Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Startyde posted:

We'll do anything to avoid actually making music

Synths and Synthesis: We'll do anything to avoid actually making music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
There's maybe two keybed manufacturers left worldwide so find a Fatar sku you like and buy whoever buys it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

What is it about this thread that makes people so damned nice and helpful? I'm not used to this kind of response to my questions. I'll respond to the DAW-stuff in the DAW thread, but as it pertains here, it seems as though the TR-505 was a little too ambitious, but that I should consider live jamming (i.e. setting up arpeggios/holds) very different to song construction. This was the kind of divide I was talking about bridging with modular synths and you helped advise that realistically it was very expensive to make them to do the latter. I understand now that even if I connect up all my kit via Midi and have the arp/hold functions, I would still need a Midi sequencer to actually construct songs.

What I wanted to avoid, was (as we have touched on here) spending literally hundreds of dollars on software synths and VSTs as opposed to physical ones that actually have some kind of intrinsic value. I did not consider that the orchestration of these components, which obviously is a key part.

Many, many thanks.

It might be worth mentioning that almost all drum synths come with rudimentary sequencers. They're generally (at least not unless you get up into the more expensive models) not built with the flexibility to control a whole piece of music like a dedicated sequencer is, they're built so you can use the drum machine as a stand-alone "drummer replacement" like what they were originally designed to do. It's my recommendation to buy a dedicated sequencer first, either DAW or hardware. IF you want to go hardware, I've heard a ton of good things about the Arturia Beatstep Pro.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 9, 2017

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Do you guys know of any way to drive clock to the OP-1 from the Beatstep Pro? It seems like the only way right now is to use the clock from Ableton on the computer from and feed that to both the BeatStep Pro and the OP-1 at the same time. What my ideal would be is to play the OP-1 and the modular without a compute -- just driving everything via the Beatstep Pro.

Things I've tried so far:
Using PO Sync from the OP-1 to the clock on the Beatstep Pro "clk" mode. That just produced a loud click but it doesn't sync anything.
I've tried to send the clk out of the Beatstep Pro into the OP-1 input jack. Nothing worked there either.

There has to be a way to do it but I'll be damned if I can figure it out (or find a reference to how to do it on the internet).

Thanks.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

he1ixx posted:

Using PO Sync from the OP-1 to the clock on the Beatstep Pro "clk" mode. That just produced a loud click but it doesn't sync anything.

PO sync is supposed to be on the right stereo channel, so this might work if you get creative with a stereo splitter cable.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

So Math posted:

PO sync is supposed to be on the right stereo channel, so this might work if you get creative with a stereo splitter cable.

OK I'll poke around and see if I can find one. It'd be so nice if I could get this to work.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

he1ixx posted:

OK I'll poke around and see if I can find one. It'd be so nice if I could get this to work.

Looking at this video, I may have that backwards. Is this how you had your set up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJI6Mj0SEw&t=81s

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

So Math posted:

Looking at this video, I may have that backwards. Is this how you had your set up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJI6Mj0SEw&t=81s

Great video. I'll try to simulate it. Finding the right cabling was surprisingly hard but I did locate this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QuNexusCVCab
Way more expensive than I was thinking, but the other connections will come in handy for lots of stuff that I can foresee.
Thanks again.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Clavavisage posted:

Does anyone have a yamaha qy70 they want to get rid of? I have some ideas

I have a QY700 that's collecting dust.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

he1ixx posted:

Do you guys know of any way to drive clock to the OP-1 from the Beatstep Pro? It seems like the only way right now is to use the clock from Ableton on the computer from and feed that to both the BeatStep Pro and the OP-1 at the same time. What my ideal would be is to play the OP-1 and the modular without a compute -- just driving everything via the Beatstep Pro.

Things I've tried so far:
I've tried to send the clk out of the Beatstep Pro into the OP-1 input jack. Nothing worked there either.

There has to be a way to do it but I'll be damned if I can figure it out (or find a reference to how to do it on the internet).

Thanks.

Note: BSP only outputs clock when its internal sequencer is running. You can often clock things with pulse out from one of the drum outputs too - this is interesting since you can do irregular clocking for fun and profit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The SH01A came this afternoon. It looks and feels lovely, aside from the parts that are clearly designed to make it attach to other stuff- but it doesn’t look at all terrible as a little naked module (which is great since the loving stand base alone is $50 :argh: ). Also the blue finish is quite purdy.

Shame I won’t get to play with it until Tuesday, since I head out to a wedding tomorrow at 4 AM and don’t feel like chancing it with this thing in airport security.

