Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm trying to get back into drawing so I made a mario birb for my brother.

I'm aiming to learn something new with every crappy drawing. With this one I learned that feathers are a pain in the rear end to make look right.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Neon Noodle posted:

Dude it costs six dollars.

Procreate costs $10 now.
i mean, $4 difference isn't a huge deal but I have trouble with paying 30-40% more when I suspect it'll be highly discounted in a few weeks. I'm just stubborn and cheap. :colbert:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

"I just .. ugh, listen. Listen. I fuckinnnnng. I can not. Even."

I got panel 6 done, one page to go

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

"I just .. ugh, listen. Listen. I fuckinnnnng. I can not. Even."

Yeah, this was a fantastic pose and I wished I had more than 10 minutes to capture it.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Just yell at them full force "NO NO NO DON'T CHANGE YET I'M NOT DONE CAPTURING THE FEELS OF THIS ONE"

Page 7 starts with a splorp

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Haven't posted, or hell even drawn anything in a really long drat time. Been loving around with hands and doing weird shading exercises.

Really into this style of weird, almost blocky shading, a bit contour line-esque I dunno if there's a proper name for it tbh. Apparently my phone's camera has some weird lense aberration now too, but this is just sketchy sketchbook poo poo anyway.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Hey drawing Goons, Sorry this is only tangently related to Daily Doodles but....

You guys probably don't remember me. but I was a doodle poster back in 09-13'ish and although I've stopped posting like I used to. I still keep up the art. Nowadays I'm a designer on that Rick and Morty show, and do all things TV animation related. I want to invite you guys to come check out my animation/drawing you tube channel. Myself and another artist from the show give drawing tips and talk about working in the animation industry. We also ask aspiring cartoonists to send us their art, and we redraw it from the perspective of animation professionals. Its a cool channel where you get to hang out. learn to draw and laugh sometimes.

I would also love it if you goons would like to submit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdKMP2zthBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBCztpkmpU

Welp. that's my post

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Typical posted:

Hey drawing Goons, Sorry this is only tangently related to Daily Doodles but....

You guys probably don't remember me. but I was a doodle poster back in 09-13'ish and although I've stopped posting like I used to. I still keep up the art. Nowadays I'm a designer on that Rick and Morty show, and do all things TV animation related. I want to invite you guys to come check out my animation/drawing you tube channel. Myself and another artist from the show give drawing tips and talk about working in the animation industry. We also ask aspiring cartoonists to send us their art, and we redraw it from the perspective of animation professionals. Its a cool channel where you get to hang out. learn to draw and laugh sometimes.

I would also love it if you goons would like to submit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdKMP2zthBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBCztpkmpU

Welp. that's my post

Hahaha
nice. I enjoy the premise of this and would like to participate.

But what if Professionals send you their old art to redraw? Still kosher?

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Frown Town posted:

Hahaha
nice. I enjoy the premise of this and would like to participate.

But what if Professionals send you their old art to redraw? Still kosher?

Nice, Im glad you like it! Yes of course. Pro's are welcome as well. We would like to feature a mix skill levels and draw/interpret from everything. I'm sure the viewers would love to see really awesome art featured as well.

Typical fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 10, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

work in progress with ominous cyberpunk lights

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.

This reminds me of that one movie, "Escape from Tomorrow."

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Hmmm. Yeah I guess it's pretty reminiscent of the poster art for that. Guess I unwittingly channeled that. Guess I need to mix it up a bit or something.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Page 7 panel 2 make it snappy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
work in progress stage 2

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
playing w/ procreate

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

dog nougat posted:

Haven't posted, or hell even drawn anything in a really long drat time. Been loving around with hands and doing weird shading exercises.

Really into this style of weird, almost blocky shading, a bit contour line-esque I dunno if there's a proper name for it tbh. Apparently my phone's camera has some weird lense aberration now too, but this is just sketchy sketchbook poo poo anyway.

I like!

