Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Your mom was right. Doom 2 is plenty. :colbert:

Of Hurt :unsmigghh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I miss playing the Adventures of Willy Beamish. It's a point & click adventure, and I remember telling my parents that 'you can do anything in it!', even though you most certainly cannot. I also remember how sexy I thought Willy's animated sister was when you barge into the bathroom and she stands up out of her bubble bath all covered in suds. And I remember getting stumped by the puzzles so I bought a strategy guide that used one of those red cellophane viewer things to look at the solutions in the book. Cheating using that book then became a habit the moment I couldn't figure out how to proceed in the game. Basically ruined it. I wonder if I could outwit it now!

I rented it a few times and despite knowing what to do could never beat the babysitter part. It would most certainly still be hard to outwit now, it's a 90s point and click adventure. They're all obtuse.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My first real video game rage happened during another point-n-click, 'The Dig', at the part where you have to assemble a turtle skeleton correctly and pour a potion on it to bring it back to life. Fucker would never reanimate, even though I swear to god I had the skeleton right.

Full Throttle was the perfect point-n-clicker, as far as I'm concerned. Does this genre still exist, outside of Flash based 'escape' games? Any classics come out recently?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Your mom was right. Doom 2 is plenty. :colbert:

We had that computer for close to a decade and never managed to fill it's 1.5 gigabyte hard drive. I wasn't allowed to hog the phone line for the several hours it would have taken to download the demo for Diablo.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I really miss Frog Minutes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DavidAlltheTime posted:

My first real video game rage happened during another point-n-click, 'The Dig', at the part where you have to assemble a turtle skeleton correctly and pour a potion on it to bring it back to life. Fucker would never reanimate, even though I swear to god I had the skeleton right.

Full Throttle was the perfect point-n-clicker, as far as I'm concerned. Does this genre still exist, outside of Flash based 'escape' games? Any classics come out recently?

Thimbleweed Park is to old lucasarts point and click adventure games as Shovel Knight was to NES platformers. It captures the feel of playing an old genre while having modern design sensibilities.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DavidAlltheTime posted:

the proper term for the genre is "adventure game" and it's experiencing a minor comeback right now

as the goon above me said, thimbleweed park is made by the same guys who did maniac mansion back in the day and it is brutal on hard difficulty

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

These aren't especially recent, but they are pretty good:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I loved The Dig but it has horseshit puzzles. (Just like all the other Sierra games OH WAIT IT'S LUCASFILM OH HA HA HA I GUESS THEY JUMPED THE SHARK.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Oh you lucky soul, you haven't played any games by Wadjet Eye :magical:.

You should remedy this immediately. Primordia and Resonance are good ones to start with, Technobabylon is damned fantastic too. Gemini Rue's the only real dud due to being an early title for them, but it's still very playable. The Blackwell games are also great.

I also highly recommend The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Daedalic Games specializes in Adventure titles. They're German based so only some of their catalogue has Western, English versions, but they're well written and have suprisingly well done English writing and cast.

I've personally only seen the Edna and Harvey games, which are both comedic yet super dark and mental health triggering, and a little bit of the Deponia series, which are very silly sci fi games with a continuing plot-part 4 came out just last year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Daedalic Games specializes in Adventure titles. They're German based so only some of their catalogue has Western, English versions, but they're well written and have suprisingly well done English writing and cast.

I've personally only seen the Edna and Harvey games, which are both comedic yet super dark and mental health triggering, and a little bit of the Deponia series, which are very silly sci fi games with a continuing plot-part 4 came out just last year.

I completely disregarded the Deponia games because I thought they were furry stuff because of the name. You know, ponies.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
One of the Deponia games has a puzzle where you need to get a monkey for a organ grinder, this is done by selling a black woman to him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

One of the Deponia games has a puzzle where you need to get a monkey for a organ grinder, this is done by selling a black woman to him.

:randstare: i...did not see that far into the series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Choco1980 posted:

:randstare: i...did not see that far into the series.

It cannot be emphasized enough that you should not play the Deponia games. The first one's not too bad, but the rest just nosedive into a complete trainwreck.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Daedalic make the worst games. The Deponia series is especially bad, but others aren't much better. Horrendously unlikeable characters, terrible jokes, tedious plots and lazy, dumb puzzle design. To be fair, I haven't played all their games, but I have played Deponia and The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and that was enough. I tried playing the first Edna & Harvey game and couldn't get past the first room.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
In case anyone is unaware, Tim Schafer got the rights back and released a full remaster of Full Throttle last year. Its wonderful.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

... chains of Satnav? :psyduck:
"Click the third pixel... on the left. You have acquired your quest object."

Yes I did see the "i", but still!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

... chains of Satnav? :psyduck:
"Click the third pixel... on the left. You have acquired your quest object."

Yes I did see the "i", but still!

