Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guys, Ubisoft is ending online multiplayer for their Wii U games :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Also, I'm not one of those insane people who returns monitors 6-7 times for a perfect panel or returned a 3DS until I got IPS etc. Honest.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I tried the tape thing and couldn't find an amount of tape that didn't either:

* Receive up/down inputs when moving from side to side (original problem). This was most easily reproduced in Tetris, or Shovel Knight (not Specter Knight though, heh), or going to the test input screen and mashing left and right back and forth.

* Deadzone when moving from left to right, mostly noticeable when moving from left to right while also hitting up or down along the way. This came about after the tape. You would not be able to reproduce this trying Tetris or the input test, where only discrete inputs are registered. You would need to do something with more continuous inputs and direction changes. For me, it was noticeable doing something like jumping in Shovel Knight while changing directions. Occasionally all momentum would stop in mid-air in the d-pad deadzone. Doing the same thing on the pokken pad or joycon had no such issues. This feels super bad.

I opened and closed my pro controller 5-6 times trying different amounts of scotch tape and packing tape.

Given that the after-tape issues would not be easily detected by just playing Tetris or doing the controller input test (which is what people used typically to originally diagnose the issue), I'm skeptical of the reports that the tape mod fixes the d-pad unless there is some continuous direction change test in there too. There could be good controllers out there but I don't know that anyone has a good way of verifying it.

This is a lot of words about d-pads and scotch tape but I'm serious about muh jump mans

You need this:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is Nintendo still the only company allowed to manufacture truly awesome and perfect dpads?
Buffalo makes a PC USB SNES gamepad clone and it's extremely good. Just as good as the original SNES controllers imo, of which I own several.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rufio posted:

Why is downloading 8gb and clicking yes on a user agreement some kind of roadblock or dealbreaker?
Because it's totally unnecessary.

Every past Nintendo console you could just insert a game and play it. Didn't have to download or agree to poo poo except maybe a system update. So this is a new low.

There were three solutions to the DOOM situation:

1. Make multiplayer free DLC, single-player campaign still gets (small) updates if necessary (like most other Switch games).

2. Make multiplayer part of a day-one patch, but keep the patch optional (like every other Switch game).

3. Make multiplayer part of a required day-one patch that users are forced to download. Also EULA the single player campaign for the hell of it.

Bethesda went with #3, the worst option for the user which was strictly more effort on their part than #2, and #1 wouldn't have been hard at all. It's just lame.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rexroom posted:

You need this:

I wonder if there is a converter for TE2s that doesn't add jacked up amount of lag

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wait so if you buy DOOM physical and never connect your system to the internet are you even able to play it? If not that seems hosed up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cobalt Viper posted:

Wait so if you buy DOOM physical and never connect your system to the internet are you even able to play it? If not that seems hosed up.

I don't think so, because the entire single player isn't on the game card. NBA 2k18 was the same way but they had a banner on the case saying that was the case which I haven't seen on the Doom case.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You can play single player by hitting no to the update each time you play.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just picked up a SNES Classic and my god I forgot exactly how good a good Dpad can be. Actually the controller in general is perfect.

Hopefully the 8Biddo controller I have preordered has the same level Dpad.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Has anyone used one of these with a fightstick? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZFPJLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_xPFqEW68gRZni

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Any thoughts on the One Piece game on Switch? Might buy it tonight.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Unmature posted:

Any thoughts on the One Piece game on Switch? Might buy it tonight.

It’s a decent beat em up basically. If it’s on sale or whatever and I assume you already like One Piece then go for it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cobalt Viper posted:

Wait so if you buy DOOM physical and never connect your system to the internet are you even able to play it?
Yes, you can play it, but if you start DOOM with the Switch connected to the Internet then it requires you to update. If you start it without an Internet connection then it complains about not having one, but will let you play.

SystemLogoff posted:

You can play single player by hitting no to the update each time you play.
No, so, if you skip the update when you start DOOM it says there's a required update on the title screen and prompts (to install) "Later" or "Restart". If you select "Later" it repeats the prompt in a loop.

The only way I found to play the single-player campaign without updating is to put the Switch in Airplane Mode.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, you can play it, but if you start DOOM with the Switch connected to the Internet then it requires you to update. If you start it without an Internet connection then it complains about not having one, but will let you play.

No, so, if you skip the update when you start DOOM it says there's a required update on the title screen and prompts (to install) "Later" or "Restart". If you select "Later" it repeats the prompt in a loop.

The only way I found to play the single-player campaign without updating is to put the Switch in Airplane Mode.

This is really god drat stupid.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They shouldn't have even included the multiplayer at all. No one liked it on any platform.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked the multiplayer. :(

DOOM on Switch is about the same size as Breath of the Wild. So it's download size is really not that big of a deal. The 9GB update does suck though, as it is for just multiplayer and I doubt anyone is going to play that. The multiplayer died quickly at least on PC.