Really wanna figure out how to get good coverage/blending with the colored pencils because I have a lot of them from way back in the day.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Those colors are on point. What kind of colored pencils are you using? Higher quality colored pencils will give better coverage and be a lot more layer-able than cheaper ones. I personally really like Caran D'ache's pencils. Really highly pigmented, with minimal binder. They also make a pigmentless blending stick that helps to make the colors pop a bit more as well as blending obviously. Their products aren't cheap, but in my experience they're pretty much the highest quality colored pencils around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FXBPQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Eu0bAb2DSCN5Y

Fake edit: looks like there are other blenders out there as well, can't speak to how well they work since I've never used them.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

dog nougat posted:

Those colors are on point. What kind of colored pencils are you using? Higher quality colored pencils will give better coverage and be a lot more layer-able than cheaper ones. I personally really like Caran D'ache's pencils. Really highly pigmented, with minimal binder. They also make a pigmentless blending stick that helps to make the colors pop a bit more as well as blending obviously. Their products aren't cheap, but in my experience they're pretty much the highest quality colored pencils around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FXBPQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Eu0bAb2DSCN5Y

Fake edit: looks like there are other blenders out there as well, can't speak to how well they work since I've never used them.

Thanks. I see some people's work online with colored pencils and am regularly blown away.
I used Faber Castell Polychromos and then went over that with Caran D'ache Luminance. The medium is 100% cotton bristol which really takes the abuse of my heavy handed technique well.
I tried using isopropyl alcohol for blending on the first layers but it wasn't that great.
I also tried the stick which I have a couple pieces of but I'm not sure if it helped, did nothing or made it worse.
I think I need some special blending solution my main issue is that even with isopropyl the bristol starts getting wavy.
Maybe I should glue it to some backing?
Ideas and tips welcome.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

What I tend to do is get a slightly big piece of bristol and blue-tape it to an MDF board and just cut it off after (since the tape tends to rough up the surface anyway

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks. I see some people's work online with colored pencils and am regularly blown away.
I used Faber Castell Polychromos and then went over that with Caran D'ache Luminance. The medium is 100% cotton bristol which really takes the abuse of my heavy handed technique well.
I tried using isopropyl alcohol for blending on the first layers but it wasn't that great.
I also tried the stick which I have a couple pieces of but I'm not sure if it helped, did nothing or made it worse.
I think I need some special blending solution my main issue is that even with isopropyl the bristol starts getting wavy.
Ideas and tips welcome.

I mean your coverage looks really good to me, but I'm looking at it on a tiny phone screen. It's possible that you've hit the limits of what you can do with the medium really. Paint has 100% coverage, but loses that loose feel of pencil. Not sure how well it'd really work, but have you thought about doing a simple underpainting in watercolor and them covering in pencil once it's dried? You still run the risk of paper curl and some general unevenness of your drawing surface.
Bristol has a tendency to do that when introduced to wet media, and really isn't ideal for wet. You can mitigate some curling issues by stretching your paper to a surface with watercolor tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6OWKyYNKI

What weight paper are you using? Sounds like you need a slightly sturdier/paper. Arches and Fabriano both have some very nice hot-press watercolor papers which are a bit more robust with wet media, but still susceptible to paper curl to some degree. It's been a while since I've looked at papers, but I believe you can find them in a 300 lb weight. Barring that, there's always illustration board that'll basically take whatever you throw at it.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
One million years ago when I did use coloured pencils, I used to keep my white, light grey and light yellow very blunt so it was easy to blend the colours by smooshing them together with those.

The saddest duck. I get the feeling it wants to drown itself.

So I've put in effort today and made more dragonpeople

AND pg7 panel 3, treasure!

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 12, 2017

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

dog nougat posted:

I mean your coverage looks really good to me, but I'm looking at it on a tiny phone screen. It's possible that you've hit the limits of what you can do with the medium really. Paint has 100% coverage, but loses that loose feel of pencil. Not sure how well it'd really work, but have you thought about doing a simple underpainting in watercolor and them covering in pencil once it's dried? You still run the risk of paper curl and some general unevenness of your drawing surface.
Bristol has a tendency to do that when introduced to wet media, and really isn't ideal for wet. You can mitigate some curling issues by stretching your paper to a surface with watercolor tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6OWKyYNKI

What weight paper are you using? Sounds like you need a slightly sturdier/paper. Arches and Fabriano both have some very nice hot-press watercolor papers which are a bit more robust with wet media, but still susceptible to paper curl to some degree. It's been a while since I've looked at papers, but I believe you can find them in a 300 lb weight. Barring that, there's always illustration board that'll basically take whatever you throw at it.