I couldn't help thinking that the entire time I was playing the game.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I'm going to start with Primordia, i think.

I always found adventure games to be a chill and atmospheric gaming experience. Usually there's not a sense of urgency, and you can ponder your next move while looking at a beautiful set piece and listening to a dope soundtrack. That's the ideal, anyway. I still had fun with Hugo's House of Horrors even though it was butt-ugly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Daedalic make the worst games. The Deponia series is especially bad, but others aren't much better. Horrendously unlikeable characters, terrible jokes, tedious plots and lazy, dumb puzzle design. To be fair, I haven't played all their games, but I have played Deponia and The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and that was enough. I tried playing the first Edna & Harvey game and couldn't get past the first room.

The second Edna and Harvey game is a bit better, but like I said, jet black. The first act has the protagonist of the game and her imaginary friend going through puzzles in her orphanarium that pretty much all result in the other children and staff of the place being horribly murdered by her while she remains blissfully unaware.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
If we talking point and click adventures.. I don't think anything ever got me more frustrated than Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bizarre_Adventures_of_Woodruff_and_the_Schnibble
The riddles were so weird and illogical, I sometimes wonder how anyone was able to beat it without a walkthrough. But I still loved the game to bits and spend so many hours basicially doing no progress at all.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The old MSDOS/C64 Questprobe adventure game starring The Hulk is my favorite piece of lovely adventure game logic ever. The game starts with Bruce Banner tied to a chair in a gas chamber. You are The Incredible Hulk. How do you get out of this situation? Do you get angry? Do you get mad? Do you yell insults? Stamp your feet, hold your breath, try and ring the monster out of you?

No. You bite your tongue.

The Hulk does ONE THING and adventure games somehow managed to make it convoluted and annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5CUWXIIUas

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

This thread is making me nostalgic for my first ever dungeon crawler. It was Moraff's dungeons of the unforgiven. It was an absolutely garishly colored first person turn based game. Instead of animation enemy sprites flipped every time they took a step. You weren't allowed to attempt the last 5th of the game unless you played on hard mode which only made the basic gameplay slightly harder but changed the already grindy experience curve to a 2 to nth curve so that every level took as much as all the previous levels combined.

For some reason this was one of the first video games I bought for myself when I got my first credit card in 2005. After playing the shareware version way too much as a child I wanted to see how it ended. It was not yet considered abandonware but I couldn't find the game anywhere. Even the company's website which sold direct downloads of their lovely mahjongg games, and apparently still does, had no mention of it even existing. I ended up emailing them directly and they ended up selling me a zip file of the three RPGs they made for thirty dollars with the caveat that they would offer no support for it whatsoever.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007
Some time in the late 80s my dad brought home a second hand Apple IIgs. The computer came with about five boxes of floppies and we must have had a decent percentage of all the games ever published on the IIe and IIgs. The IIgs was my only source of video games for most of my childhood so I have an immense amount of nostalgia for it. Wikipedia claims, without citation, that "The machine outsold all other Apple products, including the Macintosh, during its first year in production" but, aside from the weirdos at computer swap-meets, I only ever met one other person who owned one. It has always seemed to me that all IIgs exclusives are obscure as no one ever seems to have heard of any of them.

My favourite IIgs game, hands down, was Alien Mind, published in 1988 by PBI software.

Moby Games describes the plot as follows:

quote:

In Alien Mind, players take on the role of biologist and physicist, Timothy Hunter. Timothy has been called upon by his friend Aaron Avery to visit the research space station Zekford in order to partake in the study of two recently discovered, unhatched eggs of unknown origin. Upon arrival, Hunter soon realizes that all is not well on the space station Zekford.

Zekford has been overrun with hostile aliens--the bodies of the research scientists lying strewn about the halls. Timothy must blast his way through the hordes of enemies and solve the puzzles contained in the data left in the station's central computer system in order stop the second alien from hatching and to save his friend.

It plays as a top-down, story driven shooter and was graphically quite impressive for the time. The best part of the game, however, was what greeted you when you first booted it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJuQE-j_rt0

The music still gives me chills.

Between the awesome splash screen , the haunting intro music and the idea of being trapped on a space station full of dead bodies and a hostile alien presence I was absolutely captivated by it. The game is dense with eviscerated corpses that you have to jump over as you flee enemies. Running over a corpse without jumping trips you, giving them a real weight in the environment. It was horrific for the era and so captured my imagination that I remember writing fan fiction for it (before I had any idea what such a thing was).

Unfortunately, virtually every game we owned came on unlabeled floppies. Alien Mind was no different and we didn't have a copy of the manual. This was a big problem as the game used text prompts from the manual as a copy protection mechanism and so most of the game's content was locked out. This didn't stop me from playing the first level over and over obsessively, convinced that I could find a way to progress. Years later I got my hands on a list of the codes but the game was punishingly hard and I don't think I ever finished it.

