Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo

Don't pretend that isn't what you're doing here. This is just a bunch of self-aggrandizing performative horseshit, so you can reinforce the narrative in your brain that communists are just too crazy to be taken seriously. Then when people explain to you that atrocities are inherent functions of war, or that you're literally regurgitating Nazi historiography - this only further validates your grandstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If this was the 1940s Typo would be one of the people who dismiss every war crime the nazis committed with the necessity of fighting godless bolshevism.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

If this was the 1940s Typo would be one of the people who dismiss every war crime the nazis committed with the necessity of fighting godless bolshevism.

nah, not really: stalin could be reasoned with and kept the deals he made, hitler wasn't and that was obvious by the 1940s

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

nah, not really: stalin could be reasoned with and kept the deals he made, hitler wasn't and that was obvious by the 1940s

lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Don't pretend that isn't what you're doing here. This is just a bunch of self-aggrandizing performative horseshit, so you can reinforce the narrative in your brain that communists are just too crazy to be taken seriously. Then when people explain to you that atrocities are inherent functions of war, or that you're literally regurgitating Nazi historiography - this only further validates your grandstanding.

I think the only person reinforcing the narrative that communists are just too crazy to be taken seriously is yourself actually

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Woah the Jude Law movie about Stalingrad... excellent source

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

Honest Joe Stalin

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

I think the only person reinforcing the narrative that communists are just too crazy to be taken seriously is yourself actually

You literally said that "German officers knew to surrender to the Americans," but the American army wouldn't have been nearly as understanding or lenient if the Wehrmacht was committing a genocide in the Mid Atlantic.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Honest Joe Stalin

stalin was actually fairly reliable and in foreign relations purged the soviet union of the crazy world revolution people and more or less just acted like how a russian tsar would act when it come to great power politics

that being said though he did die at a really good time cuz he was going crazy anti-semitic when he was dying and I wouldn't have being surprised if the ussr had its own holocaust if he lived

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Actually the real problem with Hitler was that he couldn't be trusted to keep his deals.
:goonsay:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
he outlines as much in his 1925 best-seller, Hitler: Die Kunst des Deals

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA60L_NQYm0&t=4s

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Stalin was crazy, and a czar, but not crazy like other crazy people, who he purged. But still crazy, and everyone else was, too. Except Hitler. That guy just didn't stick to his word! Which was the real problem. Not being crazy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Typo, I'm not going to argue against what you're saying in terms of the actions of the Red Army. I am curious what you see as their significance in this context. Is there a casual connection between Communism and the mass rapes you're talking about? How does it function, can you explain it?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

dis is strictly prohibited

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hey guys what's u:yikes:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
agreedo on stalin and hitler

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Typo posted:

no, i was out doing stuff with ppl, while I'd love to listen to more rape apologia from you I do have other commitments in life

"i'm not upset at all"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

since C-SPAM got named LF, i'm assuming the spectre of lf thread is evolving

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

can we just have a stalin thread separate from this one. i'm tired of him splitting the left

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a question tangentially related to this argument: In the book Post War by Tony Judt, he mentions in passing that after the war, the Soviets added a law allowing for war crimes prosecution against soldiers and officers who committed crimes against civilians in territory occupied by the Red Army. He asserts that this was done so that Stalin's dystopian police state could imprison troublesome soldiers at will since basically all of them were guilty of this crime. Have any of you run into that claim in other propaganda whitewashing Nazism?

It's been very difficult to be get a bead on the ideology of the book. The author condemns Thatcher and neoliberalism at times but also seems to hate Europe's welfare States for neoliberal reasons. I guess it's possible that he's saying political economy is land of contrasts. The one consistency through the narrative is the focus on European Jews who survived the Holocaust and remained in Europe after the war.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Does anyone remember the guy banned from LF for saying Red Army rapes were revolutionary?

tapine
Sep 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Does anyone remember the guy banned from LF for saying Red Army rapes were revolutionary?

quind?