Oh I been using Strathmore 500 plate finish with a good weight to it. I was remarking that it withstood the rough handling very well. Maybe taping it up will do the trick.

I've been wanting to try out some hot press arches watercolor paper, that's defo one of the things to get someday. In the meantime I have a block of Strathmore 400 watercolor paper I can use. I'll try stretching it and see how it goes.

A couple more(on Kraft paper)

My phone-cam doesn't take such a good pic tho.

Gotta go fast

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I finished a painting today

And have been doing some blackout poetry drawings recently

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

loving this one

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
A couple quick drawings. I like the first one because I managed to do it by eye with no ruler in 5 minutes. The next one was a request for my son. But when he got it he refused to hang it in his room because it scared the poo poo out of him. That's a success, I think.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 12, 2017

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Davedave24 posted:

I finished a painting today

And have been doing some blackout poetry drawings recently

Blackout poetry eh? Great concept for making art.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

MITOCHONDRIA IS THE POWERHOUSE OF THE CELL please tell me you named it that. Also, that blackout poetry looks like so much fun, I gotta try that.

Page 07 the penultimate panel

You'll never guess what else I'm gonna start working on too.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Been working on hand lettering and typography for a fake product/logo design I'm gonna paint soon.

Crawl'n Fresh™ Roach Milk

Yeah they're backwards right now, but it's more about getting a feel for the fonts before laying them down for the final design. Kaufmann Bold is the script with the 'F' slightly modified and Erbar Condensed is the san serif for those interested.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Sharpest Crayon posted:

MITOCHONDRIA IS THE POWERHOUSE OF THE CELL please tell me you named it that. Also, that blackout poetry looks like so much fun, I gotta try that.

I called it "Protoplasmic", actually, so not far off.

The word-puzzle aspect of blackout is pretty fun, and finding an arrangement that flows well is very satisfying. I was pruning my bookshelves and had some old books starting to fall apart, I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Crosspost from trad thread, gouache and acrylic on illustration board:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Neon Noodle posted:

drat, this is great. How long did it take you, do you think?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Franchescanado posted:

drat, this is great. How long did it take you, do you think?
Thanks! I did the initial pencil sketch a few days ago, but largely redrew it for the final. Drawing on the illustration board took about an hour or so:

Then I revised the pencil drawing to fix some compositional issues:

Total time on the drawing was probably 2 hours. Then I did a gouache underpainting with a lift-out technique explained here. That took about an hour and a half.

Once that was done, the final color glaze took probably 2 hours, maybe a little more.

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 13, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Neon Noodle posted:

Thanks! I did the initial pencil sketch a few days ago, but largely redrew it for the final. Drawing on the illustration board took about an hour or so:

Total time on the drawing was probably 2 hours. Then I did a gouache underpainting with a lift-out technique explained here. That took about an hour and a half.

Once that was done, the final color glaze took probably 2 hours, maybe a little more.

This is awesome! Thank you. I've been trying to improve my compositions and use of gouache (I mainly use watercolors), so that's a great resource!

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

beautiful!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neon Noodle posted:

The speed at which some of you work is insane. I can't imagine drawing something anywhere near that good after days of work, let alone a mere 5 hours.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Did another scenery today, but I got tired during the colouring, mostly because MyPaint crashed twice. Ah well.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Got some more work done on my Roach Milk logo.

Crawl'n Fresh Farms™
Just used my Instagram photo cuz I can't be bothered to scan it at this point. Plus my mouse keeps registering false double clicks and is a total pain to work with. One of these days I'll buy a new one.

Also found my original idea for Roach Milk, circa late 2011. The hamster cowboy, who rides a rat is a roach farmer. Milking them roaches to bring you what I think was originally supposed to be Kool Kustard brand Roach Milk.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Internet Kraken posted:

The speed at which some of you work is insane. I can't imagine drawing something anywhere near that good after days of work, let alone a mere 5 hours.

Forgot to reply to this before, but speed usually comes with just practise. I do think it's important to specifically practise going quick as well, though. Being quicker means you can iterate more often and try things out that you couldn't get to if you had to be slow and meticulous about everything.

Anyway, today I tried to do a more dynamic, action-kinda thing, and I wanted to try and draw a scooter, so here goes.

• Locked thread