Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update:

I have the madfa and the power ring plus the race skills that boost strength and now my two therians deal respectable damage.

Also, I managed to win against the 3 mad dogs in the berry monster hot spot.

Lots of defending, line guard, and one bunker.

5 dragoons may take time to kill stuff but they sure are durable.

The brouni very much so. Best magic defense, second best defense.

Also I left barrage wall at 4. The TP cost rises to 15 at level 5... and I really can't afford it.

Attack command is my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The White Dragon posted:

you can change the direction the statues are facing to block off the side parts of the boss chamber. there are six total spawn points in the center room, but you can block off four of them with the I/O pillars. the two by the entrance are always going to be in play, though.

I didnt know that and had to take out all the spawns + the main body.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Beat a toxipede.

Took the dragoons 18 turns, and a wall of bunkers, but it only attacked the party 3 times.

Bunkers are very good vs toxipede.

Poking holes at it wasn't very fun though.

Update:

Beat the owl bear and the crayfish.

Used oils this time for elements so it went a little faster. Like 16 turns or so.

Did I mention how great bunkers are early game? Because they are.

Also I think it's a shame I can't get my hand on the cannon from the crayfish conditional. I could give it to my Celestrian for actual damage. Sadly I don't have access to cut damage. At all.

I might be able to get it if I hit level 15 and use tri attack.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 11, 2017

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
29F is a miserable loving floor

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

For sheer rudeness, I'm still not sure anything tops B24F from the third game. Do you like tiles that rotate you when you step on them? Do you like giant areas of the map where you just don't show up on the bottom screen? Too bad, have both at the same time gently caress you.

...the walls in the first Untold game that continually vomit killer birds across giant poison swamps and down narrow corridors are a close second.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Reasonably sure it's still the dark pitfall map from EO1 honestly.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

My tri attack plan didn't work. Laaaaame.

Maybe I did something wrong.

Rangpur posted:

For sheer rudeness, I'm still not sure anything tops B24F from the third game. Do you like tiles that rotate you when you step on them? Do you like giant areas of the map where you just don't show up on the bottom screen? Too bad, have both at the same time gently caress you.

...the walls in the first Untold game that continually vomit killer birds across giant poison swamps and down narrow corridors are a close second.

I have to agree with this.

At least EOV has predictable teleporters, even if they are miserable.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

edit:^^^^
If you're using Tri-Attack on the Crayfish, it probably has to be the cut attack specifically that kills them. Tri-Magic from a Celestrian works the same way--it's 3 separate attacks and they're tracked separately.

Oh right. I never actually reached that point in the original game, and Untold at least gave you the option of having some light.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I think it was the cut attack, if it goes in the order of cut stab bash.

Unless it's one huge physical attack with all three elements.

I have this feeling composite attacks don't work, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I managed to beat the 1st stratum boss.

Took like 22+ turns, but eh.

Now we can get better cannons hopefully and I can definitely get the parrot cannon for my celestrian.

Barrage cannon was not meant to be a heavy hitting move.

Ugh, and now I'll have to deal with insects paralysing me because I've got no elemental attacks, this sucks.

Did I mention I hate turkeys? Because I really hate the gobblers.

I don't have any access to defense debuffs. My team's damage is already low, and the battles with them just drag on and on. What a massive pain.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 11, 2017

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
So I think I've settled on a team of Deathguard/Blade Master/Cannon Dragoon - Hound Rover/Poison Botanist. I think that'd mean I'd have no elemental attacks until I hit 20. Will that screw me over? Should I replace the botanist with a Shaman or Warlock?

Taffy Torpedo fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 11, 2017

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Stanfield posted:

So I think I've settled on a team of Deathguard/Blade Master/Cannon Dragoon - Hound Rover/Poison Botanist. I think that'd mean I'd have no elemental attacks until I hit 20. Will that screw me over? Should I replace the botanist with a Shaman or Warlock?