Edit: iOS autocorrect bug.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 10, 2017

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Shame I️ won’t get to play with it until Tuesday, since I️ head out to a wedding tomorrow at 4 AM and don’t feel like chancing it with this thing in airport security.

eh you'd be fine, i've flown with a suitcase full of eurorack modules as a carryon and didn't have any trouble

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My Lovely Horse posted:

While we're talking about software, what's a good one for just recording and adding some effects? I've got hardware synths and a Beatstep Pro for sequencing, I'm sending everything to an audio interface, and so far on the software/DAW side I've only played around with Ableton, which does get the job done very nicely, but I can't help but feel it's a bit too beefy for what little I actually do with it.

Ableton is something I have problems with because it's really an instrument in addition to being a DAW studio environment. For some reason my brain just doesn't wrap around the concept very well. The whole clip triggering thing breaks something fundamental in my brain and no amount of manual reading has made it better, and the sheer amount of poo poo that people do with it only makes it worse.

I mean, obviously you don't have to use the "Live" portion of it, but it feels like NOT doing that means missing out on something useful, but the addition of it gives me analysis paralysis and I lock up. (I feel the same way about having Komplete a lot of the time, too. Most of the time I just want to fart around with my Mother-32s instead.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I gave Reason a ten minute try and I think I could get behind that. I seem to be getting along better with its interface where the effects and stuff look like actual control panels rather than Ableton's abstract dials. Shouldn't make a difference, but somehow it does.

e: I mean, I have hardware synths, of course I respond well to realistically modelled knobs and sliders

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 10, 2017

W424
Oct 21, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

Ableton is something I have problems with because it's really an instrument in addition to being a DAW studio environment. For some reason my brain just doesn't wrap around the concept very well. The whole clip triggering thing breaks something fundamental in my brain and no amount of manual reading has made it better, and the sheer amount of poo poo that people do with it only makes it worse.

I mean, obviously you don't have to use the "Live" portion of it, but it feels like NOT doing that means missing out on something useful, but the addition of it gives me analysis paralysis and I lock up. (I feel the same way about having Komplete a lot of the time, too. Most of the time I just want to fart around with my Mother-32s instead.)

I use live about 100% in arragnment view. I have push but the session view is never used unless I remeber it exists before having started in arrangment.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i think the biggest productivity booster you can get in live is pretending the session view isn't there. it's good for performing live, but it's not really great for actually writing music.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, I have a Native Instruments $25 voucher that expires on 12/4 and I'm probably not going to use it. I'm not sure these are share-able, but if anyone wants to give it a shot the code is UGUN6CHY.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Southern Heel posted:

What is it about this thread that makes people so damned nice and helpful? I'm not used to this kind of response to my questions. I'll respond to the DAW-stuff in the DAW thread, but as it pertains here, it seems as though the TR-505 was a little too ambitious, but that I should consider live jamming (i.e. setting up arpeggios/holds) very different to song construction. This was the kind of divide I was talking about bridging with modular synths and you helped advise that realistically it was very expensive to make them to do the latter. I understand now that even if I connect up all my kit via Midi and have the arp/hold functions, I would still need a Midi sequencer to actually construct songs.

that stuff about the 505 was not quite accurate, its way after the 909 and def runs MIDI, might even have an honest to god midi thru port its so old! and theyre the cheapest roland x0x drumbox
and the drum machine *is* a sequencer, thats what makes it a drum machine instead of just a sound module
likewise the tb-03, it is more sequencer than synth! (if you do end up with any modular gear the tb-03 is great with other midi gear, you can send it a clock signal from your modular and then midi out to a drum machine, and modulate the clock in the modular to get completely bizarre tempi :twisted: )
the jx-03 i 8 so familiar with but im p sure its got a sequencer within too

what youll need to do is plug them together via MIDI so they will stay in tempo, then you can change your patterns on the different instruments to change up the jam :thumbsup:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In terms of keyboards, I might be the weirdo of the group that prefers, for when I'm doing synth/non-piano work, the non-weighted or semi-weighted keys (you know, the really thin keys that don't offer that much resistance). When I'm trying to actually play a piano sampler or Pianoteq, I prefer fully-weighted. It's like when I'm making fake doot-doot sounds, I'm ok with the cheaper, fake, doot-doot feel, you know

i've never played a piano that felt as nice as the mono/polys keys. the piano 8 the only keyboard instrument and theres no reason all keys need be piano style

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

sliderule posted:

I have a QY700 that's collecting dust.

atleast you can off load it for some money still, i found a qy70 for cheap and since its about the same but with less overall tracks i'll see how it works out
its a shame how hardware midi sequencing has fallen so far backwards lately, its hard to find anything decent outside of a DAW for interesting programming abilities

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Clavavisage posted:

its a shame how hardware midi sequencing has fallen so far backwards lately, its hard to find anything decent outside of a DAW for interesting programming abilities

There's always this but with a waiting time of about a year https://www.sequentix.com/shop/cirklon-hardware-sequencer.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ozmunkeh posted:

There's always this but with a waiting time of about a year https://www.sequentix.com/shop/cirklon-hardware-sequencer.

