Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

rawillkill posted:

Some potentially very spoilery stuff about things Luke has done in the past came out.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star-wars-novel-claims-luke-is-able-to-down-entire-star-destroyers/

"The bridge went dark. The overhead lights, the view screens, the blinking lights on the banks of consoles. Even the emergency lighting strips on the floor. All around us was the darkness of space…I saw that the bridge windows were rapidly filling with expanding columns of energy…
A jolt, as if the entire Star Destroyer had been picked up by a giant hand and slammed against the ground. The ship slowed, drifted, stopped and then the stark lifeless surface of Jakku swung into view, filling the windows, and we fell, we fell."

The book is "tall tales" but ... it pretty much confirms Luke was on Jakku I have to say.

“As a cargo ship rockets across the galaxy to Canto Bight, the deckhands on board trade stories about legendary JediKnight Luke Skywalker. But are the stories of iconic and mysterious Luke Skywalker true, or merely tall tales passed from one corner of the galaxy to another? Is Skywalker really a famous Jedi hero, an elaborate charlatan, or even part droid? The deckhands will have to decide for themselves when they hear The Legends of Luke Skywalker.”

That sounds like Starkiller from The Force Unleashed.

I like that last paragraph too.
"I heard that Luke killed Jabba's entire gang by himself."
"I heard that while training, Luke balanced the 12-foot-tall Jedi Master Yoda on his head."
"I heard Luke's parents were killed by a robber on Nar Shadda when he was still a child, so he prowls the streets of the vertical city fighting crime dressed as his most feared animal, the Tattooine cave glider."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That book is a fun read but I don’t know that I’d take it all that seriously. I mean, I guess those spoilers could be correct but I’d take it with a grain of salt considering one of the stories is told from the POV of a mole-flea that lives on Salacious Crumb

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm pretty confident that TLJ will be more than a modest success and make Disney a goodly amount of bank.

But I'm not "announce a new trilogy chained to the film's director" confident.

I think you have to assume Disney knows what it's doing. They've been watching footage of TLJ for over a year now. It's probably good.

That said I would prefer these things be spread out over two years rather than every year, with four years between main series movies. We are also getting a live action Star Wars TV series after all. They will run the risk of oversaturation at this rate.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Slowpoke! posted:

I think you have to assume Disney knows what it's doing.

Why?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/929417196287209479
I think I have a record player in storage somewhere...
Or should I wait another ten years and get the entire Star Wars Saga on vinyl for the same price?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

And still no complete release of any of the prequel soundtracks. :argh:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/929417196287209479
I think I have a record player in storage somewhere...
Or should I wait another ten years and get the entire Star Wars Saga on vinyl for the same price?

I found an original copy of this somewhere and it had an insert with lots of cool notes about the score and specific scenes. It also had an ad/clip-and-mail order form for what have to be some of the first Star Wars shirts. It doesn't have a hologram tho

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

And still no complete release of any of the prequel soundtracks. :argh:

Are you talking vinyl, because I have the 2-disc complete Phantom Menace score on CD.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Are you talking vinyl, because I have the 2-disc complete Phantom Menace score on CD.
That CD is better than any of the other prequels got, but it's still basically just the music audio track of the movie. It's got all the edits and looped music that are in the movie, and is missing a fair amount of material not in the final edit , rather than the original unedited recordings like the OT Special Edition soundtracks have.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I only beat you by 4 hours, sometimes these things happen. You can't blame yourself.

I was so excited, I couldn't help myself.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's fun listening to the "Complete Score" tracks on Youtube

"I am the Senate."
"Boys Into Battle"

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

In response to giving the reigns to Rein before TLJ even hits theaters: They know what they are doing because they've had over two years to watch him and they've been sitting on the footage for over a year. They know it's good. They don't know if it'll do $1.5 billion or $2.2 billion, but they have to have a good idea about whether he is right for the job.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Why would you trust a bunch of Hollywood executives to know if a movie is good when they are as a class of humans legendarily stupid and unconcerned with quality per se

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Slowpoke! posted:

In response to giving the reigns to Rein before TLJ even hits theaters: They know what they are doing because they've had over two years to watch him and they've been sitting on the footage for over a year. They know it's good. They don't know if it'll do $1.5 billion or $2.2 billion, but they have to have a good idea about whether he is right for the job.