I'd worry a bit that you don't have anything for dealing with physical resistant enemies in there, unless you feel like stacking debuffs from the Mas and Rover. I got through with basically no elemental damage, but I did have Poison Bomb for non-physical hurt.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You could make the poisoner botanist a Celestrian. The Enchant union skill only burns the users gauge, and makes your weapons deal all three types of elemental damage... for one turn. Probably good enough to deal with random encounters though, and you can learn Tri-Magic at level 15. Keep them equipped with a staff to raise M.ATK, especially the one you can forge for beating up owl bears since it has a cheap, INT-based fire attack. The healing won't be quite as efficient, but you'll have more TP to spend on it and Celestrians still have the second highest WIS.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Rangpur posted:

You could make the poisoner botanist a Celestrian. The Enchant union skill only burns the users gauge, and makes your weapons deal all three types of elemental damage... for one turn. Probably good enough to deal with random encounters though, and you can learn Tri-Magic at level 15. Keep them equipped with a staff to raise M.ATK, especially the one you can forge for beating up owl bears since it has a cheap, INT-based fire attack. The healing won't be quite as efficient, but you'll have more TP to spend on it and Celestrians still have the second highest WIS.

Not to mention a late-game botanist should be providing a lot more healing than you actually need, most of the time.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Does petrification in EO5 raise bash resistance or anything like that? One of my friends is claiming that it does.

Okay, yeah, either half damage from all STR based sources or half damage from pure Cut/Stab/Bash attacks, got it.

Different question; does Stun overwrite other ailments, and does it proc Chain Killer hits?

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 11, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Okay. Made it halfway through second stratum.

Floor 8.

Do you know what's worse than turkeys?

Gobblers + enemies that resist bash. You know, like the manta rays. Except they're my only source of binds, so I want their materials.

Time for oils, jars and enchants I guess.

My Celestrian dragoon is actually useful now that I got him a better cannon.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Different question; does Stun overwrite other ailments, and does it proc Chain Killer hits?

Stun is outside of the ailment hierarchy - enemies that have ailments can still be stunned and ailments will not disappear if stun proccs. I'm also fairly sure it doesn't get accumulated resistances. In exchange it only works for one turn and most bosses are super resistant to it.
It does activate Chain Killer, it's even specifically mentioned in the skill description.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Does petrification in EO5 raise bash resistance or anything like that? One of my friends is claiming that it does.

Okay, yeah, either half damage from all STR based sources or half damage from pure Cut/Stab/Bash attacks, got it.

It's resistance to all three physical elements. You can still do full damage with a STR based composite attack.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
The EXP DLC is really exactly what it says on the box. I did the repeatable quest with my B Team at around level 13-14, to try and get them caught up after the first boss, and completing it gives 90k experience and shot them all up five levels. :eyepop:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
US region guild
i wanted to wait until i unlocked mastery before i posted my card

for easy reading

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:lol: Memory Conch doesn't work on quest exp, rip team level parity :suicide:

I'm not impressed by early Dragoon so far. Maybe it's because I split her between the Bunker and Shield focuses, but her damage mitigation is rather crap and not very far reaching. I have better success with Aegis on my Botanist and Shaman.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 12, 2017

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

:lol: Memory Conch doesn't work on quest exp, rip team level parity :suicide:

Memory Conch only gives half the exp anyway, you were gonna have to play some catch-up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

True. Ah well, at least I can just repeat that request and rest a few times to get to an appropriate level range.

Not entirely sure if I should be running Auto-Miasma instead of just getting it going at the beginning of the battle. When does Auto-Miasma start to pay off?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 12, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

True. Ah well, at least I can just repeat that request and rest a few times to get to an appropriate level range.

Not entirely sure if I should be running Auto-Miasma instead of just getting it going at the beginning of the battle. When does Auto-Miasma start to pay off?

It is 100% at level 10.

It's useful to be able to fire off chaos reaps and toxic reaps (and paralysing reaps) from turn 1 in normal battles.

Especially from 3rd stratum onwards.

I really like it. A lot.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It is 100% at level 10.