But honestly this is more Nintendo's fault then it is Bethesda's. Creating a system with such limited options for memory is a terrible idea if you want to support 3rd party developers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SeANMcBAY posted:

They shouldn't have even included the multiplayer at all. No one liked it on any platform.

If they did that people would get mad about a port missing features.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was going to go out and buy DOOM, which I have not yet played, but this practically-mandatory update ordeal has left a sour taste in my mouth. Instead I think I'll:

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I guess there is a big free expansion for Has Been Heroes:
http://nintendoeverything.com/has-been-heroes-receives-a-major-expansion/

I don't know anything about this game.

Sweet. That game held my attention more tightly than Zelda until it stopped getting more difficult. I'd always said it was too easy, and now they have a challenge mode.

Time to update my Switch. And not for DOOM.

(Has Been Heroes isn't for everyone but check out a few videos. If you're one of the people who likes it then you're really gonna like it. It helps that I haven't played in so long I don't remember how it works.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want it to be December 1st already, I only care about Xenoblade 2 right now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder if there is a converter for TE2s that doesn't add jacked up amount of lag

Brooks wiiu converter with firmware update works great for 30 bucks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I said come in! posted:

I just want it to be December 1st already, I only care about Xenoblade 2 right now.
high five fellow preorderer

(Odyssey is still really good even if I'm running out of moons rapidly, hit 800 last night)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just archive games when you finish them. A cheap 128gb card is really plenty.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ok Has Been Heroes looks a little like a phone game but it's pretty addicting. Rogue-like puzzle thing. Pretty hard so far.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I pre-ordered Skyrim. Hopefully that scratches my open-world itch that Zelda exacerbated. Hoping to punch a dragon in the face until it dies.

Does pre-ordering just means you don't have to Download the game the day of and I can just play it starting at x hour?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I pre-ordered Skyrim. Hopefully that scratches my open-world itch that Zelda exacerbated. Hoping to punch a dragon in the face until it dies.

Does pre-ordering just means you don't have to Download the game the day of and I can just play it starting at x hour?

Skyrim has a ridiculous amount of content and even though I’m not usually a fantasy rpg person I loved it. Really really fun.

Spoilered character build suggestion: archers are super OP, destruction magic users are pretty weaksauce

Nov 24, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yep, it also means you can pay for it before the review embargoes are over.

You really want to make sure you pre-order digitally in case they run out of licenses on release day :downs:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

priznat posted:

Skyrim has a ridiculous amount of content and even though I’m not usually a fantasy rpg person I loved it. Really really fun.

Spoilered character build suggestion: archers are super OP, destruction magic users are pretty weaksauce

lol have they still not fixed magic, modless skyrim is such poo poo

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i got puyo pop its good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Impermanent posted:

i got puyo pop its good

It is. I’ve gotten a lot of use out of the demo. I don’t even see a need to get the full game with a demo that generous.:lol:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Impermanent posted:

i got puyo pop its good

You say this, but I know you're lying.

Mainly because you found time to post that it's good instead of being several days into an addictive puyo-popping binge on the verge of starving to death.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You say this, but I know you're lying.

Mainly because you found time to post that it's good instead of being several days into an addictive puyo-popping binge on the verge of starving to death.

i've been meaning to get up to get a coke since i posted that and i still haven't yet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

It is. I’ve gotten a lot of use out of the demo. I don’t even see a need to get the full game with a demo that generous.:lol:

Play online and become a man

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

While I was patching up to get the sweet, sweet Has Been Heroes content, I noticed that Golf Story received a patch.

They don't have notes, but at least one person has verified that a crippling bug has been fixed. So if you're bugged out, patch up.

I have not felt overwhelmed with games I want to play in a long time. Maybe it's that I skipped multiple generations, but I feel like Nintendo did me a solid this time around.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holy poo poo Has Been Heroes is addicting. I'm surprised that the reviews are so poor for it. I mean sure, it sort of seems like the type of thing you might get in a humble bundle for cheap and not a masterpiece or something but it seems like a lot more middling to mediocre stuff has higher review scores.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Real hurthling! posted:

Play online and become a man

I’m not good enough at Puyo and only barely competent at Tetris.:(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

226 posted:

Yep, it also means you can pay for it before the review embargoes are over.

You really want to make sure you pre-order digitally in case they run out of licenses on release day :downs:

Yeah they should definitely do *something* for digital preorders. DLC or a %age off like the stores do.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno if Nintendo's done it yet but there's been plenty of games over on the PSN where it's like pre-order now, get "10/20/whatever % off." Just recently the big Horizon expansion offered a 20% off discount. Sounds like something Nintendo could easily do on their end.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It would be cool if they gave you horse armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

Guys, Ubisoft is ending online multiplayer for their Wii U games :(

Oh wow, that's a whole lot of well-loved online multiplayer games losing their communities :nallears:.

Wait... ZombiU is an Ubisoft game. No! NOOOOO! :negative:

• Locked thread