Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

guess who just bought one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

:same:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you fuckers

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

guy still has 5 up for grabs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he's gonna be like "blyat! five order from america in same hour! i should have increase price!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sultans of blyat~

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
are those things common enough that people have translated the specs from russian?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i saw that there's a manual with a circuit diagram, and google translate exists, so it looks like a fun puzzle

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Midjack posted:

guy still has 5 up for grabs

just grabbed a couple from that seller, good deal even after shipping

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

are those things common enough that people have translated the specs from russian?

there's at least one seller advertising them with documentation in english included so it exists for sure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

there is some arduino sample code out there too so yeah, looks like information is available

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

i saw that there's a manual with a circuit diagram, and google translate exists, so it looks like a fun puzzle

but my friend it is therty dollar price for the diagram

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, i get for free from Boris.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sagebrush posted:

note that the russians have had a helmet-mounted display for the last thirty years

:iamafag:

but seriously that's all it needs to be. the pilot's gaze direction is tracked by the cockpit and the missile seeker heads are slaved to that vector. so instead of maneuvering to line the plane up with the target, the pilot just has to locate the bad guy somewhere in his forward field of view, turn his head to put the target in that circle, and press a button, and the missile heads all rotate and lock on and can be fired from like 70 degrees off-axis. i believe this was introduced in 1989

1) the F-35 helmet is only 5 or 6 lbs, not 30.

2) we've had helmet-mounted displays, too. The F-35 helmet is waaaaaay more than a HUD (in concept/ambition at least). You're directly connected to IR cameras mounted all over the fuselage, affording full vision of your entire environment and the ground instead of just whatever you can see out of the canopy. It's cool as poo poo. Yeah, it's way too expensive, whatever. You can make that case without calling it a 30 lb Russian football helmet.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 11, 2017

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

at the date posted:

1) the F-35 helmet is only 5 or 6 lbs, not 30.

2) we've had helmet-mounted displays, too. The F-35 helmet is waaaaaay more than a HUD (in concept/ambition at least). You're directly connected to IR cameras mounted all over the fuselage, affording full vision of your entire environment and the ground instead of just whatever you can see out of the canopy. Yeah, it's way too expensive, whatever. You can make that case without calling it a 30 lb Russian football helmet.

alright calm down grover

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

communism bitch posted:

alright calm down grover

die

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
rude!

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

perhaps in some kind of airstrike, from some kind of plane

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
https://youtu.be/HpYhY5-cVyk?t=25

Exoskeletons are less badass mechs that you use to fight off the alien queen and more spring loaded vests that allow you to power drive screws into truck frames overhead for 16 hours straight without ending up on disability for shoulder problems.

edit: I can't lie, I would take one of these in a second even if I didn't screw things into car frames all day and I would think it's really cool. Just trying to be as detached and aloof as this guy:

https://twitter.com/SFtheWolf/status/926231049423556608

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 12, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it can't be that much of a step between "drive screws into truck frames" and "drive screws into faces"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i also just bought two of those displays lets make it a group yosproject

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
people on the IRC channel where I idle complaining that all the displays are bought, lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

people on the IRC channel where I idle complaining that all the displays are bought, lol

owned lol

yeah when they arrive sometime in december let's all work together and make something. also you know that this proves amberpos is the way and the light

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
ill start the wiki (i wont)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

you know that this proves amberpos is the way and the light

get banned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

mr fuckin meme professor over here rules the world now and can do whatever the fyck he wants

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Oh look! AI controlled robots that can do parkour!
:shepicide:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

as long as it doesn't start posting its wods on instagram no big deal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

whats wods

is it a qwopbot that continuously evolves into walking backwards on arms while kicking through walls? and why not?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stairs are no longer sufficient protection for us. We're doomed.

:(

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

disrupting the purse snatching market

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

when an AI decides to kill itself at least we know it'll do a flip

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
So we've got 20 years tops before military murderbots are parkouring and 360 noscoping afghani shepherds and wedding parties.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Poniard posted:

when an AI decides to kill itself at least we know it'll do a flip

imo:

a. an ai killing itself is pretty scary
b. an ai not killing itself is double scary

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

communism bitch posted:

So we've got 20 years tops before military murderbots are parkouring and 360 noscoping afghani shepherds and wedding parties.

we already do a good job with drones

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

isn't there already an issue with ai committing suicide when it reaches a certain level of complexity, requiring hard coded steps to prevent it, or did i read that in some sci-fi story

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

which AI are you thinking of exactly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RFC2324 posted:

isn't there already an issue with ai committing suicide when it reaches a certain level of complexity, requiring hard coded steps to prevent it, or did i read that in some sci-fi story

that was an aside in a draco tavern story by larry niven

e: The Schumann Computer

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

we already do a good job with drones

when i first saw the thumbnail of the acro-bot i was just finished watching that ironman style jetpack guy and thinking they could really shave a lot of weight off the legs and torso of an android that just used jets to get around

like half an x-men sentinel or something, a drone/android hybrid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sagebrush posted:

which AI are you thinking of exactly

can't remember details

infernal machines posted:

that was an aside in a draco tavern story by larry niven

e: The Schumann Computer