It's useful to be able to fire off chaos reaps and toxic reaps (and paralysing reaps) from turn 1 in normal battles.

I really like it. A lot.

Speaking of which, I'm currently a bit troubled by which scythes to go for- I'm definitely grabbing Frigid, plus Miasma Armor, and the two debuffs I get access too, but then I guess I just need to rev up to toxic? Is Paralyze really a worthwhile disable compared to getting poison damage?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fuuuuuck this golem boss. I thought I was being clever bringing a Necromancer to the fight with Soul Candy and Poison Bomb, but Explode kills all my Wraiths anyway. :negative: I might have to swap out my Masurao too, she isn't really contributing much.

EDIT YESSSSSSSSSSSSS dead. I gave my Dragoon a second chance and brought a Pugilist, which helped a lot even if she didn't contribute to the chain bullshit.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It is 100% at level 10.

I really like it. A lot.

Good to know - when it does proc, it's pretty useful, but it just doesn't proc often enough for me. I'll keep at it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 12, 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Handgun Phonics posted:

Speaking of which, I'm currently a bit troubled by which scythes to go for- I'm definitely grabbing Frigid, plus Miasma Armor, and the two debuffs I get access too, but then I guess I just need to rev up to toxic? Is Paralyze really a worthwhile disable compared to getting poison damage?

You have Black Blade as a passive that increases your attack every time you inflict an ailment. So to maximize this boost, you need to have multiple ailments to cycle through.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

apparently I wasn't paying attention because my Fencer now knows Cold Front, that attack the Ice Bats use

how did she learn this? the game hasn't mentioned a system for learning enemy skills

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

apparently I wasn't paying attention because my Fencer now knows Cold Front, that attack the Ice Bats use

how did she learn this? the game hasn't mentioned a system for learning enemy skills

Some weapons come with a skill when you upgrade the weapon. The sword you made from the Ice Bat's drop comes with that skill.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

She has a weapon equipped that has it.

E: Fetus! You!!!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

OH, I wasn't paying attention when I upgraded that sword. thank you

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
godspeed you crazy bastard

Handgun Phonics posted:

I'd worry a bit that you don't have anything for dealing with physical resistant enemies in there, unless you feel like stacking debuffs from the Mas and Rover. I got through with basically no elemental damage, but I did have Poison Bomb for non-physical hurt.
Helm Splitter ignores cut resist! (And does a fuckton of damage, especially when it crits.)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This loving superboss :stonk:

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

theshim posted:

Helm Splitter ignores cut resist! (And does a fuckton of damage, especially when it crits.)

Incredibly, but that requires a leg bind or petrify to land consistently. Also, post-mastery.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I didn't know Buster Cannon gets cancelled if you switch your party's positions, even though the Dragoon isn't the one moving

That's kind of annoying

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It doesn’t ever seem to work if i turn on auto battle for the next turn, which seems like an odd restriction.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I FINALLY loving DID IT

Explode enough ghosts at an eldritch abomination and it'll keel, apparently

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

blizzardvizard posted:

I FINALLY loving DID IT

Explode enough ghosts at an eldritch abomination and it'll keel, apparently

what level were you, is this the kind of situation where my habit of leveling to 99 is merely useful, or is it absolutely necessary? because i'd like #1 :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did at around low 99r80s and got it in 30 turns after one failed attempt. In retrospect, putting my Celestrian Deathguard in the front row was a stupid idea since he consistently came closest to dying, but c'est la vie.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

All level 99, unretired. I guess it's not strictly necessary, but since you'd be at around level 90 once you get to the boss, you might as well cap out your team. The fight has a shitton of landmines so to speak and it doesn't hurt to mitigate the chances of things loving up a little. (Retiring them and re-grinding them to 99 from 50 is too much for me though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
since the stat cap is raised to 255, has the stat benefit from retiring been increased or is that still just +10? also, what about stat books? now that i'm waist deep in this poo poo it's time to start thinking about powerleveling