Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

horriblesubs doesn't do anything, they just rip the subs from official sources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Futaba Anzu posted:

horriblesubs doesn't do anything, they just rip the subs from official sources

thank you for the correction

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just want to take a moment to appreciate the music in the first part of this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3vytC1140

Those swelling strings. Auugh. I need the full OST in my life now. Are there any other songs with this kind of feel to tide me over?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a question of whether you want to watch land of the lustrous, or land of the lustruous

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

well this got interesting.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

CG World Japan has some videos about the making of the series.

On this one, Cinnabar's eyes and mouth seems to skew as she turns around, making me think they're pushing the geometry depending on the camera angle to match a 2d character design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6q3Zi22IXs

Same with Phos' mouth as the model turns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK80BeJkfj8

There's some more making of videos and and early test on the same channel

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the mouth line ends up sticking out from Cinnabar's face as they turn because it's trying to face the camera straight on at all times

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/kimono_ruu/status/924957322505367552

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was a bit disappointing, not in terms of the story or anything. I wanted to see Phos succeed at something for once, but she wasn't able to.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The animation on Amethyst's intro and the appearance of the Mooninites. :swoon:

I love the Moon theme music too.

Maybe next time when you say "maybe this is one of those attackers with a nasty surprise inside after you slice it in half like we just did" you should be facing the place the nasty surprise will appear, Amethyst.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 11, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
loving Lunarians! :argh: Here I was thinking this was going to be a light and silly episode.

Sensei's reaction to the word "humans" was interesting though. What the hell is Sensei? How come they recognize what a human is? Either they started digging through some old archives that survived the apocalypse, they have memories of what being a human was like, or maybe they had interactions with the Flesh before?

Also, btw, what the hell happened to the world again? I'm having a hard interpreting what they were saying at the beginning about how the moon got split into six different ones and human life took to the seas to survive.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EagerSleeper posted:

loving Lunarians! :argh: Here I was thinking this was going to be a light and silly episode.

Sensei's reaction to the word "humans" was interesting though. What the hell is Sensei? How come they recognize what a human is? Either they started digging through some old archives that survived the apocalypse, they have memories of what being a human was like, or maybe they had interactions with the Flesh before?

Also, btw, what the hell happened to the world again? I'm having a hard interpreting what they were saying at the beginning about how the moon got split into six different ones and human life took to the seas to survive.

Probably an asteroid collision or something that drove humans into the seas.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I had a bunch of light-hearted poo poo typed up but then the episode climax rolled around and I don't want to post that anymore.

Regarding Sensei, (and this is total speculation and guessing on my part) I was thinking that he (?) is a new style human resulting from a fusion of the three types of beings we've seen. Somehow. Maybe.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

I had a bunch of light-hearted poo poo typed up but then the episode climax rolled around and I don't want to post that anymore.

Regarding Sensei, (and this is total speculation and guessing on my part) I was thinking that he (?) is a new style human resulting from a fusion of the three types of beings we've seen. Somehow. Maybe.

Or maybe he's one of the last of the old ones.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
pretty sure sensei is a rock

e: and that's not some sort of faux-speculation manga reader bullshit b/c the show is already past what I read

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Preview gif, doesn't seem to be a major spoiler, but i'll err on the side of caution.

e: ooo a gallery of the endcards so far too!

https://imgur.com/a/2X39H

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 12, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

these next fews eps are going to be amazing

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

a kitten posted:

Preview gif, doesn't seem to be a major spoiler, but i'll err on the side of caution.

e: ooo a gallery of the endcards so far too!

https://imgur.com/a/2X39H

Phos being demoted to snowgem after the last failure is pretty harsh.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Did Phos actually "fail", as such? I mean, Bort seems angry, but what was Phos going to do? They can barely lift a sword.

I guess Phos could... kick the moonmen.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

She could've like...ran to tell someone at the very least.

