Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I got it, start with the last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

You're outdated as hell

Looks like you were the outdated one.

Also yeah, last episode of Chaika is clearly rushing things to a conclusion, but it's fine, even if it did dash one of my hopes Akari being the one to become a dragoon, or doing anything at all.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

You're outdated as hell

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There's no such thing as an anime that's too old.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

wanted to let you know, there's a bad batch of Charioce going around. stay away if you can.

update: I'm watching Gatchaman Crowds. It's fascinating and a little surreal. It's not the kind of capital-f Fun that symphogear is - but 'batshit enthusiasm' describes it to a T.

If nothing else, it's fun to watch Hajime just bulldoze her way through ever plot beat and genre convention.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hot Take: Beautiful Dreamer is a good movie but it sure as hell isnt a good urusei yatsura movie

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Same problem I had with Castle of Cagliostro

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hajime owns

Gatchaman: CROWDS owns

Eela6 posted:

update: I'm watching Gatchaman Crowds. It's fascinating and a little surreal. It's not the kind of capital-f Fun that symphogear is - but 'batshit enthusiasm' describes it to a T.

If nothing else, it's fun to watch Hajime just bulldoze her way through ever plot beat and genre convention.

Oh! There's a director's cut for the last episode of the first season that (iirc) never got put on crunchyroll so be sure to track that down. Nor is it on the official English disc release.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Eela6 posted:

wanted to let you know, there's a bad batch of Charioce going around. stay away if you can.

Hajime rules and ain't got no time for bullshit.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

meirl

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Splat of Babylon or Gate of Splatylon?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cool lina inverse

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've disowned snail

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chumbler posted:

The latter.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

a kitten posted:

Hajime owns

Gatchaman: CROWDS owns

:yeah:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I tried watching CROWDS and for some reason, it eventually got a bit offputting for me. I think the setting and social satire were just too uncanny for me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This an amazing title for an ACCA douj

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

There's no such thing as an anime that's too old.

it's you

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

I would've gone for Gate of Babinklon.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

live every day with the thought that that one anime could've been really good and it wasn't

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dryzen posted:

live every day with the thought that that one anime could've been really good and it wasn't

gently caress kiznaiver

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Waffleman_ posted:

I tried watching CROWDS and for some reason, it eventually got a bit offputting for me. I think the setting and social satire were just too uncanny for me.

Could you elaborate, please?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dryzen posted:

gently caress <your favorite anime>

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

yes please

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Could you elaborate, please?

It's been a couple years so I don't know if I can exactly recall how I felt, but the way the characters acted felt really unnatural, and I think that's kind of the point, but it just bugged me.

Also I think I was expecting a more traditional tokusatsu-type structure and style than what it was.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 12, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

one day, technology and god willing...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sindai posted:

one day, technology and god willing...
let me tell you about virtual reality

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I think I was expecting a more traditional tokusatsu-type structure and style than what it was.

i mean the entire point of gatchaman crowds s1 is that super heroes rule, but traditional tokusatsu heroics are outdated and they need to change the way they operate to fit modern society and address threats that are more complicated than evil aliens that need to be punched

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'm not dinging that against the series, that's just a failure of my own expectations and what I was looking for,

E: Again, it's been a few years since I saw it, but I think what bothered me was that the social commentary they had was a bit heavy-handed for me. It was too much.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This an amazing title for an ACCA douj

I hope it's just them eating a lot of delicious bread

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I'm not dinging that against the series, that's just a failure of my own expectations and what I was looking for,

E: Again, it's been a few years since I saw it, but I think what bothered me was that the social commentary they had was a bit heavy-handed for me. It was too much.

Sometimes subtlety is overrated.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Eela6 posted:

a kitten posted:

Oh! There's a director's cut for the last episode of the first season that (iirc) never got put on crunchyroll so be sure to track that down. Nor is it on the official English disc release.

To specify, the director's cut version of the final episode is absolutely necessary viewing for a satisfying ending, and it has to be torrented or otherwise found, since it never got dubbed or put onto Crunchyroll because of licensing issues.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I somehow downed the entire first season of CROWDS in one evening. I don't think I've done that with any show in half a year or more.

:wtc:

It was absolutely fascinating. I'm not quite sure how to put my thoughts in order about it. I've never seen anything quite like it.
I can absolutely see where Waffleman_ is coming from now. In some ways it's approach to modern life and social issues is completely brilliant, and in some places it's so myopic that it produces this weird dissonance.

The whole thing has subtlety of a pair of light-up brass knuckles. But, to be fair, that's what I asked for, and

chumbler posted:

Sometimes subtlety is overrated.

I feel a little sick. I'm going to go lie down. What a goddamn ride.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 12, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dunno there's only one bit in crowds i can think of that could be described as myopic, i'm not aware of any stuff in s1 that's like that outside of the weird bit where hajime says she can just turn her phone off but it's been a long time since i watched it

there's questions to be had about the application of crowds themselves but that's basically what the first half of s2 is about so if any of that's what you're referring to, it does get addressed

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 12, 2017

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i've disowned snail

i own snail

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless fart

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Eela6 posted:

I feel a little sick. I'm going to go lie down. What a goddamn ride.

fly amaze it crore vavry rough...

Gatchaman Crowds owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anything currently worth watching besides Juuni Taisen and Inuyashiki?

• Locked thread