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Business Gorillas posted:

since C-SPAM got named LF, i'm assuming the spectre of lf thread is evolving

this isn't even our final form

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ahh memories

tapine
Sep 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i never really followed that whole thing, i'm pretty sure he's the guy who helldump discovered had a folder full of pictures of a goonette or something? i remember people being harsh on him because he was a communist back when it wasn't fashionable to be correct

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think quind was an extreme weirdo in a way that wasn't just being a communist before it was cool. I think somebody once tore into him because he was too agoraphobic to go outside to buy weed, and wanted someone to throw it up to his dorm window.

tapine
Sep 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think quind was an extreme weirdo in a way that wasn't just being a communist before it was cool. I think somebody once tore into him because he was too agoraphobic to go outside to buy weed, and wanted someone to throw it up to his dorm window.

oh yeah ahahaha

but it was definitely way less fashionable to be openly communist back then, this was during the era of moronic libertarianism in d&d

now it seems like the era of empty megathreads because destroying the forum was the only way to stop the spread of communist ideology

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the way you guys are arguing is starting to make me think ww2 was a bad thing

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Pointing out" mass rape by the Red Army is an intentional effort to try and delegitimize the Soviet Union's conduct in World War 2, despite the official Soviet policy against rape and its punishment by death, which was actually enforced. The implication here being that because some Soviet soldiers committed atrocities in Germany, that somehow means that communism is illegitimate and that the Soviet state was just as bad as the Nazis.

Nobody "just says" these things, especially not when they uncritically recycle exaggerated reports of atrocities intentionally cultivated by Nazis and people sympathetic to Nazis - which is literal Nazi historiography.

delete your account

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I'm confused. When did anyone say anything about mass rape being the policy of the USSR or communism as a whole? Or being equivalent to Nazi crimes? All I'm saying irt the atrocities are that:

- They happened on an unbelievable scale
- That they were....bad? :thunk:

If you can't own up to that, you shouldn't be an ally in making a case for communism. Period. It's amazing how out of touch some of you really are.

I haven't followed this thread closely enough to glean any kind of claim from typo that mass rape was Stalin's official policy or unique to communism, but feel free to correct me if I missed something.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
there are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Stalin and the Soviet Union but ‘the Red Army’s contribution to WWII’ is such a loving weird hill to die on

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo's meltdown was so thorough and absolute I forgot Yossarian made some bad posts too.

Yossarian-22 posted:

The amount of denial irt soviet/maoist atrocities among tankies is loving unreal

"ya but those are nazi arguments, are you a nazi?" doesn't sound disingenuous to me at all

lol

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Yossarian-22 posted:

I'm confused. When did anyone say anything about mass rape being the policy of the USSR or communism as a whole? Or being equivalent to Nazi crimes? All I'm saying irt the atrocities are that:

- They happened on an unbelievable scale
- That they were....bad? :thunk:

If you can't own up to that, you shouldn't be an ally in making a case for communism. Period. It's amazing how out of touch some of you really are.

I haven't followed this thread closely enough to glean any kind of claim from typo that mass rape was Stalin's official policy or unique to communism, but feel free to correct me if I missed something.

how about you "delete your account" you tiresome sea-lioning dunce

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

"Qui bono?" asks the valiant intellectuals of cspam, wary that saying poo poo stinks on an internet message board will surely help nazis

*galaxy brain* Pointing out abu grahib torture hurts are troops and helps ISIS, folks. ISIS says these things. Do you support ISIS?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Nice meltdown

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Any body who posts 4x is a row should be banned regardless of the content of those posts. Just my opinion. Follow me on twitter folks.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

follow Work Friend Keven @samkriss

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

GunnerJ posted:

Typo, I'm not going to argue against what you're saying in terms of the actions of the Red Army. I am curious what you see as their significance in this context. Is there a casual connection between Communism and the mass rapes you're talking about? How does it function, can you explain it?

I don't think believing in communism makes you a rapist no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

A Typical Goon posted:

there are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Stalin and the Soviet Union but ‘the Red Army’s contribution to WWII’ is such a loving weird hill to die on

the red army played an instrumental role in defeating nazi germany but its soldiers also committed lots of rapes including on underaged girls

those two facts can both be true at the same time

there's absolutely legit criticism of the mass rape of civilians part of red army's contribution to wwii

Typo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 11, 2017