I get the impression that her ability to photosynthesize is reduced with the new legs. She didn't seem able to recover from exhaustion at all.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dzhay posted:

Did Phos actually "fail", as such? I mean, Bort seems angry, but what was Phos going to do? They can barely lift a sword.

I guess Phos could... kick the moonmen.

Bort seems pretty touchy so I think they're just assuming Phos must have hosed up somehow without realizing that the moonjerks pulled out a nasty new trick on the Amethysts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you want another show featuring terrifying buddhist-inspired monstrosities and a pervading sense of loneliness, check out Noein.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

so do you functionally kill a gem friend by smashing them to dust?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

rincewind101 posted:

I would never do such a thing and use the resulting dust as a cosmetic product. *shifty eyes*

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

rincewind101 posted:

They wouldn't be dead technically, just missing. Very missing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

rincewind101 posted:

Technically, if you could gather all the dust and then put it together somehow, it would revive as good as new. But realistically, yeah reducing the gem to dust is probably the closest thing to killing it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

a kitten posted:

Bort seems pretty touchy so I think they're just assuming Phos must have hosed up somehow without realizing that the moonjerks pulled out a nasty new trick on the Amethysts.

Basically. It's pretty easy to assume that if someone (or a pair) that has always done their job well ends up loving up that it would be related to the new addition that has proven to be clumsy, incompetent, and in dire need of protection.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some cute gems, and their VAs

https://twitter.com/hideroP/status/929682875791818752

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

She could've like...ran to tell someone at the very least.

I get the impression that her ability to photosynthesize is reduced with the new legs. She didn't seem able to recover from exhaustion at all.

Little bit of that and a little bit of terror

It's essentially the "Deer in headlights" syndrome. Yeah, you know you should run or do anything, but the shock is so great that you just remain paralyzed.

The show is much farther along than I thought. I wonder where it plans to set down.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Postal Parcel posted:

It's essentially the "Deer in headlights" syndrome. Yeah, you know you should run or do anything, but the shock is so great that you just remain paralyzed.

The show is much farther along than I thought. I wonder where it plans to set down.

Maybe an anime-original ending.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Postal Parcel posted:

It seem to me that the anime is on track to get the first 4 volumes done, which is a pretty good place to wrap up. The manga has just completed volume 8 so there is even enough material for a 2nd season at some point if things go well enough.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/929782263394590721

Show good.

So is that whole thread about it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Amethysts banging their heads together will never not freak me out.

Speaking of, I assume it's because they have the exact same hardness that one or both of them don't shatter. Does that actually happen in real life?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im really excited to see how the next few episodes get animated

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

The Amethysts banging their heads together will never not freak me out.

Speaking of, I assume it's because they have the exact same hardness that one or both of them don't shatter. Does that actually happen in real life?

I can't find anything about whacking them together, but actual crystal twins are pretty cool looking, and also a little bit lower down on the "come play with us Danny" scale.

Amethyst

Beryl

https://www.geologyin.com/2014/07/crystal-twinning.html

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

their names, Amethyst 84 and Amethyst 33, are also references to the degrees at which the twin crystals form in Japan Law twinning. it's what makes the cute vaguely-heart shape like in the picture kitten posted.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Postal Parcel posted:

The ending animation includes a brief shot of these weird butts, so I imagine they'll need to be introduced before the anime wraps.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Have all the lunarians always appeared out of Rorchach test shaped portals ?

Also what's the geology behind the Amethyst twins?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Have all the lunarians always appeared out of Rorchach test shaped portals ?

Also what's the geology behind the Amethyst twins?

Yep.

Scroll up, there's a link in one of my posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Lunarians remind me of something and I can't figure it out. Where did I last see aliens/monsters appearing regularly but getting stronger every time and pulling out shocking new tricks to ruin some heroes? I'm sure it crops it frequently enough, but there's a specific, somewhat recent feeling example nagging at me.

I know Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer had some of that, but it's something I read/watch/played more recently.

Also this show is outstanding

• Locked thread