Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Unkempt posted:

Well well well, look who skips the anecdotes.

He goes straight for the poison

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

banned from Starbucks posted:

One of the players brought it up during his interview on monday.

Unkempt posted:

Well well well, look who skips the anecdotes.

No, I always watch the anecdotes, and made sure to do so on Monday to see if they were gonna mention it. Guess I focused too much on Alex, expecting him to say something about it. Must've slipped right by me for some reason.

I missed Tuesday and Thursday's episodes because of working the election and getting home late after a doctor's appointment respectively, so I wasn't sure if it had been mentioned then.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 11, 2017

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

GhostStalker posted:

I missed Tuesday
That's when they mentioned it. The guy in the right hand podium was the one who originally suggested it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

That's when they mentioned it. The guy in the right hand podium was the one who originally suggested it.

Ah, ok. That was the one episode I really wanted to catch since it had the College Champion meme queen Lilly Chin and last year's Teachers Tournament winner (and Facebook friend) Jason Sterlacci hyping it up, but I couldn't get a break from working the election at that time.

There was a diner a couple blocks away that was showing the channel that airs Jeopardy here where I got lunch a couple hours earlier, but no dice on getting over there because of how busy it was at that time and how we scheduled the breaks. Trying to dry off from the rain and asking people not to track water into the polling place as they tried to oust Mayor deBlasio (it's Staten Island, of course they'd go for the no chance Republican in her own Assembly District, even if there was a decent Democratic vote count as well).

Oh well, I'll see if there's any way for me to catch said episode online or something.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So did you ever get your check?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Star Man posted:

So did you ever get your check?

lol, right as the season after mine started back in 2014. Just never bothered to change my av.

Unlike Austin, I didn't get Trebek snarking on me during the interview and a big after credit production of handing it to him, it just came in the mail like almost everyone else. Got a memorable interview in another way though, inadvertently insulting my cousin on national TV.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 12, 2017

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Oh well, I'll see if there's any way for me to catch said episode online or something.

Check the daily discussion thread in the Jeopardy subreddit. Someone always posts a Dailymotion link. That's how I got caught up when it kept getting preempted during the World Series. :argh:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Death Bear posted:

Check the daily discussion thread in the Jeopardy subreddit. Someone always posts a Dailymotion link. That's how I got caught up when it kept getting preempted during the World Series. :argh:

Figured as much. Someone already had a YouTube upload of my episode up the day before it aired, though it was taken down soon after. An acquaintance from the New York Comic Con volunteer network also found a decent one online when I asked and put it in his DropBox soon after. Downloaded a copy myself just to be safe and kept another in my Google Drive for when I get nostalgic or get asked to provide a link.

Sony Pictures Television also prints DVD copies of your episodes on demand if you ask via the Jeopardy production company or contestant coordinators, according to what I've heard from other contestants, but the price is said to be pretty drat high.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I hope there is still a chance for Austin. I know he can be a bit much but I adore him because he's so genuinely happy for the two people who have beaten him. Seriously watch his two losses and he is almost as excited for them as they are.
I love a good loser.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Stairs posted:

I hope there is still a chance for Austin. I know he can be a bit much but I adore him because he's so genuinely happy for the two people who have beaten him. Seriously watch his two losses and he is almost as excited for them as they are.
I love a good loser.

You get your chance , Austin's semi-final is tonight

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Spiciest memelord had too much missionary on her mind.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
I love how Lisa and Seth swept the manga category on Thursday, then everyone struggled with basic Sci-Fi on Friday. They went from "Of course we know Shingeki no Kyojin and Kozure Ōkami. Why wouldn't we?" to "Frank Herbert's Dune? What's that?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Spiciest memelord had too much missionary on her mind.

Spiciest memelord was really mad that she missed a clue that was actually about a meme.

For the final I immediately made the Hamlin connection but didn't know that was literally the guy's name and spent the whole time thinking about whose name could have been modified derivation of it :downs:

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 14, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

haveblue posted:

Spiciest memelord was really mad that she missed a clue that was actually about a meme.

For the final I immediately made the Hamlin connection but didn't know that was literally the guy's name and spent the whole time thinking about whose name could have been modified derivation of it :downs:

Same.

"Wait, did we have a VP named Hamlin?"

No one cares about Vice Presidents.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol Lisa's demeanor through all of double jeopardy could only be described as immensely annoyed

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lisa looks personally attacked.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
came here to lol at Lisa pouting like a child during the entirety of double jeopardy

should have known you'd already have it covered

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Man, nothing like the Tournament of Champions to make me feel like a dumbass. I don't even have a guess for like, 2/3 of these questions.

vvvv I kind of got the impression she was in pain or panicking, or maybe both.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 15, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Pouting? I thought she was having a panic attack.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zesty posted:

Pouting? I thought she was having a panic attack.

She was nearly gasping for air at one point.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Mister Kingdom posted:

She was nearly gasping for air at one point.

poo poo, they all were exhausted by the time final came around.

