Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hmmm. It's almost like how good games look has more to with the amount of talent an resources that went into making it vs. the specs on the side of a graphics card box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Hmmm. It's almost like how good games look has more to with the amount of talent an resources that went into making it vs. the specs on the side of a graphics card box.

Ur right, they could have made Wolf3D look as good as Wolf 2017 if only they hired a sufficiently talented team.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

This is a really funny statement from someone who talks about Nintendo's amazing standards, quality and polish and how other companies can't compete.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This is a really funny statement from someone who talks about Nintendo's amazing standards, quality and polish and how other companies can't compete.

How?

Thesis: Nintendo focuses on engaging gameplay rather than graphics.

All that quote did was support that thesis, unless you think "standards","quality",and "polish" only refer to graphics.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nintendo focuses on selling infantile garbage to mentally stunted manchildren.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Can't believe a video game developer would do that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I only play Adult Games :q:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

a bone to pick posted:

Thesis: Nintendo focuses on engaging gameplay rather than graphics.

[Citation Needed]

The $60 5 hour collectathon that a six year old could speedrun doesn't count.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
team deathmatch and deathmatch should be actively discouraged from multiplayer if not completely removed

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
call of duty is a decent version of an "arcadey" realism fps

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I like shadow of war

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Magius1337est posted:

GTA 4 was better, better driving and a lot more interactive

hell the mission variety and length was a lot better, there were actual shootouts and poo poo

all the weapons in gta 5 were practically the same and the game just played more like an interactive movie

You're probably trolling, but I agree with this.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
unreal tournament was better than quake, the only thing people liked about quake is the nostalgia, UT had better weapons and better modability

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Ur right, they could have made Wolf3D look as good as Wolf 2017 if only they hired a sufficiently talented team.

Yup that's exactly what I was saying. :rolleyes:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I'd rather have brutal wolf3d than 1 million polygon new wolf with no gameplay features

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's amazing to me that people are so loving obsessed with counting pixels and clocking frame rates that they don't even consider that what actually makes a game visually good is groups of artists and animators, and a games visuals pretty much hinge on the amount of talent and resources at their disposal.

I know it's a pretty crazy concept but bear with me here.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 12, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Gwent is a better CCG than Hearthstone

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a bone to pick posted:

Gwent is a better CCG than Hearthstone

True, but they're both CCGs and therefore bad.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I still think the original Mirror's Edge is the best looking videogame I've ever played and that's like 9 years old. Although there are a few titles famous for having great artistic direction that I haven't played.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

horizon zero dawn is ok but aloy sucks a lot

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

veni veni veni posted:

It's amazing to me that people are so loving obsessed with counting pixels and clocking frame rates that they don't even consider that what actually makes a game visually good is groups of artists and animators, and a games visuals pretty much hinge on the amount of talent and resources at their disposal.

I'd rather have a game with crazy colored lighting and a distinct art style than some generic military shooter with a billion polygons where each individual light ray is indepedently calculated from it reflection off of each vertice

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

romanowski posted:

horizon zero dawn is ok but aloy sucks a lot

:mrgw:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

growing up I had more fun with Sim Theme Park than Roller Coaster Tycoon

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
red alert 2 was the better RTS than starcraft

what they call the "macro" of starcraft was really just its inability for the engine to highlight more than 8 units at a time and give them individually proper pathfinding, somehow this became a "feature" instead of a handicap

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
GTAV sucks and is emblematic of everything that sucks in modern gaming today fullstop.

The Shark Card economy is totally indefensible when you figure out how much IRL money even the cheapest vehicles cost

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Now imagine those artists and animators having better hardware to display their work.

Now imagine that Nintendo's unrefined and cartoonish art style isn't elevated because they realize the true meaning of christmas game development and don't see their lovely limited hardware as a handicap.

Nobody is autistically arguing your weird robot logic that games are either human inspiration or machine code presentation and luckily for the rest of us the platforms that do have better presentation also have companies that have talented artists and animators to utilize.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Magius1337est posted:

team deathmatch and deathmatch should be actively discouraged from multiplayer if not completely removed

I’ll bite because this sounds retarded enough to be a serious opinion - why?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Now imagine those artists and animators having better hardware to display their work.

Now imagine that Nintendo's unrefined and cartoonish art style isn't elevated because they realize the true meaning of christmas game development and don't see their lovely limited hardware as a handicap.

Nobody is autistically arguing your weird robot logic that games are either human inspiration or machine code presentation and luckily for the rest of us the platforms that do have better presentation also have companies that have talented artists and animators to utilize.

I imagine this post being written by the guy in your av and it seems pretty perfect.

Also lol that people keep bringing Nintendo up like I'm even talking about them. They do apply here though.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I really really want a Switch every time I look at this or the other Switch thread. Did they release a Mario special edition ?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bethesda has never made a great game.

Your favorite Elder Scrolls bollocks does literally nothing exceptional and you know that it's true.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Your favorite Elder Scrolls bollocks does literally nothing exceptional and you know that it's true.

It's fun bollocks though.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Jack Trades posted:

Skyrim has an exceptional soundtrack and you can go feel bad and stupid now for forgetting that

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
but seriously, I can understand why people say that about Bethesda, but honestly, it is spectacularly difficult to put together a game where you basically let people do whatever the gently caress they want in designing their character and rely on a bunch of emergent gameplay and have it maintain any bit of coherence. Add that in with ANY kind of writing and with good music and visuals and it's a tapestry.

All the Elder Scrolls games do this, but Skyrim has so much crazy poo poo smashed together all at once it's a triumph that it even loads

The melee combat is loving garbage, the "puzzles" are shameful to a degree where no one could genuinely call themselves a "game designer" for letting that happen, there's three voice actors, and a lot of nothing interesting going on for drauger after drauger after drauger, but gently caress you if you didn't get any enjoyment from at least the introductory part of the assassin's guild quest line

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DrPossum posted:

but gently caress you if you didn't get any enjoyment from at least the introductory part of the assassin's guild quest line

That was like the only good part of the game.
Also horse bugs.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The problem with Oblivion and Skyrim is that the enemies scale to your level, so what's the point of leveling up or getting a more powerful weapon?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I quite like some video games and others not so much

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

peter gabriel posted:

I quite like some video games and others not so much

Oh yeah!? Well I don't like some games much but I quite like some others.

:boom:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Literally A Person posted:

Oh yeah!? Well I don't like some games much but I quite like some others.

:boom:

That's pretty controversial my man

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

[Citation Needed]

The $60 5 hour collectathon that a six year old could speedrun doesn't count.

lmao yeah speedrunning, that's a normal way to play games and a normal thing to reference, that is definitely something that a regular, video game playing person would think about while playing a game, indeed speedrunning is what gaming is all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

lmao yeah speedrunning, that's a normal way to play games and a normal thing to reference, that is definitely something that a regular, video game playing person would think about while playing a game, indeed speedrunning is what gaming is all about.

After seeing you unironically defend consoles being the unquestionably superior gaming platforms I'm pretty sure explaining my statement to you, in a way that you can understand, would be a waste of time. I still want to laugh at you for the way you took it though.