Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Now I'm used to it I quite like it

Alright just for you I'll turn it back on and give it a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Alright just for you I'll turn it back on and give it a week.

Man I tried it out and it wouldn't bother me but it's not always at the bottom. It is at the top when you have no tabs open and in the middle when you open a new tab, fuckin google

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just lol if you don't ever close your tabs and then don't constantly have the lil smiley face down the bottom

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I can't figure out how to view the doodle on the NTP. No matter what it just opens to the half height page with only my recents. Unlike Blue Trains, mine lacks both the Google mark and the search box, it only has the eight recents along with a bunch of suggestions below that if I pull up.

My URL bar is also not rounded (I know I read about that on one of the blogs, probably Android Police). I have the caret, which I think I enabled via another flag, instead of the bar.

I can't get the search bar to appear whether the NTP is pulled all the way open or halfway. It's not there at all as far as I can tell, and again there's no way to view the Google logo or doodle.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You get the Google logo when it opens from the new tab screen

I can't figure out a way of viewing the doodle but it not something I have ever really cared about to be honest

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Is there a way to get the wallpaper from one of the Xperia themes onto another phone? I'm moving from my XZ premium back to a pixel but drat if swedish midsummer isn't an awesome livewaper.

I tried downloading the apk onto the pixel but it won't install. I can't seem to isolate the wallpaper on the xperia or at least i don't know how.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Is there a way to get the wallpaper from one of the Xperia themes onto another phone? I'm moving from my XZ premium back to a pixel but drat if swedish midsummer isn't an awesome livewaper.

I tried downloading the apk onto the pixel but it won't install. I can't seem to isolate the wallpaper on the xperia or at least i don't know how.

Quick google suggest it's free in the play store

I often find wallpapers ripped from certain phones in lovely wallpaper apps like Wallz or Walli or w/e too

e: oic it's incompatible, that's dumb

e2: idk maybe this has it

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 5, 2017

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Any Gboard users know how to prevent the insertion of a space after a word in an ad hoc manner? Like if I want to swipe a URL do I have to swipe word-by-word and delete the space each time? I'm coming from Swype which allows you to swipe a word followed by a space-to-backspace gesture to indicate that a space should not be inserted.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

clamiam45 posted:

Any Gboard users know how to prevent the insertion of a space after a word in an ad hoc manner? Like if I want to swipe a URL do I have to swipe word-by-word and delete the space each time? I'm coming from Swype which allows you to swipe a word followed by a space-to-backspace gesture to indicate that a space should not be inserted.

Oh yeah same question but for Swiftkey. It leaves spaces in IP addresses that are almost invisible (esp by '1's) that apps don't like.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Messed up thing is that if an app or website, defines the text entry field explicitly as something expecting a period like an email address field, it won't insert the space. But apparently this isn't a common practice and it's been driving me nuts for years.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

You get the Google logo when it opens from the new tab screen

I can't figure out a way of viewing the doodle but it not something I have ever really cared about to be honest

When I hit new tab I don't get a Google logo. I get a search field (squared off), eight suggestions (large favicons, not rounded), and four suggested articles. What's the point of having the bar at the bottom if the second I touch it, it jumps to the very top of the phone?

Eta: This shows exactly what it looks like for me except the caret is to the right of the address bar before the tab counter. That doesn't show what it looks like when you open Chrome with no tabs open (which is how I most often use it) and in that state it looks exactly like the pictures except all the way at the top of the screen with suggestions all the way down.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 5, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

When I hit new tab I don't get a Google logo. I get a search field (squared off), eight suggestions (large favicons, not rounded), and four suggested articles. What's the point of having the bar at the bottom if the second I touch it, it jumps to the very top of the phone?

Eta: This shows exactly what it looks like for me except the caret is to the right of the address bar before the tab counter. That doesn't show what it looks like when you open Chrome with no tabs open (which is how I most often use it) and in that state it looks exactly like the pictures except all the way at the top of the screen with suggestions all the way down.

I get this on a new tab

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Monument Valley 2 is out on Android today :dance:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm a bit shocked today to discover that Flamingo, which is overall a great Twitter app, apparently hardcoded its 140 character limit. Not that I've ever programmed extensively with the Twitter API, so I can't guarantee that it has a "getCharacterLimit()" function. Hope they update it soon. (I don't really tweet enough to justify setting up another app for it, and/or I'm lazy.)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but thought I'd give it a shot: I have an app that isn't loading. If I reinstall the app from the .apk file without uninstalling it first, will I keep my data? Or will it come up as a clean install?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

revolther posted:

Messed up thing is that if an app or website, defines the text entry field explicitly as something expecting a period like an email address field, it won't insert the space. But apparently this isn't a common practice and it's been driving me nuts for years.

syscall girl posted:

Oh yeah same question but for Swiftkey. It leaves spaces in IP addresses that are almost invisible (esp by '1's) that apps don't like.

