Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wednesday 10am in Belconnen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ah thanks

Don't let us down Australia

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Knorth posted:

Don't let us down Australia
too late

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Well, yeah...

But hopefully not about this too

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ili posted:

Yeah we should all move to progressive Victoria and join the UPF.

Still best state.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Victoria mustered three people to attack Dastyari on behalf of their organisation and one of them is a child on the spectrum. I don't think I'd stress too much about these groups until they congregate in large enough numbers that we can kill them.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Birdstrike posted:

My strongly held personal view is that the Court will not force people to anticipate the byzantine mechanics of other countries' bureaucracies. Keane J hinted at this in the last paragraph of Re Roberts.

Ah ça ira ça ira ça ira!

I agree - my view is that the Court is likely to find that if you've legally complied with all steps to renounce and done so correctly, you won't be punished for another country's bureaucratic processes. You can control whether or not you renounce your citizenship and whether or not you do so correctly, you can't control how long it'll take that other country to recognise and respond.

BBJoey posted:

given the fact that labor have been one step ahead of the libs on every single step of the citizenship crisis (see for example when they goaded the libs into going after shorten's citizenship) this seems quite likely

Turnbull is 100% being played by Shorten. I'd put money on it.

As a side note, within Labor, everyone is pretty sure that they're fine, including the MPs who are under scrutiny. I realise that doesn't necessarily count for anything, but by comparison, a bunch of Libs and Nats thought Barnaby and others were illegible, including Barnaby himself.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Whitlam posted:

I agree - my view is that the Court is likely to find that if you've legally complied with all steps to renounce and done so correctly, you won't be punished for another country's bureaucratic processes. You can control whether or not you renounce your citizenship and whether or not you do so correctly, you can't control how long it'll take that other country to recognise and respond.

What if you put it in 6 days before, but were advised it could take between 7-30 days?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I keep thinking Shorten's turning out to be the political equivalent of those tiny Asian old men who appear completely harmless and stand around smiling until threatened, then they pull some crazy poo poo in the blink of an eye.

Then again, it's not hard to dunk on the Liberals now.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Schlesische posted:

What if you put it in 6 days before, but were advised it could take between 7-30 days?

Obviously this is all my own hypothesising (last ever law exam on Friday yay), but I believe the time at which you found out you were a dual citizen would probably matter. I think the court would treat someone renouncing on the same day they found out more favourably than someone who knew, or had reason to know or suspect, for years and did nothing.

As far as being advised it'd take 7-30 days, I think again the factors taken into account would include when someone found out about their status, when they moved to renounce, where/when/by whom they were advised about it taking 7-30 days, and how accurate that estimate actually is (so if they advise 7-30 days, but in reality it always takes at least 14).

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I think Shorten really is just harmless and quiet.

The LNP strategy for so long has been nothing except attacking the ALP/Greens. Shorten is just not giving them a clear target, their one useful narrative can't be used, and they have no idea how to proceed. Everything over the past few weeks has just made them look sad and incompetent.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zenithe posted:

The LNP strategy for so long has been nothing except attacking the ALP/Greens. Shorten is just not giving them a clear target loving white bread and they don't have anything that's sticking to him, their one useful narrative overused pile of horseshit can't be used, and they have no idea how to proceed ability to do what they want without sinking to single digit approval. Everything over the past few weeks over their entire term has just made them look sad and incompetent their innate incompetence shine through.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hell, I could lead Labor to victory right now and I literally don't have a face.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I still think Shorten will be a less than inspired PM and he definitely won't have the "gravitas" of noted raging garbage fire Justin Trudeau, but he's been the perfect opposition leader for this LNP government.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Zenithe posted:

I think Shorten really is just harmless and quiet.

The LNP strategy for so long has been nothing except attacking the ALP/Greens. Shorten is just not giving them a clear target, their one useful narrative can't be used, and they have no idea how to proceed. Everything over the past few weeks has just made them look sad and incompetent.

the issue is that the lnp can’t go after the alp on policy grounds, because the alp is winning the ideology fight. marriage equality, taxes, renewables, education, healthcare: these are all areas where the alp is far out in front of the lnp in terms of responding to the electorate. social conservatism and neoliberalism are in decline, and the alp has seen that and pivoted (not as far left as i would like, cf corbyn, but at least they’re moving). due to its various reactionary cretins and monied interests, the lnp is stuck with a losing ideology and has nothing to attack labor with but personal issues like citizenship and ~union corruption~ except oops, turns out the labor political machine is impregnable, which results in mediocre leaders but no dirt to dig up.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Schlesische posted:

I still think Shorten will be a less than inspired PM and he definitely won't have the "gravitas" of noted raging garbage fire Justin Trudeau, but he's been the perfect opposition leader for this LNP government.