They don't know it's good, they expect that it's good. And they're confident enough in their expectations that they're willing to bet a lot of money on being correct.

I don't necessarily think they're wrong!

But I'll laugh if they are.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gadot is def a fascist but man she has amazing cinematic presence.

Edit

Not the trump thread sorry.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

That CD is better than any of the other prequels got, but it's still basically just the music audio track of the movie. It's got all the edits and looped music that are in the movie, and is missing a fair amount of material not in the final edit , rather than the original unedited recordings like the OT Special Edition soundtracks have.

Oh, well, I assumed that was what a complete score was.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Why would you trust a bunch of Hollywood executives to know if a movie is good when they are as a class of humans legendarily stupid and unconcerned with quality per se

I liked TFA and Rogue One, so I trust Kathleen Kennedy has a good idea of what a good Star Wars movie is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Gadot is def a fascist but man she has amazing cinematic presence.

Edit

Not the trump thread sorry.

Gal Gadot for Princess Leia solo movie, you heard it here first.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Gal Gadot for Princess Leia solo movie, you heard it here first.

"May the Force guide to success in carpet bombing this village before any of its children can be kidnapped by the First Order"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
in the interest of not pulling my hair reading each and every one, is there a SW Universe equivalent of steroids?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Drugs_and_medicine

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

in the interest of not pulling my hair reading each and every one, is there a SW Universe equivalent of steroids?

There’s witch magic that was used in the Clone Wars cartoon that turned Darth Maul’s wimpy brother, Savaaj Oppress, into a big buff undead man. So, yes, witch magic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alan Smithee posted:

Stim packs. Though I believe they’re an invention of KOTOR, so I don’t know if they ever made it into a non-video game setting.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Top Gun posted:

In the original film Vader is portrayed as a religious zealot deeply devoted to the force so he's going to be a bit biased.

Sorry to quote you so far far in the past..

In the original Star wars novel there is a scene where Vader is looking at a map of the galaxy and grumbles to himself that you have to zoom in 6 or 7 times to even notice Alderan is gone. I don't think he had a of faith in the DS either.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

DeimosRising posted:

No but you see, Disney is different because reasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k_Dap2HRL8

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
I just realized that the second film of the new trilogy begins on planet Act Two :negative:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrPPj3e2M-M

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/929782598913507328

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

This is why Auralnauts is the best.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

504 posted:

Sorry to quote you so far far in the past..

In the original Star wars novel there is a scene where Vader is looking at a map of the galaxy and grumbles to himself that you have to zoom in 6 or 7 times to even notice Alderan is gone. I don't think he had a of faith in the DS either.

That's pretty interesting in light of AotC, where Palpatine removes a planet by changing the maps.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drat, that's a good Anakin.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Gonz posted:

This is why Auralnauts is the best.

I want the last episode to come out so much

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This actually became one of my bigger gripes after seeing AOTC when it came out lmao. I didn't expect Hayden's voice to be so soft sounding. It's a trivial complaint sure, but I kept telling all my friends back then how much better Heath Ledger would have been as Anakin instead because he had a more booming voice. A Knight's Tale also came out like a year before AOTC and I loving loved that movie in high school too :shobon:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

teagone posted:

This actually became one of my bigger gripes after seeing AOTC when it came out lmao. I didn't expect Hayden's voice to be so soft sounding. It's a trivial complaint sure, but I kept telling all my friends back then how much better Heath Ledger would have been as Anakin instead because he had a more booming voice. A Knight's Tale also came out like a year before AOTC and I loving loved that movie in high school too :shobon:

Anakin's voice was already canonically not-booming as of RotJ

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

homullus posted:

Concept: cyborg Sith Lord whose voice is auto-tuned.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's zero chance that isn't already a Daft Punk music video.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kloaked00 posted:

I want the last episode to come out so much

I feel more invested Creepio’s ongoing plot than most canon plots at this point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

There's zero chance that isn't already a Daft Punk music video.

Not a music video per se...
https://youtu.be/BsQHpS4_iAs

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

homullus posted:

That's old-man Anakin's voice we heard. I personally just never expected the guy who would eventually become Vader to sound like Hayden. I was expecting someone with a rugged, deep voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Carrie Fisher's post-ROTJ voice aside, the father of Luke and Leia was never gonna have a rugged , deep voice.