Lisa's the only one that broke at the end though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

drat, it looks like I missed a helluva episode today. Looks like another buzzsaw from Buzzy happened.

Yesterday's episode had three of my favorites for the Finals all in one semi, and I was super disappointed at the draw that had them all play each other there. Of course Austin came out on top though. At least it was a pretty close game, I guess.

haveblue posted:

Colonial Air Force posted:

Same.

"Wait, did we have a VP named Hamlin?"

No one cares about Vice Presidents.
For that Final, I had heard of Hamlin due to reading up on Civil War histories and such, but couldn't connect the name to the German city because I was hung up on Bremen for some reason instead.

Spiciest memelord tried to meme and couldn't, what a shame.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I love how Lisa and Seth swept the manga category on Thursday, then everyone struggled with basic Sci-Fi on Friday. They went from "Of course we know Shingeki no Kyojin and Kozure Ōkami. Why wouldn't we?" to "Frank Herbert's Dune? What's that?"

:same:

So who's left in the last semi? Alan Lin and Pranjal, right? Austin vs Buzzy already looks like a good Final, adding Alan there would make it pretty interesting as well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 15, 2017

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

j! street boyz really do roll deep

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Jeopardy contestants are a bunch of crybabies: Confirmed.

Lisa having a panic attack because she was failing super hard and being all "gently caress it, I quit/I'm going home" during Final Jeopardy was hilarious, if a bit sad.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the end during the credits when alex talks to the players is really awkward, she just slumps over the podium thing all dejected and you can see alex try to talk to her
now i wanna rewatch the game she lost during her run to see how she was then.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Honestly, I'd get pretty upset too if I was losing that badly in a game where that loving weirdo Buzzy was winning.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

banned from Starbucks posted:

the end during the credits when alex talks to the players is really awkward, she just slumps over the podium thing all dejected and you can see alex try to talk to her
now i wanna rewatch the game she lost during her run to see how she was then.

Some of you are acting like she was blubbering up there and collapsed at the end of the game. She obviously wasn't happy about how the game went but she was just leaning on the podium while having a conversation with Alex. God drat.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jummy posted:

Some of you are acting like she was blubbering up there and collapsed at the end of the game. She obviously wasn't happy about how the game went but she was just leaning on the podium while having a conversation with Alex. God drat.

I can only imagine you have such a demoralizing effect on all the women around you at all times that you can't recognize a genuine barely-restrained emotional breakdown when you see one. It was super awkward.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Syzygy Stardust posted:

I can only imagine you have such a demoralizing effect on all the women around you at all times that you can't recognize a genuine barely-restrained emotional breakdown when you see one. It was super awkward.

I'm sorry that when I see a woman having a hard time I don't immediately assume she's about to have a complete and utter mental collapse.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

To me she just looked like she was pissed off, not that she was about to break down in hysterics or anything.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah, I inferred "sore pissbaby loser" more than "mental collapse" from the way she was acting

Either way though, I will agree that it was super awkward

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Jeopardy contestants are a bunch of crybabies: Confirmed.

Lisa having a panic attack because she was failing super hard and being all "gently caress it, I quit/I'm going home" during Final Jeopardy was hilarious, if a bit sad.

I just wanna chime in here and say we're not all fuckin dorks

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

She seemed really frustrated as her chances of winning kept dropping. Final Jeopardy was the last straw - when she realized she had no idea and she'd bet everything she was pissed.

It didn't seem like a panic attack or anything, just somebody getting really ticked off at the situation and then getting angry at her own frustration.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
She looked like someone who had gambling debts and had promised her semifinal winnings to keep her kneecaps.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
:goonsay: Oh my lawd! She had the vapors!

You guys over dramatize stuff. Sure it was awkward but more like she was really frustrated. Oh my god someone reacted. GET THE TORCHES!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm on Team Lisa, because we have all been at the point where we feel like, "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out", but she couldn't just leave and had to stay and try, but really did not want to. Maybe its because I feel like that at least 70% of the time at my job.

Also, if I was losing to someone who actually went by the name Buzzy, i'd been annoyed to.

Also again, everyone defending Buzzy and Austin's douche-chill inducing personalities, but piling on the :females:

When Austin went over his pre-rehearsed spiel about how he was going to travel, I longed for that one lady to talk about her love of tiny donkeys...and I hated that lady.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Also, looking up stuff online and falling down the 'past Jeopardy! champs' rabbit hole made me realize I play board games with a guy who made it into the Ultimate Tournament of Champions in 2005, so I no longer feel bad for losing to him like 90% of the time.

It's funny, because he's a humble dude who everyone knows was on Jeopardy!, but he's chill as gently caress and never talks or brags about it so i just assumed he was on a couple of shows at most.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Hey buddy, gently caress you.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol this is actually real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mennoknight posted:

I just wanna chime in here and say we're not all fuckin dorks

You have made extremely similar posts in this very thread.