Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Probably just realised she was posting on SA. No big deal.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Somebody did Wuthering Heights in the style of an EC Comic. That's all I have to add.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How often do adaptations of Wuthering Heights just skip over the second half because they think the story is a romantic one if you cut out the child-abuse and incest?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How often do adaptations of Wuthering Heights just skip over the second half because they think the story is a romantic one if you cut out the child-abuse and incest?

The child abuse and incest kicks off in the first half. Well, pseudo-incest.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's pretty rare to find an adaption that includes the second generation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth Walrus posted:

The purpose of the multiple unreliable narrators in Wuthering Heights is both to show that what happened was in many ways beyond human understanding (because you’ve got the literary effect of a whole bunch of people trying to wrap their brains around something inhuman) and to demonstrate that something extraordinary did happen - it’s important to note that when someone describes weird poo poo, it will be something they grudgingly acknowledge because it goes against the grain of their own biases, or they will gloss over it while making it clear to the reader that they’re mistaken to do so.

It’s very much in the vein that would later be pastiched by Lovecraft’s cosmic horror - it’s clear that poo poo went down, and it’s also clear that our tiny human minds do not have the faintest chance of processing exactly what happened and why. All we know is that a strange boy named Heathcliff came into the community one day, that he formed a strange attachment with his adoptive sister, and that when he could not have her, he disappeared, came back as a mighty man of mysterious means, and destroyed said community for the insult, before dying himself by similarly mysterious means.

I was about to say, there's clearly the DNA of what Lovecraft would extrapolate on in that.

Though the latter half makes me think of a perspective flip of The Count of Monte Cristo. (which, by the way, is still kind of a really fun read)

Pickled Foetus
Jan 20, 2009

:stare:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

The "good grief" means that it's Charlie Brown. This is canon now.

Edit: :argh:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Charlie Brown's Peanuts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol it reads like the narrators brother is pranking him

Dominic you rat! How could you give your own brother the sloppy gloryhole blowjob!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Man things go even worse for Forrest McNeil in the novelization, I see

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Forgive me, thread, for I have sinned. I had this thought and pursued it, and now I leave it here.

If Discworld were written by Ernest Cline

* The Disc in all its wonder and weirdness would still be established, but the story would never leave Ankh-Morpork.
* The protagonist would be some common schmuck walking around the city and pointing out all the 'clever' references to modern-day and historic Britain.
* The patrician would be Gordon Ramsay. At least one of his lackeys would be another TV chef like Jamie Oliver.
* The elephants beneath the Disc would be named Churchill, Thatcher, etc. The turtle would be named Elizabeth. The protagonist would take great smug pleasure in pointing out that he possesses the long-lost arcane obscure knowledge about these names.
* The archbishop of UU would be Jeremy Clarkson; the bursar would be James May. Any and all documented activities of the UU staff would be some sort of Top Gear reference.
* The watch would somehow be the antagonists, but like, the early-series, pre-Carrot watch. And they'd probably be replaced by, I dunno, the judges on Britain's Got Talent.

I'd thought of a few more but my head started to hurt and my stomach got all queasy so I had to stop.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man things go even worse for Forrest McNeil in the novelization, I see

Oh yeah that's the good stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Wow, great," I whispered.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

EmmyOk posted:

Oh yeah that's the good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkUqbkN8cPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0iiEjoDHE

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Segmentation Fox posted:

Forgive me, thread, for I have sinned. I had this thought and pursued it, and now I leave it here.

* The Disc in all its wonder and weirdness would still be established, but the story would never leave Ankh-Morpork.
* The protagonist would be some common schmuck walking around the city and pointing out all the 'clever' references to modern-day and historic Britain.
* The patrician would be Gordon Ramsay. At least one of his lackeys would be another TV chef like Jamie Oliver.
* The elephants beneath the Disc would be named Churchill, Thatcher, etc. The turtle would be named Elizabeth. The protagonist would take great smug pleasure in pointing out that he possesses the long-lost arcane obscure knowledge about these names.
* The archbishop of UU would be Jeremy Clarkson; the bursar would be James May. Any and all documented activities of the UU staff would be some sort of Top Gear reference.
* The watch would somehow be the antagonists, but like, the early-series, pre-Carrot watch. And they'd probably be replaced by, I dunno, the judges on Britain's Got Talent.

I'd thought of a few more but my head started to hurt and my stomach got all queasy so I had to stop.

just write the fanfiction so we can make fun of it

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Segmentation Fox posted:

this fake book you made up really sucks

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I'm in a book club and our selection for this month was Special Topics in Calamity Physics. I feel like the author read a few pages of a Jonathan Franzen novel and went "pfft, I could do this."

It's ostensibly a murder mystery, but I'm like 200-something pages in and nobody has been murdered. I guess one of the characters hanged herself, but that was in a flashback or something. The main character is a high school girl named Blue with an obvious crush on her dad and the chapters aren't given chapter titles but instead are named after other books. Every reference is given an MLA citation. There are a shitload of references. I'm probably not going to finish this book. I hate it so much.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Here, this is the big deal: she and the father are vampires. No, that's just my theory about it, but it makes the book more interesting.