There's not much footage of the game around but some guy put up a YouTube "review" of it in 2013 (!) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKxKTh6p3ug&t=118s.

If people are interested there's a bunch of other IIgs games I could post about.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Moooooooooooon posted:

It has always seemed to me that all IIgs exclusives are obscure as no one ever seems to have heard of any of them.

This is because making games exclusively for just one particular system wasn't something any of the mid-sized-to-big publishers did.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Moooooooooooon posted:

It was horrific for the era and so captured my imagination that I remember writing fan fiction for it (before I had any idea what such a thing was).

Please post this. Also that's some dreamy athmospheric music.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Guavatin posted:

Please post this. Also that's some dreamy athmospheric music.

Ha, no chance. I wish I still had it. I can't imagine that there is much Alien Mind fan fiction about. I was about 12 years old and wrote it on a notepad at my grandmother's house. I think my dad threw it out because it was too gory. My recollection is that there was a lot of descriptions of the protagonist slipping over in pools of blood and tripping over bodies. Also I clearly remember there being tram tracks. He probably tripped over those as well.

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is because making games exclusively for just one particular system wasn't something any of the mid-sized-to-big publishers did.

Are you trying to say that PBI Software, Inc are not a major publisher?

Moooooooooooon has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Nov 13, 2017

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I miss playing the Adventures of Willy Beamish. It's a point & click adventure, and I remember telling my parents that 'you can do anything in it!', even though you most certainly cannot. I also remember how sexy I thought Willy's animated sister was when you barge into the bathroom and she stands up out of her bubble bath all covered in suds. And I remember getting stumped by the puzzles so I bought a strategy guide that used one of those red cellophane viewer things to look at the solutions in the book. Cheating using that book then became a habit the moment I couldn't figure out how to proceed in the game. Basically ruined it. I wonder if I could outwit it now!

GOG just answered your wish a couple of months ago and you didn't even know.

I have a huge soft spot for 90's era PC CD-ROM adventure and multimedia games. Part of it is nostalgia because that era is how I first got into video games, but I do have genuine appreciation for them because there was so much creativity and experimentation in that time that died off around the end of the 90's. Fortunately I feel modern adventure games have brought back part of that spirit, but not all of it, but I don't think you could really get the full spirit back, it was a unique time in the history of the medium. It sucks that so many CD-ROM era games need virtual machines or fan installers to run on modern OSes nowadays and because of that there are so many obscure ones. I'm real happy that I finally sat down and installed a working Windows 98 Virtual Machine because now I can play the ones I had as a kid as well as new ones that I've learned about over the years. I can just gush about a bunch of them, but I'll start with one of my favorites, John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles.

A sequel to a serialized series of books with the same name, Blackstone Chronicles is a first person adventure game. MobyGames' summary of the plot is good and concise so I'll quote it.

quote:

It is just a few days before the town of Blackstone's landmark mental hospital is opened as a Museum of Psychiatric History. The restoration efforts of the Blackstone Historical Society have reawakened the evil that dwells within the old building. As Oliver Metcalf, the son of the hospital's last superintendent, you have been trapped inside the walls of the Blackstone Asylum. You are compelled to explore its haunted halls, discovering its secrets and solving its mysteries. Yet your only clues to the Asylum's past are locked in the minds of its ghostly inhabitants.

The hospital witnessed many deaths in its short, but bloody history. Now you must find your son before the madness claims another victim...

Despite being a ghost game, Blackstone is super subdued in its horror. There are no jump scares or anything, hell all the ghosts are just disembodied voices that just speak with Oliver when he's in rooms that are tied to them, most are just benign spirits of the patients only seeking freedom from their torment. The real horror comes not from what bumps in the night but the actual real-life horrific treatments that the mentally ill were subjected to at the turn of the 20th century. The real star of the show is the main villain, Oliver's dear old dad Malcolm, who is this fantastic mix of deluded self-righteousness, cold, clinical malice, and condescending paternalism. His VA does such a drat good job.

Overall, its just a great, unique horror adventure game that's well worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkl0ZGPSAfE

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Nov 14, 2017

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What you were supposes to do with the babysitter bat in Willy Beamish was the biggest mystery of my adolescence.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well the game magazines told me what to do but I still couldn't beat her. I think it was a combo of pixel hunting with a fast moving boss that made it so hard. Especially on the Sega CD.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007
More IIgs memories.

"Programming is an art form!" - Brian Greenstone, 5'8"

Senseless Violence 1 was a 1989 shareware release for the IIgs from Pangea Software. It was a shameless Frogger clone in a super edgy wrapper. Instead of a frog you played as a baby. You steered the baby across a river, through a field of fireballs, and across a busy road to pick up bottles of milk. You then traversed the obstacles once again to return the baby to your starting point. The gimmick was that failure would play a graphic death animation for your baby. There was also a completely unrelated, gory title screen, as seen above.