Looks like there might not be a way in Gboard or Swiftkey. I'll stick to Swype.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

joepinetree posted:

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but thought I'd give it a shot: I have an app that isn't loading. If I reinstall the app from the .apk file without uninstalling it first, will I keep my data? Or will it come up as a clean install?

It should treat it as an update and keep your data

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm a bit shocked today to discover that Flamingo, which is overall a great Twitter app, apparently hardcoded its 140 character limit. Not that I've ever programmed extensively with the Twitter API, so I can't guarantee that it has a "getCharacterLimit()" function. Hope they update it soon. (I don't really tweet enough to justify setting up another app for it, and/or I'm lazy.)
Twitter hates third party apps. Polls have been around for two years and there's still no way to even see if a tweet has a poll attached to it with the API, so I doubt character limits were ever a part of it. I use Flamingo too and I imagine he'll have an update out soon.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

All I know is that Fenix 2 put out an update today that supports the new 280 character limit. I don't know if he's using a workaround, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

datajosh posted:

Twitter hates third party apps. Polls have been around for two years and there's still no way to even see if a tweet has a poll attached to it with the API, so I doubt character limits were ever a part of it. I use Flamingo too and I imagine he'll have an update out soon.

Odd. Considering how many third-party Twitter apps there are and the fact that Twitter seems proud of their API, I always assumed it was really developer-friendly.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sir Lemming posted:

Odd. Considering how many third-party Twitter apps there are and the fact that Twitter seems proud of their API, I always assumed it was really developer-friendly.

They were, but then Twitter realized they didn't have any way to actually make money and started limiting the API.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wacky Delly posted:

They were, but then Twitter realized they didn't have any way to actually make money and started limiting the API.

Twitter is garbage, more at 11

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Twitter is garbage, more at 11

It's hilarious how dumb they are. They do this, and also things like leaving nazis and bots around because it pads numbers, while somehow not realizing that these actions make real people hate the platform and leave

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just got my Flamingo update, by the way. The changelog mentions 280-character support.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 9, 2017

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

This seems like a really obvious function, but a quick perusal of the API didn't turn it up.

If it's there, it's not super obvious (to me)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

SuperiorColliculus posted:

This seems like a really obvious function, but a quick perusal of the API didn't turn it up.

If it's there, it's not super obvious (to me)
I don't think there was much of a use for it since the limit was a hard 140 characters until recently.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

datajosh posted:

I don't think there was much of a use for it since the limit was a hard 140 characters until recently.

Yeah, but it just seems like better coding practice to store the character limit as a constant somewhere and reference it abstractly when doing the "how many characters left" calculations. Anyway, Flamingo is updated now, so yay!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

No, Motorola, just no

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sereri posted:

No, Motorola, just no

Eh, looks fine.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nah it looks like poo poo and like p much no other icon so it will stand out while looking bad

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

"it's still not material enough, Steve"

"maybe if I fold it some more..."

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Sereri posted:

"it's still not material enough, Steve"

"maybe if I fold it some more..."

Lenovo's Moto division announces the Moto F.

Throwback to their 2x2" FlipOut roto folder from early Android days, except both the keyboard and the double-sided display now also fold outward into 4x4" when deployed. Also, every app gets a custom unfolding opener animation and Fold@Home runs whenever you're connected to a charger.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wacky Delly posted:

Yeah when twitter first opened up the API I spent an afternoon and basically wrote the original Hootsuite product offering to help manage some clients. Like scheduled tweets, tweets not from the web site interface, email in a tweet to a reserved address to send it, compile tweets/performance across multiple accounts, etc. It was super easy. Then the request limits. Then the features disappeared. Then my app ID got pulled. I was assuming Twitter was going to internalize all this stuff to monetize as a management add-on, but then Hootsuite appeared, and well we all know how that ended.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just change the option for it?

They're screwing with me now. Bottom right is emoji and I can't figure out how to change this one.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 12, 2017

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

FogHelmut posted:

They're screwing with me now. Bottom right is emoji and I can't figure out how to change this one.

That key should be changing based the text field you're typing in. I don't think you have any direct control over it. developer docs

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Steely Glint posted:

That key should be changing based the text field you're typing in. I don't think you have any direct control over it. developer docs

So basically I'm being forced to have an emoji key in Messages and Hangouts. It's either going to be where the comma is, or where the enter key is.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

FogHelmut posted:

So basically I'm being forced to have an emoji key in Messages and Hangouts. It's either going to be where the comma is, or where the enter key is.

?

e: oh, wait, I played around with it a little more and it's not working correctly. check back next year or use a different keyboard if your zero-emoticon quest is of critical importance to you i guess

Steely Glint fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 12, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Steely Glint posted:

?

e: oh, wait, I played around with it a little more and it's not working correctly. check back next year or use a different keyboard if your zero-emoticon quest is of critical importance to you i guess

I'll just attach styluses to my thumbs so that I can type more accurately.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just install swiftkey and get done with, google board became so bad.