The person who killed Hannah is Andreo, who is mentioned as having been present at another mysterious "suicide by hanging" connected to the Nightwatchmen. But it's obfuscated because Pessl didn't want to write a traditional mystery.

Her second book, Night Film, is much better.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Nov 12, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Here, this is the big deal: she and the father are vampires. No, that's just my theory about it, but it makes the book more interesting.

The person who killed Hannah is Andreo, who is mentioned as having been present at another mysterious "suicide by hanging" connected to the Nightwatchmen. But it's obfuscated because Pessl didn't want to write a traditional mystery.

Her second book, Night Film, is much better.

Uh what? Night Film is terrible, and also deserves to be in this thread. Most of the characters are two-dimensional and are often stereotypes. The book also tries to be multi-media which potentially could have been cool. Unfortunately, every image/document/article is made redundant due to the fact that the main text always explains exactly what is in those multi-media elements. Also, the book's main focus is about a genius filmmaker, but the author certainly isn't one, so the text is obsessed with talking about the director's motifs and how deep and meaningful they are. Its not very convincing that the films are so profound that they cause people to become crazy murderers or have mental breakdowns.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I don't think Night Film is a great book, but it is so much better than STiCP.

Agree about the terrible characterization. The dialogue is also poor, but leaps ahead of the "poo poo that was never said.txt" of STiCP.

If people want to read actually good weird fiction about movies, I recommend Flicker by Theodore Roszak and Only the Dead Know Burbank by Bradford Tatum. Also honorable mention to Dracula Cha Cha Cha by Kim Newman.

ETA: The reason Night Film explains the multimedia stuff is because most of it didn't work properly. Plus they didn't think olds would use the app. I am an old who used the app and some of the web content was cool, but a lot of times I got redirected to garbage or 404ed. I guess they worked it out eventually?

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Nov 12, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any multi-media book that doesn't suck? My exposure to them has largely been either very try-hard YA or douchbags trying to sell their terrible music, but maybe that's just one small corner.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

17776 is pretty cool

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

there wolf posted:

Is there any multi-media book that doesn't suck? My exposure to them has largely been either very try-hard YA or douchbags trying to sell their terrible music, but maybe that's just one small corner.
Level 26: Dark Origins is neither of those things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlbieQuirky posted:

Also honorable mention to Dracula Cha Cha Cha by Kim Newman.

I don't think that one is really about movies - it's a parody of Fellini movies (and also James Bond) but it's not really about movies. However, a couple of the stories in Johnny Alucard are more about movies - the "Coppola's Dracula" story where Francis Ford Coppola makes Dracula in Romania in 1974 and it plays out as a big parody of the production of Apocalypse Now.

There was also "Famous Monsters", where one of the Martians from War of the Worlds stays on Earth and becomes a Hollywood character actor who resents always playing "the Martian".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don't think Night Film is a great book, but it is so much better than STiCP.

Agree about the terrible characterization. The dialogue is also poor, but leaps ahead of the "poo poo that was never said.txt" of STiCP.

If people want to read actually good weird fiction about movies, I recommend Flicker by Theodore Roszak and Only the Dead Know Burbank by Bradford Tatum. Also honorable mention to Dracula Cha Cha Cha by Kim Newman.

ETA: The reason Night Film explains the multimedia stuff is because most of it didn't work properly. Plus they didn't think olds would use the app. I am an old who used the app and some of the web content was cool, but a lot of times I got redirected to garbage or 404ed. I guess they worked it out eventually?

IIRC, any websites actually existing was rather peripheral to the purpose of the multimedia stuff. It was epistolary horror in the vein of Dracula or Charles Dexter Ward, where the e-mails and websites were part of the story more than they were actual, physical objects. Special editions of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward coming with a whole stack of musty letters would be fun, but it’s not central to what the story is trying to do.

Plus, building your story that way boosts its lifespan - it means that the story is still comprehensible after the technological gimmicks have become obsolete, unused, and unsupported.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I liked sticp, but nightfilm is way better. I cut sticp a bit of slack because it’s a first novel. I mean it’s not perfect, but drat if it isn’t a farsight better than most things posted here, first novel or otherwise

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I guess what gets me about STiCP is that there are moments of real, engaging writing-- for example, I found myself genuinely drawn into the part where they see Hannah at the truck stop. But as soon as that's done, it falls right back into the "look how much stuff I know" references and the taking three very long paragraphs to say anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I Don't Even Own a Television covered that one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

So the answer is no.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yea but it still sucks.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:thejoke:

God dammit, how does the easiest, most basic joke I could have made go over anyone's head in this thread?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

:thejoke:

God dammit, how does the easiest, most basic joke I could have made go over anyone's head in this thread?

Ah, I see you’re new to PYF. Welcome! Make yourself at home!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

there wolf posted:

Homestuck :q:

Serious answer: Hobo Lobo of Hamelin (if the guy ever finished it)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Say what you will about Homestuck, it's very much an experience that wouldn't work as solely a physical medium.

He says, as they prepare to do a print run of the whole comic.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It was by far the funniest book I have read, does that count for nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I started reading Jack Whyte's The Skystone on the bus and got to a bit over 100 pages in when the main character (I think?) started foot-loving his business partner's sister and now I guess I have nothing to read on the way home today :(