Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

also having a hot tub gangbang with a dozen gay bodybuilders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

breath of the wild owns because i can get high and climb a mountain and then snowboard down the mountain

Wisdom

:yikes:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

really queer Christmas posted:

because it has utter garbage gameplay. the loving collar and the radios are annoying as gently caress to deal with. I’ve played it a couple times and I still end up dying on some of the later sections of shielded radios.

honest hearts did the take your equipment away better too, since it let you take only 100 lbs of stuff instead of nothing.
God forbid a game introduce challenges, to be overcome. What's the complaint here, "i died"? What? Thats part of the game dude, your character can die.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dead money could've used a bit of a trim towards the end, maybe take one or two of the last radio puzzles

other than that it was a real fun change of pace from the usual open-world godhood that all those games hit after like 10 hours with a neat story/background

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

get that OUT of my face posted:

games should allow you to carry a bunch of poo poo, or in the case of fps games, as many weapons as there are in them. don't force realism by allowing me to carry 10 items or two guns at a time

The fun part is that it treats a pistol and a rocket launcher as completely interchangeable

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

The fun part is that it treats a pistol and a rocket launcher as completely interchangeable
fps weapons these days are so boring. give me a goddamn cerebral bore

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Chillgamesh posted:

The writers have said that isn't the case unfortunately, I think it's closer to "there is no meaningful distinction between Jenova and Sephiroth, they are one entity by the time the game happens"

Every time you meet a walking, talking Sephiroth in person, though, it's actually a piece of JENOVA's body mimicking him, that quickly grows into a full-size JENOVA that you fight in a boss battle. What is not clear is who's talking through the fake Sephiroths, whether himself or JENOVA. You only meet the real Sephiroth under the North Circle caves, mutilated and in a Lifestream coma, and then again in the very final boss battle

fps weapons these days are so boring

Truth

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Chillgamesh posted:

new vegas is really good and it's sad that obsidian didn't get to fully develop everything as much as they wanted

Blue Train posted:

New Vegas is my favorite game and I have wasted hundreds of shameful hours playing it

Old World Blues with high intelligence wraps up so satisfyingly and if you walk around on the pipes with the anti-material gun the frustrating bits can be mitigated enough to make it feel less frustrating. That's what I've ALWAYS said.

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Nov 11, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Over Easy posted:

Old World Blues with high intelligence wraps up so satisfyingly and if you walk around on the pipes with the anti-material gun the frustrating bits can be mitigated enough to make it feel less frustrating. That's what I've ALWAYS said.

You think I am a lobotomite?! No, this skull houses THE BRAIN OF MOBIUS!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

there was an unimplenented ending to OWB where you could join the Think Tank as another disembodied brain, and you'd terrorize the wasteland by kidnapping specimens and unleashing experiments.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

rudatron posted:

God forbid a game introduce challenges, to be overcome. What's the complaint here, "i died"? What? Thats part of the game dude, your character can die.

it’s not challenging to find the one safe spot where you can’t die in a large rear end room while you hear constant loving beeping until it’s found. it’s just annoying as hell. combine this with all the loving bear traps and poo poo becomes unfun. I do really love the atmosphere, writing, and characters in dead money; playing through it sucks rear end though.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Look at this scrub who did not pick up the Light Step perk before venturing into the Sierra Madre.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

Look at this scrub who did not pick up the Light Step perk before venturing into the Sierra Madre.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mecha Gojira posted:

I was having a good Saturday, there was no need to own me today :sigh:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

If you're not playing Dead Money with the ball-busting extra layer of difficulty given by JSawyerMod why are you even bothering tbh.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I like the way this thread went :shobon:

TomViolence posted:

If you're not playing Dead Money with the ball-busting extra layer of difficulty given by JSawyerMod why are you even bothering tbh.

i went a step further and manually adjusted the loot spawns to spawn less ammo and cranked up the enemy spawns. it became fallout: resident evil which was actually pretty fun

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I like the way this thread went :shobon:

i went a step further and manually adjusted the loot spawns to spawn less ammo and cranked up the enemy spawns. it became fallout: resident evil which was actually pretty fun

Who needs ammo when you got a superheated spear and a mutant to eat all the corpses

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I liked the consoles and such where they talked about the knives that cut through cutting boards and cut off people's fingers and poo poo

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Why is this thread about video games now

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Veshpo posted:

Not much else goin' on, boss.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Veshpo posted:

ever since gamers lost the gamergate wars, videos games have remained pretty goddamn woke

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Crane Fist posted:

Who needs ammo when you got a superheated spear and a mutant to eat all the corpses

Not using a bear trap on your fist to pinch-and-punch the heads off of Ghost People?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Here, have something on topic. I guess it's old, I just saw it a couple of weeks ago while watching sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYxmxHoS7v4

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Not using a bear trap on your fist to pinch-and-punch the heads off of Ghost People?