You can see everything the game has to offer in the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1IQohldBJ8

Senseless Violence 1 includes a bitter "About Life" section that complains about the state of development on the IIgs and suggests that the game is intended to demonstrate the development possibilities of the platform.

The world may never know why this strategy didn't work.

My favourite thing about Senseless Violence 1 is that the numeral "1" is actually included in the title, even in the title art.

The sequel, Senseless Violence 2: You Use, You Die!, was released by Pangea in the following year, 1990. The game was programmed by the still-bitter Brian Greenstone (presumably still 5'8", although his height is not included in this game) but featured a different artist, Gene Koh, replacing David Triplett.

Senseless Violence 2 is so different from the first that I can't help but wonder why they bothered to make it a sequel. Unlike the original, which the game describes as "a comedy", Senseless Violence 2 is "a serious game". It is also a very bad, barely playable game. Senseless Violence 2 is a space rail-shooter. You fly through a "wormhole" (represented by a series of hoops) and shoot a series of anti-smoking, anti-drug, and anti-racism icons. Passing an icon without shooting it or hitting the sides of the wormhole decreases three meters a the bottom of the screen (the relevant meter for each icon or all three for hitting the sides). When a meter reaches the bottom the game ends and you are greeted by a screen of text telling you about the vice that killed you.

Everything about the game is terrible. Even on a IIgs joystick it was almost impossible to steer. Your control the steering cross-hair whilst an aiming cross-hair ambles independently around the screen, choosing where you will shoot. The message is clumsy at best and there doesn't seem to be any logic behind the setting. The readme states:

quote:

Senseless Violence 2: You Use, You Die, is a game which is meant as a teaching tool about some of today's most pressing problems: Smoking, Drug use, and Racism...In the game, you have to guide yourself thru a wormhole and avoid objects which represent smoking, drugs, and racism.
In a baffling design choice, the icons that you shoot in game are in red circles with a line through them, making it appear that you are shooting the concept of anti-smoking, etc.

I could only find a single screenshot of the game online and no footage. To rectify this I present you with the following gif:

It is even harder to control than it appears.

And here are some life lessons for you:

Finally, I will leave you with this:

Edit: added SV2

Moooooooooooon has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Nov 14, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

A free copy of MYST? :eyepop:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

John Murdoch posted:

A free copy of MYST? :eyepop:
Yup, I even have an old boxed copy of Blackstone that has said free copy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh yeah...I forgot about Blackstone Chronicles. Something like a year and a half ago I was browsing twitch and randomly found a dude playing it blind. He wasn't too far into it, and it was really cool because us in the chat started working with him on the puzzles until ultimately he beat it in the one day. It was fun and well written imho.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

Oh yeah...I forgot about Blackstone Chronicles. Something like a year and a half ago I was browsing twitch and randomly found a dude playing it blind. He wasn't too far into it, and it was really cool because us in the chat started working with him on the puzzles until ultimately he beat it in the one day. It was fun and well written imho.

from what I've heard it's better written and more creative than the novels

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ambitious Spider posted:

from what I've heard it's better written and more creative than the novels
Yeah, I haven't read them but the books just sound like discount Stephen King schlock where the asylum and its spirits are just there so people can go crazy because of "OOO SPOOKY GHOSTS" and kill themselves. The game is like the exact opposite and really fleshes out the characters of the patients and their plights and is far more interested in exploring how poorly treated the mentally ill were in real life instead of cliche supernatural horror which I mentioned.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Accordion Man posted:

the books just sound like discount Stephen King schlock

if memory serves it was even published in six parts like The Green Mile had been a year earlier

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

I had this gorgeous game back in high school, The Last Express. It was a murder mystery/international espionage thriller set on the Orient Express just before WWI. It was time based, so if you didn't talk to the right person or flip the right switch in time, you were screwed. However, it had a rewind mechanic where you could go back to a specific point. You had 30 seconds to play at the previous save point. After that, the game was locked in and you had to replay the game from that point on. It had a rotoscope animation style and a decent story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0dLiSQmxfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7QBeiIfGGw

volts5000 has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

volts5000 posted:

I had this gorgeous game back in high school, The Last Express. It was a murder mystery/international espionage thriller set on the Orient Express just before WWI. It was time based, so if you didn't talk to the right person or flip the right switch in time, you were screwed. However, it had a rewind mechanic where you could go back to a specific point. You had 30 seconds to play at the previous save point. After that, the game was locked in and you had to replay the game from that point on. It had a rotoscope animation style and a decent story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0dLiSQmxfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7QBeiIfGGw

Oh, this cool game! I was introduced to it by this comprehensive LP of it that really went the whole mile in showing the game off. :D