Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The book translates Rat's methodology as "kills inexorably," for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think hubris is the name of the game. Everyone who has dies displayed some form of hubris just before eating it. But im not sure what the end game of this theme is that plot wise.

Also, im holding out hope that just maybe Monkey is still alive somehow.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I want Monkey to be alive too :( I'm not entirely convinced that the number of fighters left announced in that betting room is necessarily reliable, it seems like a plausible twist would be for one or more of them to be alive after we've assumed or been told that they are dead. Someone ITT suggested that Snake was never actually dead somehow, which I could see being the case. Also, I feel like it would be kind of lame writing if we never find out even one of the multiple ways that Monkey said they could end the fight without people having to die.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So it occurs to me that presuming the betting, as it appears, is sports book style with everyone competing individually against the house, then by totally underselling Rat ("who has yet to do anything") they're totally spiking the players into losing big if rat does indeed come out ahead in the end. This is even more vicious if the house themselves have figured the death pattern out, in which case they may know that Rat's gonna win!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
This seems to indicate that it was Nezumi that caused Tori's downfall, and not some combination of Inu and Saru. Uma was having the same sort of out-of-character thoughts following their encounter that Tori was upon her death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kytrarewn posted:

This seems to indicate that it was Nezumi that caused Tori's downfall, and not some combination of Inu and Saru. Uma was having the same sort of out-of-character thoughts following their encounter that Tori was upon her death.

Not really he was just being kind of a coward. Though Rat did cause Horse's death, mainly by leading Snake to the Area and Horse did not take Rat's advice to leave because Snake was coming.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jng2058 posted:

So it occurs to me that presuming the betting, as it appears, is sports book style with everyone competing individually against the house, then by totally underselling Rat ("who has yet to do anything") they're totally spiking the players into losing big if rat does indeed come out ahead in the end. This is even more vicious if the house themselves have figured the death pattern out, in which case they may know that Rat's gonna win!

i don't think the death pattern is a thing in-universe

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dogsicle posted:

i don't think the death pattern is a thing in-universe

This is Nisio Isin we're talking about, it would be more of a twist if meta-observations like that didn't matter.

And yeah, something is clearly up with Rat. Everyone thinks they recognize him, but then can't place it, and he was basically having a conversation with Horse's internal monologue in this latest episode.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

plot twist: rat is the author

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

My guess is Rat is some kind of security to make sure things go on schedule. Hangs out around people that are trying to somehow stall the show, abandons ship before the conclusion. He has some kind of memory erasing power that keeps everyone from remembering he's been in all the tournaments, which is why everyone can't quite place him, but would still have seen him from review of prior battles.

He still gets bet on because he's the "winner" in cases where there isn't one.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Rat asked horse if he saw sheep because sheep's dipshit gamer grandson cyberbullies him in his favorite online game

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Daedalus1134 posted:

My guess is Rat is some kind of security to make sure things go on schedule. Hangs out around people that are trying to somehow stall the show, abandons ship before the conclusion. He has some kind of memory erasing power that keeps everyone from remembering he's been in all the tournaments, which is why everyone can't quite place him, but would still have seen him from review of prior battles.

He still gets bet on because he's the "winner" in cases where there isn't one.

Honestly, this is probably the most likely theory. They keep really hinting something is off about him and he never actually fights. Everyone else seems pretty straight forward.

It also is a blatant nod to the great race story people always associate with the chinese zodiac meaning the most likely final 3 are Tiger, Ox, and Rat

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if there were records of previous fights i don't think boar would have ended up quite so pathetic. she mistakenly believed that her strength was enough to win without much trouble based on her cowardly father's lies.

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
It's hard to fault this year's Boar for getting dunked on early by an animated corpse she had no idea would be joining in. 'Course, with how the story treats hubris, she'd be dead minutes later anyway...and by that logic, Ox is probably invincible because of his ~dododo King Engine~

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she never even considered that rabbit could be something more than some dude with a sword. even if rabbit hadn't gotten to her one of these other magical assholes would have easily done it instead. boar fundamentally misunderstood the nature of the contest and its participants and it was all her dad's fault.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Boar had magic too. She could fire a machine gun forever without needing to reload.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Boar had magic too. She could fire a machine gun forever without needing to reload.