Bear trap fist works off your unarmed and who plays a fallout game and goes "insanely cool future guns and rippers and poo poo? No thanks, I am going to punch people with my boring puny hands"

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Veshpo posted:

there are videogames and then there is Fallout: New Vegas.

Crane Fist posted:

Bear trap fist works off your unarmed and who plays a fallout game and goes "insanely cool future guns and rippers and poo poo? No thanks, I am going to punch people with my boring puny hands"

lol like the unarmed weapons like Superheated Powerfists, Displacer Fists, and Ballistic Fist aren't among the most powerful melee options the game

If you haven't done a Hokuto no Ken run, you haven't played New Vegas. Punch the Deathclaw.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Crane Fist posted:

unarmed is actually insanely op in NV even if you put 0 points in it and have noodle arm STR

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallout 2 had the true Hokuto no Ken gameplay, because you could learn special unarmed moves and didn't have to use power fists.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i still can't get over whatever the institute's weird plot was and also how FO4 was someone's earnest attempt to talk about AIs and robots but their reading background didn't seem to include any text in that sort of area made in the past thirty years

what's with the robot kid? why any of it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

i still can't get over whatever the institute's weird plot was and also how FO4 was someone's earnest attempt to talk about AIs and robots but their reading background didn't seem to include any text in that sort of area made in the past thirty years

what's with the robot kid? why any of it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Institute could create whole genetically identical human beings from scratch, but instead of using that technology to make replacement organs and revolutionize medicine, they use it to make slaves. They could turn Kellogg into a cyborg Methuselah, but couldn't cure your son's cancer - because he said that they shouldn't pursue the research that made Kellogg what he was. So your son has an ethical issue with creating cyborg thugs, but not with murdering people and replacing them with biologically identical slaves.

And replacing people with replicants made no sense at all. The Institute is cloistered group of scientists that seek to cut themselves off from the outside world, but they draw as much attention to themselves as possible in the worst possible way - and replacing people with snyths has no real end goal. Replacing the leaders of wasteland communities to control their internal politics makes sense, but they're also doing the same thing to complete nobodies for no apparent reason.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:25 on Nov 12, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

believe it or not, seth meyers invented the term "clapter." now he's one of its greatest practitioners

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Remember when Hillary and Bill DeBlasio made a CP Time joke?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Remember when Hillary and Bill DeBlasio made a CP Time joke?
nyc media said that this was deblasio's joke and his alone. needless to say, nyc media is loving stupid

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

nyc media said that this was deblasio's joke and his alone. needless to say, nyc media is loving stupid

Oh yeah, Hillary had nothing to do with a prepared skit that they had to approve in advance.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Institute could create whole genetically identical human beings from scratch, but instead of using that technology to make replacement organs and revolutionize medicine, they use it to make slaves. They could turn Kellogg into a cyborg Methuselah, but couldn't cure your son's cancer - because he said that they shouldn't pursue the research that made Kellogg what he was. So your son has an ethical issue with creating cyborg thugs, but not with murdering people and replacing them with biologically identical slaves.

And replacing people with replicants made no sense at all. The Institute is cloistered group of scientists that seek to cut themselves off from the outside world, but they draw as much attention to themselves as possible in the worst possible way - and replacing people with snyths has no real end goal. Replacing the leaders of wasteland communities to control their internal politics makes sense, but they're also doing the same thing to complete nobodies for no apparent reason.

Never played it, but I'm surprised that you of all people can't figure out why a cyborg god cult leader would be all fygm about research into the technology that made him a cyborg god.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the leader isn't a cyborg god, which is the weird thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Institute is just a lovely knockoff of the Big MT

The whole game seems like a 'Nuh-uh, we can do it BETTER' to New Vegas that completely misses every single point

Also New Vegas has LOVE and HATE brass knuckles if you're not into power fists.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i can only comprehend the institute as "why contain it? 'scool."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly just think someone wanted to shoe-horn into synths/androids, because they'd seen ghost in the shell/bladerunner one too many times, and somehow thought putting it into a post-apocalyptic setting would be a good idea. It's not, because it doesn't make sense. Robots/synths are disposable in cyberpunk because that's how far advanced technologically the society is, where as a post apocalyptic setting obviously has no such society

the whole 'replacing people up top with synths' also doesn't make any sense, until you realize that they 100% wanted to shoehorn in the idea of hunting synths in their shooty mans game

thing is, if they ever wanted to tackle the same themes as either of those works, or some of the same themes as in cyberpunk, of identity and such, they could do that, in a much more logical way, without abandoning either the tone or aesthetic of fallout. poo poo, an invasion of the body snatchers analogue would be period accurate even, and you just handwave what poo poo away with FEV or whatever.