I saw this in an Against the Clock and it looks rad as hell. I don't think I have enough gear to make it useful, but I still kinda want one.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

rickiep00h posted:

I saw this in an Against the Clock and it looks rad as hell. I don't think I have enough gear to make it useful, but I still kinda want one.

Oh cool, I thought you had linked the Benjamin Damage one which also rules. It's been a while since I binged through a bunch of against the clock videos so this was a new one to me, thanks.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

i don't really get the appeal for the cirklons, the machinedrum sequencer is similar in alot of way but its still just a x0x grid thing and you can't really compose anything that isn't plodding techno.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Plavski posted:

i think the biggest productivity booster you can get in live is pretending the session view isn't there. it's good for performing live, but it's not really great for actually writing music.

I use session view for experimenting with variations on patterns, combinations of patterns, etc without having to drag clips around and set loop points and stuff. I find it very creative and inspiring despite never using it to gig.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Clavavisage posted:

i don't really get the appeal for the cirklons, the machinedrum sequencer is similar in alot of way but its still just a x0x grid thing and you can't really compose anything that isn't plodding techno.

i have always managed to make poo poo you cant dance to with x0x type grids, its all in how wired your brain is for modular i guess :thunk;

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i have always managed to make poo poo you cant dance to with x0x type grids,

do you mean this as a brag or self-deprecation?

e: cause I hear both from people

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Clavavisage posted:

Aphex Twin has written most of his new material on the Cirklon, you can certainly do more than plodding techno.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

do you mean this as a brag or self-deprecation?

e: cause I hear both from people

no, i don't :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Clavavisage posted:

....in the 21st century, only outlaws will care about time signature....and those outlaws will only compose techno

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
*Technical problems*

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 11, 2017

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Edit: sorry, WiFi problems = triple post

So...synthesizers and synthesizer music, eh?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

okay Reason is great software but I'm already watching myself starting to gently caress around more with effects settings than my actual synths and that was very much the opposite of the point. DAWs have too much stuff for the ADD part of my brain. maybe I should bite the bullet and get a cheap effects box. and a goddamn tape recorder.

e: I recorded way more stuff when all I had was a Microbrute and the 1/4" to USB cable from Rocksmith

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 12, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

....in the 21st century, only outlaws will care about time signature....and those outlaws will only compose techno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ftt8uWPfU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
My mate had to move out of town and had to take his gear, so I'm synthless.

What's a good small synth for someone with not a whole lot of space?

The local music shop has a MS20 Mini Korg and a Korg microKorg with vocoder, but that's it.

This would be perfect for one of those late 90s, early 00s arcade intros.

Edit: oh poo poo, this was in the Mortal Kombat Annihilation soundtrack.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Microbrute is fuckin' tiny and pretty flexible.

I have a personal lust for the MS-20 as well.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
If they're at the music shop, you've tried both of them out and probably know which one feels best. The MS-20 is monophonic barring one exact patch setting, and even then you only get two simultaneous notes. So if chordal work is important it's basically the microkorg out of those two, unless you're willing to do a lot of planning and multitracking. (Or you could just pick up the cheap sequencer they do and arpeggiate instead.) Nb the MS-20 also transmits USB midi in/out, but only sends note data, not velocity. No idea whether the Microkorg is the same or not. Something to consider if you're planning on using your synth as a controller also.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

sliderule posted:

I turned my teletype into a crappy oscilloscope / video generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsV73v2QST4

That's pretty cool how did you do that? I'm always looking for ways to make weird little video generators. WHat do you mean by teletype exactly? Thanks.

EDIT: My bad I see now that Teletype is a commercial module. I googled the word and found some info on some proto-fax machine thing and thought you had done some kind of crazy DIY transformation. Still looks cool though not what I was thinking.

Radio du Cambodge fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 12, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

My mate had to move out of town and had to take his gear, so I'm synthless.

What's a good small synth for someone with not a whole lot of space?
:twisted: this in an intellijel 42HP 4U case would be very nice and very small :)

:getin:

byob historian fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 12, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Microkorg is cheap and there's plenty of patches/public experience with them out there. I'd suggest a k-station or micron/miniak though. They're much more flexible engines both with better interfaces (imo, I think the micron is as fast to navigate as an esq/waldorf), and depending on where you are might be cheaper because lower hype.
The ms mini is a great synth but unless I had other synths or a band to play with I wouldn't want a mono synth as my only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
First vid I've done with the SYS8 - I really really like it. It's responsible for all of the synth parts on here but the acid line is what's live.

https://www.facebook.com/hellomelee/videos/10155864219686779/