Why is Trudeau a garbage fire?

Last I heard (admittedly a while ago) was that he was the second coming of the lefts jesus (Marx?)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
gently caress no, he's neoliberalism with a pretty face.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Moderate Libs want to push ahead with a marriage equality bill as quickly as possible after the survey result is in.

https://twitter.com/DeanSmithWA/status/929559386535559168

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Moderate Libs want to push ahead with a marriage equality bill as quickly as possible after the survey result is in.

https://twitter.com/DeanSmithWA/status/929559386535559168

“If the result of the vote is Yes, we want protections for parents, protections for religious institutions and charities to be free to express contrary views without being held to account by discrimination laws,” Mr Goodenough said.

“The Dean Smith Bill covers who could marry, and could refuse to marry. But then after the marriage ceremony, the Bill remains silent on what happens if, say, a school teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman. In the future, could they be taken to court?”

Edit: Don't worry, the full conservatives have their own ready, it seems.

Intoluene fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 12, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

E: yeah, Goodenough is one of the tories who wants to bog the thing down. The whole thing is driven by liberal infighting.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 12, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Goodenough isn't moderate, he's one of the conservatives who want to bog the while thing down.

Yeah, noticed my mistake and fixed it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I hunger for newspolls

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

But a Labor source said that would amount to a declaration of war, and it threatened to retaliate by pursuing other Coalition MPs who may be dual citizens.

"If Turnbull wants to fire this missile, we've got the ammo to go nuclear," the source said.

"If I were Julia Banks, Nola Marino or Alex Hawke, I'd be sweating bullets whenever he talks about referring Labor MPs. He is locking and loading the gun at his own MPs.
"We've been doing our work — the case against these MPs is compelling. We know there are even more Liberals to come out of the woodwork."

I can't handle all these metaphors.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Saw this advert on TV today. Can't get much more hypocritical than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m1ZKEowMxY

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/929627640067080192

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Reachtel 52-48 LNP in QLD
Galaxy 52-48 ALP in QLD

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

Reachtel 52-48 LNP in QLD
Galaxy 52-48 ALP in QLD

Oh poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
With the numbers as they are now parliament might be interesting this week.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/hatfulofhistory/status/929156819057913856

I’m 99% sure this isn’t the first time the Australian has accepted an ad memorialising Rhodesia too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

With the numbers as they are now parliament might be interesting this week.

Wouldn't it be funny if Labor use their numbers and the cross bench to pass that audit Shorten wanted. Although I suspect Labor would rather have this drag on and deny the LNP any momentum than bring it to a swift conclusion.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

That assumes far too much competence on the part of domain maintainers, 95% of them won't know the gently caress and will miss it, of course. And we'll end up with shittons of semi-popular [x].com.au sites having [x].au malware redirectors or troll poo poo and everything else being squatted to sell back to people who missed the priority window.

Plus just trying to explain to people 'my site is blablah.au NOT DOT COM DOT AU JUST DOT AU NOT DOT COM JUST DOT AU' isn't gonna work well.

You always have to take into account that everyone is incompetent and all the users are stupid.

I know this was a page ago but I think you may be underestimating the competency of auDA. The auDA works well outside of the government and has operated the .au ccTLD without major issues for years. If you actually refer to their Policy Review page for Direct Registration (https://www.auda.org.au/policies/policy-reviews/au-direct-registration/) you will see that they are analysing registrant awareness as part of their process. Here's some relevant reading (Warning: PDFs):

Phase II Awareness and Perceptions of Direct Registration
Direct Registration Issues Paper

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/929658887984128000

:jerky:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/929657906303086592

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

How many weeks now? 23 or 24?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lets pop those numbers in the 2016 Federal Election Calculator.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

How many weeks now? 23 or 24?

23 Newspolls I think, but they're fortnightly rather than weekly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/929658704336633856

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/929658589035216897

https://twitter.com/BigVic_AFL/status/929658971593490432

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/929658887984128000

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/929657906303086592

Anidav posted:

Lets pop those numbers in the 2016 Federal Election Calculator.

When I was 17, I was dating a dude that was obsessed with WWE and made me watch it. I ended up having a sex dream about Vince McMahon.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 12, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/929667569841160193

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

When I was 17, I was dating a dude that was obsessed with WWE and made me watch it. I ended up having a sex dream about Vince McMahon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

• Locked thread