of mine and I had the military aircraft equivalent of zoobooks. They were super fun to look through and provided great inspiration for our LEGO projects.

gently caress! That would have been equally cool. I really liked animals though.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Did anyone's mom steal cable or was it always up to the dad to do it?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The American Dream posted:

we didn't have cable but my dad would make illegal copies of tapes from the video rental store, especially if we ever rented a movie twice

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The American Dream posted:

We only stole cable because the cable company never disconnected it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When i was a kid I thought that weird hosed up robot voice in Joe montana sports talk football was actually Joe Montana.

Is there any way I can change Siri to sound like that? Hauggh cn I help you today gargle gargle

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
these games deserve a remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlQpriAEb8M

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Various slime and ooze toys. And other "gross out" stuff.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

my dog died im sad posted:

Various slime and ooze toys. And other "gross out" stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/yNf69Xp.mp4

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

We only stole cable because the cable company never disconnected it.

yeah, when we moved the cable company just never disconnected it from the previous owners so we had free cable with hbo, showtime and cinemax for a few months until someone noticed and disconnected it. someone from the cable company called my mom and started yelling at her about stealing, but it was 100% their fault since we never touched anything on the pole or otherwise tried to circumvent any security. even when my parents caved and started paying they wouldn't let the cable company drill holes on the house for a security box and the traps for the premium channels were just hanging there in the open, so when we wanted to watch something in the evening we would just take them off and put them back when we were done.

my brother ended up with free cable tv at college because whenever they ordered cable internet service the techs just never bothered to install a trap for the tv service. they even did that "now remember, you aren't supposed to hook up a tv to this *wink* *wink*" on their way out.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 10, 2017

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
My dad had one of those boxes that looked just like the regular cable box. He probably bought it from some guy at a bar or ordered it from a metal detector magazine.

It was great, hbo was a little fuzzy, but not too bad. It was fun at school when people would talk about how scary are you afraid of the dark was that weekend and I was busy watching someone get sawed in half and usually saw some boobs on tales from the crypt at the same time.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
when 9/11 happened i was home sick from school. i was channel surfing and came across the live news footage. i yelled to my mom to come check out these amazing graphics in this movie. lol

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

boner confessor posted:

80's, and i dont think there is any more egregious cartoon in terms of "this was obviously made to sell toys"

bravestarr is pretty intense for an 80's cartoon. it was made by filmation, who did he-man and other cartoons. bravestarr was one of if not their last production. it's about a cowboy/indian hybrid who is the lawman in a small space western town. he fights tex hex, who has an array of incredibly heavy metal inspired powers - in one episode to escape he turns into a scorpion who crawls into a hole. in another episode he turns into a screaming skull who flies into space. really the whole show is extremely metal in that cheesy lovely way that only the 80's could pull off

this sequence from the bravestarr movie explains a bit of his backstory, involving an epic nuclear war involving the demonic ghost bull, Stampede, and his army of titanic screaming robotic demons who shoot lasers from their horns

Ah yeah, figures it's 80's. I was born in 87 and remember watching this all the time on Cartoon Network in the mid 90's. Bravestarr... man that's a show I haven't thought about in a while.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

boner confessor posted:

that shits stupid

Jayce is where it's at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

George H.W. oval office posted:

I remember crying because Nerf had an ad campaign saying if you didn’t have nerf you were just a target and my brother had a nerf gun and I didn’t.

lol poo poo was that add produced by the NRA? instilling that 2nd amendment mindset young

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

we didn't have cable but my dad would make illegal copies of tapes from the video rental store, especially if we ever rented a movie twice

Yep, mine too, copyright violating dads best dads

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

False, I was born in 1998 and don't remember

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HELLBITCH posted:

hosed up if true.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

Skoll posted:

hosed up if true.

Have you read Ender's Game where the children achieve world domination by posting on the BBS? Well we're here bitch

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

HELLBITCH posted:

You aren't a 90s kid.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

HELLBITCH posted:

Shoehead posted:

You aren't a 90s kid.

Leave this place, profligate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LbWWx80ZPA

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HELLBITCH posted:

Have you read Ender's Game where the children achieve world domination by posting on the BBS? Well we're here bitch

I have in fact, read Ender's Game.

E: the movie sucked tho

Sagan
Jan 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hahahahha I remember SubSeven. We had them installed in some of the computer lab PCs in High school. Those old Dell optiplexes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neukoln19 posted:

You may remember never having this

Wtf is that? :randstare:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
video games that weren't all halo knock offs

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Magius1337est posted:

video games that weren't all halo knock offs

Or fps with rpg mechanics!!!!!!!!111!!!!!1!!!!!11!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i think some of the 'parents over-monitor kids these days' comes from too strict legal responsibility for anything bad happening to your kid while you werent watching them for 30 minutes.

thats what i think of when people talk about 'accountability' as the solution to all problems. accountability tends to lead to bureaucracy, documentation, and monitoring beyond the point of reason and the end result is often just a legally standardized scapegoat for inevitable problems.

• Locked thread