And she could carry and shoot two LMGs at once with reasonable accuracy without breaking her arms. I think she actually had the biggest mismatch of any of the cast between her build and the strength required to use her weapons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

And she could carry and shoot two LMGs at once with reasonable accuracy without breaking her arms. I think she actually had the biggest mismatch of any of the cast between her build and the strength required to use her weapons.

Well had it not been for Snake she probably would have taken out Rabbit.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well had it not been for Snake she probably would have taken out Rabbit.

We can basically blame Snake for multiple deaths in sorts. Snake's body assisted in killing 3 people so far.

or was that Dragon? gently caress. It's hard to tell them apart without any kind of characterization.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Irritated Goat posted:

We can basically blame Snake for multiple deaths in sorts. Snake's body assisted in killing 3 people so far.

or was that Dragon? gently caress. It's hard to tell them apart without any kind of characterization.
Snake is the headless dude aiding Rabbit to clear house (Boar, Monkey and Horse so far).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also (sorry for double-posting), but doesn't it seem that Snake's corpse is a bit too fixated on chasing after Rat?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Snakes eats rats, duh

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Snakes eats rats, duh

I love this show so much

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Snake's body is possibly on a kind of Auto-Pilot where it goes after sounds large enough to be a competitor?

:shrug:

Snakes eats rats, duh

:perfect:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe his body is following rat around to ask him where it knows him from

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

Dragon is currently the only one with, uh, any chance at characterisation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

rabbit is controlling snake

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Dragon is currently the only one with, uh, any chance at characterisation.
Last time he showed up was in episode 2. Snake as a whole (shut up, I couldn't help myself. :cheeky: has had more characterization as a huge-gently caress-off-pain in the rear end for Rat and instrument of murder that Rabbit has taken advantage of. Then again, Nisio is gonna Isin, so who knows.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snakes eats rats, duh
Also, this was the most beautiful reply I've seen all day. :)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
gasoline ain't alcohol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gasoline ain't alcohol

lol

I'm glad we're finally at this point

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

gasoline ain't alcohol

But what about Ethanol?

I also wanna say how much I dig Dragon just chilling up in the sky while the landlubbers fight it out and die

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Snake's corpse still seems to be MVP.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
It's a shame how this show is gonna do Tiger like this

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Welp looks like I was dead wrong. Snake's still getting a lot more done than most contestants though!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Snake, even in death, is one of the most dangerous and competent fighters in this thing. Or, perhaps that should be especially in death. Usagi's necromantist powers seem really good at drawing out the best from everyone he controls.

Dragon, meanwhile, really is a totally boring loser. Can't wait to see how he gets dunked on in the future which absolutely has to happen, because he's just hanging out flying over the city. He's not gonna win, because he's going about it in the most uninteresting way possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
snake being the final victor would be the most amazing outcome imaginable

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kind of a butt episode this time. Those faces were seriously off seriously often. Hopefully doesn’t indicate more serious, long-term production issues.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Kind of a butt episode this time. Those faces were seriously off seriously often. Hopefully doesn’t indicate more serious, long-term production issues.

The only faces that were off were those no name thug dudes.

Also we finally got the way of killing for all contestants.

Rat "Kills All"
Ox "Kills Systemically"
Monkey "Kills Peacefully"
Boar "Kills Bountifully"
Rabbit "Kills Psychotically"
Sheep "Kills Deceptively"
Tiger "Kills in a Drunken Rage"
Horse "Kills Silently"
Dog "Kills by Biting "
Chicken "Kills by Pecking"
Snake "Kills for Money"
Dragon "Kills for Money"

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, that was... incredibly by-the-numbers for Nisio, to be quite honest. Little Brother gets chumped due to his own power distracting him. And monkey lady. :cry:

• Locked thread